• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tweet from Reese....

Lets put this in perspective. http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/16/heartbreaking-pictures-of-injured-syrian-children-after-devastating-suicide-bomb-in-aleppo-6577847/

I could pick from hundreds of other pictures from hundreds of news outlets. I think some of you are overreacting.

She's an idiot. It's the last image in the slide show (and still there, as of 4:50 pm CST Monday) precisely BECAUSE they're using it as clickbait.

My reply was very similar, but she did respond to a couple of questions I brought up in regard to ethics in journalism, and some analogies I used. However, she is generating the same paragraphs in all her responses, basically just cutting and pasting much of it.

Well I know a 12 year subscriber who won’t be renewing his subscription to them anymore. I’m completely disgusted with her, and with the whole paper.

EW406 said:
Well I know a 12 year subscriber who won’t be renewing his subscription to them anymore. I’m completely disgusted with her, and with the whole paper.

In my email to her I pointed out that decisions like that could cost them subscribers, and advertising revenue, but she doesnt seem to care.

Truth is you can go to the 406 sports site, and see the same coverage free if sports is all you want to follow. In fact the coverage of local sports is much better there.

ordigger said:
bumping this up, if you wish to voice your displeasure.

ordigger said:
Here is the information for the Editor that is behind this decision. Time to stand up eGriz and voice your displeasure.

Kathy Best
[email protected]
(406) 523-5258

Noted and done. As far as the "Dark Side" goes, it makes my stomach turn 3 of my kids played Division One sports (all10 played through High school) 2 played at the Pro level (okay the pro's played tennis) but the only serious injury which lead to an extended time in ICU and flight to Seattle was a soccer player (split kidney) Oh and one debater who fell down a flight of stairs at a debate tourney in Great Falls and was badly concussed and broke an arm. It can happen anytime/where

AZGrizFan said:
She's an idiot. It's the last image in the slide show (and still there, as of 4:50 pm CST Monday) precisely BECAUSE they're using it as clickbait.

And you know this, how?

sdk.catfish said:
Lets put this in perspective. http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/16/heartbreaking-pictures-of-injured-syrian-children-after-devastating-suicide-bomb-in-aleppo-6577847/

I could pick from hundreds of other pictures from hundreds of news outlets. I think some of you are overreacting.

Totally agree

CFallsGriz said:
sdk.catfish said:

Totally agree

Me too.

'68griz said:
CFallsGriz said:
sdk.catfish said:

Totally agree

Me too.

Papers don't print the name of a rape victim unless they give their permission. Courtesy to the victim.
You don't see the dead body of an accident victim unless its under a cover of some kind. Courtesy to the victim and their family. If Reese gave the ok to use the photo I wouldn't care. No courtesy on this for Reese because he's a Griz football player, plain and simple. The bookmark is gone and so are my Missoulian viewing days.

sdk.catfish said:

Photos like that at least serve the purpose of bringing attention to a tragic civil war. Can you explain what purpose publishing a photo of Reese's injury serves?

Kathy's response is very telling. She clearly has an agenda against the game of football and that appears to be the reason she is/was adamant in not removing the photo. She wants to paint a picture of football being a brutal sport. This injury had nothing to do with concussions. It has nothing to do with kids volunteering to play the game. It is NOT her journalistic "obligation" to show images of someone's injury. Especially when that individual does not want that image shown.

Htowngriz said:
sdk.catfish said:

Photos like that at least serve the purpose of bringing attention to a tragic civil war. Can you explain what purpose publishing a photo of Reese's injury serves?

What makes you think a photo needs to serve some grand purpose, per se? It's a photo. And if you read her response, she answers that anyway. The name-calling and bashing this woman needs to stop and makes people look like meatheads (not that you did that but others have). She has no "agenda" to "destroy Griz football." It's called doing a job. She's not Gwen Florio. :roll:

Frickin laughable.

AZGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

And you know this, how?

Uh....it's there?

I dunno man. My sense is that if it's "clickbait," you need to be able to see it before you click, hence the "bait" portion. If you don't see it, you probably don't know it's there, and are thus not looking for it (clicking).

I'm not offended by the picture. I just think it's gross and unnecessary. If the headline is "Man Brakes Leg After Hit by Truck" (misspelling because Missoulian), and a picture of the dude laying on the ground with his foot on his forehead was available, would they post that? Does that add anything to the story?

To recap The Missoulian's thinking:
1. It's a gruesome picture
2. Public doesn't like it
3. Phillips doesn't like it
4. People have contacted us voicing displeasure about it
5. It adds nothing to the story of a career ending injury

Yep, we'll leave it there and make ourselves look absolutely stupid trying to explain why.
Please subscribe today!

The photo is still up and they are selling it! I sent this email to Kathy Best

The photo you have posted of Reese Phillips is about as classless as I have ever seen. On top of it, it is posted for sale. How the hell do you and the Missoulian get off on making money off of this young Mans misfortune. This photo does not need to be etched into any ones mind.. Take the photo down! News flash for you.. My family who resides in Missoula will never spend a cent for your paper nor will I or any of my business associates ever advertise with this Rag again! Its a shame that Reese can't sue your paper for using his photo without consent. I believe a complete boycott of your paper is in order.

BILLYBEAR said:
The photo is still up and they are selling it! I sent this email to Kathy Best

The photo you have posted of Reese Phillips is about as classless as I have ever seen. On top of it, it is posted for sale. How the hell do you and the Missoulian get off on making money off of this young Mans misfortune. This photo does not need to be etched into any ones mind.. Take the photo down! News flash for you.. My family who resides in Missoula will never spend a cent for your paper nor will I or any of my business associates ever advertise with this Rag again! Its a shame that Reese can't sue your paper for using his photo without consent. I believe a complete boycott of your paper is in order.

They're trying to sell it now? Talk about doubling down! This is officially bananaland.

Back