• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM at Spuds (Thurs)

EverettGriz said:
I, too, am interested in hearing Mouse's rational for the differences, if it's not a mandate from the league.

Wow...some fun bball discussion with some civil differences of opinion. I haven't conducted analysis of "by conference" foul totals by any means, nor watched games with the main focus being how refs may or may not differ between conferences. My first response would be that they're not noticeable differences.

That said, at least 2 or 3 home Griz games this year, including Weber, seemed to have an outrageous number of calls. There were 8 fouls in the first 4 minutes vs. Weber. I let one of the refs know they were on an 80 foul pace! I think one big issue is the fairly new "clear path" rule. It results in the bizarre calls as offensive players move with the dribble. Many of them far from the basket. This is called inconsistently; it seems much closer early in the season than later in the season. You don't see ticky tacks 35 feet from the basket in March...but you see them in November and December. I think this is true in the BSC as well as other conferences, including the Power 5.

Another observation, very scientific I might add......how often do fans like us watch a game on TV and "see" bad calls like we do in a live game? For me it doesn't matter if I'm a fan of a particular team or not, at a live game I always "see" more poor calls than I do on a televised game. So I watch the Big 10 or Pac 12 like the other night and hear Walton and his partner whine about phantom calls, Washington fans boo on several and conclude that I didn't "see" what they are booing about.

Sports officiating (I'm not one) is very difficult. In my opinion basketball refs and players are some of the most "exposed" of any sport. Right in front of you, no helmets, or bulky unis.

One of my biggest laughs in watching hoops is fan and coach reactions to about every call. Almost every call is a "bad" call if you measure by fan and coach reaction. If it went against my team it's a bad call. If it went against the other team it's a bad call according to that team's fans. How many "good calls" has Wayne Tinkle ever seen go against his team?

Enough of my scientific analysis. I know I'm right!

EverettGriz said:
Once again, the bsc makes the officials the primary focus. Sigh. I continue to wonder how long we as fans will stand for it before we demand change.

Great road win for the GRIZ. Onto ewoooo, carrying our brooms.

AllWeatherFan said:
My own personal policy is to never second-guess the officials when we win. But if we lose? Hell yeah, it's all their fault! :lol:
So true...but on Egriz when the Griz win it is always because the other team is not very good..

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
Maybe it's an extension of the favoritism that we see in the NBA; the "superstars" always seem to get the benefit of the doubt while the lesser-knowns and rookies get the whistle.

Perhaps the BSC, other mid-level and lower conferences, and the talent on the teams is viewed as lesser with the need for more referee involvement..?

Or the Griz are simply fouling more than other teams. Imagine that.

Back