• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Badlands Bowl roster features 8 future Griz

Dutch Lane said:
Vim, Troy passed for 1400+ yards and ran for 80+ yards during his senior year, so he had a good balance of passing versus running. He had like 15 td passes. He got it done thru the air and on the ground. I watched his hudl which has some pass plays on it and one sticks out he rolled right behind the 35 yd line and threw a strike across his body for a touch down. Let’s see Murray try and do that now. He can’t be cause he’s not a very good bsc qb.

If we are comparing high school QB numbers, Chris was a more productive passer than Troy. But lets get back to what you stated above. It is well known that Chris struggles to consistently move the ball through the air. Hell...I've been hyper-critical of his passing abilities myself. I have taken a total wait-and-see approach to this fall. His improvement was minimal in my opinion last fall. But suggesting Troy should have been the QB all along even though he has about the same or less ability of moving the ball through the air as Chris makes no sense. Instead, have Troy on the field because he's the better overall runner (Chris is fast but Troy is more physical). I don't understand how you can say it was a mistake to put Troy at RB or LB when he helps the team more at those positions than if he were to play QB. As far as Murray goes, if he doesn't improve this fall, he will be replaced as the starting QB sooner than later.

I also noticed you said you watched some highlights of Troy throwing the ball in high school assuming I didn't look at every throw of Troy's while scouting him. You also should have noticed that the primary highlights were him running the ball...and his highlights as a safety/OLB. Throwing was never his strength. If you are a good enough athlete that can excel at multiple positions, why pigeon hole that athlete into a position he wouldn't be the most productive (Troy playing QB)?

The Cats still have a weakness at QB despite Murray's athleticism. There is a reason Choate has recruited three incoming QBs (one transfer and two true freshman). But saying Troy should have been the QB all along is a bad solution to a problem with a simple solution: the Cats just need a QB who can throw a friggin football consistently 5-10 yards down the field.

Can we please get this thread back to the Badlands Bowl by the way. I know PaytonLives would appreciate me saying that. The coaching staff has brought in excellent replacements for playing not playing from the original roster. Very excited to see what the Wood twins from Ennis can do against this level of competition. I thought they were slighted as recruits from both instate schools. Tanner will play QB and Connor will be an OLB.

VimSince03 said:
Dutch Lane said:
Vim, Troy passed for 1400+ yards and ran for 80+ yards during his senior year, so he had a good balance of passing versus running. He had like 15 td passes. He got it done thru the air and on the ground. I watched his hudl which has some pass plays on it and one sticks out he rolled right behind the 35 yd line and threw a strike across his body for a touch down. Let’s see Murray try and do that now. He can’t be cause he’s not a very good bsc qb.

If we are comparing high school QB numbers, Chris was a more productive passer than Troy. But lets get back to what you stated above. It is well known that Chris struggles to consistently move the ball through the air. Hell...I've been hyper-critical of his passing abilities myself. I have taken a total wait-and-see approach to this fall. His improvement was minimal in my opinion last fall. But suggesting Troy should have been the QB all along even though he has about the same or less ability of moving the ball through the air as Chris makes no sense. Instead, have Troy on the field because he's the better overall runner (Chris is fast but Troy is more physical). I don't understand how you can say it was a mistake to put Troy at RB or LB when he helps the team more at those positions than if he were to play QB. As far as Murray goes, if he doesn't improve this fall, he will be replaced as the starting QB sooner than later.

I also noticed you said you watched some highlights of Troy throwing the ball in high school assuming I didn't look at every throw of Troy's while scouting him. You also should have noticed that the primary highlights were him running the ball...and his highlights as a safety/OLB. Throwing was never his strength. If you are a good enough athlete that can excel at multiple positions, why pigeon hole that athlete into a position he wouldn't be the most productive (Troy playing QB)?

The Cats still have a weakness at QB despite Murray's athleticism. There is a reason Choate has recruited three incoming QBs (one transfer and two true freshman). But saying Troy should have been the QB all along is a bad solution to a problem with a simple solution: the Cats just need a QB who can throw a friggin football consistently 5-10 yards down the field.

Can we please get this thread back to the Badlands Bowl by the way. I know PaytonLives would appreciate me saying that. The coaching staff has brought in excellent replacements for playing not playing from the original roster. Very excited to see what the Wood twins from Ennis can do against this level of competition. I thought they were slighted as recruits from both instate schools. Tanner will play QB and Connor will be an OLB.

You won't get any argument from me, I think that Troy might be one of the most versatile athletes the state has ever seen. He could start at multiple positions, not only start, but I think he has the talent and drive to be an All American at a few different positions also. Wish he was a Griz, he's a super good kid. He's going to dominante on either side of the ball.

Thanks Vim, for engaging in an in depth discussion even though it is off thread. I have probably made the most individual posts on this thread to try and gin up some interest, but unfortunately even now in a slow time for griz/cat football there just isn’t much interest in the badlands bowl. I’m very interest3d though and I know 5 of the fellas and their parents playing and am looking forward to seeing them all play together on the same team. Leaving for nd manyana. I was hoping my post about Troy and Kaleb would spur some interest from some cat fans, and my comments about Murray would illustrate how inept Stitts defense was at stopping a one demensional cat offense. It must suck to play receiver or tight end there. I will post more comments after the game. Go Montana Boys- I’m using that as a generic term for all the griz/cat recruits playing for the state. Lol

Ursa Major said:
garizzalies said:
Today’s paper said Oceans 8 has substantially less than a 50% career completion percentage, throws a pick for every 1.3 TDs, and completed less passes for less yards in his soph year than his freshman year.
Really? One certainly would not think that reading posts by our resident cat trolls who keep claiming he is “improving.”

Grizzalies, I think the caveat for the meow state folks is which ocean and how much improvement. A recent poll on Litterbox Nation suggested:

Pacific Ocean: Probably
Atlantic Ocean: Maybe
Indian Ocean: rarely
Arctic Ocean: Not a f***[*] chance
i-love-you.jpg

LivingstonNative said:
Does anyone know if the game will be streamed?

http://badlandsbowl.com/

Looks like it will be live streamed on BEK Broadcasting Network:
https://www.bektel.com/bbn/streaming/channel/bek-prime-eastern/

FYI--talked to a billings senior parent who was at the badlands banquet last night. The gazette roster positions are not entirely accurate. They rearranged the order of the roster to reflect jersey numbers on the badlands website, but did not adjust all the positions. Thus, position indicated on the last roster (apparently picked up by the gazette) are not necessarily accurate. Must be excel spreadsheet issue. Looking forward to streaming this to see who's where. Sounds like it will be a rainy day in Dickinson. Artificial field but wonder if the weather might level the field a bit for nodaks.

Obi, it is raining like a mf here going to be a wet nite, I’m afraid the passing game is going to be impacted. Nds team is quite a bit bigger up front. The question is if the Montana ol can at least neutralize them then Montana should be ok if Drew and Sumner can get free. Vim, heard that Hauck called all the griz recruits who got selected for both badlands and shrine and asked them to pick only one game to play in. Rational was that two camps back to back with triples and doubles and then fall camp was too much for one summer to keep kids fresh and intersted in football. Lol. Also heard that Pease is going to play Sulser as a true freshman this year, no redshirt for him. Right on.

1972 said:
Ursus1 said:
Montana offense is the poorest I have seen in years.

Quarterback play is way off from what we have been used to.

Classic case of aa kid playing when he has no business. Cats aren't going to find a position for him. Not an athlete at this level.

Latest posts

Back