• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Badlands Bowl roster features 8 future Griz

Just heard that Tony Arntson has pulled out of the game due to his Rocky coaching job. Mark Sultzer who was the architect of last years 65-0 drubbing of Team ND will now be the head coach for MT.

Richard Cranium said:
Just heard that Tony Arntson has pulled out of the game due to his Rocky coaching job. Mark Sultzer who was the architect of last years 65-0 drubbing of Team ND will now be the head coach for MT.

Billings Senior's Chris Murdock was the head coach of last year's team. Mark was not a coach.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/football/former-billings-senior-coach-mark-sulser-will-coach-montana-in/article_c12e00ef-ede2-521c-b15d-25ea97f469d2.html

Along with Ans and Spang, Garrett Graves has been added as a QB and Mark Estes has been added as a CB.

VimSince03 said:
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/football/former-billings-senior-coach-mark-sulser-will-coach-montana-in/article_c12e00ef-ede2-521c-b15d-25ea97f469d2.html

Along with Ans and Spang, Garrett Graves has been added as a QB and Mark Estes has been added as a CB.

Wasn't graves on the original roster? I see from the article ans and stang were added. but Estes has been added too? Anyone have the complete current roster? Thx

obiwan said:
VimSince03 said:

Wasn't graves on the original roster? I see from the article ans and stang were added. but Estes has been added too? Anyone have the complete current roster? Thx

The complete current roster is on the Badlands Bowl website: http://badlandsbowl.com/montana-roster/.
Graves was not on the original roster because he was only going to play in the Shrine Game (his choice) but (per poster 406) Graves was convinced to play in the Badlands Bowl instead.

Graves replaces Aaron White (Shelby) at QB. Bruce Spang (Skyview) replaces Trey Copeland (Huntley Project) on the OL. Micah Ans (Billings Senior) replaces David Koppang (Missoula Loyola) at WR. Mark Estes (Glacier) replaces Tyler Dobie (Bozeman) at CB.

I'm assuming Ans will play safety instead of WR and Nick Germer will flip from S to WR. Ans was an All-State safety while Germer was an All-State WR. Doesn't really make sense for them to flip positions for an all-star game. Estes should have been on the original roster but was an alternate. Having him and Nelson at CB gives the Montana team a very fast coverage duo.

I think this team is pretty solid. If it were up to me I would only have 3 other players replacing the 3 players on the list now. Carson Shuman (Capital) and Connar Quick (Capital) replacing Justin Brown (MC) and Tanner Harrell (Shepard) and Braxton Hill of Anaconda replacing Colton Grange (Flint Creek).

With that stated this team should roll against the NoDakers.

Richard Cranium said:
I think this team is pretty solid. If it were up to me I would only have 3 other players replacing the 3 players on the list now. Carson Shuman (Capital) and Connar Quick (Capital) replacing Justin Brown (MC) and Tanner Harrell (Shepard) and Braxton Hill of Anaconda replacing Colton Grange (Flint Creek).

With that stated this team should roll against the NoDakers.

I think those 3 will do just fine or better than fine. I am curious what you saw in their film or games that would lead you to replace them?

Just that Shuman, Quick and Hill are going to play D1 football next year. I’m going on what professional football coaches see. Nothing against the other 3.

Vim, I heard that Hauck only wants his recruits to play in either the badlands or the shrine game but not both. Do you know if this is accurate and what is the cats take on this? Thanks

Dutch Lane said:
Vim, I heard that Hauck only wants his recruits to play in either the badlands or the shrine game but not both. Do you know if this is accurate and what is the cats take on this? Thanks

Its up to the kids as far as I know. Since Choate took over, his Montana recruits have played in both. Some have only played in one and not the other. And some have chosen to join summer workouts early and decline invited to the games.

VimSince03 said:
Dutch Lane said:

Its up to the kids as far as I know. Since Choate took over, his Montana recruits have played in both. Some have only played in one and not the other. And some have chosen to join summer workouts early and decline invited to the games.

From what I understand it is a good opportunity to see the signees play against a higher level of competition. Shrine is probably more coveted in Montana. As a kid though it would be hard to decide which not to play on if this is the case

With many of the Montana Players doing well in this weekends State Track meets, I feel the speed and athleticism of this team is actually greater than last years team. Last years team won 65-0 with a 2nd half running clock. Not that I think it will be a total blow out like last year, but it could be a lopsided affair. I would like to hear from the NoDakers how your team members did in the ND State track meets. I’m really excited to see this years Montana team performance on the field against ND best football players. See ya in Dickyville!

SaskGriz said:
Dutch Lane said:
runtheoption said:
WaGriz4life said:
This Montana team will win by 40+. It's amazing how terrible North Dakota high school football is.
I agree that our HS football is probably not as good as MT. Combine that with the fact that ND HS kids/coaches don't seem to really give a rip about this game, maybe it should not even happen.

NDSU has 7 ND recruits for 2018, and only 2 are playing in the Badlands Bowl.
UND has 5 ND recruits for 2018, and only 1 is playing in the Badlands Bowl.

If we could get more of these guys to play, it would probably be a better game.
I think we have 3 or 4 hundred thousand more people then North Dakota has. Also we don’t play hockey but that’s a winter sport, no? Do many hockey guys also play football or are two contact sports back to back too much? It’s also hard to always get the best players to play in the summer especially if they play baseball. Is the badlands game the only game played in the state? Do you have a shrine game or the equivalent? Do you have an all star game for the smaller schools, for the 8 and 6 man teams? My brother in law starred at qb for the New Salem Holsteins, ( there is a huge statue of a Holstein on the highway at New Salem) back in the day. Not sure what class they were in pretty small I think. They named there high school field after him. He got recruited by Nebraska back in the early 70’s and ran the bone for the cornhusker frosh and jv. Then he joined the rodeo team instead. Lol. Thanks

North Dakota doesn't play high school hockey at any serious level. UND just has a scholarship program for Canadian prairie kids to hang out in Grand Forks and play for the UND Name of the Weekers. Once we get our wall built (and you guys are paying for it) the UND hockey program will die. And the only ice in Fargo is on the door of the place that sells 32 to 38 waist jeans.
Wow. This is a joke post. Grand Forks sponsors a bantam team in an elite Minnesota state league and has gone undefeated. Western schools like Williston and Dickinson are way below the hockey quality in the East as they don’t have nearly the depth. Grand Forks schools have hundreds of kids go out for hockey. It has become on par with Winnipeg for producing NHL talent or at least for high level college talent. In the nearly 60 years that ND has sponsored a HS championship, you can count on both hands when a GF HS hasn’t won it. Fargo, Minot, Bismarck and Grafton HS have only won it, but every blue moon.

Some of the best recruiting grounds are in Grand Forks-East Grand Forks as well as Thief Rivers Falls, Roseau, Warroad, Moorhead and NW Minnesota. That’s why UND has been a power hockey school with 8 nattys.

Bismarck and sometimes Minot high schools have very competitive hockey teams, although they don’t get Minnesota competition. Bismarck has now been split among three public high schools, so that hurts it. Fargo is now mediocre, but their wealthier new HS Davies should be good. West Fargo should be rather good now, as that is where the moneyed parents live, but the split into two HS hurts it.

Hockey kids are not as likely to go out for football as they can’t afford injuries and they don’t need to put on as much weight.

The Bismarck-Mandan area produces good HS football. Minot and Fargo have been mediocre. Grand Forks has been bad. The German from Russia area that extends from Jamestown to Dickinson is the wild card and often produces great fb athletes. Carson Wentz is from that ethnic group.

Dutch Lane said:
UND only had six Canadians on there hockey team this past season out of total of 25 team members. Really incredible program a national powerhouse 22 frozen four appearances 8 national D1 titles the most successful program in NCAA history. And then look at NDSU football 8 division 2 titles, 6 D1 titles from one of the least populous states in the country. Pretty hard to pretend that no dak doesn’t know how to build powerhouse programs. Wow. I also Love the Holsteins of new Salem lol. What’s the deal with the jeans and waist size? Thanks

New Salem doesn’t have many kids now. They co-op with nearby Hebron now, and may even play nine man football.

VimSince03 said:
Having him (Estes) and Nelson at CB gives the Montana team a very fast coverage duo.

Very true.

I hope Nelson returns kicks/punts, the kid is an absolute blur. (fastest ever in MT)

Just heard that Coach Sulser, who replaced Coach Arnston to coach the Badlands team, selected Max Morris from Glacier/Helena to play on the Montana team. He was also selected last December for the West team in the Shrine game. I heard that he plans to play in the Badlands game now.

Glacier/Helena/Butte :lol: (Dad was great Butte Central/Stanford RB)

I am excited for Graves to be a Griz, I think he is great prospect.

Richard Cranium said:
With many of the Montana Players doing well in this weekends State Track meets, I feel the speed and athleticism of this team is actually greater than last years team. Last years team won 65-0 with a 2nd half running clock. Not that I think it will be a total blow out like last year, but it could be a lopsided affair. I would like to hear from the NoDakers how your team members did in the ND State track meets. I’m really excited to see this years Montana team performance on the field against ND best football players. See ya in Dickyville!

On that note, looking at the North Dakota roster it appears several top players aren't participating in the game. 12 in-state talents signed with either UND or NDSU on signing day and only 5 are listed on the North Dakota roster for the Badlands Bowl. Unfortunate because the game is meant to be the best vs. the best. I really don't think this is even going to be a game.

The ND team has 7 players that are going to NDSU and UND aren’t going to play in the Badlands Bowl. Montana has 7 Griz players that are not playing in the game and 1 player who is going to play in the PAC-12 next year.

Griz players: Nate Ferguson, Dave Koppang, Colton Curry, Conner Quick, Braxton Hill, Max Morris, Cody Hartsoch.

Washigton State: Carson Shuman

Looks like both teams will suffer from the loss of D-1 talent playing in this game. Montana will be effected even more so than ND.

Richard Cranium said:
The ND team has 7 players that are going to NDSU and UND aren’t going to play in the Badlands Bowl. Montana has 7 Griz players that are not playing in the game and 1 player who is going to play in the PAC-12 next year.

Griz players: Nate Ferguson, Dave Koppang, Colton Curry, Conner Quick, Braxton Hill, Max Morris, Cody Hartsoch.

Washigton State: Carson Shuman

Looks like both teams will suffer from the loss of D-1 talent playing in this game. Montana will be effected even more so than ND.

Obviously some of those Montana kids weren't selected for the team in the first place. Ferguson, Curry, Hill, Morris, and Hartsoch were not on the original selection lists. Koppang, Quick, and Shuman decided to not play.

The difference here is that the seven North Dakota players who aren't playing are considered Top 10 North Dakota talents. Not saying the other Griz players listed aren't talented because they received offers for a reason. But the talent lost from them not playing isn't the same as the talent lost by these ND players not playing. This why Montana won't be as affected as North Dakota will be. For example, the effect of these ND players not playing would be comparable to Gabe Sulser or Drew Turner declining to play in the game for Montana.

Side note: Max Morris was added to the roster. Just hasn't been updated yet.

Back