• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Yamen Sanders

AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Spanky said:
Wasn't someone just saying how weak we are at safety?

Yeah, me and Alpha gave the board a dose of reality to counteract the substantial sugar-coating being spewed about how great our safeties were this season. The coaches signed this kid for a reason. Another reality pill which may be hard to swallow for some. They know who they are. :cool:

Yep, if the coaches would just listen to you, right? We'd win the chipper every season, I'm sure.

You may be from Arizona, but you would never make it in our group of Griz fans who watch the games in Mesa. phxgriz, OGriz, Sungriz, et. al. Why don't you get a new screen name. You are embarrassing our Arizona griz fan contingency. Step up your game or move over to the dark side (Bobcats).

Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Spanky said:

Yeah, me and Alpha gave the board a dose of reality to counteract the substantial sugar-coating being spewed about how great our safeties were this season. The coaches signed this kid for a reason. Another reality pill which may be hard to swallow for some. They know who they are. :cool:

Yep, if the coaches would just listen to you, right? We'd win the chipper every season, I'm sure.

You may be from Arizona, but you would never make it in our group of Griz fans who watch the games in Mesa. phxgriz, OGriz, Sungriz, et. al. Why don't you get a new screen name. You are embarrassing our Arizona griz fan contingency. Step up your game or move over to the dark side (Bobcats).

Why don't you go fuck yourself? I've met OGriz on multiple occasions and we got along just fine. :roll: :roll:

Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Spanky said:

You forgot to include Michael Hawthorne in your friends you watch games with in Arizona!!!! :shock: I wonder why???? :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz Yeah said:

I am sorry to step into your feud but Growler is correct. Coaches don't sign transfers at a position unless there is a perceived weakness. That's football recruiting 101. There's either a depth issue or there's some concern with the starters.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Spanky said:

So, you now associate yourself with the guy who posted the video of you picking your ass at practice (see "Pickle Practice" thread) and the guy who caused you to run out of the back door of the Mo Club after he introduced himself to you in the bar???? That guy?? Just wondering because I know him very well.

CV Griz Fan said:
Another reality I am sorry to step into your feud but Growler is correct. Coaches don't sign transfers at a position unless there is a perceived weakness. That's football recruiting 101. There's either a depth issue or there's some concern with the starters.

So they signed the Penn State kid because the WR depth wasn't there?

Inland NW Griz said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Another reality I am sorry to step into your feud but Growler is correct. Coaches don't sign transfers at a position unless there is a perceived weakness. That's football recruiting 101. There's either a depth issue or there's some concern with the starters.

Honestly, yes.

I think it's become pretty obvious that Stitt still may not be 100% satisfied with our receiving corps. Like he's been saying, he needs 8-9 starter or nearly-starter quality receivers to play per game. If you have 3-4 starters and a bunch of sub-starter material, that's not going to cut it in his offense, and I think the cuts and additions speak to that.

Funny how folks get so ahead of themselves. We have no idea how this came to be a Griz. For all we know, he called our coaches up and how do you pass up on FBS transfer who has played a lot of football the last two years. Who knows how it went down? I'm just glad it did! This kid is gonna make an impact.

uofmman1122 said:
Inland NW Griz said:
Honestly, yes.

I think it's become pretty obvious that Stitt still may not be 100% satisfied with our receiving corps. Like he's been saying, he needs 8-9 starter or nearly-starter quality receivers to play per game. If you have 3-4 starters and a bunch of sub-starter material, that's not going to cut it in his offense, and I think the cuts and additions speak to that.

Could see that with the offensive system coming in. Eight to nine starting or nearly starting wr's is a pretty tall order. I like the idea though, hope he makes happen

HookedonGriz said:
Funny how folks get so ahead of themselves. We have no idea how this came to be a Griz. For all we know, he called our coaches up and how do you pass up on FBS transfer who has played a lot of football the last two years. Who knows how it went down? I'm just glad it did! This kid is gonna make an impact.

Hope you're right!

Inland NW Griz said:
CV Griz Fan said:

It could be any number of things. Here is the deal. Giving a two year scholarship to a transfer player, either JC or otherwise, is less desirable, in the big picture, than giving out a four year scholarship. A coach wants a player for four years. A coach should only take a two year player if that player can contribute right away. Otherwise, it's just not a good use of a scholarship. There is another downside to bringing in a transfer player unless that player is better than what you already have at a position. That is the reputation factor of the coach. If you are a coach that is known to bring in many transfer players to achieve your goals, than how to you convince a 17 year old senior to attend your college and be a part of your program? If the Frosh recruit knows in the back of his mind that the coach can bring in a transfer player at anytime, then that may sway the player from committing to your program as a Frosh because he knows, if he doesn't develop as a player quickly enough, the coach may go outside of the program to fill his positional needs. Good or bad that sends a message....

Wow, the only people who know the reason behind Sanders being signed are the coaches. It is amazing how a few of you nit pick and bitch about anything here. I am guessing his signing was for combinations of reasons that made sense.

(1) To good of a talent to turn down. (2) More competition at a position that is a question mark. (3) Depth. (4) Give the younger safeties an opportunity to grow more before being thrown into the fire. (5) Flexibility to comfortably redshirt a player such as Sandry. (6) Great player for the young guys to learn from. (7) A physical presence to in the defensive backfield to better match up against EWU's never ending supply of big game changing WR's. (which makes sense being EWU has been the best conference program on the field for the last 5 years).

Just because he was signed does not mean the other safeties suck. Could it be Stitt actually wants to take his time building the young players to minimize the growing pains of inexperience? Could it be Yamen Sanders provides all this and more to this team? I am guessing we the GRIZ get 2 great years from Sanders, then our young safeties step in ready to replace him with very little fall off after Sanders graduates.

Got to admit, it is comical reading some posts here from a few who down play the players on this team at certain positions. Good thing Stitt is in charge of this program and not some egrizzers.

CV Griz Fan said:
Inland NW Griz said:
CV Griz Fan said:

It could be any number of things. Here is the deal. Giving a two year scholarship to a transfer player, either JC or otherwise, is less desirable, in the big picture, than giving out a four year scholarship. A coach wants a player for four years. A coach should only take a two year player if that player can contribute right away. Otherwise, it's just not a good use of a scholarship. There is another downside to bringing in a transfer player unless that player is better than what you already have at a position. That is the reputation factor of the coach. If you are a coach that is known to bring in many transfer players to achieve your goals, than how to you convince a 17 year old senior to attend your college and be a part of your program? If the Frosh recruit knows in the back of his mind that the coach can bring in a transfer player at anytime, then that may sway the player from committing to your program as a Frosh because he knows, if he doesn't develop as a player quickly enough, the coach may go outside of the program to fill his positional needs. Good or bad that sends a message....

Very few FCS teams don't bring in transfers. It isn't always a situation where there isn't confidence in the strength of the position either. Most of the time the kid chooses to transfer and reaches out to colleges he's interested in or his coach will refer him to me options to help him out. Its unlikely that the Montana staff was actively and aggressively looking for DB transfers. In fact, there is limitations to doing that. You are right in the fact that Montana wouldn't likely offer him unless they felt he could contribute, but how many times have we seen scholarship players transfer in to only sit the bench? Nothing is a given. In his situation, Montana would be unwise to not offer a talent of his caliber even if they had established starters that were very solid.

Only pickle boy could fuck up a positive thread like this one.

Ignore him and let's talk about how good we're going to be in the secondary.

The way football is played today, you can never have too many good DB's, or football players for that matter. Welcome aboard young man.

mtgrizrule said:
Wow, the only people who know the reason behind Sanders being signed are the coaches. It is amazing how a few of you nit pick and bitch about anything here. I am guessing his signing was for combinations of reasons that made sense.

(1) To good of a talent to turn down. (2) More competition at a position that is a question mark. (3) Depth. (4) Give the younger safeties an opportunity to grow more before being thrown into the fire. (5) Flexibility to comfortably redshirt a player such as Sandry. (6) Great player for the young guys to learn from. (7) A physical presence to in the defensive backfield to better match up against EWU's never ending supply of big game changing WR's. (which makes sense being EWU has been the best conference program on the field for the last 5 years).

Just because he was signed does not mean the other safeties suck. Could it be Stitt actually wants to take his time building the young players to minimize the growing pains of inexperience? Could it be Yamen Sanders provides all this and more to this team? I am guessing we the GRIZ get 2 great years from Sanders, then our young safeties step in ready to replace him with very little fall off after Sanders graduates.

Got to admit, it is comical reading some posts here from a few who down play the players on this team at certain positions. Good thing Stitt is in charge of this program and not some egrizzers.

Maybe Growler's comments were a little harsh but the idea is the same. Your words were nicer but your point seems similar. Stitt wants to fill a need so he brings the transfer safety in. It's not a negative move it's a strategic move. Like you said, maybe Stitt feels there is too much inexperience at the safety position right now and bringing in another upper classman will provide some stability. Maybe he brought Sanders in as an insurance policy for Whitted's injury issues. Either way, there a reason for the move.....

CV Griz Fan said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz said:

I am sorry to step into your feud but Growler is correct. Coaches don't sign transfers at a position unless there is a perceived weakness. That's football recruiting 101. There's either a depth issue or there's some concern with the starters.

Yeah. I'm well aware of that. Growler, on the other hand, believes HE invented that bit of knowledge. To be honest, there's not a single position on the field that the coach wouldn't attempt to improve if the right player dropped in his lap, no matter HOW good the incumbent is/was. And that's what happened here. But on THIS particular team, there are much more worriesome positions than Safety. That being said, I love this pickup. :thumb:

CV Griz Fan said:
Inland NW Griz said:
CV Griz Fan said:

Damned right it does. Perform, or get passed by. Just like in real life. If THAT scares a Frosh recruit away, I say don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. That recruit was probably better off as a Bobcat anyway--their expectations are a lot lower over there.

AZGrizFan said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Inland NW Griz said:
CV Griz Fan said:

Damned right it does. Perform, or get passed by. Just like in real life. If THAT scares a Frosh recruit away, I say don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. That recruit was probably better off as a Bobcat anyway--their expectations are a lot lower over there.

I agree with you. But there is a "school of thought" among some college coaches that says bringing in a significant number of scholarship transfer players disrupts the overall recruiting strategy of the program. In their way of thinking, you shouldn't need to recruit a stop gap player at a position if you'd been recruiting successfully all along. Of course there are always exceptions. There is a calculated risk in bringing in a transfer player according to this mind set.....I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this belief system. I am just saying that it's a prevalent view point in college coaching circles.

Back