• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs. spuds at BS tourney (Thurs 3/9)

Mousegriz said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
GrizLA said:
grizzlyjournal said:
The Griz has very promising talent incoming, but Braves84 has a valid point. UND will be tough, and has another touted D1 transfer coming in... as does Weber State (transfer from Utah). Idaho graduates only one senior (who came off the bench)... Sac State and PSU return most of their starters, and the Bobcats lose only Quinton Everett, while getting a touted senior transfer from UVU. I expect the Big Sky to be tougher than it was this season.

That is true every year, or nearly so. But, UM has proven they can beat anyone in the league but Sac State who stands to lose more than gain next year. Still, unless the Big Sky can win the non conference games they schedule against the power conferences, it will always be a nice show for its fans and maybe, that's enough. I am an optimist with this team. We will see next year...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm an optimist too but we just finished one of our worst BSC seasons in the past 10, many others teams in conference return (or have recruited) good players, and Griz fans keep referring to all this stellar talent that didn't play this year. I'm not sold and will stand by my ongoing comments about our guards' size. Watched numerous drives to the hoop by our guards last night (including the final attempt) where a guard runs into a wall and can't get a shot off.....or the shot turns into a double pump scoop that for whatever reason doesn't go in. How many under 5 foot shots did the Griz miss last night? Other end of the court...a guy like Idaho's Sanders is hard stop mostly because he's got 3 to 5 inches on whoever is guarding him.

Holy shit Mousegriz...put down the shit sandwich. Take a couple steps back and take a look at what this team is losing and what they will add for next season. I am not going to say that they are a shoe-in to win the BSC, but they have the guys to be pretty good. Guys they will have available next season should improve the areas they struggled this season.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Mousegriz said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
GrizLA said:
That is true every year, or nearly so. But, UM has proven they can beat anyone in the league but Sac State who stands to lose more than gain next year. Still, unless the Big Sky can win the non conference games they schedule against the power conferences, it will always be a nice show for its fans and maybe, that's enough. I am an optimist with this team. We will see next year...

I'm an optimist too but we just finished one of our worst BSC seasons in the past 10, many others teams in conference return (or have recruited) good players, and Griz fans keep referring to all this stellar talent that didn't play this year. I'm not sold and will stand by my ongoing comments about our guards' size. Watched numerous drives to the hoop by our guards last night (including the final attempt) where a guard runs into a wall and can't get a shot off.....or the shot turns into a double pump scoop that for whatever reason doesn't go in. How many under 5 foot shots did the Griz miss last night? Other end of the court...a guy like Idaho's Sanders is hard stop mostly because he's got 3 to 5 inches on whoever is guarding him.

Holy shit Mousegriz...put down the shit sandwich. Take a couple steps back and take a look at what this team is losing and what they will add for next season. I am not going to say that they are a shoe-in to win the BSC, but they have the guys to be pretty good. Guys they will have available next season should improve the areas they struggled this season.

I will take our back court over anybody's, any day.

Ursa Major said:
Tough loss but a great game. Looking forward to next year. What home did that color announcer escape from?

One, the IQ requirements of which, would leave you whining at the door for entry like a flea bitten mutt, Canis Dufus Minor.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Mousegriz said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
GrizLA said:

I've seen what Griz have coming back and what many of the other BSC teams have coming back. I've not seen Griz transfers or redshirts play. Outside of Howard for GF, I've not seen any other Big Sky recruits (or transfers) play. Someone earlier on this topic referenced several other teams, who they return and a couple transfers that will be added to other rosters. Seems like many "have the guys to be pretty good".

Handbasket, you obviously took in lots of Fresno State, UW and Garfield High games last year and know more about what Griz will add next year than I. Must have also watched lots of the other transfers and recruits being added by other teams in the conference.

I'm a huge Griz fan so hoping your informed assessment is better than my uninformed one.

Mousegriz said:
Handbasket, you obviously took in lots of Fresno State, UW and Garfield High games last year and know more about what Griz will add next year than I. Must have also watched lots of the other transfers and recruits being added by other teams in the conference.

I'm a huge Griz fan so hoping your informed assessment is better than my uninformed one.

I think you meant Fullerton.

If nothing else, the Griz are gonna be a lot bigger. They lose 5'9", 6'2", 6' and 6'5", and gain 6'6", 6'7", 6'7", 6'8" and 7'. They just had to get bigger. I believe they played this year with half a team--a backcourt, and just two guys up front, one a freshman, the other an undersized center. Idaho had their way with us down low, out-rebounding us by...nine, ten? After field goal percentage defense and shooting percentage, I think rebounding margin is the next most important of all basketball stats. You can't score if you don't have the ball.

One other note. We finished at .500. But if the schedule had been the normal schedule with the usual lineup of patsies (Carroll, Great Falls, Western, et. al.) we would have had a 20-win season. But for critical misses at the free throw line, we might have had 20 wins anyway.

I remain encouraged.

citay said:
If nothing else, the Griz are gonna be a lot bigger. They lose 5'9", 6'2", 6' and 6'5", and gain 6'6", 6'7", 6'7", 6'8" and 7'. They just had to get bigger. I believe they played this year with half a team--a backcourt, and just two guys up front, one a freshman, the other an undersized center. Idaho had their way with us down low, out-rebounding us by...nine, ten? After field goal percentage defense and shooting percentage, I think rebounding margin is the next most important of all basketball stats. You can't score if you don't have the ball.

One other note. We finished at .500. But if the schedule had been the normal schedule with the usual lineup of patsies (Carroll, Great Falls, Western, et. al.) we would have had a 20-win season. But for critical misses at the free throw line, we might have had 20 wins anyway.

I remain encouraged.

Seven tough losses on the last possession, four of them on missed free throws. Two more losses where a Griz miss in the final 60 seconds of play kept them from being within 1-3 points.

Interesting comment from Kentucky Coach Calipari today -" if you don't have a post presence then your team is a fraud. Play a team without a post presence and you will see what I mean."
Kinda summarizes the Griz this season.

citay said:

I remain encouraged.

Carroll a #1 seed in this week's NAIA National tourney and rated #4 in the country. Western also headed to nationals. Wazzu best Carroll by 8 (Wazzu took its first lead with about 8 minutes left in the game).

This post not intended to say those games wouldn't be easier for Griz than the schedule Griz played but more to let some basketball fans know how the Frontier went this year. The local Missoula media hasn't had a lick about a Frontier game/team all season.

Carroll won the tourney championship last week over LC State (Jacob Wiley's former school) by opening the game 19 - 22 from the field (!!) and ended up 67% for the game. Pure basketball and lots of skilled players.

They play some ball in the Frontier....with kids from Hellgate, Sentinel, Frenchtown, Corvallis, Hamilton all playing significant minutes. Some on here said Riley Bradshaw would dominate in the Frontier at Rocky.....they took 6th.

Rocky finishing 6th had nothing to due with Bradshaw. He finished 3rd in the league in scoring and assists. You think the Griz didn't have any big men, Rocky was dominated in the paint.

montanamagic said:
Rocky finishing 6th had nothing to due with Bradshaw. He finished 3rd in the league in scoring and assists. You think the Griz didn't have any big men, Rocky was dominated in the paint.

Rocky had Boehning too.....he lasted until Christmas. L & C, Western and Carroll start no player over 6'7". Not dissing Bradshaw here just saying there are some players in the Frontier.

Back