• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Cats Losing Players

Catsrback76 said:
Htowngriz said:
Bear Spray said:
bgbigdog said:
Egriz... a place where State Ag fans come to talk with each other.

Stay out of it Bgbigdog, this is a Cat post....

Yeah, we can tell from the smell.

Naw, you can tell from the OP! :coffee:

What?, oh that doesn't fit into your alternate facts?
What the hell are you talking about? I couldn't care any less about Bozeman State's personnel moves. I'm making fun of the fact that you guys make Pavlov's dog look like a slacker.

Good post on BN about Kramer, who didn't recruit out of state high schooler WRs because they all thought they should be playing in the NFL, so he stuck with transfers.

bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:
HookedonGriz said:
dayday said:
Players leave. No different for any team. I would say we will be victim of it too but yeah freshman WRs not a huge loss for next year but in the future. Until their offense develops more of a passing game it might be tough to keep WRs like this.

Agree, we all have our ups and downs with players coming in and leaving, but this seems like a lot of for a given season.

Just from their last recruiting class, they lost:

- Duru (freshman WR transferring out)
- Metcalf (freshman WR transferring out)
- Barkley (SEC transfer RB left)
- Sparaco (Colorado transfer LB/Buck left)
- Natee (Indiana transfer FB retired injury)

If you also recall Malik Putney never showing up as well as Sherrod White, that class literally lost all of its highly touted star power. Something seems amiss to me.

Don't forget Donny Long, 3-star OL recruit who joined the team for summer workouts and left within a week due to being homesick. I understand the point your trying to make with the freshman but Natee really shouldn't be included in this group as he retired due to injury. Also, Barkley and Sparaco shouldn't be included because of my clear explanation above. They got beat out and did not respond well. They believed their status you reference (SEC/Colorado) should have given them more clout in terms of playing time. It did not. Again, this is the risk you take with drop-down transfers and its on the coaches to gauge the personalities of these players.

Duru, Metcalf, Long, Putney, RB Isaiah Ifanse, and DT James Williams all came on their official visit a week prior to signing day as they were all on the fence with their respective offers. Jump forward to almost exactly one year later and only two are left on the team. Recruiting is not a perfect system and kid's personalities can change as they grow/adapt during their first year in college. Choate & Co. will have to do a better job of getting kids that fit his mindset.

Also, these kids can transfer for a variety of reasons, not just football. Climate, school fit, culture, etc.
You are right, Vim, about the transfer portal is going to have a huge effect on college football. It is making it too easy for young kids to make a move the first time they get unhappy about something. I think a lot of recruits nowadays come in with unreal expectations. Now, the transfer portal makes it easy to go somewhere else. I don't think it is a good thing for these kids or college football.

Unrealistic expectations? We’re you ever recruited? Coaches will tell a kid anything to get them! You know for how long kids that have no real shot have been promised starting spots or chances at spots when coaches knew they were 3-4th string players? There has never been accountability for coaches and players were bound by agreements and punished a year to transfer. Now they still get punished but at least they can see the interest from the other schools not really sure what it hurts? What it helps schools see all the athletes that are unhappy with their current spot? I guess I don’t see the downside

mtgrizfankb said:
bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Agree, we all have our ups and downs with players coming in and leaving, but this seems like a lot of for a given season.

If you also recall Malik Putney never showing up as well as Sherrod White, that class literally lost all of its highly touted star power. Something seems amiss to me.

Don't forget Donny Long, 3-star OL recruit who joined the team for summer workouts and left within a week due to being homesick. I understand the point your trying to make with the freshman but Natee really shouldn't be included in this group as he retired due to injury. Also, Barkley and Sparaco shouldn't be included because of my clear explanation above. They got beat out and did not respond well. They believed their status you reference (SEC/Colorado) should have given them more clout in terms of playing time. It did not. Again, this is the risk you take with drop-down transfers and its on the coaches to gauge the personalities of these players.

Duru, Metcalf, Long, Putney, RB Isaiah Ifanse, and DT James Williams all came on their official visit a week prior to signing day as they were all on the fence with their respective offers. Jump forward to almost exactly one year later and only two are left on the team. Recruiting is not a perfect system and kid's personalities can change as they grow/adapt during their first year in college. Choate & Co. will have to do a better job of getting kids that fit his mindset.

Also, these kids can transfer for a variety of reasons, not just football. Climate, school fit, culture, etc.
You are right, Vim, about the transfer portal is going to have a huge effect on college football. It is making it too easy for young kids to make a move the first time they get unhappy about something. I think a lot of recruits nowadays come in with unreal expectations. Now, the transfer portal makes it easy to go somewhere else. I don't think it is a good thing for these kids or college football.

Unrealistic expectations? We’re you ever recruited? Coaches will tell a kid anything to get them! You know for how long kids that have no real shot have been promised starting spots or chances at spots when coaches knew they were 3-4th string players? There has never been accountability for coaches and players were bound by agreements and punished a year to transfer. Now they still get punished but at least they can see the interest from the other schools not really sure what it hurts? What it helps schools see all the athletes that are unhappy with their current spot? I guess I don’t see the downside

While I agree coaches will tell kids anything, why on earth would a coach EVER recruit a kid they KNEW was going to be a 3rd/4th string player? Why would a coach deliberately lie to a kid just to put bodies on the sidelines?

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
'68griz said:
PlayerRep said:
Probably true to some extent, but do you have examples of drop downs with a sense of entitlement who came to UM?

I don't have any names, because I am lousy at remembering name. However, I know there have certainly been kids who came here from "big" schools and assumed they would be starters - and weren't.

Do you remember what positions these entitled drop downs played?
Do you remember what year(s) the entitled drop downs played?

Every kid who comes here should expect to play or they shouldn’t be playing football. I’m sure most every drop down expects to start. I can’t think of one though that left because they weren’t starting right away although most did start. I’m pretty sure though they still had to earn that starting job in fall camp.

100%. I'm just trying to figure out which drop downs '68 says came with a "sense of entitlement". According to '68, drop downs often come with a sense of entitlement, so, if names cannot be remembered, maybe positions and/or years will aid in identifying the often entitled players.

CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
'68griz said:
I don't have any names, because I am lousy at remembering name. However, I know there have certainly been kids who came here from "big" schools and assumed they would be starters - and weren't.

Every kid who comes here should expect to play or they shouldn’t be playing football. I’m sure most every drop down expects to start. I can’t think of one though that left because they weren’t starting right away although most did start. I’m pretty sure though they still had to earn that starting job in fall camp.

100%. I'm just trying to figure out which drop downs '68 says came with a "sense of entitlement". According to '68, drop downs often come with a sense of entitlement, so, if names cannot be remembered, maybe positions and/or years will aid in identifying the often entitled players.

Kessman, if you really want to dig.

Say what you want. The transfer portal will have a big effect on college football, including UM. We will not know if it is a positive or negative for a few years. I believe it will be a negative.

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:

What's your basis for saying Kessman was entitled?

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:

What's your basis for saying Kessman was entitled?

Pure conjecture.

mtgrizfankb said:
bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:
HookedonGriz said:

why on earth would a coach go after any kid they know will be 3-4 string? Only reason I can see if parents are loaded and will donate huge sums of money to the school......unlikely at best. I doubt a coach that is regularly recruiting 3-4 string players won't be coaching long.

retiredpopo said:
mtgrizfankb said:
bigsky33 said:
VimSince03 said:

why on earth would a coach go after any kid they know will be 3-4 string? Only reason I can see if parents are loaded and will donate huge sums of money to the school......unlikely at best. I doubt a coach that is regularly recruiting 3-4 string players won't be coaching long.

Good points.

HookedonGriz said:
Saw on Twitter that a couple of big WR recruits the Cats were excited about last year both announced they are transferring, Metcalf and Duru. Add Sparaco, their Colorado Transfer, to that list as well as he announced his transfer too. They also lost their SEC transfer Maleek Barley who they seemed ecstatic about when they landed him last year. That seems like a lot of talent out the door in a short amount of time.

That has been this guy's M.O the entire time he has played football. He transferred high schools in Colorado like 3 times and now in college twice. He seems pretty entitled.

I thought I recognized that guy at the WalMart parking lot entrance holding some goddamned cardboard sign. :eek:

BigSkyBears said:
HookedonGriz said:
Saw on Twitter that a couple of big WR recruits the Cats were excited about last year both announced they are transferring, Metcalf and Duru. Add Sparaco, their Colorado Transfer, to that list as well as he announced his transfer too. They also lost their SEC transfer Maleek Barley who they seemed ecstatic about when they landed him last year. That seems like a lot of talent out the door in a short amount of time.

That has been this guy's M.O the entire time he has played football. He transferred high schools in Colorado like 3 times and now in college twice. He seems pretty entitled.

But....but....
Kitten fans have redefined the word "entitled" to not include any of their spoiled "grass is greener" transfers that have left the prestigious kitten program for "greener grass" again.....

So do I have this right? The cats have lost 10 players from the last recruiting class? And wasn’t that the class the cats were purring about? Like it was ranked top 5 in all FCS or something? Or was it the prior class that was ranked so high?
If so, holy crap. That is alarming and I would be concerned. When almost half of the school’s “greatest” class bails, something is wrong...

I think the biggest news here is that the Cats had wide receivers on their roster! After watching them play who would have known!

garizzalies said:
So do I have this right? The cats have lost 10 players from the last recruiting class? And wasn’t that the class the cats were purring about? Like it was ranked top 5 in all FCS or something? Or was it the prior class that was ranked so high?
If so, holy crap. That is alarming and I would be concerned. When almost half of the school’s “greatest” class bails, something is wrong...

Even with the losses, it is still a very good recruiting class. Without the losses it would have been a monster recruiting class. When you look at the players that left and the reasons, it doesn't seem to indicate any big problem. I think this is an indication that the transfer portal going forward is going to have a huge effect on college football and maybe more so on the FCS.

garizzalies said:

That recruiting class was so good that some players must have left for better programs, or programs with a qb who could throw. Ha.

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:

That recruiting class was so good that some players must have left for better programs, or programs with a qb who could throw. Ha.

You are right on the two WRs that left. It had to be really frustrating last season for the WRs. The transfer portal makes it very easy now for any player to transfer. As I mentioned previously, it is going to have a huge impact on college football and probably more so the FCS.

Back