• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Badlands Bowl roster features 8 future Griz

HelenaHandBasket said:
jcu27 said:
These announcers are some whiners! That's the shit I want to see hell yeah Pepe!

I guess if you are going to get a personal foul penalty, you should make it count.

Duh! Shit that was a nice hit no matter what. If he can play like that for the griz I will be happy as fuck. Some Keith Thompson shit right there

jcu27 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
jcu27 said:
These announcers are some whiners! That's the shit I want to see hell yeah Pepe!

I guess if you are going to get a personal foul penalty, you should make it count.

Duh! Shit that was a nice hit no matter what. If he can play like that for the griz I will be happy as f***. Some Keith Thompson shit right there

I would prefer good hits that are not a penalty...just me though

It pains me to say this and I'm almost puking saying it but Jory Choate has to be Defensive MVP. He's got a good motor.

Grizwold said:
Just curious. Did Carson Wentz play in the Badlands Bowl?

He played in 2011.

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/high-school/football/montana-overpowers-n-d-in-badlands-bowl/article_2d1fa311-e344-537c-9a5e-22d2654f1a94.amp.html

DICKINSON, N.D. — Mark Sulser has been away from the head coaching role for six years, but he still knows how to give a halftime speech.

Trailing 7-0 after a sluggish first half in Saturday’s 25th annual Knights of Columbus Badlands Bowl, Sulser’s Montana squad erupted for 35 third-quarter points en route to a 55-7 win over North Dakota.

Sulser, the former Billings Senior coach, credited his players with making his job in the second half much easier.

“Good players make you feel good and make you look good,” said Sulser, who stepped in to replace former Helena High coach Tony Arntson, who took a job at Carroll College this spring. “I was a little rusty in the first half … that’s the first time I’ve called offensive plays since 2011.

“And North Dakota came out with a good offensive game plan. They weren't in the defense that we were anticipating, so we went to Plan B at halftime. We threw out about half of our offensive plays and simplified things.”

Plan B was a good one. Montana’s offensive line and the 1-2 running back punch of Lane Sumner and Andrew Turner combined for 261 rushing yards and five touchdowns to lead the second-half rout.

Sumner, a Montana State signee from Huntley Project, rushed 31 times for 184 yards and two touchdowns. Turner, a Montana signee from Kalispell Glacier, rushed 16 times for 77 yards and three TDs.

“Our O-line and those two running backs just took over the game,” said Sulser. “We saw glimpses of that in the first half, but what we were running wasn’t set up for the defense they were in. Once we made our adjustments and got things rolling … that was a lot of fun.”

North Dakota stunned the Montana defense with an early strike, an 85-yard connection between West Fargo teammates Andy Gravdahl and Joe Pistorious. But that early 7-0 lead would be the highlight of the night for the home team.

Montana quarterback Kaleb Winterburn, of Helena High, completed 20 of 30 passes for 197, yards including a 7-yard TD to Mark Estes. Winterburn also ran for a TD.

Montana’s final TD came on a 31-yard pick-6 by Helena Capital’s Seth Schneider.

Billings West’s Cody Gagnon was 7-for-8 on PAT kicks.

Montana finished with 25 first downs to North Dakota’s eight.

The win is Montana’s fourth straight in the annual high school football all-star game between the two states, and the seventh in the last eight years. Montana now leads the overall series 19-6.

Estes was named Montana’s offensive MVP of the game, while Buckingham (Billings West LB) earned defensive MVP honors.

It’s amazing how much better Montana is compared to the ND players. 63-0 last year 55-7 this year. It would have been fun to have seen Gabe Sulser play in the game.

Latest posts

Back