• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trumaine just became the highest paid CB in the NFL

We can congratulate Tru on getting the franchise tag and a guaranteed paycheck of around $16 million, but I am guessing he hopes he can sign a long term contract for around $10-12 million per year. Injuries always worry me and Tru didn't quite have the same year in 2016 as he did in 2015.

The_Real_Chief said:
George Ferguson said:
kemajic said:
The_Real_Chief said:
I'd rather try and strike gold with the Montana kids, its HARD and rare for a Trumaine to fall to us and not get scooped up by the bigger schools
Your "rather" is your privilege; I'd rather be competitive in DI football. What's HARD and rare is finding Montana kids that can play at that level. The idea that you can be competitive in DI football with mostly MT kids is naïve. Even the NAIA programs use a lot of out-of-state players. Just about every FCS program lives off the leavings of the FBS programs.

Yup.....

I respectfully disagree, lets look at ex griz players in the NFL and where they are from. Colt Anderson, Dan Carpenter, Brock Coyle, Marc Mariani, Chase Reynolds, Jordan Tripp all Montana boys. Tru, Holmes, and Jimmy Wilson non Montana guys.so many guys from our state have two things that get overlooked by other teams. They don't have the national exposure, so they aren't on anyone's radar and secondly they have a chip on their shoulder the second they get to Missoula. Not to mention the above mentioned Montana kids were all model citizens and have done an EXCELLENT job representing our program and state. Not to mention they are excellent role models for other kids coming up in Montana football as an example of hard work dedication and grit can get you to the NFL no matter if you play football in Drummond or Missoula. I'm not meaning this as a knock on Tru, Holmes, and Jimmy they obviously took an opportunity at Montana and made something of it as well, but it just seems over time a majority of our program's best players have been instate talent and I get that we can't just have a team full of local kids, that wouldn't work. But I think the secret sauce to Montana's success is finding those instate kids with a chip on their shoulder and understand the history and tradition of Montana football sprinkled in with a few out of state guys that will learn this when they arrive is what we need. Congrats to Tru for his contract and continued success in the NFL though, this is a great recruiting tool for us and I hope to see Tru come back to Missoula and give back to our young Montana football players and be someone for them to look up too.

I'm not really getting what you are "respectfully disagreeing" with. Is there a ratio of Montana players that needs to be met to please you? I really think you are saying the same things as Kem. Obviously, UM needs to get, and continue to get, the best home grown talent. But the out of state "opportunist",as you call them, are an important part of the recruiting mix also. It has been a formula that has worked well for UM in the past and it should continue to work in the future if Stitt chooses to pursue that recruiting strategy. Getting back on top as a football program should reignite the interest of top quality out of state recruits. As far as comparing Tru to those homegrown Montana NFL players, I'd be cautious. IMO, Tru is a significantly better prospect than any body in that group.....

BDizzle said:
We can congratulate Tru on getting the franchise tag and a guaranteed paycheck of around $16 million, but I am guessing he hopes he can sign a long term contract for around $10-12 million per year. Injuries always worry me and Tru didn't quite have the same year in 2016 as he did in 2015.

I thought this exact same thing when I heard they franchised him for the second straight year. You ask any NFL player that gets the franchise tag, they would say they would much rather have a long-term deal because it basically can screw guys if they get injured. Franchise tags are a nice short-term gain but have zero long-term guarantees attached.

CV Griz Fan said:
The_Real_Chief said:
George Ferguson said:
kemajic said:
Your "rather" is your privilege; I'd rather be competitive in DI football. What's HARD and rare is finding Montana kids that can play at that level. The idea that you can be competitive in DI football with mostly MT kids is naïve. Even the NAIA programs use a lot of out-of-state players. Just about every FCS program lives off the leavings of the FBS programs.

Yup.....

I respectfully disagree, lets look at ex griz players in the NFL and where they are from. Colt Anderson, Dan Carpenter, Brock Coyle, Marc Mariani, Chase Reynolds, Jordan Tripp all Montana boys. Tru, Holmes, and Jimmy Wilson non Montana guys.so many guys from our state have two things that get overlooked by other teams. They don't have the national exposure, so they aren't on anyone's radar and secondly they have a chip on their shoulder the second they get to Missoula. Not to mention the above mentioned Montana kids were all model citizens and have done an EXCELLENT job representing our program and state. Not to mention they are excellent role models for other kids coming up in Montana football as an example of hard work dedication and grit can get you to the NFL no matter if you play football in Drummond or Missoula. I'm not meaning this as a knock on Tru, Holmes, and Jimmy they obviously took an opportunity at Montana and made something of it as well, but it just seems over time a majority of our program's best players have been instate talent and I get that we can't just have a team full of local kids, that wouldn't work. But I think the secret sauce to Montana's success is finding those instate kids with a chip on their shoulder and understand the history and tradition of Montana football sprinkled in with a few out of state guys that will learn this when they arrive is what we need. Congrats to Tru for his contract and continued success in the NFL though, this is a great recruiting tool for us and I hope to see Tru come back to Missoula and give back to our young Montana football players and be someone for them to look up too.

I'm not really getting what you are "respectfully disagreeing" with. Is there a ratio of Montana players that needs to be met to please you? I really think you are saying the same things as Kem. Obviously, UM needs to get, and continue to get, the best home grown talent. But the out of state "opportunist",as you call them, are an important part of the recruiting mix also. It has been a formula that has worked well for UM in the past and it should continue to work in the future if Stitt chooses to pursue that recruiting strategy. Getting back on top as a football program should reignite the interest of top quality out of state recruits. As far as comparing Tru to those homegrown Montana NFL players, I'd be cautious. IMO, Tru is a significantly better prospect than any body in that group.....

No question Tru is above those prospects, but wouldn't it be fair to say Tru is an anomaly? We have produced way more of those homegrown Montana NFL players than the Trus of the world. Shoot a lot of FCS programs have an anomaly every now and then, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Shannon Sharpe, etc etc. The difference between us and them, is that homegrown Montana talent that we have consistently been sending the the league over the last decade or so. These other top FCS programs haven't been able to do that as much it seems like.

VimSince03 said:
BDizzle said:

I thought this exact same thing when I heard they franchised him for the second straight year. You ask any NFL player that gets the franchise tag, they would say they would much rather have a long-term deal because it basically can screw guys if they get injured. Franchise tags are a nice short-term gain but have zero long-term guarantees attached.
We all look at $16MM and think, "dang, that should be enough to live the rest of his life rich even if he gets hurt." But do you know, how much of that he (or any pro athlete) ends up with? I don't know how much agency commissions are or anyone else they have working for them. Of course highest tax brackets, etc. I know it's still a lot of money, but I don't think it is nearly as much as the contracts say on the front end. Do you have any insight on this?

Pin2Win said:
VimSince03 said:
BDizzle said:

We all look at $16MM and think, "dang, that should be enough to live the rest of his life rich even if he gets hurt." But do you know, how much of that he (or any pro athlete) ends up with? I don't know how much agency commissions are or anyone else they have working for them. Of course highest tax brackets, etc. I know it's still a lot of money, but I don't think it is nearly as much as the contracts say on the front end. Do you have any insight on this?

Here is a good article on NFL contracts and what matters in them:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1536490-what-numbers-really-matter-in-a-nfl-contract

Here is an article on the franchise tag:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/16/10956324/nfl-free-agency-2016-franchise-tag-definition-value-candidates

Here is an article on how much agents get paid:
http://work.chron.com/average-sports-agents-commission-21083.html

The_Real_Chief said:
George Ferguson said:
kemajic said:
The_Real_Chief said:
I'd rather try and strike gold with the Montana kids, its HARD and rare for a Trumaine to fall to us and not get scooped up by the bigger schools

Yup.....

You're missing the point. It's about the numbers. Try filling out a roster with MT kids and you will find you have but a handful of DI players. You need more than a handful.

Is there a statute of limitations to suing someone? I mean could the kid who he kicked in the face still sue him at this point since he's making bucco bucks? Or is that time past? Random thought.

kemajic said:
The_Real_Chief said:
George Ferguson said:
kemajic said:

Yup.....

You're missing the point. It's about the numbers. Try filling out a roster with MT kids and you will find you have but a handful of DI players. You need more than a handful.

I agree with you, i'm just saying getting those unnoticed Montana kids has been a secret weapon we've utilized for years. In terms of the NFL its impressive how many of these local kids have ended up having NFL careers. We have the most players in the NFL for an FCS school, most of them are Montana kids as well. There will always be a need to go out of state to swipe up pieces as well though, so yes i agree with you on that.

Allezchat said:
Is there a statute of limitations to suing someone? I mean could the kid who he kicked in the face still sue him at this point since he's making bucco bucks? Or is that time past? Random thought.

How hard did he kick you?

VimSince03 said:
BDizzle said:

No way... YOU GLADLY TAKE THE CASH. $30 mill, 2 years, guaranteed. Bam $$

Multi-year NFL contracts are not guaranteed. You get hurt, you don't get paid.

Allezchat said:

Kicked in face?

PlayerRep said:
Allezchat said:

Kicked in face?

I seem to remember something about a party there was an indecent at were he got into a fight with someone and after the guy went down/was knocked out, Tru kicked him in the face a few times. Big deal say around his sophomore year. Am I not remembering this right/getting two different people mixed up. What was the incident that led to BH banning the student newspaper?

griz5700 said:
VimSince03 said:
BDizzle said:

Multi-year NFL contracts CAN be guaranteed if you have a good agent. Meaning you still get that money even if you get injured.

Allezchat said:
PlayerRep said:
Allezchat said:

Kicked in face?

I seem to remember something about a party there was an indecent at were he got into a fight with someone and after the guy went down/was knocked out, Tru kicked him in the face a few times. Big deal say around his sophomore year. Am I not remembering this right/getting two different people mixed up. What was the incident that led to BH banning the student newspaper?

Tru was not involved in that incident. It was a different player...

VimSince03 said:
griz5700 said:
VimSince03 said:
BDizzle said:

Multi-year NFL contracts CAN be guaranteed if you have a good agent. Meaning you still get that money even if you get injured.

Right now Tru could probably get a contract for 4 years for $48 million with $30 million guaranteed. (I would say that is on the low end) Revis got 5 years for $70 million with $40 million guaranteed back in 2015.

Here is a nice article on guaranteed NFL contracts. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/188169010/guaranteed-contracts-will-not-work-nfl

Allezchat said:
PlayerRep said:
Allezchat said:

Kicked in face?

You have bad info or a bad memory. The kid's stepmom worked for me at the time. I knew a lot about the incident. Fault on both sides. No kicking in face by anyone.

Pin2Win said:
VimSince03 said:
BDizzle said:

You're a millennial, aren't you? :coffee:

Catsrback76 said:
Pin2Win said:
VimSince03 said:
BDizzle said:

You're a millennial, aren't you? :coffee:
Haha. Nope. Gen X'er. Just a math guy from MSU...so numbers are my thing.

I didn't know how much agents took until VIM posted the links. I'd honestly never looked into it.

It's all very interesting to analyze Montana players and the NFL. True has done an incredible job. It appears there's a common thread with putting players in the NFL and that is coaching. A huge part of the equation is how a coach finds players with athletic talent and then develops them into NFL caliber players. The players we are discussing all had athletic ability but were developed and processed into NFL caliber players by one coaching staff. It's important to note that the players are probably still out there in the state of Montana but the ability to develop them may not be. There were more players placed in the NFL in a 10 year period than in the entire history of the program and we have not seen that development since.

Back