• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who's your pick for QB?

poorgriz said:
Copper Griz said:
Member Berries said:
Copper Griz said:
Certainly nice to have options. I really don't think the QB position can be worse than last year. Inconsistent, inconsistent, inconsistent. I have high hopes this year will be better. UW is a tough way to start the season though. Trial by fire if nothing else. My bet is on RP. I think a year learning the system gives him a leg up.

We had some of the best QB play in the country last season... But some inconsistencies. Our offensive line was poor and our receivers were average as a unit. It's simply ridiculous to say it can't be any worse this season. Infact, it's VERY likely that it will be worse. None of those QB's on the roster have any meaningful experience. Phillips was our 3rd best option last season... Let's be honest with ourselves... We are probably going to stink up the field for the first half of the season, then improve to a .500 team by November (when we'll be sitting at home again during the playoffs and looking for a new coach ).

Correct about the o line. Correct about the young receives. Blinders on concerning some of the best QB play in the country. I didn't see it. Immobile and off target many, many games.

And yet BG was your best QB option "By far" as Stitt mentioned many, many times. Most of you guys just don't get it, but Member Berries does. Stitt's "system" puts waaaaaaay too much pressure on the QB, and that's why it will never be consistently successful. Not to mention the fact you need not only one phenom QB to run your offense effectively but rather you need at least two and probably three. Stitt is dead set on that maximum offensive snap count which almost always leads to injuries. It's simple math.

Somebody gets it....

Summary of this thread:

Speculation speculation speculation speculation... we will be much better

OR

Speculation speculation speculation speculation... We suck. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just being real.

Some strong opinions on both sides of the spectrum, but being real, none of you really have a clue how good we are going to be or who the best QB is... i know I don't...

Mousegriz said:
So, with all that to look forward to, including an offensive genius, not even including that dynamic play the " fly sweep " we should advance from a winning season of 6-5 and loosing to arguably the worst team in the BSC at home, to winnng the BSC and pre ordering NC accommodations.

Or just be patient and wait for about another 12 years to be sure to give coach Stitt the benefit of doubt.

The "fly sweep". Have Griz run that play in Stitt's first two years? I don't recall seeing it.
[/quote]

LMAO, nobody loosed to the Cats. The Griz did LOSE though

brewskis said:
Oh no we have to have a good quarterback if we expect to win a lot of games.

Show me one great team that doesn't have a great quarterback (aside from bama). If you want to win then you need to have very good QB play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cubs, the Cavaliers, the Warriors.....all win without a quarterback.

Sam A. Blitz said:
Summary of this thread:

Speculation speculation speculation speculation... we will be much better

OR

Speculation speculation speculation speculation... We suck. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just being real.

Some strong opinions on both sides of the spectrum, but being real, none of you really have a clue how good we are going to be or who the best QB is... i know I don't...

That's pure speculation, Sam. :cool: :cool:

griz5700 said:
poorgriz said:
Copper Griz said:
Member Berries said:
We had some of the best QB play in the country last season... But some inconsistencies. Our offensive line was poor and our receivers were average as a unit. It's simply ridiculous to say it can't be any worse this season. Infact, it's VERY likely that it will be worse. None of those QB's on the roster have any meaningful experience. Phillips was our 3rd best option last season... Let's be honest with ourselves... We are probably going to stink up the field for the first half of the season, then improve to a .500 team by November (when we'll be sitting at home again during the playoffs and looking for a new coach ).

Correct about the o line. Correct about the young receives. Blinders on concerning some of the best QB play in the country. I didn't see it. Immobile and off target many, many games.

And yet BG was your best QB option "By far" as Stitt mentioned many, many times. Most of you guys just don't get it, but Member Berries does. Stitt's "system" puts waaaaaaay too much pressure on the QB, and that's why it will never be consistently successful. Not to mention the fact you need not only one phenom QB to run your offense effectively but rather you need at least two and probably three. Stitt is dead set on that maximum offensive snap count which almost always leads to injuries. It's simple math.

Somebody gets it....

I actually 100% disagree with you poorgirz....imagine that.

I think many of our former QBs would have thrived in Stitts system....Selle and JJ would have both done ridiculously good in his system.

What Stitts system requires is a stone cold mentality from your QB....Brady just was not wired that way....

ordigger said:
brewskis said:
Oh no we have to have a good quarterback if we expect to win a lot of games.

Show me one great team that doesn't have a great quarterback (aside from bama). If you want to win then you need to have very good QB play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cubs, the Cavaliers, the Warriors.....all win without a quarterback.

lol

My favorite part of the egriz narrative if the posters who flip flop from the offense being too complicated to the offense being too simple for defenses to understand depending on how it fits the conversation they are having.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just wait for the QB who can RUN and THROW and this offense will bloom. JJ would have killed it.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
poorgriz said:
Copper Griz said:

Somebody gets it....

I think many of our former QBs would have thrived in Stitts system....Selle and JJ would have both done ridiculously good in his system.

What Stitts system requires is a stone cold mentality from your QB....Brady just was not wired that way....

Again..... then why was BG the best QB to run your system "By far" out of all the QBs on your roster? Stitt is a very smart guy (I'll give him that). He knew BG was your best option to win games. BG is a very smart QB, quick thinker, and he had a cannon. If you guys all think you're magically going to see a huge upgrade at the QB position in 2017 I think you're setting yourselves up for a let down. You may be improved at QB but time will tell.

poorgriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
poorgriz said:

Somebody gets it....

Again..... then why was BG the best QB to run your system "By far" out of all the QBs on your roster? Stitt is a very smart guy (I'll give him that). He knew BG was your best option to win games. BG is a very smart QB, quick thinker, and he had a cannon. If you guys all think you're magically going to see a huge upgrade at the QB position in 2017 I think you're setting yourselves up for a let down. You may be improved at QB but time will tell.

BG was not mobile, was afraid of getting hit, was not accurate, and was a goofball (not sure if that is the best word to describe his personality). I think Cole Bergquist or JJ would've been the perfect QB for this offense. BG was the best QB we had last year because he had been in the system and was a senior. I believe we have options on this team this year that are better. Guess we will see.

poorgriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
poorgriz said:

Somebody gets it....

Maybe BG wasn't the best option and Stitt made a poor decision. Maybe the o line sucked and BG could not get comfortable. Maybe the receivers missed a shit ton of passes they should have caught. Maybe RP never got a fair shake. The point isn't just that fans are expecting an upgrade at the QB - we are expecting an upgrade across the board. Better blocking, coaching, receiver play, chemistry and QB quality. It is naive to think a QB alone controls the destiny of any team. I was not overly impressed with BG. I don't think he was as good as many have contended. A good kid. Absolutely. The coaching staff is more than aware of the issues, experienced (despite some trying to denigrate D2) and they are starting to put the pieces together. I will say once again - you have no credibility as a fan of the Bobcats. You want the Griz to fail and you are scared shitless that the Griz will put it all together. I am on the side of Optimism. Others clearly are not and I respect their position as Griz fans. Your previous and historical posts do not point to a position of neutrality or being unibiased. VIM posts and I take Him seriously. . You - not sooooo much.

PoorG made some good points. I agree with some of them. Don't know where Copper is coming from on some of this (of course, I rarely do with him). My view is the PG is way more on it than CG on this topic.

PlayerRep said:
PoorG made some good points. I agree with some of them. Don't know where Copper is coming from on some of this (of course, I rarely do with him). My view is the PG is way more on it than CG on this topic.

thanks for the detailed and objective analysis, greenie.

PlayerRep said:

Your disagreement is a compliment. Thank you. When We agree - the temperature dips rather low in Hell. I am not one who kisses your ass, nor will I. Consequently, we don't agree.

Copper, some comments on your view.

"I completely disagree that Stitt's system puts too much pressure on the QB. That is the game in general for any QB."

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Stitt's offense, when run will all the options, puts huge pressure on the QB. Can be dumbed down, though.

"BG had mediocre protection and the running game was anemic at times."

Don't agree. While the o-line was certainly not like the days of Quinn, Russum, Horn, Dow, Dyk, etc, it was in the ballpark last year and provided decent protection.

Running game was not great at times, but not anemic. Definitely credible.

"The Griz need a QB who does not overthink, has a leaderhip persona and is mobile when necessary."

Huh? The offense needs a great thinking and reacting qb who makes good and quick calls, good decisions, and gets the ball to the right person. Still says this frequently.

BG was 6th ih the nation in passing yardage per game. 20th in passing efficiency.

"Unlike many of the live in the past Hauck lovers, I have confidence the program is going to get right back on track."

Hope you are right. You could be, but I don't know what your basis is. Almost no experience at qb returning. Indications the offense will be simplified. Hope the o-line is better.

Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:

Your disagreement is a compliment. Thank you. When We agree - the temperature dips rather low in Hell. I am not one who kisses your ass, nor will I. Consequently, we don't agree.

Great. Glad you feel that way. Then, I've given you many compliments in the past and look forward to giving you many more in the future.

Assuming that a mobile QB will make a big difference in the upcoming season, without modifications to coach Stitts offense, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

With that said, Go Griz

Speaking for my self, wish that coach Stitt would hire an OC that is what the Griz need.

spsyk said:
Assuming that a mobile QB will make a big difference in the upcoming season, without modifications to coach Stitts offense, is setting yourself up for disappointment.

With that said, Go Griz

Speaking for my self, wish that coach Stitt would hire an OC that is what the Griz need.

Almost has to make a big difference with a mobile QB, without one you lost 1/3 of your offense (pass, run and throw). Throw in a shaky o-line and the math gets worse.
Still gets me that Stitt thinks mobility is ok but refused to see that last year. I can't believe that Phillips couldn't have run this last year.
Yes BG passing numbers were good but a million bubble screens will do that. Down field, meh.

Back