• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker 2023-2024

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:
Already been addressed. Only research I ever did was ig mixtapes and was a literal teenager. Now know more than you do. Which is why, the only bad takes of mine you can point out are from multiple years ago. And, Battle was absolutely a risk, one that the Cats could afford to take with a heavy upper class presence and an afforded year of bench development that proved huge for him, compared to the young Griz guard room filled with guys who all needed the ball in their hands to make things happen. If you knew even a little basketball, you’d know fit is the single biggest factor in the success of a prospect. Again, you couldn’t pay me to make DeCuire try to make a guard room of Battle, Whitney, Parker?, Gaskin?, Beasley work. There’s only one ball.
And you, you clearly still think Momberg is a D-1 basketball player. So maybe it’s time for you to look in the mirror.

This above comment of yours is just plain stupid, regarding a frosh McDonald's all-American.

"Just another drop down, nothing more special than any of the previous."

You have learned little or nothing. You never played basketball and don't understand the game. You just read and research some.

Battle was zero risk to the Cats, and had a huge upside. Fit is not the biggest factor in the success of a prospect. That statement is also just plain stupid. Travis could have easily made a guard room of those guys. They would have all liked Battle and realized he was great talent. Again, your comment is just plain stupid. You have never been in a locker room, nor on a court. I never said Momberg was a D-I player. I said only that the new coach shouldn't have immediately cut 6 scholarship players, including Momberg. His move was unprecedented in the history of college basketball, to my knowledge, and he got nothing in return for doing it.

You have learned little or nothing about basketball, since you knew nothing about basketball. I can't imagine that any knowledgeable basketball fans in this section would disagree with me.

No McDonald's all-American is just another drop down, nor is someone moving from one school in D-I to another school in D-I a dropdown.

Battle didn't need or get bench development. After early January a year ago, he was either the Cats 2d or 3d leading scorer. He was the conference 6th man of the year. He was unanimous first team all-conference and conference tourney MVP this year.

Feel free to spout your childish, immature and unknowledgeable BS, but note that every once in awhile, I am going to call you out for it.
High school rankings are thrown out the window when the guy fails to average a single point on a bad UW team. He is in fact, nothing more special than any of the previous drop downs(Power to low mid major is indeed a drop down).And, Battle showcased more upside at the time he transferred than Grant did. “Battle didn’t need or get bench development.” Uh he played an entire year off the bench behind two upperclassmen, all-conference guards. We didn’t have that luxury. Those are all facts. Argue with a wall. Done with your derailing threads arguing things that shouldn’t be argued.

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:
This above comment of yours is just plain stupid, regarding a frosh McDonald's all-American.

"Just another drop down, nothing more special than any of the previous."

You have learned little or nothing. You never played basketball and don't understand the game. You just read and research some.

Battle was zero risk to the Cats, and had a huge upside. Fit is not the biggest factor in the success of a prospect. That statement is also just plain stupid. Travis could have easily made a guard room of those guys. They would have all liked Battle and realized he was great talent. Again, your comment is just plain stupid. You have never been in a locker room, nor on a court. I never said Momberg was a D-I player. I said only that the new coach shouldn't have immediately cut 6 scholarship players, including Momberg. His move was unprecedented in the history of college basketball, to my knowledge, and he got nothing in return for doing it.

You have learned little or nothing about basketball, since you knew nothing about basketball. I can't imagine that any knowledgeable basketball fans in this section would disagree with me.

No McDonald's all-American is just another drop down, nor is someone moving from one school in D-I to another school in D-I a dropdown.

Battle didn't need or get bench development. After early January a year ago, he was either the Cats 2d or 3d leading scorer. He was the conference 6th man of the year. He was unanimous first team all-conference and conference tourney MVP this year.

Feel free to spout your childish, immature and unknowledgeable BS, but note that every once in awhile, I am going to call you out for it.
High school rankings are thrown out the window when the guy fails to average a single point on a bad UW team. He is in fact, nothing more special than any of the previous drop downs(Power to low mid major is indeed a drop down).And, Battle showcased more upside at the time he transferred than Grant did. “Battle didn’t need or get bench development.” Uh he played an entire year off the bench behind two upperclassmen, all-conference guards. We didn’t have that luxury. Those are all facts. Argue with a wall. Done with your derailing threads arguing things that shouldn’t be argued.

No, high school rankings are not thrown out the window after one year. The kid has many years to show how good he is. Also, the UW coach is terrible. He has a history of mishandling and losing players. Battle played off the bench because Sprinkle didn't change the lineup, he just changed the minutes and the emphasis. After early January, Battle was the 3d leading scorer on the team and was almost always in close games at the end. MSU did not all 2 all-conference guards. MSU had 1. The other didn't make the top 3 teams of all-conference. Battle also outscored the other guard after early January. Battle scored 11.375 after early January. Compare to Belo's 12.8 and Bishop's 13.9 for the season. Also, MSU listed 4 guards plus Belo as starters in most games in that season.

Generally, you take the best players you can get and fit them together as best you can. There's competition for playing time. Some don't get as much as they want. Those are the breaks. Some then leave the team the next year. Some starters leave the team the next year too. The coach just has to deal with that. This doesn't mean that coaches should take bad apples or disruptive personalities.

I wonder what this new UW transfer will do now, with Sprinkle apparently departing. Maybe the Griz have been talking to him.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

No, high school rankings are not thrown out the window after one year. The kid has many years to show how good he is. Also, the UW coach is terrible. He has a history of mishandling and losing players. Battle played off the bench because Sprinkle didn't change the lineup, he just changed the minutes and the emphasis. After early January, Battle was the 3d leading scorer on the team and was almost always in close games at the end. MSU did not all 2 all-conference guards. MSU had 1. The other didn't make the top 3 teams of all-conference. Battle also outscored the other guard after early January. Battle scored 11.375 after early January. Compare to Belo's 12.8 and Bishop's 13.9 for the season. Also, MSU listed 4 guards plus Belo as starters in most games in that season.

Generally, you take the best players you can get and fit them together as best you can. There's competition for playing time. Some don't get as much as they want. Those are the breaks. Some then leave the team the next year. Some starters leave the team the next year too. The coach just has to deal with that. This doesn't mean that coaches should take bad apples or disruptive personalities.

I wonder what this new UW transfer will do now, with Sprinkle apparently departing.
Rankings are thrown out the window the second you step on campus. Care to tell me how many top 50 recruits played in the final 4? Bishop was 1st team. Adamu was HM. That’s two all conference caliber guards that allowed him to ease into things, and come into his own the second half of the season, as you mentioned. He had some very poor games the first half of that season.(9.9 PPG in conference play v 8.5 overall, 49% in conf, 45.7 overall)Your analysis is very shallow.
As far as MSU starting 4 “guards”. Two of them were 6’7/6’8, one listed officially as G/F. Patterson, while listed as a “guard”. Had effectively no guard duties. He was effectively a floor spacing wing that was hidden on defense. What players are “listed” at, and what they actually do are two different things. Again, shallow analysis.
Don’t know why you’re arguing over Grant. Said he’d contribute. Simply said he wasn’t as good as he was touted out of HS, and that he’s not going to magically become the Big Sky POY a year after not averaging a single point.
Finally, you mention how the UW coach is terrible. Yet you find yourself saying fit is not the most important aspect of a prospect success, aside from talent? Do you not see how that’s contradictory? This considered, do you still not see, how, with an already filled guard room with guys who all need the ball, with a coach who, at the time, ran a system that in no way was shot creator friendly, and on one of the slowest basketball teams in the country, that Battle, a high volume shot creator, that plays with the ball in his hands and out in transition, might’ve struggled? Seriously?

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

I wonder what this new UW transfer will do now, with Sprinkle apparently departing.
Rankings are thrown out the window the second you step on campus. Care to tell me how many top 50 recruits played in the final 4? Bishop was 1st team. Adamu was HM. That’s two all conference caliber guards that allowed him to ease into things, and come into his own the second half of the season, as you mentioned. He had some very poor games the first half of that season.(9.9 PPG in conference play v 8.5 overall, 49% in conf, 45.7 overall)Your analysis is very shallow.
As far as MSU starting 4 “guards”. Two of them were 6’7/6’8, one listed officially as G/F. Patterson, while listed as a “guard”. Had effectively no guard duties. He was effectively a floor spacing wing that was hidden on defense. What players are “listed” at, and what they actually do are two different things. Again, shallow analysis.
Don’t know why you’re arguing over Grant. Said he’d contribute. Simply said he wasn’t as good as he was touted out of HS, and that he’s not going to magically become the Big Sky POY a year after not averaging a single point.
Finally, you mention how the UW coach is terrible. Yet you find yourself saying fit is not the most important aspect of a prospect success, aside from talent? Do you not see how that’s contradictory? This considered, do you still not see, how, with an already filled guard room with guys who all need the ball, with a coach who, at the time, ran a system that in no way was shot creator friendly, and on one of the slowest basketball teams in the country, that Battle, a high volume shot creator, that plays with the ball in his hands and out in transition, might’ve struggled? Seriously?

Honorable mention is not the same as all-conference. Patterson started and was listed as a guard this season. Yes, the UW coach is terrible. He drives off players and can't evaluate or motivate talent. That has nothing to do with fit. You never played the game; you don't even know what fit is. Battle didn't play with the ball in his hands this season. He played off the ball. He often didn't get the ball on possessions. Battle can create a good or decent shot almost anytime he gets the ball. He's not a ball hog either.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

Honorable mention is not the same as all-conference. Patterson started and was listed as a guard this season. Yes, the UW coach is terrible. He drives off players and can't evaluate or motivate talent. That has nothing to do with fit. You never played the game; you don't even know what fit is. Battle didn't play with the ball in his hands this season. He played off the ball. He often didn't get the ball on possessions. Battle can create a good or decent shot almost anytime he gets the ball. He's not a ball hog either.

Yeah you just don’t know ball, period. Battles USG rate was 30%. Bannans was 26% overall and 27% in conference. At this point you’re just lying for fun, or again, your analysis is extremely shallow. Coaches and systems, along with who they’re playing with, define fit. Honorable mention, on a team with two all conference first teamers, is an all conference caliber player. Period. “Often didn’t get the ball on possessions”. Lmao! LeBron’s career usage rate is 31.6. Done responding to your delusions.

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Yeah you just don’t know ball, period. Battles USG rate was 30%. Bannans was 26% overall and 27% in conference. At this point you’re just lying for fun, or again, your analysis is extremely shallow. Coaches and systems, along with who they’re playing with, define fit. Honorable mention, on a team with two all conference first teamers, is an all conference caliber player. Period. “Often didn’t get the ball on possessions”. Lmao! LeBron’s career usage rate is 31.6. Done responding to your delusions.

USG rate doesn't measure how often a player has the ball. It sort of measures how productive the player is when he has the ball. Again, Battler does not "play with the play in hands". He is productive when he has the ball.

To be precise, USG measures player involvement if the play end in one of the three true results: field-goal attempt, free-throw attempt or turnover. When Battle gets the ball in transition, he often always makes a play. When he eventually gets the ball in the offense, he often makes a play or gets a shot off and often gets to the free throw line. With his athleticism, jumping ability and shooting range, he often can get a good shot off. I watched half of the Cat games this season, including all down the stretch. I know how often he didn't touch the ball. I know what he did with the ball when he got it. I can tell you didn't watch the Cat games.

You don't know enough about the game of basketball to know what fit means. Battle was better than the honorable mention player last year, and outscored that player from early January on. He was also 6th man of the year. Had the honorable mention been the sixth man on the team, he was not have one the sixth man honor.

Go up and down this list. Usage rates of anything over 28-29 means most action is being run for or through you. That’s the entire point.
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=nba+usage+rate+leaders+2022-23

Grizfan-24 said:
Here is the best but not only source for the carnage that is the transfer portal.

Going to see a bunch of Grad Transfers this year for players who are using their covid years. Last year saw fewer Grad Transfers than the year before, and total numbers into the portal. NCAA hasn't changed the roster number maxes and as along as those stay the same, we are going to see a bit larger than usual roster crunch in certain programs who recruited as usual.

*** Transfer Rules***
1. Players have 1 free transfer in their collegiate career
2. Grad Transfers have the ability to depart programs free of penalty as a second transfer under specific conditions.
3. NCAA granted 1 year of extra eligibility for players on NCAA rosters in the Covid Shortened Years.
4. Players can remove themselves from the list w/out penalty.
5. The window for transfer portal is 60 days and will close May 11th. Players can apply to be in the portal after that until the end of July, but it requires NCAA permission to do so. After that date, players can leave programs but their movement to new programs is restricted significantly. After that there is a roster freeze and new additions to active rosters are generally prohibited. Kids can enroll in school at a new institution but require NCAA clearance to become eligible.

*** Thread Rules***
1. Players who submit to the portal will be counted, from teams current 2022-23 Rosters.
2. Targets can be self reported (Twitter/IG) or through entities such as VC (Verbal Commits), Jake Leiberman, or other media sources. Offers have to be confirmed by a legitimate media source, including players confirmed Twitter/IG accounts.
3. Focus is on Transfer Portal Players, moving from NCAA programs to other programs. JC and Prep School kids are tracked through the regular recruiting thread.

***Key***
Positions (PG-Point Guard, SG-Shooting Guard, CG- Combo Guard, SF-Small Forward, PF-Power Forward, C-Center, W- Wing, P-Post)
Experience (HS-Highschool, RS- Redshirt, E-Eligibility, FR-Freshman, So.-Sophomore, Jr.-Junior, Sr. Senior, GT Grad Transfer, TR- Underclassman Transfer, S- Scholarship, WO-Walk On)
Rankings (1S..2S..- 2Star, AC- All Conference, )
Sources: (247, VC-Verbal Commits, JL-Jake Lieberman, JG-Jeff Goodman,)

MONTANA ROSTER DEMOGRAPHICS
Scholarships Available:[/b] +1 or 2 (Martin Jr. and Brown Transfer)

CURRENT ROSTER:
ROSTER BY POSITION/YEAR

*PG-- Brandon Whitney (6'1'' 185) Senior-- Mission Hills, CA (Bishop Alemany)- S
CG- Josh Vasquez (6'3'' 177) Senior-- Torrance, CA (Bishop Montgomery)- S (COVID YEAR)
CG- Jonathan Brown (6'3'' 190) Senior-- London, Eng (Central Methodist)- S Transfer Portal 3/17
*SG- Lonnell Martin Jr. (6'4'' 207) Senior-- Flint, MI (Otero JC)- S Transfer Portal 3/13
*SG- Aanen Moody (6'3'' 184) Senior-- Dickenson, ND (Southern Utah/North Dakota)- S (COVID YEAR)
PG- Isaiah Kerr (6'3'' 185) RS Freshman-- Palo Alto, CA (St. Francis HS)- S
PG- Chase Henderson (6'0") Freshman--Des Moines, IA (Herbert Hoover)-S
SG- Dorrell Thomas (6'5''185) RS Freshman-- Durham, NC (Skyline Prep)-S
SG- Money Williams (6'4'') Freshman-- Oakland, CA (Oakland HS)-S

W- Trey Lawrence (6'5'' 173) RS Junior-- Snohomish, CA (Bellevue C.C.)-WO (Retired)

W- Jaxon Nap (6'7'' 205) Sophomore-- Renton, WA (Hazen HS)-S
W- Caden Bateman (6'7'' 200) RS Freshman-- Missoula, MT (Big Sky HS)- WO

*P- Josh Bannan (6'10'' 222) Senior-- Melbourne, Aus (UC Lake Ginnindera)- S Left Early Pro-Ball
*P- Dischon Thomas (6'9'' 235) Senior -- Durham, NC (Colorado State)- S
P- Laolu Oke (6'8'' 218) Senior-- Aurora, CO (CSU Denver)-S
P- John Solomon (6'8'' 211) Sophomore -- Sarasota, FL (Riverview HS)- WO
P- Rhett Reynolds (6'9'' 199) RS Freshman -- Shelby, MT (Shelby HS)- S
P- Zack Davidson (6'8'' 203) Freshman-- Santa Ana, CA (Mater Dei HS)-S

ROSTER DETAILS
Scholarship: 10; Seniors-3 (Whitney, Brown, Martin Jr, Bannon, Thomas, Di, Oke) Juniors-0 (None) Sophomore-1(Nap) Freshman: 6 (Kerr, Henderson, Thomas, Williams, Reynolds, Davidson), Covid Year: (Moody-Sr, Vasquez-Sr.)
Transfers: (Brown, Martin, Thomas, Di, Oke)
High School: (Whitney, Kerr, Henderson, Thomas, Do, Williams, Nap, Bateman, Bannan, Solomon, Reynolds, Davidson)

Montana Roster Info:
* Josh Vasquez, should he return in 2023-24, will NOT count against the current seasons scholarship total.
** Aaanen Moody medical redshirt will likely not count against the scholarship total.
*** Current Roster for 2023-24 18 which is beyond the 15 player active roster limit. 15 and 13 due to Martin and Brown transfers 3/13/23
i: Active Roster does not count players who red shirt. Montana has several players who could redshirt in 2023-24 to reduce roster size (Davidson, Henderson, Williams, and Nap)
**** Scholarship Levels can exceed 13 in a given year, only when the 4 year average is below 13.

MONTANA TARGETS
Interest
PG- Russell Dean (6'5'' 200) Hampton RS Junior. 2E TR (C/O 2019) -Twitter Confirmation
PG- Mike Meadows (6'2" 175) Portland/Eastern Washington RS Junior 2E TR (C/O 2018)- Loyola Marymount
PG- P.J. Fuller (6'4'' 200) Washington. Junior. 2E (C/O 2019)- Prior Interest. Offer 2019.
SG-Xavier Dusell (6'4'' 190) Wyoming. Sophomore 2E (C/O 2020)- Offered in 2017
SG- Andrew Rhode (6'6'' 160) St. Thomas. Freshman 3E (C/O 2022)- Gonna get tons of offers. May end up at Marquette or Wisconsin.
SG- Kareem Thompson (6'5'' 214) Oral Roberts 1E/2E (C/O 2019) 8ppg 40% 3pt, 5rpg
SF- Jamison Battle (6'7'' 225) Minnesota. Junior 2E (C/O 2019) Offered in 2017.
PF- Jackson Grant (6'10'') Washington Sophomore. 2E TR (C/O 2021)- Prior Interest. -MSU VERBAL
PF/C- Carson Basham (6'10'') Pepperdine Sophomore. 2E TR (C/O 2021)- Offer 2019. (29 S, 7.5pg, 4.1rpg)
C- Dishon Jackson (6'10'') Washington State. Sophomore. 3E TR (C/O 2022)- Offered 2020.
Offers:

Commitments:

Commitments Elsewhere:

2023-24 BIG SKY CONFERENCE TRANSFER TRACKER

EASTERN WASHINGTON: (4/I)

Outgoing:
SF- Imhotep George (6'8'' 195) RS Junior. IE (C/O 2018) 7GP
SF- Steele Venters (6'7'' 185) RS Sophomore. 3E (C/O 2019) 15.3ppg Big Sky All Conference - Gonzaga (4-7-23)
PG- Ty Harper (6'3'' 175) Sophomore. 2E (C/O 2021)
SG- Deon Stroud (6'5'' 200) RS Junior. 2E (C/O 2018)
Incoming:

IDAHO: (3/-:)

Outgoing:

PG- Yusef Salih (6'0'' 175) Sophomore. 2E (C/O 2021) 32 GP 30 mpg 6ppg
SG- Tyler Halligan (6'4'' 196) Freshman. 4E (C/O 2022) -Walk On DNP
PF- Nigel Burris (6'7'' 205) Freshman. 3E (C/O 2022)- Big Sky Conference FR POY

Incoming:

IDAHO STATE: (4/-:)

Outgoing:
PG- Tommy Ball (6'0" 175) - Freshman - 3E TR (C/0 2020) - 3 GP
SG- Ronnie Stapp (6'6'' 180) - RS Junior- 2E (TR) (C/O 2018)- 3 GP
SF- Ed Chang (6'8'' 215) - Senior- 1E GT (C/O 2018)- 12GP
PF- Daxton Carr (6'7'' 215)- RS Junior 2E TR (C/O 2109)-31GP 3ppg

Incoming:

MONTANA: (2/-:)

Outgoing:

PG Jonathan Brown (6'3'' 204) Junior. 2E (C/O 2019)
SG/SF Lonnell Martin Jr. (6'4'' 207) RS Junior. 1E TR/GT (C/O 2019)

Incoming:

MONTANA STATE: (2/1:)

Outgoing:

SG- Nick Gazelas (6'4'' 180)- Junior 2E (C/O 2019) 30 GP 10 mpg
SF- Alex Germer (6'8'' 190)- Redshirt Freshman 3E (C/O 2021) - College of Idaho (3/31/23)
Incoming:
PF- Jackson Grant (6'10'' 220)- Sophomore. 2E (C/O 2021)- University of Washington (4-6-23)

NORTHERN ARIZONA: (4/-:)

Outgoing:

SF-Keith Haymon (6'7'' 200)- RS Junior 2E TR (C/O 2018) 27 GP 10.8 mpg
PG- Preston Kilbert (5'11'' 175)- RS Freshman 4E TR (C/O) -DNP WALK ON REDSHIRT
PG/SG- Jalen Cone (5'11'' 175)- Junior 2E TR (C/O 2019)- 33 GP 17.8ppg (3rd All Conference)
PF- Will Coates (6'8'' 185)- Freshman 3E (C/O 2022)
Incoming:

NORTHERN COLORADO: (5/-:)

Outgoing:

2S-PF Jamel Melvin (6'11'' 205) - Soph. 2E TR (C/O/ 2020) -- 11 GP
2S-SG Dawson Mohr (6'3'' 190)- Fresh. 3E TR (C/O 2021) -- 3 GP
2S-PF Bryce Kennedy (6'7'' 200)- Soph. 3E TR (C/O 2020) -- 9 GP
SG- Caleb Shaw (6'5'')- Freshman. 3E TR (C/O 2022) --32GP 17mpg 5ppg
SG- Dalton Knecht (6'6''197) 1E TR (C/O 2022)- 32 GP 20.1ppgs (All Conference)

Incoming:

PORTLAND STATE: (1/-:)

Outgoing:
PF- Trey Wood (6'8'' 210) RS Junior. 2E. GTR (C/O 2018)- 10 GP

Incoming:

SACRAMENTO STATE: (4/1:)

Outgoing:

PG- Chris Holley (6'2'' 175) Sophomore. 2E TR (C/O 2021) - 1GP (WO)
PG- Xavier Ford (6'3'' 205) Junior. 1E TR (C/O 2021)- 3GP 5mins (WO)
SG- Teiano Vandee (6'5'' 200) Sophomore. 2E TR (C/O 2020) - 9GP (WO)
SG- Cameron Wilbon (6'5" 200) Senior. 1E TR (C/O 2018)- 32 GP 25mpg 8ppg- CSU Bakersfield

Incoming:
PF- Jacob Holt (6'9'' 235) Sophomore. 2E TR (C/O 2021) - Santa Clara

WEBER STATE: (4/-:)

Outgoing:

PG- J.J. Louden (6'5" 195) Freshman. 3E TR (C/O 2022)- 6 GP
PG- Abdul -Noor Beyah (5'9'') Freshman. 4E TR (C/O 2020)- DNP WO
SG- Keith Dinwiddie (6'0" 185) Sophomore 2E (C/O 2020)- 15 GP 18 mpg.
PF- Sebastian Gahse (6'9'' 235) Junior 1E (C/O 2019)- DNP WO

Incoming:

UMFan12 said:
Go up and down this list. Usage rates of anything over 28-29 means most action is being run for or through you. That’s the entire point.

No, the point was you said he played with ball in his hands. He doesn’t. He plays off the ball. He is productive when he gets the ball. You would have to watch games to know this. This is another example of your not knowing basketball. You read stats and don’t know what they mean or misapply them.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

No, the point was you said he played with ball in his hands. He doesn’t. He plays off the ball. He is productive when he gets the ball. You would have to watch games to know this. This is another example of your not knowing basketball. You read stats and don’t know what they mean or misapply them.

You don’t have a 30 usage rate by accident. Look at that list. Look at the guys above the 28/29 line. Tell me with a straight face a single one of those guys is playing off the ball. You can’t.

As for what actually playing off the ball is. Steele Venters. He will find more success playing high competition than Battle did. Simply because, he actually can play off the ball. Venters had a 24% USG despite averaging a similar stat line. Didn’t need action run through him to score. Phenomenal smart cutter and shooter. If he could defend even a little, he’d be a borderline nba prospect. By needing action run through you, whether that be double down screens every possession to get you the ball coming off of them and letting you create for yourself out of it. That is nothing close to playing off the ball. Just because he’s not taking the ball up/initiating offense, does not mean he’s playing traditionally off ball when the action being run is to get him the ball in the mid range. How many times was he given to e ball in that area and isolation resulted from that? I’m asking you….You claim to know what you’re watching, would you consider that playing off the ball?

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

You don’t have a 30 usage rate by accident. Look at that list. Look at the guys above the 28/29 line. Tell me with a straight face a single one of those guys is playing off the ball. You can’t.

As for what actually playing off the ball is. Steele Venters. He will find more success playing high competition than Battle did. Simply because, he actually can play off the ball. Venters had a 24% USG despite averaging a similar stat line. Didn’t need action run through him to score. Phenomenal smart cutter and shooter. If he could defend even a little, he’d be a borderline nba prospect. By needing action run through you, whether that be double down screens every possession to get you the ball coming off of them and letting you create for yourself out of it. That is nothing close to playing off the ball. Just because he’s not taking the ball up/initiating offense, does not mean he’s playing traditionally off ball when the action being run is to get him the ball in the mid range. How many times was he given to e ball in that area and isolation resulted from that? I’m asking you….You claim to know what you’re watching, would you consider that playing off the ball?

The discussion is about Battle, not anyone else. I saw him play 20 times this year. I know where and how he plays, and how he's used. You don't. I am also good friends with one of the Cat coaches. Yes, Battle and what you said is playing off the ball. In any event, the discussion was whether he played "with the ball". You said he plays with the ball. He doesn't. Again, you don't understand the game of basketball. You never played the game. You've also never coached it. Probably have never talked to a real coach. either.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

The discussion is about Battle, not anyone else. I saw him play 20 times this year. I know where and how he plays, and how he's used. You don't. I am also good friends with one of the Cat coaches. Yes, Battle and what you said is playing off the ball. In any event, the discussion was whether he played "with the ball". You said he plays with the ball. He doesn't. Again, you don't understand the game of basketball. You never played the game. You've also never coached it. Probably have never talked to a real coach. either.
Yeah you’re right. The Cats totally didn’t run sets to get him the ball in spots where he was most comfortable isolating from. My fault. 30% Usage with just an assist and a turnover is indicative of one thing and one thing only. The conversation is about Battle yes, I used an example of a player actually comfortable playing off the ball looks like. We’re talking Klay Thompson vs Carmelo Anthony. By your definition, the only guys “on the ball” are point guards. I’m telling you that’s narrow minded and not how the game works functionally. You’ve said he’s also not a ball hog. A 30% usage, you’re saying he’s playing off the ball, and also not a ball hog. Math ain’t mathing, those statements are mutually exclusive. When Battle is thrown into a system where he actually has to play off the ball, the way he would in the nba, you get UW. Volume shooters need lots of shots and lots of touches to form a rhythm. That’s the exact kind of player Battle is. That’s the exact reason he doesn’t fit into an nba system. He’s not on the talent level of guys who can do that in the league. When you’re wondering why he won’t make it,You’re welcome. This is why. He does nothing else at an above average level

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:
Yeah you’re right. The Cats totally didn’t run sets to get him the ball in spots where he was most comfortable isolating from. My fault. 30% Usage with just an assist and a turnover is indicative of one thing and one thing only. The conversation is about Battle yes, I used an example of a player actually comfortable playing off the ball looks like. We’re talking Klay Thompson vs Carmelo Anthony. By your definition, the only guys “on the ball” are point guards. I’m telling you that’s narrow minded and not how the game works functionally. You’ve said he’s also not a ball hog. A 30% usage, you’re saying he’s playing off the ball, and also not a ball hog. Math ain’t mathing, those statements are mutually exclusive. When Battle is thrown into a system where he actually has to play off the ball, the way he would in the nba, you get UW. Volume shooters need lots of shots and lots of touches to form a rhythm. That’s the exact kind of player Battle is. That’s the exact reason he doesn’t fit into an nba system. He’s not on the talent level of guys who can do that in the league. When you’re wondering why he won’t make it,You’re welcome. This is why. He does nothing else at an above average level
You’re going to respond with some bs, so here’s a summary.
-Battle is 30% usage. Again, obviously sets go through him.
-The only sample size of Battle ever playing at a low usage was UW. He shot 25%. Even last year he was near 26%(Bannan level usage), this is why the bench role fit him better last year, staggering him and the PG as much as possible
-No NBA team is going to be able to give him that usage rate, and because he does nothing else even at an above average level, he will not make an nba roster. It will not be close.

Those are the facts
He’s a high volume shot creator. That’s how he plays. That means he’s playing ends of possessions on the ball(USG is the dead giveaway, unarguable), and any prior action is being run to get him the ball in his spots.

UMFan12 said:
mthoopsfan said:

A player who plays off the ball is a player who plays off the ball. Players who are not point guards are not always off the ball players. Running sets to get someone a good look or ball in a good place, is not "playing with the ball". Sorry, why can't you just admit that you were wrong when you said that?

There is nothing you can tell me about basketball, because you have said you never played basketball and I can see that you don't understand the game. You read about basketball. You claim to have self-taught yourself basketball in the last few years. Now, that is really funny.

Battle can get his shots from almost anywhere, because he is so athletic. He doesn't dribble and dribble and hope something opens up.

The NBA system, as you may think it is, has nothing to do with what Battle is doing now with MSU, and how they are using him. Please stick to the topic being discussed. When you know you goofed up and said something stupid, you sure try hard to change the subject. Sorry, but I'm not going to let you get away with that.

mthoopsfan said:
UMFan12 said:

A player who plays off the ball is a player who plays off the ball. Players who are not point guards are not always off the ball players. Running sets to get someone a good look or ball in a good place, is not "playing with the ball". Sorry, why can't you just admit that you were wrong when you said that?

There is nothing you can tell me about basketball, because you have said you never played basketball and I can see that you don't understand the game. You read about basketball. You claim to have self-taught yourself basketball in the last few years. Now, that is really funny.

Battle can get his shots from almost anywhere, because he is so athletic. He doesn't dribble and dribble and hope something opens up.

The NBA system, as you may think it is, has nothing to do with what Battle is doing now with MSU, and how they are using him. Please stick to the topic being discussed. When you know you goofed up and said something stupid, you sure try hard to change the subject. Sorry, but I'm not going to let you get away with that.
Read above. You can’t run sets for multiple guys at the same time, relating to fit. Was the entire point. Having multiple guys who need the ball in their hands to make things happen, and don’t function well off of it not working, was the entire point. Having multiple guards who can’t play make for others but are ultimately looking for shots themselves, never works. Is the entire point. Now-Beasley, Whitney, and Battle. Look at their usage and assist numbers. Look at how the offense functions when they are stuck completely off the ball the way at least one of them would be in all possessions. Look at how offense needs to be run for those guys to be effective. Is the entire point. They would not have worked together, the same way Kyrie and Luka don’t work together.Is the entire point. What you consider on vs off, and how they actually get their shots when they do get it, is irrelevant.

UMFan12 said:
UMFan12 said:
You’re going to respond with some bs, so here’s a summary.
-Battle is 30% usage. Again, obviously sets go through him.
-The only sample size of Battle ever playing at a low usage was UW. He shot 25%. Even last year he was near 26%(Bannan level usage), this is why the bench role fit him better last year, staggering him and the PG as much as possible
-No NBA team is going to be able to give him that usage rate, and because he does nothing else even at an above average level, he will not make an nba roster. It will not be close.

Those are the facts
He’s a high volume shot creator. That’s how he plays. That means he’s playing ends of possessions on the ball(USG is the dead giveaway, unarguable), and any prior action is being run to get him the ball in his spots.

Yes, Battle is a high volume shot creator, but he doe not "play with the ball". He is productive when he get the balls. He consistently plays off the ball.

Here are some stats-all splits for MSU and Battle from last season (when he was very productive). Open the link so you know what it is.

He led the team in points per game, by far. He was 3.5 ahead of Bishop.

His Player Efficiency Rating was higher than all guards and everyone other than the 2 posts.

https://www.lines.com/ncaab/teams/montana-state/stats

"The player efficiency rating (PER) is John Hollinger's all-in-one basketball rating, which attempts to collect or boil down all of a player's contributions into one number. Using a detailed formula, Hollinger developed a system that rates every player's statistical performance."

Back