• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky WBB transfers

mthoopsfan said:
GrizBaba said:
Last year's transfers included:
- Dixson (FR) -> Cal State San Marcos
- Mills (JR) -> Southeastern University
- Momberg (FR) -> Montana Western
- Murphy (FR) -> UT Chattanooga
- Schweyen (FR) -> Montana State (for Track & Field)

I wouldn't call them "transfers". They were terminated and found new programs. Did any of them go through the portal? Did any of them voluntarily leave the LG? Murphy would have been a contributor this past season. A good rebounder.

Big difference between terminated and not renewed.

HelenaHandBasket said:
mthoopsfan said:
Did anyone go into the transfer portal the previous two years?

Sure, but most of the scholarship money that went down the drain was corrected by the coach not renewing.

Not for all of those terminated. Certainly not Murphy. The current LG leaving, was a total waste of scholarship. We'll see if the other foreign frosh turns into a contributor. Holsinger got rid of 6 players to bring in one who averaged 5.3. That one was touted as the point guard, but ended up with 32 assists and 57 TO. The other two each scored 3 points apiece, for the entire season. Mr. Big Time Recruiter hasn't shown us much so far.

alabamagrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:
I wouldn't call them "transfers". They were terminated and found new programs. Did any of them go through the portal? Did any of them voluntarily leave the LG? Murphy would have been a contributor this past season. A good rebounder.

Huh, what's the big difference? One asked to remain as a walk-on and told "no".

mthoopsfan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Huh, what's the big difference? One asked to remain as a walk-on and told "no".

To terminate a contract means to end the contract prior to it being fully performed by the parties.

An athletic scholarship is basically a yearly contract because it expires at the end of each school year and must be renewed.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Sure, but most of the scholarship money that went down the drain was corrected by the coach not renewing.

Not for all of those terminated. Certainly not Murphy. The current LG leaving, was a total waste of scholarship. We'll see if the other foreign frosh turns into a contributor. Holsinger got rid of 6 players to bring in one who averaged 5.3. That one was touted as the point guard, but ended up with 32 assists and 57 TO. The other two each scored 3 points apiece, for the entire season. Mr. Big Time Recruiter hasn't shown us much so far.

If you want to consider Polymeni a scholarship down the drain, then I can consider the year Momberg was here a scholarship down the drain also. But I am realistic enough to know that not all scholarship athletes work out though, so I don't think of these scholarships as wasted, but more so the cost of doing business.

HelenaHandBasket said:
mthoopsfan said:

If you want to consider Polymeni a scholarship down the drain, then I can consider the year Momberg was here a scholarship down the drain also. But I am realistic enough to know that not all scholarship athletes work out though, so I don't think of these scholarships as wasted, but more so the cost of doing business.

I consider a scholarship down the drain as being a redshirt, or frosh who doesn't play, leaving the program. Not when a coach, who has never seen a kid play, fires a player. My jury is still out on Momberg. I still think she will be a good player. She was certainly better than 2 of the 3 players the new coach brought in. Momberg got way behind when she left school/basketball at the beginning of the season to go home for the mourning of a relative who had died. How would you rate Willa Albrecht? I thought she would be a contributor. The new coach kept her. Did she get hurt. She had almost no stats for the season.

How would you rate the new coach's 3 new recruits to the program for the year? Was it necessary to terminate 6 scholarship players, sight unseen to bring in 3 new players who scored a total average of 5.5 points for the season? Talk about wasting scholarships.

You guys who don't understand the game and get all excited about a coach who comes in and does very little, make me laugh. It's time for your guy to step it up. As I have said, my friends who knew him from Tech, were not overly impressed with him. We shall see.

I also think it's funny that when I comment on the new coach, all you can do is bring up Momberg. Is that really all you've got, or are you just prejudiced against Native Americans?

I don't think a scholarship is wasted when the player gets to play or practice with the team. The 5 starters can't practice well without 5 or more other players, plus, it's not uncommon to have a few major/minor injuries and some sickness -- as we saw this year.

Just one transfer so far for UM, whereas the average transfer rate per D1 team appears to be around three. It seems to be a popular thing to do in all college sports nowadays, so I'd say we're pretty fortunate.

• 13 on team this year
  • 5 graduating (??)
  • 1 entered transfer portal
  • 5 incoming players
  • Leaves us with 12 on the roster (if things stay constant)

Might see the coaches look for another in the portal.

GrizBaba said:
I don't think a scholarship is wasted when the player gets to play or practice with the team. The 5 starters can't practice well without 5 or more other players, plus, it's not uncommon to have a few major/minor injuries and some sickness -- as we saw this year.

Just one transfer so far for UM, whereas the average transfer rate per D1 team appears to be around three. It seems to be a popular thing to do in all college sports nowadays, so I'd say we're pretty fortunate.

• 13 on team this year
  • 5 graduating (??)
  • 5 incoming players

I don't disagree with what you said, except, again, I think a first year European player who scores only 3 points and then enters the transfer portal is probably a wasted scholarship. I'm assuming it was her decision to leave, but I don't know the circumstances. In any event, it's a small point.

What's your analysis of the 5 incoming recruits? I haven't been following. Thx.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizBaba said:

• 13 on team this year
  • 5 graduating (??)
  • 5 incoming players

I don't disagree with what you said, except, again, I think a first year European player who scores only 3 points and then enters the transfer portal is probably a wasted scholarship. I'm assuming it was her decision to leave, but I don't know the circumstances. In any event, it's a small point.

What's your analysis of the 5 incoming recruits? I haven't been following. Thx.

Personally, I'd look for their contribution in their sophomore year -- freshmen need to learn a lot and get accustomed to the new speed of collegiate play. That's not 100% true for all freshmen, and we have some pretty skilled young women coming in. I'm hoping that Keeli Burton-Oliver is healthy and is able to play -- she hasn't played a lot since high school, but has a lot of practice time with ASU and maybe Wash St. How much? I have no idea!
Abby Anderson is going to be difficult to replace defensively with her blocking skills. Keeli has potential, as well as Alex Pirog, and have some big shoes to fill. Lisa Kiefer might be a year away, but she could be a big surprise - heard she's a big shot-blocker at practice.
Sophia's command of the floor could be difficult to replace too, but there's good potential with the incoming guards, some of whom seem to be really good shooters. Hopefully they adjust well to the big jump in 3-pt distance, but a consistent mid-range shooter does wonders.
The freshmen from this year (upcoming sophomores) are going to be the ones to watch, as they're probably going to be the most improved.
Speculation is not my strong suit, so I hope I don't embarrass myself :oops:

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You MAY have a point,but give him a cpl years before judging. I am neutral on Holsinger. I'll give him a legit chance. I am convinced that foreign players are crucial for the Lady Griz' future, and he is making inroads. Food for thought:it's a good thing Trish Bader Binford wasn't judged by her first year at MSU. She went 3-23, and she's turned out alright.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I consider a scholarship down the drain as being a redshirt, or frosh who doesn't play, leaving the program. Not when a coach, who has never seen a kid play, fires a player. My jury is still out on Momberg. I still think she will be a good player. She was certainly better than 2 of the 3 players the new coach brought in. Momberg got way behind when she left school/basketball at the beginning of the season to go home for the mourning of a relative who had died. How would you rate Willa Albrecht? I thought she would be a contributor. The new coach kept her. Did she get hurt. She had almost no stats for the season.

How would you rate the new coach's 3 new recruits to the program for the year? Was it necessary to terminate 6 scholarship players, sight unseen to bring in 3 new players who scored a total average of 5.5 points for the season? Talk about wasting scholarships.

You guys who don't understand the game and get all excited about a coach who comes in and does very little, make me laugh. It's time for your guy to step it up. As I have said, my friends who knew him from Tech, were not overly impressed with him. We shall see.

I also think it's funny that when I comment on the new coach, all you can do is bring up Momberg. Is that really all you've got, or are you just prejudiced against Native Americans?

Of the 6 players from the 2020-21 season, two quit basketball all together. Dixon played in 2 games and scored zero points. Lauren Mills played in 7 games and never played over 6 minutes. Joelnell averaged 5 points on an NAIA team barely above .500. Karsen averaged 3 points and 2 rebounds on a 7-23 team. Where would you pictured her playing on this year's LG team? Obviously not taking Carmen or Abby's minutes, and imo not as versatile as Bartsch.

As far as Lamprini goes, she was a freshman guard on a team with 3 senior guards, a jr transfer, a sophomore who played as a freshman, and an incoming freshman who's the best shooter on the team. How can your jury still be out on Momberg when she played an entire season, yet call another player a waste of a scholarship who was playing behind a vastly more experienced backcourt?

How many scholarships per team.....isn't it 13? How big a "rotation" do most coaches play? 7, 8....maybe 9? Doesn't that make 6....5...or at least 4 "wasted" scholarships each year for pretty much every team in the country?

But those 7...8...or 9 rotation players can't even scrimmage without "the wastes" hanging around to practice all season. Weird.....

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I bring up Momberg because she is the reason that you have a stick up your arse and look for any way possible to tear down the current head coach of the team. As for the so-called wasted scholarship, a coach cuts what they believe is dead weight in an effort not to waste a scholarship. So I don't see a girl leaving any differently than the several that were cut when it comes to use of a scholarship. Not all scholarship athletes work out and it is just the cost of doing business.

Mousegriz said:
How many scholarships per team.....isn't it 13? How big a "rotation" do most coaches play? 7, 8....maybe 9? Doesn't that make 6....5...or at least 4 "wasted" scholarships each year for pretty much every team in the country?

But those 7...8...or 9 rotation players can't even scrimmage without "the wastes" hanging around to practice all season. Weird.....

Women is 15, men is 13.

Mthoops needs to move on from Molmberg, it really hurts the case he has been trying so desperately to make. Watched her play three or four times this year, she will struggle to play in Frontier. Her foot speed limits Western to a zone whenever she is in, she just can't guard anyone at this point(imagine her playing D1). Maybe she can improve but it will be a challenge, an no, it has nothing to do with her race.

wyomingriz said:
Mthoops needs to move on from Molmberg, it really hurts the case he has been trying so desperately to make. Watched her play three or four times this year, she will struggle to play in Frontier. Her foot speed limits Western to a zone whenever she is in, she just can't guard anyone at this point(imagine her playing D1). Maybe she can improve but it will be a challenge, an no, it has nothing to do with her race.

Mouse and HHH are the ones who need to move on regarding Momberg. They are the ones who keep bringing her up. I sometimes then defend her or provide info. Posters like you need to learn how to read, and recall what they read. Also, I have not been trying to make any case for her, other than I thought that she and another one or two, should not have lost their scholarships.

Momberg had value for her shooting including the 3, her ball handling (both hands), her passing, her court sense, her knowledge of the game, her ability to get to the hoop and score with either hand, and her ability to make teammates better. Not for her athletic ability. Her head coach, Petrino, told me that her defense was fine. You don't know what you're talking about.

Some like HHH and Mouse keep bringing her up. I rarely have brought her up since a month or so after she left. If a poster keeps belitting a Native American, who has been gone from the program for a year, then it makes me wonder if it's because of race. I put you in that same category. Are you racist? Five other players were terminated; why is Momberg the one who keeps getting mentioned? Go back and look at the recent posts of HHH and Mouse, and then note that I didn't bring up her name. They did.

mthoopsfan said:
wyomingriz said:

Mouse and HHH are the ones who need to move on regarding Momberg. They are the ones who keep bringing her up. I sometimes then defend her or provide info. Posters like you need to learn how to read, and recall what they read. Also, I have not been trying to make any case for her, other than I thought that she and another one or two, should not have lost their scholarships.

Momberg had value for her shooting including the 3, her ball handling (both hands), her passing, her court sense, her knowledge of the game, her ability to get to the hoop and score with either hand, and her ability to make teammates better. Not for her athletic ability. Her head coach, Petrino, told me that her defense was fine. You don't know what you're talking about.

Some like HHH and Mouse keep bringing her up. I rarely have brought her up since a month or so after she left. If a poster keeps belitting a Native American, who has been gone from the program for a year, then it makes me wonder if it's because of race. I put you in that same category. Are you racist? Five other players were terminated; why is Momberg the one who keeps getting mentioned? Go back and look at the recent posts of HHH and Mouse, and then note that I didn't bring up her name. They did.

Could you belittling the Greek girl be a race thing? I know that me bringing up Momberg was nothing more than she is the one that you had a biggest issue with originally. Bottom line is both are now gone, it happens, and unlike you, I don't have an issue with it. But you be you and keep digging for things in an attempt to make the hiring of the head coach seem like a bad thing.

HelenaHandBasket said:
mthoopsfan said:

Could you belittling the Greek girl be a race thing? I know that me bringing up Momberg was nothing more than she is the one that you had a biggest issue with originally. Bottom line is both are now gone, it happens, and unlike you, I don't have an issue with it. But you be you and keep digging for things in an attempt to make the hiring of the head coach seem like a bad thing.

I haven't belittled anyone, except for you. I haven't dug for anything. The Greek girl just left the program last week. You are bringing up Momberg a year after she left. Every time you mention Momberg from now on, I'm going to call you out for being racist. Because that's what it appears to be.

Zirg said:
mthoopsfan said:

You MAY have a point,but give him a cpl years before judging. I am neutral on Holsinger. I'll give him a legit chance. I am convinced that foreign players are crucial for the Lady Griz' future, and he is making inroads. Food for thought:it's a good thing Trish Bader Binford wasn't judged by her first year at MSU. She went 3-23, and she's turned out alright.

I'm not judging Holsinger by his first year. I'm just pointing out that he terminated 6 women for what appears to have been no good reason, in terms of bringing in new and immediate contributors, and his first season was fairly similar to the prior coach. All the posters/fans gushing over what a wonderful thing he had done and would do right away, were wrong.

Back