• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM at Spuds (Thurs)

grizonbob said:
Nice win 70-57
With four guys in double figures, according to the stats just posted on ESPN. Rorie had 19, and Morehead snuck in with 10. And those 8 steals were sweet (UI had 20 turnovers total).

Damn nice win!

grizonbob said:
Our backcourt is really special. Griz are a good team this year.

But next year, with what should be a really solid front court, well, that will really be something to see.
:thumb:
I think Decuire really hit it on the head with that tough nonconference schedule. The Grizz will continue to get good, no need to wait till next year. Great game!
:clap:

I have yet to watch the game online. I listened to it at work, though. I was pretty excited, in pregame it was announced that Gfeller would start. I could not help, but smile. After the Weber State game, I posted that I was surprised that Gfeller was not on the court more in the 2nd half. I also commented, that I hope the coaches see all the great things he did that game on the game video break down. Apparently, they saw what I saw, and rewarded him with a start, which he rewarded them back.

I honestly love how he is confidently looking to shoot. I feel he will be a consistent threat from 3 rest of the season. He will deliver most games. It was great to see Moorehead find his shot as well. He just has not looked as smooth and confident this season, so far. I hope this game is a sign of things to come from him. I am pretty confident in Gfeller now, not so sure about Moorehead though. The conference is in trouble if both continue shoot the ball well. Rorie will consistently put up 16 plus per game. Wright is good for double figures most games. Lopez seems to always come up with a clutch shot or play to ignite the team, and is capable of going for 20 any given game. Oguine, is about a week or 2 away from being back to basketball shape. His scoring will likely get more efficient. Pridgett appears to be hitting a typical Freshman wall. He is too good and versatile to not recover. He will find his game again. Dunn, when healthy is a terrific leader and proving to be someone that will hit a clutch shot.

Overall, this team is rounding into shape, rather nicely. Consistent play from Gfeller and Moorehead is a huge key for this team. With one or both of them on their game, this GRIZ team is a NCAA tournament team. With both struggling, 3rd best team, at best in the conference.

#getEWU, #roadsweep

Once again, the bsc makes the officials the primary focus. Sigh. I continue to wonder how long we as fans will stand for it before we demand change.

Great road win for the GRIZ. Onto ewoooo, carrying our brooms.

EverettGriz said:
Once again, the bsc makes the officials the primary focus. Sigh. I continue to wonder how long we as fans will stand for it before we demand change.

I have to laugh at this "BSC Officials" discussion that seems endless in both the FB and BB forums. Weber - Griz game last weekend had lots of weird calls and too many fouls on both teams. Fans hit the forum professing the "BSC Officials" are horrible as they do after most games. Officials that game: Chris Rastatter, Greg Nixon and Glen Mayberry

Watched the Oregon - Washington game this week on the tube. Bill Walton, ESPN2, national TV, Pac 12 Conference. They must certainly have much better officials than the lowly BSC. Officials in this game: Greg Nixon and Glen Mayberry and another guy. Chris Rastetter not on the whistle in this one but know I've seen him in numerous Pac 12 games over the years.

So............??

Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:

I have to laugh at this "BSC Officials" discussion that seems endless in both the FB and BB forums. Weber - Griz game last weekend had lots of weird calls and too many fouls on both teams. Fans hit the forum professing the "BSC Officials" are horrible as they do after most games. Officials that game: Chris Rastatter, Greg Nixon and Glen Mayberry

Watched the Oregon - Washington game this week on the tube. Bill Walton, ESPN2, national TV, Pac 12 Conference. They must certainly have much better officials than the lowly BSC. Officials in this game: Greg Nixon and Glen Mayberry and another guy. Chris Rastetter not on the whistle in this one but know I've seen him in numerous Pac 12 games over the years.

So............??

Mouse, it has very, very little to do with WHO is officiating and far, far more with HOW the games are officiated. In the game you referenced (OR vs WA) there were a total of 30 PFs called. In the Weber-Montana game, there were 47 fouls called. That may not sound overly signicant, but that's an additional foul every 2 minutes.

And for anyone who has watched more than a few college BB and bsc games in their life, this is hardly an anomaly. It's been this way for years in the bsc. Obviously since the same officials don't call games the same in other conferences, it can only be due to the fact that this is the way the bsc WANTS the games to be called, and instructs the officials to do so.

I contend this is one reason the bsc struggles in the tournament and against power 5 programs. The games are not officiated the same and the bsc teams are at a disadvantage. Example, how many times in tournament games did we watch Will Cherry drive to the hoop, force up a very difficult shot because he was conditioned to be expected to be rewarded with a foul, only to watch a run-out the other direction?

EverettGriz said:
Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:

So............??

Mouse, it has very, very little to do with WHO is officiating and far, far more with HOW the games are officiated. In the game you referenced (OR vs WA) there were a total of 30 PFs called. In the Weber-Montana game, there were 47 fouls called. That may not sound overly signicant, but that's an additional foul every 2 minutes.

And for anyone who has watched more than a few college BB and bsc games in their life, this is hardly an anomaly. It's been this way for years in the bsc. Obviously since the same officials don't call games the same in other conferences, it can only be due to the fact that this is the way the bsc WANTS the games to be called, and instructs the officials to do so.

I contend this is one reason the bsc struggles in the tournament and against power 5 programs. The games are not officiated the same and the bsc teams are at a disadvantage. Example, how many times in tournament games did we watch Will Cherry drive to the hoop, force up a very difficult shot because he was conditioned to be expected to be rewarded with a foul, only to watch a run-out the other direction?

Really? So there's a mysterious group of people known as "the bsc" that tell officials to ref differently when they ref games in "the bsc". That way our conference winners will struggle against Power 5 teams in the tournament, rarely win games in it (mostly because of the adjustment they have to make for the refs, not because Power 5 teams have superior athleticism, skill level or coaching) , and therefore not receive as much money and prestige for the conference were they to win a couple games.

These officials must be really good......adjusting their entire style of officiating as they move from the lowly BSC to the Power 5 Pac 12.

Not buying it Everett......Walton and his play by play partner had plenty of complaints about "mystery" fouls in the Husky - Duck game. The similar ref crew did similar job of calling both games.

grizzlyjournal said:
Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:
Mousegriz said:

So............??

Really? So there's a mysterious group of people known as "the bsc" that tell officials to ref differently when they ref games in "the bsc". That way our conference winners will struggle against Power 5 teams in the tournament, rarely win games in it (mostly because of the adjustment they have to make for the refs, not because Power 5 teams have superior athleticism, skill level or coaching) , and therefore not receive as much money and prestige for the conference were they to win a couple games.

These officials must be really good......adjusting their entire style of officiating as they move from the lowly BSC to the Power 5 Pac 12.

Not buying it Everett......Walton and his play by play partner had plenty of complaints about "mystery" fouls in the Husky - Duck game. The similar ref crew did similar job of calling both games.

An interesting discussion on a topic I've considered as well. I've watched several Pac 12 and Mountain West games this season and noticed many of the SAME officiating crews that work Big Sky games.
Understanding that the level of athlete in those conferences is "higher" I still don't see much different. It's the clear mystery calls that baffle me: minor touch fouls, a clear misunderstanding of how to call flopping "interference," charging calls on offensive post players that impede the right of a post to actually "post up." In last night's game the refs came out of the locker room with resolve; the result was a quick run-up of tick-tack calls against both teams. Truly grating. Truly an act of taking the flow out of games and taking away the fun of watching games.

I generally side with EverettGriz (though it couldn't possibly be that the Big Sky has a more stringent policy of officiating... Really? Could that be so? If so, why, for gods sakes?). BUT I would like to hear your take on this, Mousegriz. I know this: several games in the preseason where the Griz played major schools were really FUN to watch, simply because the refs allowed the games to flow and usually called infractions that were true infractions... opting to let some possible calls go un-called in favor of game flow.

My conclusion: The NCAA needs to have a major re-evaluation of officiating over the next few years. Otherwise, this game will lose the electricity and excitement that comes from watching a game flow naturally.

I, too, am interested in hearing Mouse's rational for the differences, if it's not a mandate from the league.

Maybe it's an extension of the favoritism that we see in the NBA; the "superstars" always seem to get the benefit of the doubt while the lesser-knowns and rookies get the whistle.

Perhaps the BSC, other mid-level and lower conferences, and the talent on the teams is viewed as lesser with the need for more referee involvement..?

Look, no matter the reasons, the solution is simple: the bsc brass just has to tell their officiating crews not to call 25 ticky-tack fouls away from the ball and 30 feet from the basket.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Maybe it's an extension of the favoritism that we see in the NBA; the "superstars" always seem to get the benefit of the doubt while the lesser-knowns and rookies get the whistle.

...worst offenders in pro sports...
...professional rodeo cowboys association...
...superstars start out with 20/25 go up from there...

... :wtf: ...

The foul situation has been really frustrating to watch the past few years. I don't have any stats from other conferences in front me, so I can't speak to how BSC officiating compares. I doubt the disparity is as much as some others believe.

My thought is that what we are seeing from the officiating, especially in the past couple years, has been mandated by the NCAA. The super stars all leave after a year or two of college ball, and the qualify of the game has suffered. The NCAA is trying to adjust the way the game Is played to be more offense friendly in an effort to increasing scoring. Presumably high scoring games are more entertaining that defensive battles. What was once considered defense is now being considered a foul.

The unintended consequence appears to be that defenses are not adjusting the way they defend, and are taking more fouls instead. This is resulting in more whistles and more game stoppages which is further grinding down the pace of the game.

In the Grizzlies' three league games so far this year, the total number of fouls called has been 33, 47, and 49. In a total of 125 minutes of game time, that is 129 fouls called, one foul called every 58 seconds of game time.
That's crazy when you think of it in that context.

Complaints about BSC officiating have been around forever, and they may or may not be substantiated, but I do know for sure that some of what you are seeing is a result of recent rule changes by the NCAA

I just checked the NCAA website, Montana is ranked 22nd in the nation in personal fouls per game (Montana State is ranked 7th).

That is over the course of 16 games played this season, 3 of which were league games. It may be a team problem more than conference officiating issue.

My own personal policy is to never second-guess the officials when we win. But if we lose? Hell yeah, it's all their fault! :lol:

Latest posts

Back