• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why Can Southern Utah Out-Recruit Us?

How does two guys getting to the NFL pre-season prove that S. Utah out recruited UM?

BTW. S. Utah's coach is gone... they will be back to normal.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am still pissed that ISU ou-recruited Joe Glenn for Jared Allen. HTF does that happen?

I predicted the ridiculous responses that would appear, but then, this is egriz, where homerism is the name of the game.The line up of apologists and amateur comedians just supports the fact that 90% of the people posting on here are total hacks. The facts are, UM has had sub-par secondary players since Trumane left, and he was a singleton among mediocrity. And, things don't look much better for this season. Another fact is that Southern Utah recruited two secondary players good enough to be drafted into the NFl. You can twist it, coat it with sugar, and piss sucrose all over it, but it doesn't change the fact that we were out-recruited by a wannabee Big Sky team. Learn to deal with reality..... it gives your life so much more fulfillment.

AZGrizFan said:
One or two good defensive years does not a dynasty make. Let's see them sustain this success for 7, 8, 10 years and THEN we can beat ourselves up about how we're getting beat for all the best talent.

Did I say that they had a dynasty? Can't you stay on topic without interjected your typical hack apologies for Griz shortcomings? Hell, according to you, we are so great that we should be winning national championships every freakin' year!

There is a big difference in you and me. I post about the good, the bad, and the ugly related to Griz football, while you are simply INCAPABLE of any semblance of objectivity. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, but it just solidifies your status as a poster. :cool:

according to espn SUU has 3 players in the NFL. Linebacker, corner, and safety.

We have 12 players including 3 linebackers, a safety, and a corner(who is getting paid 14 mil next year).

So uhh... solid troll

The basis of this thread shows the very remedial understanding you have on recruiting. ZOMG someone recruited players that were probably 50/50 shots as freshman that they would be good, and 50/50 beyond that that they would become very good players, and 50/50 beyond that for them to be NFL players. Southern Utah got two players drafted.. BFD, probably the first two players to ever be drafted from SUU. Should we be pissed that _______ division II school had a player drafted, thusly, they're obviously better at recruiting? Funny you bring up Trumaine and being in a sea of mediocrity during his tenure here... he played with three other players who started games in the NFL. So mediocre. Get real, man.

I can't believe that UM can not have 24 FCS All-Americans on the roster every year......well....maybe just 24 first team BSC players.....

Atlanta Griz1 said:
a sh*t hole town run by the Mormon church

Is that what you call it now? You can stop digging. I'm fairly certain there isn't a DI corner up there, and the yacht club has filed a good, or even great, grievance regarding your "activity."

Fear of a "lack of institutional control" ruling would be my among my top guesses. Did you guys not send out fliers about Monte and the Capital One Mascot Challenge?

Why not take your hat off to their players who have a shot at the NFL, instead of asking why SUU out recruited the GRIZ? Just like every GRIZ in the NFL, they were developed by their coaching staff, and they busted their ass as at SUU to have their shot at the NFL.

Credit SUU for landing these players. Credit their players for their work ethic and trust in their staff to make it as far as they have. Honestly, to God, a few players in the NFL by SUU does not mean they out recruited us. I agree with AZGRIZ, give this several years to see if they can continue to have NFL prospects.

or they had a lame schedule

Kinda like the Griz do this year?

and got their asses kicked in the 1st round...

they lost by 3 @ Sam Houston State, not an ass kicking at all, they didn't get the luxury of finishing third place and getting a home game in round 1.

WILDCATFAN said:

they lost by 3 @ Sam Houston State, not an ass kicking at all, they didn't get the luxury of finishing third place and getting a home game in round 1.

No this year's lame schedule is NDU... and yes they were getting killed scored a lot late to make it close... but for 80 percent of that game they got killed. Not getting a home game is because they don't have a fan base and the committee looked at their lame schedule and believed they did not deserve a home game...

But then again what does a Weber fan know about playoffs?

Paytonlives said:
WILDCATFAN said:

No this year's lame schedule is NDU... and yes they were getting killed scored a lot late to make it close... but for 80 percent of that game they got killed. Not getting a home game is because they don't have a fan base and the committee looked at their lame schedule and believed they did not deserve a home game...

But then again what does a Weber fan know about playoffs?

SUU was down 10 at the end of the first 16-6
SUU was up 6 at half 32-26
SUU was up 6 at the end of the third 39-33
SUU down 3 at the end of the game 42-39

80% of the game they were killed huh? Sam Houston had to come from behind to win the game, not SUU. Someone was paying attention. :roll:

I know how the playoffs work, I follow them every year, regardless of whether Weber makes them or not. I know games played between non seeded teams in rnd 1 are set out on bids and that's why SUU got shafted, but if they don't pony up the money for the home game that's their own fault, doesn't mean I think it's right, no Conference Championship team should play on the road in the first round. Unfortunately that's not how it works.

Look, I know Montana has a history that every FCS fan looks up to, including me, but don't sit there and act like Montana's shit don't stink, because they were far from badass last year. Montana and Weber last year had similar situations that went in opposite directions, Montana was a botched chip shot field goal away from being out of the playoffs, and Weber was one missed field goal away from making the playoffs.

Sam A. Blitz said:
SUU also has lower academic requirements. That allows them to go after some kids that could not academically qualify at bigger schools. EWU has the same advantage as do some other programs in the BSC. Jacksonville State has taken great advantage of that in Florida. When you are in the FCS that is just kind of the reality. Not saying that is the reason SUU had some top talent on defense, but it is a known advantage for them.
A pretty obvious reason missed by the poster.

Jacksonville St. is in Alabama.

A huge key to SUU's success is their missionary student involvement. Giving kids time to mature and bulk up without wasting time on the sidelines. They previously haven't done that great at recruiting , they instead have just created great players.

Sam A. Blitz said:
SUU also has lower academic requirements. That allows them to go after some kids that could not academically qualify at bigger schools. EWU has the same advantage as do some other programs in the BSC. Jacksonville State has taken great advantage of that in Florida. When you are in the FCS that is just kind of the reality. Not saying that is the reason SUU had some top talent on defense, but it is a known advantage for them.

Not sure about SUU, but UM and EWU are pretty on Par as far as admission standards...You may want to look that one up...

https://admissions.umt.edu/admissions/freshman/freshman-requirements.php

https://www.ewu.edu/undergrad/freshman/requirements

Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
One or two good defensive years does not a dynasty make. Let's see them sustain this success for 7, 8, 10 years and THEN we can beat ourselves up about how we're getting beat for all the best talent.

Did I say that they had a dynasty? Can't you stay on topic without interjected your typical hack apologies for Griz shortcomings? Hell, according to you, we are so great that we should be winning national championships every freakin' year!

There is a big difference in you and me. I post about the good, the bad, and the ugly related to Griz football, while you are simply INCAPABLE of any semblance of objectivity. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, but it just solidifies your status as a poster. :cool:

Still waiting for that post.

MrTitleist said:
I wonder if this kind of logic popped up during the Mariani and Colt Anderson days.

Or the Tyrone Holmes days?

Or the Zach Wagenmann days...

Or the Trumaine Johnson and Schann Schillenger days...

Or the Dan Carpenter days...

Or the Caleb McSurdy days...

Or the Jordan Tripp and Brock Coyle days...

Back