• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Defense

behappp said:
griz71 said:
AZDoc said:
I’m hoping for an upgrade in the most important spot...coordinator

:thumb:

This ain't happening so let's stay on topic.
I believe that we needed more DT rotation last year. It seemed they were worn down by the end of the game. Maybe as a result of having to move some to OL? Just a thought.
How is that not on topic? Question was asked I gave my opinion. The OP says 2919 defense. I gave the opinion on how to make it better. I’ve been anti Baer from day 1, so just being honest.

Spanky2 said:
AZDoc said:

We have a good coordinator

Uh...no, no we don’t. We have a very good d line coach and an experienced DC. He’s better than the last guy, but undsu has a good DC (now HC). The Griz do not.

AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:
AZDoc said:

We have a good coordinator

Uh...no, no we don’t. We have a very good d line coach and an experienced DC. He’s better than the last guy, but undsu has a good DC (now HC). The Griz do not.

Given what he had to work with in 2018, I don't think we have a lot to really judge him by from his time at U of M. The rest of his coaching experience - I will let others argue about that. I just don't believe it is very fair to say he is not a good DC given some of the holes we had on defense. Just my opinion AZ.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
griz71 said:
AZDoc said:

:thumb:
We had a huge upgrade there last year; doubt it happens two years in a row. You're some of the same guys asking for continuity.

:lol: :lol:

“Huge upgrade”? Did you type that with a straight face?
Very straight face. FBS experience vs. DII experience. Unlike his predecessor, capable of recognizing the talent of Dante Olson. You have a short memory if you've already forgotten the bush Semore moves. It was DC Semore, more than the boosters, who necessitated Stitt's dismissal.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
griz71 said:
We had a huge upgrade there last year; doubt it happens two years in a row. You're some of the same guys asking for continuity.

Very straight face. FBS experience vs. DII experience. Unlike his predecessor, capable of recognizing the talent of Dante Olson. You have a short memory if you've already forgotten the bush Semore moves. It was DC Semore, more than the boosters, who necessitated Stitt's dismissal.

So who would have Dante started over? So anybody who earns All-American honors should have started over somebody from the previous year? Good logic there.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
griz71 said:

It has nothing to do with memory. And i agree Semore had to go. That does nothing to change the fact that Baer’s D gave up 41 straight (never been done by a Griz D against an FCS foe) and in a “Hold my beer” moment, followed that up with a 46 STRAIGHT bloodbath....then blew another big lead, with playoffs on the line, giving up a 29-3 run to MSU. If that had been Semore’s D you’d be leading the pitchfork crew, calling for his head. Your hypocrisy is stunning.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

It has nothing to do with memory. And i agree Semore had to go. That does nothing to change the fact that Baer’s D gave up 41 straight (never been done by a Griz D against an FCS foe) and in a “Hold my beer” moment, followed that up with a 46 STRAIGHT bloodbath....then blew another big lead, with playoffs on the line, giving up a 29-3 run to MSU. If that had been Semore’s D you’d be leading the pitchfork crew, calling for his head. Your hypocrisy is stunning.

If Baer's defense is getting run off the field in year 3, it will be an issue. I am willing to give him a pass for year 1.

alabamagrizzly said:
So is Vika back to linebacker full time? More importantly, will he get a fair shot at playing time?

Good questions. I would say the first is a "yes." The second, only time will tell. My guess is that they will play him at LB because of a lack of experience behind Olson and Lewis.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

If Baer's defense is getting run off the field in year 3, it will be an issue. I am willing to give him a pass for year 1.

Why? Nobody was willing to give Semore’s D a pass in year two? We just considering last year and next year as “throw away” years?

MTGRZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
So is Vika back to linebacker full time? More importantly, will he get a fair shot at playing time?

Good questions. I would say the first is a "yes." The second, only time will tell. My guess is that they will play him at LB because of a lack of experience behind Olson and Lewis.

I am curious if bama is saying that Vika has not gotten a "fair shot" at playing time...

grizindabox said:
MTGRZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I am curious if bama is saying that Vika has not gotten a "fair shot" at playing time...

Isn’t that the argument Kem is using for Olson last year?

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Why? Nobody was willing to give Semore’s D a pass in year two? We just considering last year and next year as “throw away” years?

Why the year 1 pass, lack of overall talent on the roster. This team was average at best, and so many blind fans always want to believe the Griz roster is full of the best, most talented football players, but that was simply not true.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
MTGRZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Isn’t that the argument Kem is using for Olson last year?

Only if you believe that Vika is the second coming Olson and the coaches can't seem to recognize it...I don't believe that to be the case. Vika not playing has a lot to do with Vika.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

Why the year 1 pass, lack of overall talent on the roster. This team was average at best, and so many blind fans always want to believe the Griz roster is full of the best, most talented football players, but that was simply not true.

And Semore’s roster was overflowing? I’m not following the logic here.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Would seem in year 1 you are mostly dealing with kids from the previous staff...by year 3 you would assume that there would be a pretty good mix of kids that you brought in to play.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

Would seem in year 1 you are mostly dealing with kids from the previous staff...by year 3 you would assume that there would be a pretty good mix of kids that you brought in to play.

Well, considering year “3”was only Semore’s 2nd as DC, I guess we’ll have to wait and see about Baer’s year 2. I’m not expecting much different.

Back