• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2023 Griz Football Official (14)Signed, (1)Verbal, (5)Transfers & (2) Known Offers

AZDoc said:
Spanky2 said:
Don’t you think we need a top notch WR?

I mean if a WR1 showed up that'd be nice, but honestly I think the WR are overall very solid. A burner...yeah, that'd be nice, but I think there are some young guys that may be showing some stuff in spring. Perhaps if it doesn't go well, then they may look for another. That one is hard, because if you can add a stud, no reason not to. But need vs scholarships available...it may be the one that isn't addressed.

We got what looks to be a great one in this class in Hall. And don’t forget Sam Alford who we got last year. I think he is destined for big things here. He was a pretty big get.

Spanky2 said:
AZDoc said:
If the news about OL and K are true, then I think really what is needed is another QB and a DT/NT type player. Unless a good CB falls through as well. Thoughts?

Don’t you think we need a top notch WR?

Coaches seem to think so. They offered both drop-down receivers who are now with MSU (Alexander and McCullouch).

HookedonGriz said:
AZDoc said:
I mean if a WR1 showed up that'd be nice, but honestly I think the WR are overall very solid. A burner...yeah, that'd be nice, but I think there are some young guys that may be showing some stuff in spring. Perhaps if it doesn't go well, then they may look for another. That one is hard, because if you can add a stud, no reason not to. But need vs scholarships available...it may be the one that isn't addressed.

We got what looks to be a great one in this class in Hall. And don’t forget Sam Alford who we got last year. I think he is destined for big things here. He was a pretty big get.

I’m telling you…don’t sleep on Williams. I think he’s the real deal.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Yep good call he’s another one he would shine in mop up duty whenever he got in

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think with Fontes, White, Williams, Alford, Deck and Bergen we’re fine at WR.

Now, Two more interior DL and a QB and a CB would be very nice.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Don’t think we get anymore DT if we’re sticking with 3-3-5

grizfan1984 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Don’t think we get anymore DT if we’re sticking with 3-3-5

Agreed. I’m hoping we move away from that.

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
Won’t be this season or as long as Hauck is coach

I know. I realized after I posted that that it was Hauck who wanted that system implemented. :oops:

The tackling record has been broken, we can now change defensive schemes! :lol: :cool:

PhxGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
I know. I realized after I posted that that it was Hauck who wanted that system implemented. :oops:

The tackling record has been broken, we can now change defensive schemes! :lol: :cool:

Honestly I do think that record played a small part in the selection of that scheme. Don’t get me wrong, Robbie does hav a great nose for the ball…and the pile but the system is designed to free up your best tackling LB and S and to let them get to the ball carrier. That being said, I would not be surprised to see it next year for various reasons. One, it’s proven to stop the run against teams that don’t have a super dominant O line. Two, it creates a lot of sacks and TFL’s due to the confusion and disruption it causes at the line. Third is Bobby’s ego.

alabamagrizzly said:
PhxGriz said:

Honestly I do think that record played a small part in the selection of that scheme. Don’t get me wrong, Robbie does hav a great nose for the ball…and the pile but the system is designed to free up your best tackling LB and S and to let them get to the ball carrier. That being said, I would not be surprised to see it next year for various reasons. One, it’s proven to stop the run against teams that don’t have a super dominant O line. Two, it creates a lot of sacks and TFL’s due to the confusion and disruption it causes at the line. Third is Bobby’s ego.

In other words, it works against mediocre offenses. :lol:

THAT was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt last year.

alabamagrizzly said:
PhxGriz said:

I like that kind of defense, but I'm the sort of guy who wants to drive a golfball 300 yards regardless of how many bad slices I have per round. That one time makes up for it all. :lol:

PhxGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I like that kind of defense, but I'm the sort of guy who wants to drive a golfball 300 yards regardless of how many bad slices I have per round. That one time makes up for it all. :lol:

Ha. I am the same. Slices...distance to the pin...I have no finesse in my game.

I also don't mind the 3-3-5. The problem is often inadequate skills in some position groups. But, it also stems from an offense that is not always complimentary. The defense requires high energy and needs a ball control offense.

SoldierGriz said:
I also don't mind the 3-3-5. The problem is often inadequate skills in some position groups. But, it also stems from an offense that is not always complimentary. The defense requires high energy and needs a ball control offense.
What this dude said.

SoldierGriz said:
PhxGriz said:

Ha. I am the same. Slices...distance to the pin...I have no finesse in my game.

I agree with you. With that high energy you need depth to run fresh aggressive bodies at people.

kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:
What this dude said.

So what y'all are saying is...hypothetically, when an offense generates just 114 yards of "ball control" in 60 minutes, it's gonna be tough for the defense to make up the difference when they're constantly on the field...

If that yardage was all in the red zone, I'd say that was pretty good! And the defense had done a great job!

SoldierGriz said:
PhxGriz said:

Makes all kinds of sense.

https://twitter.com/braytonboyer/status/1624667291005624322?s=61&t=cO6Zd7CZQu50U26jl6lGSg

Not sure if this is ‘23, but think so…

Back