• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

will!

Some nice comments from Lillard too.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8cTcLA3nbs[/youtube]

BWahlberg said:
Some nice comments from Lillard too.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8cTcLA3nbs[/youtube]
Always respected him. Super awesome to see him represent the BSC in the NBA. He's now my favorite NBA player that don't wear a Bulls uni.

Does anyone know the details of how a team can pick Will up? Do the Cavs have first say? Is he free to anyone? I'm certain Tom Thibidough(sp?) and Chi would love his D. And their current PG situation with Rose and Heinrich being the only PG's on the roster. I'm certain I for one would love to see him there. Nate Robinson is only 5'11" and he practically carried that team through the playoffs in '13.

alabamagrizzly said:
Does anyone know the details of how a team can pick Will up? Do the Cavs have first say? Is he free to anyone? I'm certain Tom Thibidough(sp?) and Chi would love his D. And their current PG situation with Rose and Heinrich being the only PG's on the roster. I'm certain I for one would love to see him there. Nate Robinson is only 5'11" and he practically carried that team through the playoffs in '13.

Im not sure of dates. If the Cavaliers do not place him on their roster as active or reserve, any team can pick him up. So stashing him on the nba D league roster is risky. I belive the travel roster is 12 players, and no more than 3 players on the reserve status. Hard to not see him be one of the top 15 players for some team. I like his chances of making a nba roster.

i would be aghast if nate robinson were 5'11". but that guy is all coiled spring, ready to leap, bounce or pounce. he plays way bigger than his height.

but will too plays above his height. he's challenged the trees several times in las vegas and come away with buckets or fouls.

mtgrizrule said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Im not sure of dates. If the Cavaliers do not place him on their roster as active or reserve, any team can pick him up. So stashing him on the nba D league roster is risky. I belive the travel roster is 12 players, and no more than 3 players on the reserve status. Hard to not see him be one of the top 15 players for some team. I like his chances of making a nba roster.
Thnx for the insight. I'm super stoaked for Will to get his shot. He's worked hard to get this opurtunity and I'm praying it works out for him. It's been too long to b able to root for a Griz in the NBA.

citay said:
i would be aghast if nate robinson were 5'11". but that guy is all coiled spring, ready to leap, bounce or pounce. he plays way bigger than his height.

but will too plays above his height. he's challenged the trees several times in las vegas and come away with buckets or fouls.
U r correct. I spoke w/out checkin'. He's 5'9" and that might b a stretch.

Here is the link for the summer league tournament schedule . Note times listed or PACIFIC.
Cleveland plays Thursday 07/17 at 5:30 PST/6:30 MST. TV schedule shows game starting at 5/6 with teams to be determined.
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/bracket//?ls=iref:nba:gnav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alabamagrizzly said:
citay said:

U r correct. I spoke w/out checkin'. He's 5'9" and that might b a stretch.

He's around 5'7". I think I remember an interview where he says 5'7"something. Draftexpress.com has him listed at 5'7.75". NBA lists players height with shoes and then usually rounds up from there too, so that's how he becomes 5'9" on the roster.

Game 4 verses Houston: Will started the game, and played 8 minutes. Through 1 quarter, he scored 1 pt, 2 assists, no turnovers, played great defense on Canaan for the most part. He got his hands on the ball a few times defensively, just did not force the turnover. He shot an air ball from 3. It was a little bit of a forced shot. He created 2 fouls driving the lane. He also dished to a big in the paint which got fouled. He is so composed out there, and it shows in how well he has been taking care of the ball this whole summer league. Updates to follow in this post.

2nd quarter, Will came back in with 8 minutes left. Damn, his luck!! Again a post player blows an absolutely terrific assist for him!! He made a terrific bounce pass to Bennett, then Bennett tried to do too much with it and missed badly. I think Will should have at least 10 more assists in this tournament. Beautiful cross over left to right, pops and stops on a dime, fades away slightly, swish from 15 feet out (beautiful move). Sets up Bennett for 3 with a short pass and screened the defender after the pass ( I doubt he gets an assist on it though).
Defensive rebound coast to coast, dishes to Shane Edwards for an assist. Will with a wide open look from 3 on the wing, he bricked it off the front of the rim. Crap charge call against Cherry, guy was not set! Cherry out for the final 2 minutes of the half. 14 minutes, 3 points 3 or 4 assists, 1 rebound, 3 fouls, no turnovers, 1-3 from the field, 1-2 at FT's. He needs to pick it up in the 2nd half. Not playing bad, just not doing as well as he is capable. Solid B- or C for the 1st half.

3rd quarter (I'm behind due to chores, good thing there is a DVR): Cherry starts the quarter with a DRB. Cherry with ORB going high for it, putting it back up from 8 feet out for 2. Next possession, Cherry with a terrific 25 foot diagonal pass to Wiggins, again the defender fouled the shooter. Cherry's pass created the opportunity, but no assist. Cherry getting a pass at the FT line, goes strong with the right hand lay in for 2. He then gets his 4th foul with 4:35 left in the 3rd. Interesting side note. Canaan is schooling everyone, scoring with ease, except on Will Cherry. Cleveland's defense is terrible this game with Cherry on the bench. I guess Cleveland's coach thought the same. Cherry back in 4 fouls and 2 minutes left in the 3rd. Cherry immediately blows past Canaan for a left handed lay in, 2 points. Again, drives past them on the left for 2 ( 4 quick points in a minute). Closes the 3rd with a 18 foot stop and pop jump shot for 2. Terrific quarter for him. Totals through 3 quarters, 22 minutes, 13 points (6 of 9 from the field), 2 rebounds, 2 or 3 assists, 4 fouls, no turnovers. He dominated offensively in the 3rd. He has also been the only successful defender on Canaan. I think Canaan only has 3 points on Cherry.

4th Quarter: Damn, Cherry with another terrific pass on the fast break. Go figure, shooter hammered on the way up, shooting 2 fts, again another great play without an assist to show for it. Cherry missing a lay in, and picks up his 5th foul, another questionable call as he tipped a pass going to his man. Cavs sticking with him. DAMN, DAMN Cherry just took the ball STRONG to the rim on the right, draws contact on a big man, hoop, but no harm!!! Announcers thought he was hammered (phenomenal play by Cherry). Cherry with a terrific pass for a 3, shooter missed it. Then he got the ORB, ball went lose after the next man got the ball, T O may go to Cherry. Reverse left to right lay in by Cherry. Next trip, Cherry with an assist on a 3 pointer. Then draws the foul taking the ball to the right lane, shooting 2 ft's now, he hits both in the clutch. Draws the foul with a spin move from left to right, shooting 2, hits both again. Hell yeah!!! Cherry drawing an offensive foul on the screener. Cherry drives left, kicks to a open 3 shooter, who misses (Will's teammates not helping him get assists). Game Over, Cavs lose 96-90. Cherry with a terrific game in the 2nd half. Overall I give him an A in this game. Cherry with 32 minutes, 21 points, 3 Rebounds, 4 or 5 assists, 1 or 2 turnovers, 5 fouls, great defense. He had to play passive defensively and on the boards the 2nd half due to foul trouble. Offensively he was terrific. He matched Canaan blow for blow. Canaan is a very good player. Overall, I am thinking Will Cherry will be on a fall roster for fall camp. It will be hard for the Cavs to let him go anywhere though. Congrats Will Cherry, I believe you just clinched yourself an NBA roster spot this fall for NBA preseason. If he does not, I guess the bashers will be all over me. GREAT JOB WILL!!!!!! :thumb: :clap:

Will looking tough @ end of the 3rd... but w/4 fouls. 13 points for Will, but the frontcourt Cavs need a seminar on defense.

Here's a cool highlight of Will's on NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/games/20140717/HOUCLE/gameinfo.html#$/video/games/cavaliers/2014/07/17/1521400050-hou-cle-play4.nba/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will finishes as co-leader for the Cavs (along with Wiggins) with 21 points, but Cleveland drops the game to Houston... move into consolation bracket.

Will's Line: 21 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 turnovers in 30:15 on the floor.

Another great game for Will. He alone almost "willed" them to victory after being down 13. I know ppl on egriz may be somewhat biased about Will's performances (myself included). But it's becoming more clear that he elevates his game at the most important moments & he has no trouble bouncing back after mistakes. Those factors alone could get him a contract.

His assists and assist to turnover ratio should be much better. I am guessing an average of 3 assists per game lost due to teammates getting fouled after getting the pass, or missed shots. I really don't see how he cannot be invited to fall camp for the preseason. He played better defense than most the PG in summer league too. I very seldom seen him get beat. For the most part he shut down most everyone he guarded. WOW I am jacked for him.

I might be reading something into this but.

Will Started and
Dellavedova was listed as NWT- Coaches Decision (Not With Team?)

I'm I wrong to think that the coach started Cherry and Dellavedove walked out?

Paytonlives said:

Will Started and

Don't know about that but I am NOT impressed by Dellavdove, or whatever the fuck his name is.

Paytonlives said:

Will Started and

They already know what Delladova (sp?) can do. This was the only way they could get a better read on Will. Will showed enough to earn that opportunity. I think all is fine with Delladova. Will sure has given every 2nd team PG and some starting PG's some reason to worry about competition. Will outright owned and dominated 2 2nd halves in the 4 games. He did not back down to the challenge. He wanted the ball and was confident he could get the job done, and he did!!!

Paytonlives said:

Will Started and

He is on the Australian National Team, went to start practicing with them in advance of the World Cup.

Back