• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM at NAU (Saturday Feb 11th)

EverettGriz said:
6. Best officiated bsc game I've seen in at least ten years.

Agree... where have these guys been hiding? No ticky tacks and let them play without mugging each other. Every official in the league should be forced to watch a copy of this game.

UofMGrizFan said:
This really is a fun team to watch. Guarantee (regardless of record) nobody wants to face this team in the playoffs! GO GRIZ!!!!

...this team plays like this...
...have the ability to score...
...leo dicaprio in a womens...

... :cool: ...

PeauxRouge said:
Anyway, can you tell us what the deal was with Yanku leaving after last season??? What happened with him and where did he wind up?

NAU is traditionally pretty tight lipped about player conflict, transfers and the like. It's pretty obvious that the Lumberjacks fan base isn't as dedicated to dig up the dirt like some folks here on egriz. I'm merely going on what I heard from NAU's announcer (Mitch Strohman) and read from NAU's and the article in The Arizona Daily Sun.

Conduct detrimental to the team before last year's conference tourney in Reno led to Yanku missing the tourney. It was pretty obvious that he was frustrated with the team/his role last year as he had an up and down season. Here's the azdailysun link:

http://azdailysun.com/sports/local/nau-s-kris-yanku-won-t-return-for-senior-season/article_4329ce3a-c94e-5779-a055-14683160fe8d.html

It seems that he got a contract in the Turkish (where he was born and, if I remember correctly, had dual citizenship) pro league.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Kris-Yanku/Turkey/Banvit-Basketbol-Kulubu/302243

NAU has struggled at the point without him this year as Green and Anderson are still young and Neely is once again out for the season with injury.

GrizLA said:
NAU is really the class act in the Big Sky...best announcers, best broadcast...represent what the Big Sky could be.

The sports broadcasts on Fox Sports Arizona are student run through the school of communications, if I'm correct. There are certain aspects I like while watching other Big Sky Conference team broadcasts but I think that NAU provides the highest quality overall.

Mitch Strohman is excited and wants NAU to win. Some people consider that to being a homer. Unlike some other announcers, he can give and take criticism and is able to look at the game objectively. I both respect and enjoy his broadcasts and understand that this isn't the case with every other team's announcing.

UofMGrizFan said:
Holy crap nau enrollment is 30,383!!!!!!

That's misleading as it includes the multitude of online and statewide site students. There aren't that many on campus in Flagstaff, although the campus is a much different/bigger place than when I went to school there eons ago.

Ursa Major said:
The NAU coach makes Gunnery Sergeant Hartman look like a soft, rainbows and unicorns kind of a guy.

I think Decuire and Murphy have a lot in common with each other. Two gruff, intense, passionate young guys trying to build something in towns where, sadly, basketball isn't a huge priority (perhaps more so with NAU) with either fan base.

MT Jack said:
Ursa Major said:
The NAU coach makes Gunnery Sergeant Hartman look like a soft, rainbows and unicorns kind of a guy.

I think Decuire and Murphy have a lot in common with each other. Two gruff, intense, passionate young guys trying to build something in towns where, sadly, basketball isn't a huge priority (perhaps more so with NAU) with either fan base.

Maybe true but it isn't like Coach Decuire has Fisty breathing down his neck. That's a different, lower type of pressure.

Oh, and where the hell did that game from Samuelson come from? Son of a bitch, that was completely unexpected.

Kudos to the Griz, though. They played with more intensity and passion than NAU did. Too many young guys on this Jacks team not ready to do what is consistently needed. The two posts, Kaluna and Martin, can't win it on their own. Building towards next year at this point.

MT Jack said:
PeauxRouge said:
Anyway, can you tell us what the deal was with Yanku leaving after last season??? What happened with him and where did he wind up?

NAU is traditionally pretty tight lipped about player conflict, transfers and the like. It's pretty obvious that the Lumberjacks fan base isn't as dedicated to dig up the dirt like some folks here on egriz. I'm merely going on what I heard from NAU's announcer (Mitch Strohman) and read from NAU's and the article in The Arizona Daily Sun.

Conduct detrimental to the team before last year's conference tourney in Reno led to Yanku missing the tourney. It was pretty obvious that he was frustrated with the team/his role last year as he had an up and down season. Here's the azdailysun link:

http://azdailysun.com/sports/local/nau-s-kris-yanku-won-t-return-for-senior-season/article_4329ce3a-c94e-5779-a055-14683160fe8d.html

It seems that he got a contract in the Turkish (where he was born and, if I remember correctly, had dual citizenship) pro league.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Kris-Yanku/Turkey/Banvit-Basketbol-Kulubu/302243

NAU has struggled at the point without him this year as Green and Anderson are still young and Neely is once again out for the season with injury.

Thanks for the heads up. There was no denying Yanku's talent. He could be fun to watch but I didn't care too much for his attitude. Glad he's getting a professional shot.

The conference is better when NAU is competing for the top spot. The talent is there and it shows in the games NAU has won this year (and narrowly lost).

[/quote]

Maybe true but it isn't like Coach Decuire has Fisty breathing down his neck. That's a different, lower type of pressure.
[/quote]

Damn it, Ursa Major. I still have my "To Ursa, with love" picture courtesy of Fisty....err...Louie the Lumberjack to post on here. My lack of knowledge of technology is painful.

I'll ask my brother in law if he can help the mentally challenged figure the simple posting of a picture from a phone next time I see him.

MTJack

[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. There was no denying Yanku's talent. He could be fun to watch but I didn't care too much for his attitude. Glad he's getting a professional shot.

The conference is better when NAU is competing for the top spot. The talent is there and it shows in the games NAU has won this year (and narrowly lost).
[/quote]

I wish Yanku was still on the team. He played his ass off freshmen and sophomore years for the Jacks and is their all time free throw leader. Probably would've made his way up the records list for assists and points had he stuck around this year. The youth movement that was last year seemed to wear on him and it seemed to effect his effort by the end of last season. No hate from me and I wish him well in his professional pursuits.

I can only hope that all these freshmen and sophomores getting tons of playing time this and last season pays off when their junior and senior years. It's been tough to be a Jacks hoops fan this and last season.

[/quote]

Damn it, Ursa Major. I still have my "To Ursa, with love" picture courtesy of Fisty....err...Louie the Lumberjack to post on here. My lack of knowledge of technology is painful.

I'll ask my brother in law if he can help the mentally challenged figure the simple posting of a picture from a phone next time I see him.

MTJack
[/quote]
Damn it! Would love to see it, Jack!! I always message Mr. Titlelist about technical questions. His responses are iffy given that he's mostly a worthless sot.

Latest posts

Back