• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

will!

--halfway through the final quarter, one of the announcers said it was time for bennett or wiggins to step it up, referring of course to the last two number one draft choices in the entire nba. instead, it was an undrafted kid from montana who was about to go on a personal 14-run, and take the game over. cherry has played for high school championships, big sky championships and been in three ncaa games, but no game in his life was bigger for him personally than the one today. life is all about timing, and on the day he was metaphorically fighting for a championship, he had the outing of his life.
--look at it this way: will probably made more money in two hours today than most of us will make in a lifetime.
--anybody on here think it was a fluke? well, we know he's not going to average 21 a game, or shoot 9-13 from the field and 3-5 from three every game. but 14 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assits, a steal or two? give him the minutes and i think will does that consisently against any competition while playing solid disruptive defense. remember too, they may call this a "rookie" league, but there are a lot of second-year players on all rosters. it's not the varsity, but it's not just the freshman team out there either.
--walt frazier called him "feline quick." it showed today. i think quickness may be the single most important attribute in basketball, maybe even more important than height. john wooden was the first to tout quickness, and he won his first ncaa championship with no starter taller than 6'5". if this is will's calling card, it's a great one to have.
--oh, that goddamned frazier, calling will 5'6". there were hundreds of important scouts, coaches and general managers watching that game on tv today, and frazier saying that a basketball player is 6" shorter than he truly is amonts in my opinion to character assassination. it would be like saying your lead attorney has an i.q. of 100, or that miss america contestant over there has a 30" bustline. i don't care if it's just a summer league game, frazier was unprepared and unprofessional to say it. i hope it gets corrected for tomorrow's game.
--the lead announcer ticked me off too. okay, he's a dellavedova fan, as he's said ad nasueum, but when will drove the lane, then threw a look-away pass to bennett for a dunk, this jerk credited dellavedova for setting up the play. at least frazier was there to acknowledge will's great pass.
--will's got one spectacular highlight-reel of a game on his resume now, but the next step is to back it up with anaother solid game or two. i hope that happens tomorrow. we now know he's more than got it in him.

Love some of the Cav posters are ripping on Will because he is listed at 6' 1" and somebody on Twitter basically said he is 5' 8".....

It's not really a big deal what has been said about his height. The people that matter know exactly how tall he is and/or will easily find out.

Great performance by Will. While the stats were nice I think his on-point decisions at the correct times in the game will help him the most. He also made it very clear that he has the ability to rise up at crunch time. Some of the "best" players/athletes struggle at those points.

Will is much closer to 6'1" than to 5'8". Why do so many people want to say stuff (on internet and twitter) that they have no clue about? Does it make than feel 6'1", when they are only 5'5"?

PlayerRep said:
Will is much closer to 6'1" than to 5'8". Why do so many people want to say stuff (on internet and twitter) that they have no clue about? Does it make than feel 6'1", when they are only 5'5"?

Does that mean he is over 5'10.5"?

I hardly think a commentator's inaccurate height assessment is going to have a large affect of Cherry's NBA prospects.

In other news, good guy Lillard has been doing his best to help Will get that contract.

http://youtu.be/z8cTcLA3nbs

[youtube]http://youtu.be/z8cTcLA3nbs[/youtube]

AllWeatherFan said:
Why do so many people care what other dumbasses say on the internet? Geez.

we are people on the internet too....and I didn't say I cared I said I thought it was funny that posters were commenting on a Twitter post saying his stated height was way off...

putter said:
AllWeatherFan said:

we are people on the internet too....and I didn't say I cared I said I thought it was funny that posters were commenting on a Twitter post saying his stated height was way off...

Sorry, I should have been more clear about who it was I was mocking:

PlayerRep said:
Why do so many people want to say stuff (on internet and twitter) that they have no clue about?

I just got home from work. Tuned into the 3rd game against Philadelphia at the beginning of the 2nd quarter. 1st possession I saw, Cherry took the ball to the middle of the paint. Philly collapsed but he could not pass out. He confidently tried to draw compact, and hung in the air longer than the defenders to get off a tough shot, and swished it in. It was a damn impressive shot.

He is playing tough defense and always near the ball. Everyone is struggling in scoring and creating against him. He defended Casper Ware for a short time too. Cherry just now took the ball to the whole, defender from the baseline collapsed, he dishes to his big for an uncontested 10 foot jumper for 2. He is looking good, especially good taking care of the ball. I believe he has ZERO turnovers so far in summer league.

Will update more later on this game in this post.

End of 2nd quarter, Will has contested a few shots that shooters thought were there, but he was quick enough to force missed shots. Also, he shot a 18 to 20 foot baseline jumper, which was a real bad air ball. I'm not sure but think Cherry had another fastbreak assist to Bennett. Through 2 quarters he has 2 pts, 1 or 2 assists, no fouls, no turnovers, great defense. 2nd half has been his better half in previous games. Statistically he is not showing up much. On the court presence though is solid on both ends of the court. :thumb:

Cherry takes the ball to the hole hard over the tall timber and scores a lay in. Next trip down, he drives from the left, defense collapses, he dishes behind, shooter is fouled going up, will be shooting ft's. Interesting, Cherry commented after the 2nd game he was out of position some on defense. This game, he is near the ball often, and creating forced shots. OW, he just missed 2 ft's then forced a baseline jumper which was blocked. Offensively, he is not looking very good so far this game. Cherry with a smart fastbreak foul with 3 on 1, he fouled the ball handler before they could pass or shoot near the 3 pt line. Next offensive possession, he drives right stops, pump fakes, takes a wide open 8 to 10 footer, and misses, very nice move though. Will with a turnover driving left of the lane, ball was stripped off him or another teammate to go out of bounds. Through 3 quarters, Will has been the primary ball handler. He only has 4 pts, 1 or 2 assists, no rebounds (that I have seen at least), 1 turnover. Fortunately, his defense has been terrific.

4th quarter: assist for Cherry to Wiggins from 19 feet out. Cherry to Edwards in the paint, draws the foul, Edwards shooting 2. Cherry to Dallavedova (sp?) driving the lane, fouled hits 2 ft's. Cherry fouled at half court on the press, he hits 2 ft's. Cherry drives left, they collapse, he kicks to an open Bennett, Bennett steps out of bounds, nice look by Cherry though. Should have held the ball though and let them foul him.

This game was Cherry's worse of the 3 games. Encouraging though, he played more PG this game, created for his teammates. Eve with Dallavedova on the court, they split ball handling duties. Cherry created a lot of attention, dished, and his teammates got fouled often. Too bad he does get assists for those. Stat line not very impressive. To my count, he ended with 6 pts, 2 assists, 1 turnover, no rebounds, no steals (he may get credit for 1 that he knocked loose along with another defender. His presence was felt though and he did make a lot happen for his teammates. Final score Cleveland 86- 77. Cavs are 3-0. Cherry is a huge contributor, 1st guard off the bench. I think he logged the most minutes at guard though. Looks like we will get to see more of Cherry in the Summer League tournament. I'm not sure when or who they will play.

AllWeatherFan said:
putter said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear about who it was I was mocking:

PlayerRep said:
Why do so many people want to say stuff (on internet and twitter) that they have no clue about?

Gotcha AWF...now I understand

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:

Does that mean he is over 5'10.5"?

Will is close to 6 feet. I judge that from having talked to him scores of times over the years, and knowing how tall I am. I met Will before his frosh year, and talked to him in person lots of times every year he was in college.

Do you want to try to tell us he is under 5'10.5"?

AllWeatherFan said:

Because the forum is the internet, so that's where and how we all judge posters.

Why do you like to be a dumb ass on occasion?

You didn't like my comment on your lame humor recently, did you? Mr. Thin Skin, huh?

yes, will's worst game, but still...a lot of positives. the kinds of things i think coaches appreciate more than fans and announcers do.
--turnovers. will has seen a lot of playing time, and has handled the ball a lot--with one turnover in three games. dellavedova has played more minutes and scored more, but he also has twelve turnovers in three games.
--minutes. not just total minutes, but critical minutes. will has played down the stretch in all three games. last night, with him out of the game, philly closing in and six minutes left, he was back on the floor and finished off the game, as the cavs pulled away.
--plus-minus figure. in all three games, the cavs have scored more points than the opposition while will was on the floor. last night that number was twelve.
--assists. will only has six in three games, but as grizrule points out, seems to me that total should be much higher. he's made some beautiful passes where a teammate failed to convert or got fouled. his open court pass to bennett for a breakaway dunk was something most fans wouldn't notice, but it was the perfect pass to get bennett to the goal uncontested.
--it's going to be tough for will to make this team, especially if the cavs bring in ray allen and michael miller. but i think will has a playing card up his sleeve. it's not an ace, it's a king. i think lebron is going to love will's game.

See this note on Will in today's Akron Beacon Journal:

"Will Cherry’s name is starting to buzz around league coaches and executives after his strong showing in summer league.
The Cavs would love to stash him in Canton, but overseas teams are starting to pursue him aggressively.
After a successful stint here, he may get interest from NBA teams, too. The biggest knock against him is he’s only 5-foot-11."

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/cavaliers-notebook-kyrie-irving-invited-to-team-usa-training-camp-1.504491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back