• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Defense

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
Why the year 1 pass, lack of overall talent on the roster. This team was average at best, and so many blind fans always want to believe the Griz roster is full of the best, most talented football players, but that was simply not true.

And Semore’s roster was overflowing? I’m not following the logic here.

Would seem in year 1 you are mostly dealing with kids from the previous staff...by year 3 you would assume that there would be a pretty good mix of kids that you brought in to play.

Well, considering year “3”was only Semore’s 2nd as DC, I guess we’ll have to wait and see about Baer’s year 2. I’m not expecting much different.

But it was still year 3 for that staff recruiting.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
We had a huge upgrade there last year; doubt it happens two years in a row. You're some of the same guys asking for continuity.

:lol: :lol:

“Huge upgrade”? Did you type that with a straight face?
Very straight face. FBS experience vs. DII experience. Unlike his predecessor, capable of recognizing the talent of Dante Olson. You have a short memory if you've already forgotten the bush Semore moves. It was DC Semore, more than the boosters, who necessitated Stitt's dismissal.

It has nothing to do with memory. And i agree Semore had to go. That does nothing to change the fact that Baer’s D gave up 41 straight (never been done by a Griz D against an FCS foe) and in a “Hold my beer” moment, followed that up with a 46 STRAIGHT bloodbath....then blew another big lead, with playoffs on the line, giving up a 29-3 run to MSU. If that had been Semore’s D you’d be leading the pitchfork crew, calling for his head. Your hypocrisy is stunning.
And the o coordinator should go to because the offense plain sucked with defense! It was usually the offense putting the defense in shit situations!

grizindabox said:
MTGRZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
So is Vika back to linebacker full time? More importantly, will he get a fair shot at playing time?

Good questions. I would say the first is a "yes." The second, only time will tell. My guess is that they will play him at LB because of a lack of experience behind Olson and Lewis.

I am curious if bama is saying that Vika has not gotten a "fair shot" at playing time...

imo Vika and Le Texier were both vastly underutilized last year at full back....both are pretty darn talented at linebackers and showed it the previous season....in addition, i do not recall seeing the full backs even being used....lots of talent riding the bench. Le Texier at around 6'3', 245 pounds may help stop up that middle and help the defensive tackles quite a bit if he really is that big.

krammer said:
grizindabox said:
MTGRZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
So is Vika back to linebacker full time? More importantly, will he get a fair shot at playing time?

Good questions. I would say the first is a "yes." The second, only time will tell. My guess is that they will play him at LB because of a lack of experience behind Olson and Lewis.

I am curious if bama is saying that Vika has not gotten a "fair shot" at playing time...

imo Vika and Le Texier were both vastly underutilized last year at full back....both are pretty darn talented at linebackers and showed it the previous season....in addition, i do not recall seeing the full backs even being used....lots of talent riding the bench. Le Texier at around 6'3', 245 pounds may help stop up that middle and help the defensive tackles quite a bit if he really is that big.

I agree that FB was underutilized but disagree that Vika will be an answer at LB.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
MTGRZ said:

Isn’t that the argument Kem is using for Olson last year?

Only if you believe that Vika is the second coming Olson and the coaches can't seem to recognize it...I don't believe that to be the case. Vika not playing has a lot to do with Vika.

Well I know moving him to FB was definitely “not getting a fair shot at LB”. Not saying he would have started over Olsen or Buss but I’d argue he’s as productive as Lewis. Did fairly well standing in for Strahm when he was suspended. It’s also becoming clear that some players have been pushed aside to develop other players. Maybe Hauck is a much better observer of talent then the previous staff, I definitely don’t know myself. But there have been some questionable moves(Playing Janerico and Graves over Rey Green for one example).

alabamagrizzly said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Only if you believe that Vika is the second coming Olson and the coaches can't seem to recognize it...I don't believe that to be the case. Vika not playing has a lot to do with Vika.

Well I know moving him to FB was definitely “not getting a fair shot at LB”. Not saying he would have started over Olsen or Buss but I’d argue he’s as productive as Lewis. Did fairly well standing in for Strahm when he was suspended. It’s also becoming clear that some players have been pushed aside to develop other players. Maybe Hauck is a much better observer of talent then the previous staff, I definitely don’t know myself. But there have been some questionable moves(Playing Janerico and Graves over Rey Green for one example).

Maybe moving to FB was done after his "fair shot". I will also add that Vika fell out of favor with the previous staff. I am also not sure that playing Janicaro and Graves over Green was questionable.

grizindabox said:
alabamagrizzly said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

Maybe moving to FB was done after his "fair shot". I will also add that Vika fell out of favor with the previous staff. I am also not sure that playing Janicaro and Graves over Green was questionable.

Well, like I said, Haucks probably a better analyzer of talent.

Copper Griz said:
AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:
AZDoc said:
I’m hoping for an upgrade in the most important spot...coordinator

We have a good coordinator

Uh...no, no we don’t. We have a very good d line coach and an experienced DC. He’s better than the last guy, but undsu has a good DC (now HC). The Griz do not.

Given what he had to work with in 2018, I don't think we have a lot to really judge him by from his time at U of M. The rest of his coaching experience - I will let others argue about that. I just don't believe it is very fair to say he is not a good DC given some of the holes we had on defense. Just my opinion AZ.

I’ll give that to you. I think there certainly were holes. I will say very vaguely I know a coach that knows a coach blah, blah, blah, and have been researching our DC since I heard he may have been hired. He is a smart guy, knows x and o stuff, but is a little slow on adjusting to the evolution of offenses the last handful of years, as well as, at times, connecting with the newest generation of kids. Just my take.

Spanky2 said:
Doc, where do you think we can find someone better? He is a major improvement over his predecessor.

If you’re basing that off of results, no he’s not. It’s a wash, at best. Again, if he was Stitt’s hire, or if last year had been Semore’s you’d be calling for his head on a pike.

Gentlemen, if you don’t think our defense was improved over the previous year, I can’t help you.

AZDoc said:
Copper Griz said:
AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:
We have a good coordinator

Uh...no, no we don’t. We have a very good d line coach and an experienced DC. He’s better than the last guy, but undsu has a good DC (now HC). The Griz do not.

Given what he had to work with in 2018, I don't think we have a lot to really judge him by from his time at U of M. The rest of his coaching experience - I will let others argue about that. I just don't believe it is very fair to say he is not a good DC given some of the holes we had on defense. Just my opinion AZ.

I’ll give that to you. I think there certainly were holes. I will say very vaguely I know a coach that knows a coach blah, blah, blah, and have been researching our DC since I heard he may have been hired. He is a smart guy, knows x and o stuff, but is a little slow on adjusting to the evolution of offenses the last handful of years, as well as, at times, connecting with the newest generation of kids. Just my take.

If this is true - “adjusting to the evolution of offenses the last handful of years, as well as, at times, connecting with the newest generation of kids.“. that would indeed be very concerning. Hauck has a history of having experienced and older coaches on staff. In my experienc the older you get - the harder change becomes. Let’s hope year two is better and Coach B does not fit the norm of being able to change as he has aged. Maybe having holes in the D did not allow for adjustments to evolving offenses? Time will definitely tell the true tale. The board is interesting lately. People get their panties in a wad over questioning the coaches. I think the questions are warranted given the season. Very explainable answers in some cases, but the criticism is warranted. I think we all know nothing is going to change much in 2019 from a coaching perspective, but it is the off season. What the hell else is everyone going to debate?

Probably would have done better if the old guy didn't fall asleep during second halves. Maybe caffeine and a morning nap could help next year.

Spanky2 said:
Doc, where do you think we can find someone better? He is a major improvement over his predecessor.

Oh, I don’t disagree with that, I think generally felt better with this years defense...he’s just not RTD good. I’m not sure who we could get that is better...

AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:

Oh, I don’t disagree with that, I think generally felt better with this years defense...he’s just not RTD good. I’m not sure who we could get that is better...
Our DC in our Dominance years was Kraig Paulson; I was never convinced he was that great. Like Baer, what you can get on an FCS coordinator salary.

Back