• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UNI is screwing our SOS

get'em_griz said:
siouxfan512 said:
Htowngriz said:
siouxfan512 said:
Easy buddy, what's the problem.

Yeah, we lost to Stony Brook .... so did Richmond, and it wasn't even close. SBU is playing better, though I don't see them winning their conference. MT played St. Francis and Missippi Valley; would you call either of those big time wins? I admit, I thought winning at UNI was solid for MT, but UNI decided they were going to be terrible thus far this season and have also lost to E. Wash and South Dakota. UNI may still lose another 4 games this year, so that can't really be a signature win on the year.

I'm not saying UND will be seeded, but IF, and again that is a big IF, UND wins out, I don't think winning the BSC would have exactly been handed to them either. Again, their SOS works out to about the same as Montana's. We'll see how that changes throughout the second half of the season. Also worth noting UND doesn't get a bye until the end of the season, so even if we are playing "easiest schedule in Big Sky history", as you put it, we're doing so pretty banged up.

Didn't realize we were going to lose to SUU this weekend either. I'll call the coach and let him know they don't need to play. C'mon man, you know as well as I do, anyone can win any given Saturday. Poly beat you, We beat Poly, and if we traveled to MT this year, the Griz could very well beat us (I like our defense a lot, but you guys have a tremendous offense; Gustafson is a lot of fun to watch). Matchups play a huge part in all of these conference games.

I certainly won't say that you wouldn't have earned the title if you go 8-0 in conference, but our respective non-conference schedules have nothing to do with said title.

True, but even our conference schedule is almost identical. Yes, MT plays EWU, while we play Weber (who is having a solid season thus far), but again, its not this huge glaring difference. Its a 1 game difference; but according to BLGriz, it is the easiest schedule in conference history. Seems to be a bit exaggerated to me.

What most people are getting at is the fact that when a Big Sky program avoids having to play both Montana and Eastern Washington in the same season (who are year-in and year-out the toughest programs in the Big Sky), then it's pretty easy to win the Big Sky. Southern Utah had that advantage last year and benefited from it, this year UND has this advantage and benefits from it. Yes, SUU "earned it" last year by winning on the field and UND has an opportunity to "earn it" this year, but Montana and EWU are unfortunately screwed because they have to play each other every year while other programs get to completely avoid them.

Appreciate the reasonable, and level headed response. I'm not expert on how the Big Sky does their scheduling. Are there some teams that are matched up with others, every single year, while others rotate? I suppose MT and MSU play every year? Is that the same with EWU then? You would think they would have a better way of doing that. I do agree the schedule is not as challenging without MT, Eastern, or both. Saying it is equally challenging would be asinine.

I was more questioning BLGriz insinuation, that UND is a garbage team with an easy schedule. Not sure what his abrasive response what about, but whatever.

Good luck against Sac St. this weekend. Doubt it'll be much of a game.

Paytonlives said:
They have had the hardest schedule in FCS bar none... a few wins and it will still help UM
Partially true,
According to sagrins, I beliege NDSU is ranked 4th toughest SOS, UNI is 8th if I remember right and the Griz are 47th.
It will help your SOS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

siouxfan512 said:
get'em_griz said:
siouxfan512 said:
Htowngriz said:
I certainly won't say that you wouldn't have earned the title if you go 8-0 in conference, but our respective non-conference schedules have nothing to do with said title.

True, but even our conference schedule is almost identical. Yes, MT plays EWU, while we play Weber (who is having a solid season thus far), but again, its not this huge glaring difference. Its a 1 game difference; but according to BLGriz, it is the easiest schedule in conference history. Seems to be a bit exaggerated to me.

What most people are getting at is the fact that when a Big Sky program avoids having to play both Montana and Eastern Washington in the same season (who are year-in and year-out the toughest programs in the Big Sky), then it's pretty easy to win the Big Sky. Southern Utah had that advantage last year and benefited from it, this year UND has this advantage and benefits from it. Yes, SUU "earned it" last year by winning on the field and UND has an opportunity to "earn it" this year, but Montana and EWU are unfortunately screwed because they have to play each other every year while other programs get to completely avoid them.

Appreciate the reasonable, and level headed response. I'm not expert on how the Big Sky does their scheduling. Are there some teams that are matched up with others, every single year, while others rotate? I suppose MT and MSU play every year? Is that the same with EWU then? You would think they would have a better way of doing that. I do agree the schedule is not as challenging without MT, Eastern, or both. Saying it is equally challenging would be asinine.

I was more questioning BLGriz insinuation, that UND is a garbage team with an easy schedule. Not sure what his abrasive response what about, but whatever.

Yes, each team in the Big Sky has 2 "natural rivals" who they are guaranteed to play every year. The Griz have EWU and MSU, while playing the other schools are on a rotating basis. While the UM/EWU matchup makes for a great game every year, it is a disadvantage for both schools to have to play each other every year while other school sometimes get to avoid both. That being said, MSU is at a real disadvantage as they play the Griz and have an agreement to play EWU as an OOC game on the years they aren't scheduled as in-conference games. Will be interesting to see how that set up changes once Idaho is in the mix. Could very well see Idaho replace EWU as a natural rival for the Griz.

GRIZFAN20 said:
siouxfan512 said:
get'em_griz said:
siouxfan512 said:

Yes, each team in the Big Sky has 2 "natural rivals" who they are guaranteed to play every year. The Griz have EWU and MSU, while playing the other schools are on a rotating basis. While the UM/EWU matchup makes for a great game every year, it is a disadvantage for both schools to have to play each other every year while other school sometimes get to avoid both. That being said, MSU is at a real disadvantage as they play the Griz and have an agreement to play EWU as an OOC game on the years they aren't scheduled as in-conference games. Will be interesting to see how that set up changes once Idaho is in the mix. Could very well see Idaho replace EWU as a natural rival for the Griz.

Thanks for the info

siouxfan512 said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
siouxfan512 said:
get'em_griz said:

Thanks for the info
For comparison, UND's natural rivals are MSU and UNC. Also remember sioux, your victory over CP came during the dreaded "Victory over the Griz Hangover Week" so don't read too much into that win.

If NDSU losses one more time and either montana or EWU wins out... You would think one of us gets the 2-3 seed possibly. Above say a 4 seed bison. Come on UNI. Haha

Htowngriz said:
UNI beats Missouri State, a team that gave NDSU a decent game, 61-7.
As I said on another thread ... that should be enough to jump them back into the top-25. :(

Only question is: How high will they go? :lol: :lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
Htowngriz said:
UNI beats Missouri State, a team that gave NDSU a decent game, 61-7.
As I said on another thread ... that should be enough to jump them back into the top-25. :(

Only question is: How high will they go? :lol: :lol:
Who knows. Looks like they played their 2nd string QB and he went off for 400+.

Latest posts

Back