• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cats Losing Players

'68griz said:
Drop-downs often come with a sense of entitlement. That's the main reason I am often wary of them. Some, of course, work out wonderfully (JD Quinn, Craig Ochs, etc.), but they tend to be the exception, not the rule.

Probably true to some extent, but do you have examples of drop downs with a sense of entitlement who came to UM?

'68griz said:
Drop-downs often come with a sense of entitlement. That's the main reason I am often wary of them. Some, of course, work out wonderfully (JD Quinn, Craig Ochs, etc.), but they tend to be the exception, not the rule.

I believe if you do a reasonable analysis of the success of transfers at UM you will find Quinn and Ochs are not exceptions; many of our very best players have been transfers.

VimSince03 said:
HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:
Players leave. No different for any team. I would say we will be victim of it too but yeah freshman WRs not a huge loss for next year but in the future. Until their offense develops more of a passing game it might be tough to keep WRs like this.

Agree, we all have our ups and downs with players coming in and leaving, but this seems like a lot of for a given season.

Just from their last recruiting class, they lost:

- Duru (freshman WR transferring out)
- Metcalf (freshman WR transferring out)
- Barkley (SEC transfer RB left)
- Sparaco (Colorado transfer LB/Buck left)
- Natee (Indiana transfer FB retired injury)

If you also recall Malik Putney never showing up as well as Sherrod White, that class literally lost all of its highly touted star power. Something seems amiss to me.

Don't forget Donny Long, 3-star OL recruit who joined the team for summer workouts and left within a week due to being homesick. I understand the point your trying to make with the freshman but Natee really shouldn't be included in this group as he retired due to injury. Also, Barkley and Sparaco shouldn't be included because of my clear explanation above. They got beat out and did not respond well. They believed their status you reference (SEC/Colorado) should have given them more clout in terms of playing time. It did not. Again, this is the risk you take with drop-down transfers and its on the coaches to gauge the personalities of these players.

Duru, Metcalf, Long, Putney, RB Isaiah Ifanse, and DT James Williams all came on their official visit a week prior to signing day as they were all on the fence with their respective offers. Jump forward to almost exactly one year later and only two are left on the team. Recruiting is not a perfect system and kid's personalities can change as they grow/adapt during their first year in college. Choate & Co. will have to do a better job of getting kids that fit his mindset.

Also, these kids can transfer for a variety of reasons, not just football. Climate, school fit, culture, etc.
You are right, Vim, about the transfer portal is going to have a huge effect on college football. It is making it too easy for young kids to make a move the first time they get unhappy about something. I think a lot of recruits nowadays come in with unreal expectations. Now, the transfer portal makes it easy to go somewhere else. I don't think it is a good thing for these kids or college football.

bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:
HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:
Players leave. No different for any team. I would say we will be victim of it too but yeah freshman WRs not a huge loss for next year but in the future. Until their offense develops more of a passing game it might be tough to keep WRs like this.

Agree, we all have our ups and downs with players coming in and leaving, but this seems like a lot of for a given season.

If you also recall Malik Putney never showing up as well as Sherrod White, that class literally lost all of its highly touted star power. Something seems amiss to me.

Don't forget Donny Long, 3-star OL recruit who joined the team for summer workouts and left within a week due to being homesick. I understand the point your trying to make with the freshman but Natee really shouldn't be included in this group as he retired due to injury. Also, Barkley and Sparaco shouldn't be included because of my clear explanation above. They got beat out and did not respond well. They believed their status you reference (SEC/Colorado) should have given them more clout in terms of playing time. It did not. Again, this is the risk you take with drop-down transfers and its on the coaches to gauge the personalities of these players.

Duru, Metcalf, Long, Putney, RB Isaiah Ifanse, and DT James Williams all came on their official visit a week prior to signing day as they were all on the fence with their respective offers. Jump forward to almost exactly one year later and only two are left on the team. Recruiting is not a perfect system and kid's personalities can change as they grow/adapt during their first year in college. Choate & Co. will have to do a better job of getting kids that fit his mindset.

Also, these kids can transfer for a variety of reasons, not just football. Climate, school fit, culture, etc.
You are right, Vim, about the transfer portal is going to have a huge effect on college football. It is making it too easy for young kids to make a move the first time they get unhappy about something. I think a lot of recruits nowadays come in with unreal expectations. Now, the transfer portal makes it easy to go somewhere else. I don't think it is a good thing for these kids or college football.

Well...I think in some past cases, the old format held kids hostage in many ways. The 1st year of college isn't easy and a lot changes. Also, if a kid gets recruited by a different coach then a new coach comes on board within a year, he may have a completely different system that doesn't fit the player. That player should be allowed to transfer immediately if he so chooses. That is a major positive in my opinion.

VimSince03 said:
bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:
HookedonGriz said:

Well...I think in some past cases, the old format held kids hostage in many ways. The 1st year of college isn't easy and a lot changes. Also, if a kid gets recruited by a different coach then a new coach comes on board within a year, he may have a completely different system that doesn't fit the player. That player should be allowed to transfer immediately if he so chooses. That is a major positive in my opinion.

I agree with you that there are situations like in a coaching change where it would be a positive. However, this new transfer portal goes way beyond those kind of situations. It will take a few years to really see if it is good or bad.

bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:
bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:

I agree with you that there are situations like in a coaching change where it would be a positive. However, this new transfer portal goes way beyond those kind of situations. It will take a few years to really see if it is good or bad.

Egriz... a place where State Ag fans come to talk with each other.

bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:
bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:

If I were a bobcat fan (after I swallowed my own puke), I would probably take the same unreasonable position as you. I would want my student-athletes to be like indentured servants. God knows after the kid actually gets there and the bamboozle wears off, we can’t be letting them get away Scott-free. They wouldn’t be able to field a team. I can see why cat fans don’t like this new rule

"If I were a bobcat fan (after I swallowed my own puke), I would probably take the same unreasonable position as you. I would want my student-athletes to be like indentured servants. God knows after the kid actually gets there and the bamboozle wears off, we can’t be letting them get away Scott-free. They wouldn’t be able to field a team. I can see why cat fans don’t like this new rule"

Wouldn't that be Choke-free?

PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:

Probably true to some extent, but do you have examples of drop downs with a sense of entitlement who came to UM?

I don't have any names, because I am lousy at remembering name. However, I know there have certainly been kids who came here from "big" schools and assumed they would be starters - and weren't.

'68griz said:
PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:

I don't have any names, because I am lousy at remembering name. However, I know there have certainly been kids who came here from "big" schools and assumed they would be starters - and weren't.

Do you remember what positions these entitled drop downs played?
Do you remember what year(s) the entitled drop downs played?

bgbigdog said:
bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:
bigsky33 said:

Stay out of it Bgbigdog, this is a Cat post....

Bear Spray said:
bgbigdog said:
bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:

Yeah, we can tell from the smell.

Htowngriz said:
Bear Spray said:
bgbigdog said:
bigsky33 said:

Naw, you can tell from the OP! :coffee:

What?, oh that doesn't fit into your alternate facts?

Catsrback76 said:
Htowngriz said:
Bear Spray said:
bgbigdog said:

Naw, you can tell from the OP! :coffee:

What?, oh that doesn't fit into your alternate facts?

Do you have any theories regarding why so many Bobcat players left in such a short amount of time? Mine is that Choach is definitely a great leader and team manager with a proprietary vision for the future (great offense, strong defense, great special teams), and some players just couldn't take it.

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Heard they were following Gregorak.

To the unemployment line?
[/quoteSmall little place east of Jordan called Purgatory, just west of Perdition. TG plans on only being there long enough to rebuild some bridges, somewhere. Maybe he needs some help.

CDAGRIZ said:
'68griz said:
PlayerRep said:
'68griz said:

Do you remember what positions these entitled drop downs played?
Do you remember what year(s) the entitled drop downs played?

Every kid who comes here should expect to play or they shouldn’t be playing football. I’m sure most every drop down expects to start. I can’t think of one though that left because they weren’t starting right away although most did start. I’m pretty sure though they still had to earn that starting job in fall camp.

Back