• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM hosts Idaho (Saturday Jan. 28th)

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:
I never was. The reason we lost the game was because of Bobby Moorehead. He just decided he was gonna take over the game by shooting every time down the court and he missed it every time. The vandals would then respond with a fast break every time because of it, so it's his fault.

So you are saying it was a bad coaching decision to have BM on the floor?
No I'm not saying that. I'm saying he should have been smart and tried to get the ball inside to Krslovic or get some ball reversals around the perimeter. He had no right to keep taking shot after shot. He should have realized that he couldn't make a single shot and should have passed the ball.

Didn't seem like TD had an issue. And the Griz issues go much deeper than BM taking a few shots. My guess is Dahlberg is much to warm.

The lack of any inside game is killing this team. Fab is just not a post player. There also seems to be no leader. No floor general running the show. It's straight up iso basketball and whoever can fire up the three ball first wins. Tonight and the last several nights have been very painful to watch.

shot selection is horrible, poor --stand and watch, then react D, but honestly altho there is talent, there simply is not enuf, players playing out of position, trying to defend bigger people, just not enuf to be a total team...next year? that and the crowd reaction is like you see when attending a bbq at the in-laws -

Griz2k said:
The lack of any inside game is killing this team. Fab is just not a post player. There also seems to be no leader. No floor general running the show. It's straight up iso basketball and whoever can fire up the three ball first wins. Tonight and the last several nights have been very painful to watch.

Unfortunately so very salient and painfully accurate comments. Also very weak offensive rebounding--heck rebounding in general and little if any effective defense in our front line.

How many of you folks who are criticizing the crowd were actually at the game? The elephant in the room is the virtual lack of true post players. The Griz have one (Kryslovic). Travis rolled the dice in recruiting two big transfers that have to sit out a year and redshirting another (although medical issues necessitated Anderson's redshirt.) The Griz are horribly outsized every game and I am afraid it is catching up with them. Oguine (all 6'2" of him) jumped center at the beginning of overtime. I think this team will be much better next season with the addition of some very talented size. I also like Travis as a coach and think he has earned some patience given his success his first two seasons as Griz head coach. :thumb:

GrizWhiz said:
How many of you folks who are criticizing the crowd were actually at the game? The elephant in the room is the virtual lack of true post players. The Griz have one (Kryslovic). Travis rolled the dice in recruiting two big transfers that have to sit out a year and redshirting another (although medical issues necessitated Anderson's redshirt.) The Griz are horribly outsized every game and I am afraid it is catching up with them. Oguine (all 6'2" of him) jumped center at the beginning of overtime. I think this team will be much better next season with the addition of some very talented size. I also like Travis as a coach and think he has earned some patience given his success his first two season as Griz head coach. :thumb:

I think there's a lot of truth to this. I think the run and gun style they play probably results, to a large degree, from having much of an inside presence to work with.

fanofzoo said:
GrizLA said:
I just don't get the somnolent atmosphere at Dahlberg, game after game. There is a church a mile away from me in SC that has more spirit and life than a crowd at UM.

It is pathetic the way people just sit there. Grrrrrr

The arena sucks. The layout is awful. The students don't care and should be on the sidelines. Go to a Gonzaga game sometime and watch how it is done. Haslem just sits, watches and does nothing. I have never seen an AD who does less and is completely afraid to rock the boat or make any changes.

GrizWhiz said:
How many of you folks who are criticizing the crowd were actually at the game? The elephant in the room is the virtual lack of true post players. The Griz have one (Kryslovic). Travis rolled the dice in recruiting two big transfers that have to sit out a year and redshirting another (although medical issues necessitated Anderson's redshirt.) The Griz are horribly outsized every game and I am afraid it is catching up with them. Oguine (all 6'2" of him) jumped center at the beginning of overtime. I think this team will be much better next season with the addition of some very talented size. I also like Travis as a coach and think he has earned some patience given his success his first two seasons as Griz head coach. :thumb:

I went to the game. Most of the criticism is right on. Team played a good first half. Came out flat in the second have. Morehead is awful. Wright played terrible and shot too much. Travis' rotations were awful and the team was completely a mess the second half. It's like a different team from 3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, due to work, had to listen to the game. Fortunately, the Big Sky is a crap shoot this season. The GRIZ need to get back to winning. With only one true post player, there are way too many players worn out. The likes of Lopez, Gfeller, and Moorehead are all paying the price for having to play too often against bigger opponents. Those guys have to be beat up. I honestly am surprised that Moorehead and Gfeller are playing as many minutes as they are. This season, they have not consistently shot the ball. Their games are not well rounded enough to justify significant minutes, when they are struggling from the perimeter.

I honestly feel the GRIZ should stick with a 7 man rotation of Rorie, Oguine, Pridgett, Lopez, Krslovic, Wright, and Dunn. Only spot minutes/opportunities for Moorehead and Gfeller to earn back playing time, with consistent play (if that is possible). It has to be frustrating for the coaches and players, both those players are very capable of putting up big games from the perimeter.

Wright is also a little bit of a stigma to me. Last season, he proved to be capable of taking games over with his passing and/or shooting, depending on what the team needed. To me, he was an ideal point guard. This season, his role has changed to being more of a scorer. It really has negatively effected his overall game, especially his passing. He does not create for teammates as often . Sometimes, his teammates are completely oblivious to him. We know damn well he is capable of putting up huge assist and scoring numbers. I honestly feel, changing his role back to being more a creator and distributor would be a great way to get things heading back in the right direction for the team. Sorry, but the role he played last season seemed like a much better role for him, than this season.

Also Rorie seems to be more consistent as a scorer than Wright is. Why not let Wright run the show more, and allow Rorie to score more? I hope the GRIZ experiment with this starting against the Cats. If Rorie is off, Oguine and Pridgett each are showing to be very capable scorers as well. I really don't see why Wright's role is so much about scoring this season. To me, it seems to be negatively effecting team chemistry as well.

DeCuire has to figure out something to overcome the lack of size and post depth. The GRIZ sure could use the guys sitting it out this season. In the long run though, it will benefit the program. As for this season, I hope to see Travis experiment with Wright and Rorie, and stick to a 7 man rotation.

#beatthecats

Yeah, we are undersized. Next year and the year after we will be much improved. Meanwhile, this team can still surprise and is completely capable of winning the tournament. Patience, grasshoppers...

Wow! … a perfect example of why sane people don’t long frequent fan sites. We all knew we were seriously undermanned and undersized this year. What is amazing is how well we are playing in spite of that, especially with the fatigue and beating that that kind of situation confers on a team. A couple more shots dropping here and there and the record would be flipped … and even though everything else would have been the same, everyone would be talking about how great the team is playing and wouldn’t be spouting the foolish armchair point guard nonsense we’re seeing here. We’re playing with an incomplete team, but the pieces to complete that team are already in place … give the blubbering a rest. Even now, the talent on this team is unreal … currently incomplete, but with the building blocks in place. Meanwhile, other teams also have serious, talented people wanting to win as badly as we do, so even in the best of times it’ll always be a dogfight, as it should be. We are not entitled to anything. Quit embarrassing yourselves.

AllWeatherFan said:
Yeah, we are undersized. Next year and the year after we will be much improved. Meanwhile, this team can still surprise and is completely capable of winning the tournament. Patience, grasshoppers...

I went to the game (as always) and thought the crowd was reasonably engaged. Reffing nowadays (constant touch-foul whistles) negatively affects the natural build-up of crowd intensity. I believe reffing is killing the atmosphere of college basketball. That was painfully in evidence through the entire Griz-EWU game and throughout the entire second half last night. Rally killers with whistles.

Otherwise, good insightful comments from a variety of viewpoints. I tend to side with AllWeatherFan, though. This team is a bit out of sorts, but still has incredible potential.

Over a season, tough breaks are usually said to even out at 50-50. This year the Griz are 1-7 in games decided through the last 3 possessions and/or the final 2 minutes. No one hurt more over that missed final freethrow than Michael Oguine.

Idaho is a good defensive team and played the Griz almost identically to the Griz' 13-point win in Moscow. The difference tonight is the shots simply didn't fall at the right times for the Griz: 32% fg shooting in the second half and 20% from beyond the arc (yikes). A good coach can coach shot selection; he cannot as easily coach how the shots fall. Montana had four wide open treys over the final 6-8 minutes that were flat out missed. That doesn't count the odd shots from inside the paint that were missed or missed opportunities. Some of that is confidence, I wager. Can't explain it otherwise. I'm a fan, so I'm not going to criticize these kids who are putting out a lot of effort on the floor, despite being outsized along the entire front court line.

That said, I believe they're still good enough to put a run together that can be triggered by... who knows what? Go Griz.

Morehead is a good player. He is similar to the team in general, and not the only one, and is not playing confidently right now and is just not playing to potential. Morehead is not playing his usual role either. It wont take much for Morehead and the rest of the team to get back on track. Anyone who didnt see some struggles coming this year after losing Breunig last year and our overall depth at the post position and had expectations of a NCAA tourney win this year was blinded by optimism. Not that that is all bad but you need to recognize reality when it arrives and not be too depressed and frustrated.

GrizWhiz said:

Oguine jumped center to start the game as well as overtime. I'm not sure if he can jump higher than Kryslovic but he's quick and he won both jumps against Idaho's center. I also thought DeCuire had a good strategy by having Kryslovic position himself on the Idaho side in the middle during the jumps, so that if Idaho won the tip, they would then have to outjump Krsylovic to get the tip. After watching that game I have the feeling Oguine is going to jump center for the rest of the year.

Back