• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Defense

kemajic said:
AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:
Doc, where do you think we can find someone better? He is a major improvement over his predecessor.

Oh, I don’t disagree with that, I think generally felt better with this years defense...he’s just not RTD good. I’m not sure who we could get that is better...
Our DC in our Dominance years was Kraig Paulson; I was never convinced he was that great. Like Baer, what you can get on an FCS coordinator salary.

Ty.....Or am I missing something?

MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:
Doc, where do you think we can find someone better? He is a major improvement over his predecessor.

Oh, I don’t disagree with that, I think generally felt better with this years defense...he’s just not RTD good. I’m not sure who we could get that is better...
Our DC in our Dominance years was Kraig Paulson; I was never convinced he was that great. Like Baer, what you can get on an FCS coordinator salary.

I frickin’ hated Paulson’s bend but don’t break defense. That said, we had some pretty good players during that era. I think Loren Utterback would have been tremendous in this defense with his speed. I also wasn’t a fan of Phen’s offense. But the results for those teams were pretty amazing.

I guess the grass is always greener...

MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:

You must be. Our years of Dominance pretty much ended after 2009. Gregorak was DC at Montana from 2012-5, hardly our Dominance years.

kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
AZDoc said:
You must be. Our years of Dominance pretty much ended after 2009. Gregorak was DC at Montana from 2012-5, hardly our Dominance years.

Good point. Who recruited our LBs (all three who were in the NFL at one point. THAT is impressive) McSurdy, Tripp, and Coyle?

go96griz said:
MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
AZDoc said:

I frickin’ hated Paulson’s bend but don’t break defense. That said, we had some pretty good players during that era. I think Loren Utterback would have been tremendous in this defense with his speed. I also wasn’t a fan of Phen’s offense. But the results for those teams were pretty amazing.

I guess the grass is always greener...

Yeah, that bend but don't break was frustrating at times, but you always could rely on them to get timely stops and ALWAYS get a big turnover. Studs on those teams doesn't hurt too.

MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:

Good point. Who recruited our LBs (all three who were in the NFL at one point. THAT is impressive) McSurdy, Tripp, and Coyle?
Ty and Breske.

kemajic said:
AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:

You’re right on that point. Agree. I think at this point and time, though, that wouldn’t fly if the Griz were to be champions.

I'm willing to give Baer another year before I judge him, regardless of who he has for players. The reason is because the defense they are running is not his. He had to learn it just like the players did. The defense is Hauck's. There were lots of mishaps in spring because the players were told one thing and then corrected by Hauck in what they were doing wrong. Nobody, but Robby, knew what the hell they were supposed to do. With a year running this defense he should be ready to roll and make adjustments more easily.

hubcap said:
I'm willing to give Baer another year before I judge him, regardless of who he has for players. The reason is because the defense they are running is not his. He had to learn it just like the players did. The defense is Hauck's. There were lots of mishaps in spring because the players were told one thing and then corrected by Hauck in what they were doing wrong. Nobody, but Robby, knew what the hell they were supposed to do. With a year running this defense he should be ready to roll and make adjustments more easily.

So, you are saying that every player who knew the defense made an all-American team, and one more also made a team?

fanofzoo said:
Ursus1 said:
So Bobby hired a guy to run a defense he was clueless about? Wonderful

and you were expecting....
Clueless was a D staff that could not recognize the Dante Olson talent and relegated him to ST. Clueless is calling full blitzes on 3rd and 17 against a running QB. Clueless is playing man against a QB that is no threat to pass so the DBs have their backs to him as he runs by. Clueless is a defense still looking for a sideline signal while the offense is snapping the ball. The defense in 2016 and 2017 was quite clueless.

kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:
Ursus1 said:

Clueless was a D staff that could not recognize the Dante Olson talent and relegated him to ST. Clueless is calling full blitzes on 3rd and 17 against a running QB. Clueless is playing man against a QB that is no threat to pass so the DBs have their backs to him as he runs by. Clueless is a defense still looking for a sideline signal while the offense is snapping the ball. The defense in 2016 and 2017 was quite clueless.

Totally agree they needed to go. But....logic says if it is a specific defense you want than find a coach that specializes in it, or want the coach hinself then let him run the defense he knows. This was hiring an old dog and trying to teach him new tricks.

No wonder second half collapses, he couldn't re-adjust to offensive adjustments. Did fine when they knew what was coming, but couldn't make the counter moves.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/31/gage-gubrud-other-injured-eastern-washington-playe/

Suppose there had been better depth last year...just a thought.

Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:
Ursus1 said:

Totally agree they needed to go. But....logic says if it is a specific defense you want than find a coach that specializes in it, or want the coach hinself then let him run the defense he knows. This was hiring an old dog and trying to teach him new tricks.

No wonder second half collapses, he couldn't re-adjust to offensive adjustments. Did fine when they knew what was coming, but couldn't make the counter moves.

UM gave up only 48 points in the 3d quarter (about 4.5 per game), and 148 in the 4th Q. Are you saying the offenses waited until after the 3d quarter to make their adjustments, and then Baer couldn't adjust?

Posts that have no basis (i.e. are just made up) and are completely inconsistent with the facts make me laugh.

Several of the experts have decided to go after Baer. He has some of the best qualifactions at the DC coaching position in our history. He has some age on him-so what!

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/31/gage-gubrud-other-injured-eastern-washington-playe/

Suppose there had been better depth last year...just a thought.

Quite the number of injuries and I feel really bad for the seniors on the team. I am amazed EWU has done so well over the years. Crap facilities and a damn near non existent fan base. I guess being close to Spokane would be the only plus and their coaches have done a great job of winning. I am eager to see the Griz get back on track and the rivalry with EWU to become interesting again. Too bad the big sky is structured like Frankenstein right now. A damn joke.

I’m hopeful Bobby keeps a tape of the uCf/LsU game to show the team as examples of how not to tackle, cover or pick up dumb penalties. Morons.

Spanky2 said:
Several of the experts have decided to go after Baer. He has some of the best qualifactions at the DC coaching position in our history. He has some age on him-so what!

It’s unfortunate that Dante Olson-like talent isn’t available @ every position. Then Baer would have been a genius.

Back