• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Beat ewoo GDT

AZGrizFan said:
Hoops watcher said:
FYI he was at 45% from 3 this year going in to this contest.......now last year he was 24% including 0 for Nov, Dec and Jan it seemed and cringing was the appropriate reaction. :lol: :thumb:

I’m not saying it’s not going in, I’m just saying it’s like watching the old Phoenix Sun, Shawn Marion….

Where did he learn to shoot from the waist, thought that was over in middle school.

...griz third in the nation...
...shooting from the charity stripe...
...this and this alone make us very dangerous...

... :cool: ...

Zirg said:
EverettGriz said:
Uh, no.

These guys will NEEEVVVVVVERRRRRR sniff a p12 court

Wanna bet?

As a crew? Hell yes I’d take that bet every day and twice on Sundays. Might one of them occasionally work a p12:game with a far more experienced, quality crew? Possibly. But they’d be told in no uncertain terms to swallow their whistle.

zengriz said:
...griz third in the nation...
...shooting from the charity stripe...
...this and this alone make us very dangerous...

... :cool: ...

With the amount of fouls called per game, you got this right.

EverettGriz said:
Zirg said:
Wanna bet?

As a crew? Hell yes I’d take that bet every day and twice on Sundays. Might one of them occasionally work a p12:game with a far more experienced, quality crew? Possibly. But they’d be told in no uncertain terms to swallow their whistle.

EG, I think it would surprise you how much NBA, PAC12, MWC experience the 3 men have. I also don't think games are assigned by crew, it is by individual.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

EG, I think it would surprise you how much NBA, PAC12, MWC experience the 3 men have. I also don't think games are assigned by crew, it is by individual.

So we continue to get the guy's who sat in the back of class.

fanofzoo said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

So getting officials that have a ton of experience at the PAC12 and MWC level is getting the guys from the back of the class?

I don’t know if the free throw stats have been updated from last nights game on the official NCAA portal but we are 2nd nationally in free throw percentage. Portland is number 1 at .814 followed by the Griz at .811. With last nights 26/30 we should stay at number 2 unless the stats were not recorded then we could be number 1, last night we shot .866. Good job Griz!

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

I'd call bullshit, but I'm far too lazy to research it, so let's assume you're correct.

So then the problem is clearly the bsc (#bsc), no?? Other conference games/tournament games are NEVER officiated this way. So if we get the same guys they do (hint: we don't), then the only explanation is that the bsc (#bsc) doesn't give a shit about the quality of their athletics. There are no other answers, and in neither case do we as fans come out winners.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I'd call bullshit, but I'm far too lazy to research it, so let's assume you're correct.

So then the problem is clearly the bsc (#bsc), no?? Other conference games/tournament games are NEVER officiated this way. So if we get the same guys they do (hint: we don't), then the only explanation is that the bsc (#bsc) doesn't give a shit about the quality of their athletics. There are no other answers, and in neither case do we as fans come out winners.

Well, overall the BSC schools are some of the most foul prone. Is this more about poor officiating or a poor level of play or how teams play or a combination of those? My point, I don't think officiating is the sole reason.

Maybe I can help. Refs who make calls against the Griz suck, and those who make calls against Griz opponents are top-notch.

You’re welcome.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Well, overall the BSC schools are some of the most foul prone. Is this more about poor officiating or a poor level of play or how teams play or a combination of those? My point, I don't think officiating is the sole reason.

How odd that is never the case when they play out of conference games. I guess they must only be foul prone in bsc (#bsc) gyms, which really does make all the sense in the world. :roll:

Having attended the Montana GrizWBB game vs EWU, I knew the final score before I started the on-demand game stream of Montana's 90-78 win at Cheney. "Ninety points?" I thought. Montana's game was crisp, clean and aggressively played, but as the game progressed, the 90-point plateau seemed out of reach. SO, with 3:40 remaining in the game, and the Griz leading 68-61, Lonnell Martin made two free throws for a 70-61 Griz lead. Meaning that 19 of Montana's 22 final points (3 were on Montana's last trey by Robbie Beasley) would be scored at the free throw line. Nineteen of 22 points (in the span of 3:40) from the charity stripe. Beyond the simple lesson that it probably won't work to try to get back into a game by fouling the Griz... I'm not certain I've ever seen a Montana team score that many points from the free throw line in the span of 3 minutes plus. Here's the kicker: Eastern's final 3-minute fouling spree would even the foul total for both teams at 28. Yikes.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

How odd that is never the case when they play out of conference games. I guess they must only be foul prone in bsc (#bsc) gyms, which really does make all the sense in the world. :roll:

I know, factors other than the officials would blow up your narrative of how much the BSC sucks.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

I know, factors other than the officials would blow up your narrative of how much the BSC sucks.

I see you're attempting the never- ending - circular -argument - approach, by disagreeing with the the issue, but never really saying anything. Well played, sir. Well played.

That said, I'll make one final attempt: so you tell us what the issue is if it isn't the conference, and it isn't the officiating. 99% of posters not only on this board but every other bsc (#bsc) board agree: the officiating is terrible and vastly different and inferior to that of other conferences and officials in the tournament. So what causes that?

HelenaHandBasket said:
fanofzoo said:

So getting officials that have a ton of experience at the PAC12 and MWC level is getting the guys from the back of the class?

By the way they called that game, yes.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I see you're attempting the never- ending - circular -argument - approach, by disagreeing with the the issue, but never really saying anything. Well played, sir. Well played.

That said, I'll make one final attempt: so you tell us what the issue is if it isn't the conference, and it isn't the officiating. 99% of posters not only on this board but every other bsc (#bsc) board agree: the officiating is terrible and vastly different and inferior to that of other conferences and officials in the tournament. So what causes that?

It is just so weird that those same officials work games in other conferences, yet the BSC is the only one with issues. It would make someone think there may be other factors.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
It is just so weird that those same officials work games in other conferences, yet the BSC is the only one with issues. It would make someone think there may be other factors.
This was supposed to enhance officiating in the west (release in 2016): Western Officiating Consortium:
https://pac-12.com/article/2016/08/...consortium-expands-include-big-sky-conference
The Pac-12, Mountain West, Big West, West Coast and Western Athletic Conferences are further expanding their men's basketball officiating consortium to include the Big Sky Conference for the 2016-17 season.
The consortium is designed to promote consistency - in training, development and evaluation - in officiating in the western U.S., and provide a larger, more diverse pool of officials for assignment.
Veteran referee and officiating coordinator Bobby Dibler will continue to lead the WOC as he has done since its inception. ...
And here's a take (from Feb 2018) on what a crazy problem it is.
https://tucson.com/sports/greghanse...cle_4649def8-25b2-507c-a36c-9738d6a1c6ae.html
Key quotes:
... Dibler was on the phone with angry Utah athletic director Chris Hill a few minutes after the Utes’ throbbing 80-77 loss to Arizona State, a game in which 51 fouls were called, about 15 more than a typical Pac-12 game. ... The Pac-12 fined Hill $10,000.
The conundrum is this: how does someone like Brown [a young, inexperienced official in 2018] get ready for big-time showdowns in the Pac-12 if he’s always calling Big Sky games?
That last quote (and other info in the article) makes it pretty clear that Dibler leans on his better, more experienced officials for the "big" conferences. Brown, for example, had refereed just 19 games by mid-season in 2018, and only three were in the Pac-12.

Officiating in the Big Sky suffers because we get the younger, inexperienced, and (generally) lower-rated officials. Sure these guy do get into a few major conference games, but most of the time ... not.

Neither article is a quick read, but they tell you a lot about what Montana, and the Big Sky in general, is up against.

Reading between the lines in the articles above (and some others) nudges me toward the notion that getting into the Consortium might have hurt more than helped the Big Sky. Why? Because Dibler may well have skimmed off the best of the BSC pool of officials (there must have been some) for his preferred "big time" conferences. The Sky thus became a "Double-A" minor league to "develop" officials for the big time (or run them out).

Back