• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Yamen Sanders

CV Griz Fan said:
I agree with you. But there is a "school of thought" among some college coaches that says bringing in a significant number of scholarship transfer players disrupts the overall recruiting strategy of the program. In their way of thinking, you shouldn't need to recruit a stop gap player at a position if you'd been recruiting successfully all along. Of course there are always exceptions. There is a calculated risk in bringing in a transfer player according to this mind set.....I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this belief system. I am just saying that it's a prevalent view point in college coaching circles.
Yeah but on the other hand, there wouldn't have been a coach in America that would have said no to Marcus Mariota if he had decided to transfer somewhere for his senior year. You'll make room for the right person.

CV Griz Fan said:
AZGrizFan said:
CV Griz Fan said:
It could be any number of things. Here is the deal. Giving a two year scholarship to a transfer player, either JC or otherwise, is less desirable, in the big picture, than giving out a four year scholarship. A coach wants a player for four years. A coach should only take a two year player if that player can contribute right away. Otherwise, it's just not a good use of a scholarship. There is another downside to bringing in a transfer player unless that player is better than what you already have at a position. That is the reputation factor of the coach. If you are a coach that is known to bring in many transfer players to achieve your goals, than how to you convince a 17 year old senior to attend your college and be a part of your program? If the Frosh recruit knows in the back of his mind that the coach can bring in a transfer player at anytime, then that may sway the player from committing to your program as a Frosh because he knows, if he doesn't develop as a player quickly enough, the coach may go outside of the program to fill his positional needs. Good or bad that sends a message....

Damned right it does. Perform, or get passed by. Just like in real life. If THAT scares a Frosh recruit away, I say don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. That recruit was probably better off as a Bobcat anyway--their expectations are a lot lower over there.

I agree with you. But there is a "school of thought" among some college coaches that says bringing in a significant number of scholarship transfer players disrupts the overall recruiting strategy of the program. In their way of thinking, you shouldn't need to recruit a stop gap player at a position if you'd been recruiting successfully all along. Of course there are always exceptions. There is a calculated risk in bringing in a transfer player according to this mind set.....I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this belief system. I am just saying that it's a prevalent view point in college coaching circles.

You can still recruit successfully all along and end up with a situation like we had on the O-line last year, where the two returnees that were going to anchor the line BOTH were unable to play for different reasons. That, also, is real life. Stuff doesn't always turn out like you planned, no matter how good you are at planning.

Like everyone else on here I have no idea the circumstances behind getting Yamen Sanders but I imagine the coaches saw how he played, looked at the schedule and thought; the loss of Matt Hermanson who often played like a forth LB could really hurt against Cal-Poly and NDSU and this Jr. looks like a serious run supporting beast.

It's not always a question of "the guys we have are not good enough" it's sometimes "do we have the right pieces for certain situations?". The Aussies and Kiwis call it "Horses for courses", if the track is dry go with your flyer but if it's rained all week at the race course you better pick a horse whose mother was a mudder. :lol:

mtgrizrule said:
Wow, the only people who know the reason behind Sanders being signed are the coaches. It is amazing how a few of you nit pick and bitch about anything here. I am guessing his signing was for combinations of reasons that made sense.

(1) To good of a talent to turn down. (2) More competition at a position that is a question mark. (3) Depth. (4) Give the younger safeties an opportunity to grow more before being thrown into the fire. (5) Flexibility to comfortably redshirt a player such as Sandry. (6) Great player for the young guys to learn from. (7) A physical presence to in the defensive backfield to better match up against EWU's never ending supply of big game changing WR's. (which makes sense being EWU has been the best conference program on the field for the last 5 years).

Just because he was signed does not mean the other safeties suck. Could it be Stitt actually wants to take his time building the young players to minimize the growing pains of inexperience? Could it be Yamen Sanders provides all this and more to this team? I am guessing we the GRIZ get 2 great years from Sanders, then our young safeties step in ready to replace him with very little fall off after Sanders graduates.

Got to admit, it is comical reading some posts here from a few who down play the players on this team at certain positions. Good thing Stitt is in charge of this program and not some egrizzers.

Exactly! Thank you!

Yeah, me and Alpha gave the board a dose of reality to counteract the substantial sugar-coating being spewed about how great our safeties were this season. The coaches signed this kid for a reason. Another reality pill which may be hard to swallow for some. They know who they are. :cool:[/quote]

Yep, if the coaches would just listen to you, right? We'd win the chipper every season, I'm sure.[/quote]

You may be from Arizona, but you would never make it in our group of Griz fans who watch the games in Mesa. phxgriz, OGriz, Sungriz, et. al. Why don't you get a new screen name. You are embarrassing our Arizona griz fan contingency. Step up your game or move over to the dark side (Bobcats).[/quote]

Why don't you go f*** yourself? I've met OGriz on multiple occasions and we got along just fine. :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Who is this Atlantagriz? I've never heard of her. Must be new tryin to suck in with Alphalfa. Probably not the only thing she's suckin. Don't worry bout her AZ. The way I see it, if our safeties sucked so bad last year that's probably the reason why the defense finished 5th in the country. I'll take all the help we can get but the defense finished strong last year.

Good addition to an already good defense. Now a "seasoned defensive tackle" and this team will get er done.

NLGrizFan said:
Yeah, me and Alpha gave the board a dose of reality to counteract the substantial sugar-coating being spewed about how great our safeties were this season. The coaches signed this kid for a reason. Another reality pill which may be hard to swallow for some. They know who they are. :cool:

Yep, if the coaches would just listen to you, right? We'd win the chipper every season, I'm sure.[/quote]

You may be from Arizona, but you would never make it in our group of Griz fans who watch the games in Mesa. phxgriz, OGriz, Sungriz, et. al. Why don't you get a new screen name. You are embarrassing our Arizona griz fan contingency. Step up your game or move over to the dark side (Bobcats).[/quote]

Why don't you go f*** yourself? I've met OGriz on multiple occasions and we got along just fine. :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Who is this Atlantagriz? I've never heard of her. Must be new tryin to suck in with Alphalfa. Probably not the only thing she's suckin. Don't worry bout her AZ. The way I see it, if our safeties sucked so bad last year that's probably the reason why the defense finished 5th in the country. I'll take all the help we can get but the defense finished strong last year.[/quote]

2014 Griz D ranked 5th in the country? Hmmm....

Total D- 39
Passing D- 56
Rushing D- 37
Scoring D-19

This is what I got. I screwed up tho. They have them at 7th in the FCS and 96th in the nation, FBS included. I generally wouldn't rely on this site as much as I do but in 2013 I downloaded the app and used it in the Big Sky Chalkenge. After it hung in the Top 3 of 6 weeks it kinda made me a believer. The only reason why I fell behind was because I never thought NAU would beat the Griz. So I went against the app and lost that game. If I would won the challenge I was gonna give it away on my facebook page. Never figured I had a chance in the world til the end of October and never dropped anymore than 5th in line. Anyhow, here's the link. http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/teams/Montana

NLGrizFan said:
This is what I got. I screwed up tho. They have them at 7th in the FCS and 96th in the nation, FBS included. I generally wouldn't rely on this site as much as I do but in 2013 I downloaded the app and used it in the Big Sky Chalkenge. After it hung in the Top 3 of 6 weeks it kinda made me a believer. The only reason why I fell behind was because I never thought NAU would beat the Griz. So I went against the app and lost that game. If I would won the challenge I was gonna give it away on my facebook page. Never figured I had a chance in the world til the end of October and never dropped anymore than 5th in line. Anyhow, here's the link. http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/teams/Montana

I would try Sportsnetwork.com. It has every category ranking in the FCS.You can even go back to previous years. It seems simpler to me.....

Hammer said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Spanky said:
Wasn't someone just saying how weak we are at safety?

Yeah, me and Alpha gave the board a dose of reality to counteract the substantial sugar-coating being spewed about how great our safeties were this season. The coaches signed this kid for a reason. Another reality pill which may be hard to swallow for some. They know who they are. :cool:

So, you now associate yourself with the guy who posted the video of you picking your ass at practice (see "Pickle Practice" thread) and the guy who caused you to run out of the back door of the Mo Club after he introduced himself to you in the bar???? That guy?? Just wondering because I know him very well.

And then claimed to be friends with a guy in AZ who I KNOW he's never met and certainly isn't friends with.

Fucking pathological liar.

CV Griz Fan said:
NLGrizFan said:

I would try Sportsnetwork.com. It has every category ranking in the FCS.You can even go back to previous years. It seems simpler to me.....
I've used TSN before. Great site! Maybe it's just me but it's hard for me to turn my back on things that have worked for me lol. I see where you're at tho. Compughterrating is all stats. I'm a numbers guys. Does TSN have an app? I'll have to look. That'd be pretty handy I think.

AZGrizFan said:
Hammer said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Spanky said:
Wasn't someone just saying how weak we are at safety?

So, you now associate yourself with the guy who posted the video of you picking your ass at practice (see "Pickle Practice" thread) and the guy who caused you to run out of the back door of the Mo Club after he introduced himself to you in the bar???? That guy?? Just wondering because I know him very well.

And then claimed to be friends with a guy in AZ who I KNOW he's never met and certainly isn't friends with.

f***[*] pathological liar.

That being Mr Michael Hawthorne. :shock: :lol:

NLGrizFan said:
CV Griz Fan said:
NLGrizFan said:

I've used TSN before. Great site! Maybe it's just me but it's hard for me to turn my back on things that have worked for me lol. I see where you're at tho. Compughterrating is all stats. I'm a numbers guys. Does TSN have an app? I'll have to look. That'd be pretty handy I think.

By all means, review what ever web site you want. But when you make a comment like the Griz D is "top five" I'd have the proper facts.... Just sayin'....

Yamen Sanders is a physical specimen, and he plays like it. As a SR in HS, he had 90 tackles and 1 INT that he returned for 30 yards. The high tackle numbers tells you what kind of player he is, a SS that plays like a OLB, I love this player addition :!: :clap:

454656156-safety-yamen-sanders-of-the-arizona-wildcats-gettyimages.jpg

This photo is when Yamen Sanders was telling his teammates that Bobby Hauck actually left Montana for UNLV, and the astonishment on their faces. :thumb:

BwQOXp6CMAAxccn.jpg

Yamen is a fine addition. We could use many more good players due to potential injuries and other mis-haps.

Yes I am very glad to see this new young man join us.

Great pickup...would like to see a big o-lineman and a big d-lineman transfer in, but might be getting a little late for that.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Yamen Sanders is a physical specimen, and he plays like it. As a SR in HS, he had 90 tackles and 1 INT that he returned for 30 yards. The high tackle numbers tells you what kind of player he is, a SS that plays like a OLB, I love this player addition :!: :clap:

454656156-safety-yamen-sanders-of-the-arizona-wildcats-gettyimages.jpg

Uh... he had five tackles while playing in 14 games in 2014. Is that a typo?

Back