• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trumaine just became the highest paid CB in the NFL

As I recall it was Tim Hauck who was recruiting in that part of California and had a line out to Tru.

Recruiting can be a bizarre process particularly as signing day approaches---- doors get opened and doors get closed, sometimes having nothing to do with the individual player. Say a team gets firm commits on so many d-backs and now no more are available--- the rest have to go the line or to offense. So while Recruit A is "thinking" about an offer that has been verballed, by the time he gets around to it, it may no longer be there. And as signing day approaches these things can develop within a matter of hours.

I don't know all the details related to Tru, but I do know that when all the dust settled some of the offers he thought he had disappeared and one of the offers left was from the Grizzlies. Up to that point the Grizzlies had not even been a serious consideration, but Tim Hauck hung in, and Tru ended up packing his bags for a trip north---- don't believe he had ever set foot in Montana before.

I believe Tru was a quarterback in high school and was mostly recruited as a wide receiver, but the Hauck boys both saw that he was an ideal corner.

I remember Tru's senior year. His stats weren't very impressive because no team would throw to his side of the field.

He's the best cover corner in Griz history, in my opinion

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bozono said:
Didn't he play a major role in our win over App state? Maybe the last play of the game?

Yup, covering Brian Quick, who is also still in the NFL, and just signed a new free agency contract today.

grizband said:

Anyone to argue otherwise would be silly. He's flat out the best player in Griz history in my opinion and Tru's #2 needs to be retired.

Who were the D coaches that worked with Tru and helped him develop into what he is today?

This metamorphosis from a WR to CB doesn't happen in a vacuum.

behappp said:
Who were the D coaches that worked with Tru and helped him develop into what he is today?

Kraig Paulson was the DC when he first became a Griz and made the transition. Memory eludes me on who his position coach was. It wasn't Tim Hauck who was secondary coach in 2007, but was with UCLA in 2008, Trumaine's true freshman season, although perhaps he helped see the potential while recruiting him.

From this old thread, about the hiring of Mick Delaney as RB's coach.....it was Mike Hudson

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31117

PlayerRep said:
Yes, Hudson goes back to the secondary. As you know, he came to UM, after being the D-coordinator at SHS, as the cornerbacks coach (and asst coach).

and from the Missoulian....

http://missoulian.com/college/griz/...cle_7f15f0ec-1ded-11e0-a24a-001cc4c002e0.html

Former Griz coach Bobby Hauck hired Hudson in 2005, after SHSU head coach Ron Randleman resigned and most the staff was let go. Hudson was UM's associate head coach from 2005-08, and coached the cornerbacks in 2005-06, the running backs in '07 and the secondary in 2008-09.

behappp said:

Coach Williams and "coach" Swink. I believe Swink, who had 2 years at a JC, came to UM Tru's frosh year. Swink helped Tru, is my understanding. They became great friends and still are.

StumptownGriz said:
grizband said:

Anyone to argue otherwise would be silly. He's flat out the best player in Griz history in my opinion and Tru's #2 needs to be retired.

I dunno about retiring his number. Might be a bit of a stretch but he is definitely top 3 or 4 Griz EVER if not the best. Been saying it for years. There are TONS of people on this forum that disagree. I don't know if they will have much more to say now that he's established himself in the NFL.

Eriul said:
StumptownGriz said:
grizband said:

I dunno about retiring his number. Might be a bit of a stretch but he is definitely top 3 or 4 Griz EVER if not the best. Been saying it for years. There are TONS of people on this forum that disagree. I don't know if they will have much more to say now that he's established himself in the NFL.

Just curious, what your case is for not retiring Tru's number? I think you'd agree that if he was a Montana boy with half the NFL success they'd be kicking down the door at Main Hall to retire his number. Lack of a National Championship? Some minor off the field stuff? I know you are a big fan of Tru's, i'm not trying to call you out, just genuinely interested. :thumb:

StumptownGriz said:
Eriul said:
StumptownGriz said:
grizband said:

Just curious, what your case is for not retiring Tru's number? I think you'd agree that if he was a Montana boy with half the NFL success they'd be kicking down the door at Main Hall to retire his number. Lack of a National Championship? Some minor off the field stuff? I know you are a big fan of Tru's, i'm not trying to call you out, just genuinely interested. :thumb:

Honestly... if he was a Montana kid and was white we would have his number retired and been talking about him being the best Griz ever and named part of the stadium after him etc.

I think he's the most talented player I've ever seen play. I haven't seen much though. Probably around 12 or so years. He's arguably better than even the great DD.

Problem is... he's from California, he's black, and he's an asshole. And for that reason he will be washed over from a lot of Griz nation

Eriul said:
StumptownGriz said:
grizband said:

Really only one poster used to argue with you about Tru's place in Griz history. I think deep down even he knows how great Tru was....

CV Griz Fan said:
Eriul said:
StumptownGriz said:
grizband said:

Really only one poster used to argue with you about Tru's place in Griz history. I think deep down even he knows how great Tru was....

There was quite a few who didn't think he was as talented. His stats his senior year obviously were down but that's just due to them not throwing his way.

Latest posts

Back