• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bring back the WAC in FCS?

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
The only interest I have in FCS football is the annual game with State College.

Some of us hope you lose interest in that game too.
Well, it’s the all knowing box! Enjoy watching the Griz destroy Dixie State and Northern Colorado.

What makes you so certain the Griz will “destroy” these teams?

I think part of your problem with scheduling is that you are living in the past. This is not the Griz of the mid 2000’s. Those days are long gone my friend and aren’t coming back anytime soon. Maybe you should recalibrate your thoughts on opponents to what the Griz are now.

dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:
I don’t think SJSU is moving anywhere. Even if NMSU doesn’t move either (even though I believe they should), we could have this:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
UNC
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
PSU

If SJSU and NMSU decided to move, one could go to each conference and we’d have nice 9-team conferences, leaving 8 conference games each year playing everyone in the conference.

No thanks - NAU doesn't want any part of that. Put CWU in with the WAC, NAU belongs with the other Mountain schools.
NAU, UNC, and Sac State are affiliate members of the WAC (baseball & swimming and diving for UNC, swimming and diving for NAU, and baseball for Sac State).

I do agree with the conference proposals, though (with I-80 basically being the boundary line).

Raider said:
Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
The only interest I have in FCS football is the annual game with State College.

Some of us hope you lose interest in that game too.
Well, it’s the all knowing box! Enjoy watching the Griz destroy Dixie State and Northern Colorado.

What makes you so certain the Griz will “destroy” these teams?

I think part of your problem with scheduling is that you are living in the past. This is not the Griz of the mid 2000’s. Those days are long gone my friend and aren’t coming back anytime soon. Maybe you should recalibrate your thoughts on opponents to what the Griz are now.
Interesting comments. Maybe you are right.

The biggest issue with the I-80 divider scenario is that that would require schools to either voluntarily leave the conference or be booted and frankly I don't see the Big Sky going out of their way to actively kick out members especially for D2 move ups. This is why the schools would have to voluntarily leave and the most likely candidates for that are:

Cal Poly: Football affiliate only
UC-Davis: Football Affiliate only
Sac State: Goes with other California schools
PSU: Play more on the West Coast/cut travel
EWU: Highly unlikely but if their financial woes continue to get worse it could force them to potentially explore other options, will still list with the Big sky as it is very unlikely.

In regards to the other potential WAC schools:

SJSU: Drop to play football more at their skill level in a California heavy conference.
CWU: D2 move up
DSU: D1 move in process, will take any Conference
UVU: Needs to start Football

The WAC would probably then also have to actively look around to see if they could potentially recruit a few more D2 schools into moving up or convince NMSU to move down and taking that into account the Conference's would look like this:

WAC:
CP, UCD, Sac State, PSU, CWU, DSU, UVU, SJSU

BIG SKY:
UM, MSU, ISU, Idaho, WSU, EWU, UNC, SUU, NAU

Would leave the Big Sky with nine of their full-time members (could add a few more basketball only schools if deemed necessary) giving each team 8 games leaving room for 3-4 OOC FCS/Payday games.

AllWeatherFan said:
But probably no need to invoke the Frontier Conference.

Since you mentioned the Frontier Conference, it may be a good idea. We are already moving toward Division2.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:
I don’t think SJSU is moving anywhere. Even if NMSU doesn’t move either (even though I believe they should), we could have this:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
UNC
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
PSU

If SJSU and NMSU decided to move, one could go to each conference and we’d have nice 9-team conferences, leaving 8 conference games each year playing everyone in the conference.

No thanks - NAU doesn't want any part of that. Put CWU in with the WAC, NAU belongs with the other Mountain schools.
NAU, UNC, and Sac State are affiliate members of the WAC (baseball & swimming and diving for UNC, swimming and diving for NAU, and baseball for Sac State).

I do agree with the conference proposals, though (with I-80 basically being the boundary line).

Only because the Big Sky doesn't offer those sports.

NAU has won the last 3 WAC S&D titles, and Sac State won baseball this year

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
UNC
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
PSU

Only because the Big Sky doesn't offer those sports.

NAU has won the last 3 WAC S&D titles, and Sac State won baseball this year

Someone get on the horn and have the Mountain West invite UM and MSU to the conference. We have more attendance than half the conference anyway.

Would make this thread moot.

**average MWC attendance = 23,862 in 2018.

1. Boise State, 33,068

2. Fresno State, 31,503

3. San Diego State, 31,439

4. Colorado State, 29,504

5. Air Force, 27,701

6. Hawaii, 25,682

7. Wyoming, 18,880

8. Utah State, 18,717

9. Nevada, 17,181

10. UNLV, 16,823

11. New Mexico, 16,587

12. San Jose State, 14,255

dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
PSU
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
UNC

Way, way too far south of I-80.

Yukon said:
Someone get on the horn and have the Mountain West invite UM and MSU to the conference. We have more attendance than half the conference anyway.

I would completely support this decision and would love to see Montana and Montana State play in the Mountain West. Conference could look like this:

MW MOUNTAIN DIVISION:

Montana, MSU, WYO, CSU, AF, UNM, USU

MW WEST DIVISION:

Nevada, UNLV, SJSU, FSU, SDSU, Hawaii, BSU

UTGrizFan said:
Yukon said:

I would completely support this decision and would love to see Montana and Montana State play in the Mountain West. Conference could look like this:

MW MOUNTAIN DIVISION:

MW WEST DIVISION:

This would be just wonderful! Think of all the games we could see close to the Metro Denver area again. The negative would be missing out on all the games played in a soccer stadium like Portland or getting to go to San Luis Obispo or the state capital of Cali...or Flagstaff...

Leaving schools located in Pocatello, Moscow or Ogden behind doesn't make much sense though, even though I recently read an article that said 400k people moved to Denver last year; Salt Lake and southern Idaho are also experiencing tremendous growth, so those statisticians projecting growth and the need for new and improved facilities for the mass of humanity moving to certain areas of the country are pretty accurate right now.

At the Rockies-Orioles game Saturday, the announcer spoke of the need for a new baseball stadium several times as Coors Field is 24 years old and is pretty run down and just has a funky smell to it.

But...let's face it. Montana's flagship universities belong at the FCS level. That's all we ought to aspire to in actuality... :?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
...Salt Lake and southern Idaho are also experiencing tremendous growth...

What article was that? Salt Lake is believable, but southern Idaho, (excluding the Boise area)?

tourist said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
...Salt Lake and southern Idaho are also experiencing tremendous growth...
What article was that? Salt Lake is believable, but southern Idaho, (excluding the Boise area)?
Census Bureau, December 2018, among others:
https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2018/12/nevada-idaho-fastest-growing-states.html

The top five fastest-growing states between July 1, 2017, and July 1, 2018, were all in the South and West, according to U.S. Census Bureau population estimates released today.

Nevada and Idaho topped the list with a growth of about 2.1 percent each in the last year alone. They were followed by Utah (1.9 percent), Arizona (1.7 percent), Florida and Washington (1.5 percent each).

The population growth in these states far outpaced the 0.6 percent growth of the United States.
Besides the Boise Valley, Twin Falls and the counties around it have grown a bunch, as has Bonneville County (Idaho Falls). Don't know about Pokie.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UTGrizFan said:
Yukon said:

MW MOUNTAIN DIVISION:

MW WEST DIVISION:

This would be just wonderful! Think of all the games we could see close to the Metro Denver area again. The negative would be missing out on all the games played in a soccer stadium like Portland or getting to go to San Luis Obispo or the state capital of Cali...or Flagstaff...

Leaving schools located in Pocatello, Moscow or Ogden behind doesn't make much sense though, even though I recently read an article that said 400k people moved to Denver last year; Salt Lake and southern Idaho are also experiencing tremendous growth, so those statisticians projecting growth and the need for new and improved facilities for the mass of humanity moving to certain areas of the country are pretty accurate right now.

At the Rockies-Orioles game Saturday, the announcer spoke of the need for a new baseball stadium several times as Coors Field is 24 years old and is pretty run down and just has a funky smell to it.

But...let's face it. Montana's flagship universities belong at the FCS level. That's all we ought to aspire to in actuality... :?

Not the topic but how bad are we at building things when a 24 year old building can't do it's job anymore? The Romans got 400 years out of the Coliseum and I guarantee they had to deal with a lot funkier smells. Also that funky smell in Denver has only been around since the passing of Amendment 64. ;)

UTGrizFan said:
Yukon said:

MW MOUNTAIN DIVISION:

MW WEST DIVISION:

Dreamers

kemajic said:
dbackjon said:
AZGrizFan said:

WAC:
Cal Poly
UC Davis
PSU
Sac State
UVU
Dixie State
SUU
NAU

BSC:
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
EWU
CWU
WSU
ISU
UNC

Way, way too far south of I-80.

Hasn't been an issue for almost 50 years...

SaskGriz said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UTGrizFan said:
Yukon said:

MW MOUNTAIN DIVISION:

MW WEST DIVISION:

Not the topic but how bad are we at building things when a 24 year old building can't do it's job anymore? The Romans got 400 years out of the Coliseum and I guarantee they had to deal with a lot funkier smells. Also that funky smell in Denver has only been around since the passing of Amendment 64. ;)

Atlanta has already imploded the Georgia Dome and replaced it with Mercedes Benz Stadium. The Dome opened in 96 just prior to the Olympics...plus they moved from the Ted to Cobb County for the Braves. We can't even afford a few gallons of paint for the bleachers in one of our Flagship's stadium. We be poor...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SaskGriz said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
UTGrizFan said:

MW MOUNTAIN DIVISION:

MW WEST DIVISION:

Atlanta has already imploded the Georgia Dome and replaced it with Mercedes Benz Stadium. The Dome opened in 96 just prior to the Olympics...plus they moved from the Ted to Cobb County for the Braves. We can't even afford a few gallons of paint for the bleachers in one of our Flagship's stadium. We be poor...

Coors Field is the third oldest ballpark in the National League. The owners will mount a push to replace it as the Mile High tax goes toward expiration by arguing we should just extend the existing tax ("you won't even feel it")

Latest posts

Back