• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

will!

citygriz

i wanted to start a new thread, because after watching every minute of tonight's cavs-bucks rookie league game, i believe this is a seminal night for will cherry and griz hoops. it seems to me that after the bar fight, after the broken foot that hampered his senior year, followed by that ugly game against syracuse, the stars are finally beginning to align for will. more on the stars aligning later. as for the game.

the main thing was, his playing time. he played a bit in the first half then came in roughly midway through the third quarter and did not see the bench again--reason being, he was once again being will, playing hounding, pesky defense all over the floor. the cavs were behind when he entered, and won the game with him on the floor. at one point, the cavs went on an 8-0 run. he bricked one three, but scored seven points, and had one beautiful assist, drawing two defenders to him on a drive to the basket, and dishing to a big for an easy layup. one other memorable moment. he split two defenders near the top of the key (to ahhhs from the crowd) then dished to the wing for a wide open three. might of been wiggins to miss it or the crowd would have roared.

as for the stars aligning. at first, watching the game and how good dellavedova is, i thought, poor will, another bad choice for summer rookie league ball. he's got kyrie irving and matthew dellavedova ahead of him. no way he makes this team. but as the game progressed, it dawned on me that the new cleveland coach, dave blatt, who established quite a reputation for himself in the european league, is a sticker for defense, a la popovich in san antonio. that will played down the stretch made me think blatt was seeing what i was seeing, that there's always room for a great backcourt defender.

of course, if that is true, and will could make the cavs, the stars would really have aligned for him, with the biggest star in the galaxy coming back to cleveland. i think (no matter what the las vegas oddsmakers think) an nba championship this year is out of the question for cleveland. after that? watch out! and if will can play himself onto this team, he could play the same role that norris cole played for the miami heat.

so, okay, he doesn't make the cavs. at the very least, he played well enough tonight to attract a lot of attention from europe. and he definitely played more than well enough to redeem all the faith we've had in him since he signed with the griz.

Thanks for the excellent report, citay. Thing is, we all got to see Will go up against Damien Lillard, so this is no big surprise. He has the tools. He just needs a reasonable shot. And I'm not talking about his brick.

You beat me to this Citay. Keep in mind, summer league is a try out for all NBA teams. Will also had 3 other assists blown. However he did create for his teammates, which is what I noted after his JR year, he needed to improve on. He has definitely improved on that. He showed no fear going to the hole, looked calmer, in control, was seeing the floor as a PG should. He even played some 2 guard. Defensively he played terrific. He was the key player to spark the few minute run from up 1 to up 7. His splitting the defenders , stopping, and popping a jumper on a dime was amazing. His shot even looked smoother.

If he continues to do what he did tonight, he will be on an NBA roster this season at some point. Praying and hoping his health remains good.

citay said:
watching the game and how good dellavedova is, i thought, poor will, another bad choice for summer rookie league ball. he's got kyrie irving and matthew dellavedova ahead of him. no way he makes this team. but as the game progressed, it dawned on me that the new cleveland coach, dave blatt, who established quite a reputation for himself in the european league, is a sticker for defense, a la popovich in san antonio. that will played down the stretch made me think blatt was seeing what i was seeing, that there's always room for a great backcourt defender.
Were u watching and seeing with your maroon colered glasses on? :)
Jokes aside I'm with ya. We all know what Will is capeable of and we all know if his Sr season would have been anything like his previous years, we probably wouldn't have to watch him in D-League, summer league, or even Europe. He would probably be right in the NBA mix already. I, like all of us, am now hoping the league is seeing what we already know Will can do.

Quick question. Has anyone heard anything on Kareem gettin any intrest from any post college b-ball leagues?

citay said:
Were u watching and seeing with your maroon colered glasses on?

no. but i was blatto.
We're u blatto on loacaly brewed Moosedrool? How was your unmatchable-sexual-disco-dancing? Did u eventually become blatteted?

ahh, moosedrool. i totally forgot about moosedrool. i will hunt some down tomorrow.

dance style? "wild bill kelly."

Game updates against San Antonio, will update this post periodically.
1st quarter done against San Antonio. Will Cherry got 4 minutes, 3 points (deep 3 with shot clock running out), 3 rebounds, no turnovers, great defense, drew a foul going to the hole while dishing to a big. He is looking good so far.

Will with a steal and assist to start the 2nd quarter. He is playing 2 guard.
Will with a nice assist, rebound, and nice drive to the hole for 2 in the final 1:30 of the 2nd quarter. Through the 1st half, 5-6 minutes, 5 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal , no turnovers, terrific defense. I am guessing he gets more 2nd half minutes. :thumb:

Will with 5 to 6 minutes in the 3rd quarter. He created and dished for a wide open 3 to Dallenduba (sp?), created and dished for another wide open 3 for another, his teammate missed it though. He scored 2 more points to end the 3rd quarter. He split defenders to get to the hole and made a tough reverse contested lay in. Solid quarter for him .

You all are missing Will's break out game. He is dominating the 4th quarter with 12 consecutive Cavalier points, force a travel call. With 3 minutes left he has 19 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, no turnovers, 1 bad shot. Make that 14 straight points, then drives the lane, everyone collapsed on him, he dishes to Bennett for a foul, which he hits 2 FT's. Then on defense he tips the pass, creates the turnover, dishes to his player for a lay in. Next trip, he finds Bennett for a monster dunk. Cherry has been the best player on the court in the 4th quarter!!! Story of the day quote from announcers, "Will Cherry from Montana, put a Cherry on top." 21 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 or 2 steals, no turnovers, only missed 2 shots.

Announcers loved his quickness, toughness, and well rounded play. Will, Bennett, and Wiggins all stood out. Way to go Will Cherry!!!!

Just tuned in to game a few minutes ago. Cherry has last 12 points for Cleveland. Announcers raving about him, calling his Cavs' "catalyst." After beautiful reverse layup under basket, one announcer said hes going to find himself a place somewhere in the league.

"The story of the day" isn't Wiggins, but Will Cherry, announcers are saying. Great game, Will.

Two more by Will. And now he drives to middle and dishes. Now he dishes again.

Will just took over the game. He looks great.

Announcer: "The story of the day is Will Cherry...."

Other announcer: "If they had ice cream, it had Will Cherry on the top..."

21 points and some incredible assists.

Hell of a game by Cherry, especially that 4th quarter. At one point he had scored 14 in a row for Cleveland. Ended up with 21 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal and 0 turnovers in 23 minutes.

WOW, what a terrific game by Will!!! I just updated my game 2 post. Wiggins, Bennett, and Cherry were terrific. Does Bennett pass ball ever?

Cavs are 2-0 and Cherry has made his mark!!!

After you get past the "welcome lebron" page of the Cleveland Cavaliers website, Cherry is on their front page it looks like.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope and pray he keeps playing well. That injury and little bar fight really hurt him the last few years. He surely looks confident out there. He even had a little swagger when he got it going in the 4th quarter. Hard to believe I went out on the limb after seeing him play live the 1st time his freshman year, posting he has NBA caliber defense, but would have to improve his offensive game. I posted a few times I liked his chances to make the NBA.

It would be terrific for him and the GRIZ program if he does stick. Even with a great summer league, he will have to keep it consistent when camps start up, then have a solid exhibition season as well. As I typed this, the banner on NBA tv highlighted his stats during the Sac/
Charlotte game. I am stoked for him.

Back