• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Argument for Dumping halftime tailgating!

Silvertip

Already I can sense anguished cries of protest but read on. It's distracting enough for remaining fans - and more importantly the players - to have much of the crowd begin drifting off with still minutes til halftime, but it's the start of the second half that is the major downer. Case in point: the only lackluster series by the Griz Saturday was the emotionless three and out to start the second half with fewer than half the fans back in their seats. It was if all the air (smoky as it was) of an exciting game had been sucked clean out of the stadium.

It's clear to anybody who's ever attended a home game that the energy level just goes to hell at halftime and usually it's nearly halfway into the third quarter before it comes back to life. Few if any other programs deem it necessary to turn fans lose at the half like UM to grab another beer and/or take a leak in the Clark Fork. Coaches who elect to kickoff to start the game do so with the anticipation of grabbing the momentum to start the second half. Stitt inferred as much in his ESPN radio bit today - but he also learned Saturday that that doesn't work in Wa-Griz.

Half an hour of downtime is the only thing wrong with a Wa-Griz Saturday. Haslam should give the idea some serious thought.

Been a season ticket holder for about 10 years. Don't think the crowd makes that much of a difference, or shouldn't. Plus it's not like the players know the halftime crowd won't be back. Certainly, at times, the NEZ is loud enough to cause penalties, but less than we want. Plus you gotta cater to the paying customers. Most of them, I would guess, wouldn't like the idea. Less attendance, etc. I probably wouldn't make the 10 hours of drive time in a weekend, every weekend, without a little tailgate time.

Being said, I should probably do a better job at pounding those beers faster at halftime and get back to my seats. I did this last weekend, because that game was insane.

I even talked to those around me during halftime about this. And it is not just a few, but thousands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only stadium in the country that does this

I have been to many, many, many former Southwest Conference and current SEC games, and the stands are almost completely full during halftime. I know for a fact that Texas A&M is 100% full during halftime because no one leaves to even take a leak until the Aggie Band has performed. That is as important to them as watching the game. If you don't believe me go to a game at Kyle Field and see for yourself.

On Saturday there were a lot of empty seats just ten minutes before the game started, and then instantly the stadium got full. Tailgating should be banded during halftime. Period.

Tip, I hate the halftime thing too, but I disagree it's distracting to the players when the fans come back in. I disagree that there was a correlation between the empty seats and the bad 3rd quarter series. For one, we don't make noise when the Griz are on offense. And two, I've seen the Griz absolutely MARCH on teams to start a third quarter. In another thread, we are talking about greates games in Wash-Griz history, and in the 09 App. State game, Chase Reynolds rammed it right down Appy's throat to open the third, and I doubt there were more than 5000 people in the seats for that drive.

When I was young, I used to go out at halftime. I don't anymore. But, Wash-Griz has a re-entry policy, and tickets are expensive, so while i don't do it, if others want to take advantage of the policy, it's all good with me.

Well we could just issue fines for those who leave. Structure it like a speeding ticket;

Missing first 3 minutes of 3rd Qt. $25
Missing first 5 minutes of 3rd Qt. $45
Missing first 10 minutes of 3rd... $100
Not returning to seat (ala So Dakota St playoff) $500 and loss of Griz gear.

Fines go to Grizzly Athletics so after about 3 years they'll have funds to build damn near anything they wish.

Also agree 100%, and that's coming from someone who has on more than one occasion gotten caught up in the halftime tailgate, and returned late in the 3rd quarter.

Lose the halftime tailgate and sell beer in the stands.

Silvertip said:
Already I can sense anguished cries of protest but read on. It's distracting enough for remaining fans - and more importantly the players - to have much of the crowd begin drifting off with still minutes til halftime, but it's the start of the second half that is the major downer. Case in point: the only lackluster series by the Griz Saturday was the emotionless three and out to start the second half with fewer than half the fans back in their seats. It was if all the air (smoky as it was) of an exciting game had been sucked clean out of the stadium.

It's clear to anybody who's ever attended a home game that the energy level just goes to hell at halftime and usually it's nearly halfway into the third quarter before it comes back to life. Few if any other programs deem it necessary to turn fans lose at the half like UM to grab another beer and/or take a leak in the Clark Fork. Coaches who elect to kickoff to start the game do so with the anticipation of grabbing the momentum to start the second half. Stitt inferred as much in his ESPN radio bit today - but he also learned Saturday that that doesn't work in Wa-Griz.

Half an hour of downtime is the only thing wrong with a Wa-Griz Saturday. Haslam should give the idea some serious thought.

Friends occasionally ask us out to a tailgate at halftime, and I've gone to be polite, but I'm always pacing around making sure we don't miss the kickoff. I prefer to stay and watch the band.

farawaygriz said:
I even talked to those around me during halftime about this. And it is not just a few, but thousands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been to many, many, many former Southwest Conference and current SEC games, and the stands are almost completely full during halftime. I know for a fact that Texas A&M is 100% full during halftime because no one leaves to even take a leak until the Aggie Band has performed. That is as important to them as watching the game. If you don't believe me go to a game at Kyle Field and see for yourself.

On Saturday there were a lot of empty seats just ten minutes before the game started, and then instantly the stadium got full. Tailgating should be banded during halftime. Period.
They let you go to the tailgates at Arizona State

WaGriz4life said:
farawaygriz said:

And Montana State! :clap:

Keep the halftime tailgating.....just lock the gates. If you leave, you can enjoy the game outside the stadium. I read somewhere that some even left after the FG anyway. Are those fans? Probably not because the interest is beating the traffic anyway - or getting to the bar to continue the party.

Catsrback76 said:
WaGriz4life said:
farawaygriz said:

Tailgating is not the reason that MSU fans leave at halftime. :twisted:

Don't mind people leaving at the half, but the fact that the majority can't get their asses back into their seats until well into the 3rd quarter absolutely sucks. Especially a game of this magnitude. To say it doesn't have an effect on the team is ludicrous. Did anyone see coach looking up at the stands seemingly befuddled at the sparseness of the crowd? I did. Did anyone hear Musburger comment on it during the broadcast? I did. That was the only point of the game where our scene looked JV. No other "big time" program would vacate the stadium for nearly half a quarter during a huge game. Shameful.

SaskGriz said:
Catsrback76 said:
WaGriz4life said:
farawaygriz said:

Tailgating is not the reason that MSU fans leave at halftime. :twisted:

Weak. Here, try it again!

Little-Girl-Hit-With-Ball-in-Head.gif

Never really been one to leave at halftime but, Its a part of the experience. Fans on the CFB Reddit are even jealous of our ability to go tailgate at half. I don't think it's something that should be changed. It is apart of Gameday Saturdays @ Wa-Griz. If there was a rule implemented our student section #'s would suffer..

They could do like in third grade: "Everybody in their seats! We are not going to kick-off until everyone is seated...' But seriously, this is a free country, people paid for their seats. If they choose to miss part of the game it is their choice. Personally I am glad we have free will. There seems to be an awfully lot of people these days who would like to force others to see things their way. I think it is a disease.

WaGriz4life said:
farawaygriz said:

And Oregon. But that is probably a bad example because Oregon doesn't really have a loud crowd that affects the game, and really Oregon hasn't had much success over the last 15 years.

Maybe if Oregon and Montana stopped letting fans tailgate during 1/2 time they could start drawing bigger crowds and winning some games since those 2 things and tailgating at 1/2 time must be related.

First you liberal pussies want to ban guns, then you want to ban the confederate flag, then you want to ban hunting lions in Africa and now you want to ban me who pays too much money for a football ticket not to go outside the stadium and have a 3 or 4 beers before i go back in?

Fvck you!

I have no problem with leaving at half but I don't understand why people can't return to watch at least half of the 3rd quarter. Heck I have friends who don't return until into the 4th. Just sell your tickets and get drunk at that point. Pay 50.00 and pretend to know what went on. Stupid if you ask me but to each his own.

griz=fun said:
Been a season ticket holder for about 10 years. Don't think the crowd makes that much of a difference, or shouldn't. Plus it's not like the players know the halftime crowd won't be back. Certainly, at times, the NEZ is loud enough to cause penalties, but less than we want. Plus you gotta cater to the paying customers. Most of them, I would guess, wouldn't like the idea. Less attendance, etc. I probably wouldn't make the 10 hours of drive time in a weekend, every weekend, without a little tailgate time.

Being said, I should probably do a better job at pounding those beers faster at halftime and get back to my seats. I did this last weekend, because that game was insane.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You would seriously stop coming to games if you couldn't race back out to your cooler at halftime and chug two beers in 45 seconds and then race back to your seat??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I spend a TON of money to get back to one Griz game a year. The last thing I want to do is miss part of the game just to have another fucking beer and then fight the crowds back into the stadium.

Serve beer in the stadium, that'll solve about 50% of the departures.

(But will probably open up new issues as well)

Latest posts

Back