• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Choate to Texas Now?

For those youngsters unfamiliar with the third most underrated butt-rockers from Champaign, Illinois, I give you the below gem.
Choach has been playing this on loop all weekend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54OtWleMQeQ

garizzalies said:
Just watched Choaches’es farewell zoom call. Like all his pressers, it was hilarious, entertaining, and cringy all at once. He looked giddy and not down at all.

He said the decision to leave MSMoo was a “slam dunk.” And he quoted his favorite band—REO Speedwagon—“I think it’s time for me to fly!”

He was essentially asked what was his main takeaway from being the HC in Blowsmen, and he said wherever he goes he will “be able to say [he] never lost to Montana.” Thus, his main takeaway had more to do with UM than MSMoo.

He was asked about “unfinished business” and he vaguely referenced some things “on the horizon” with the NCAA and BSC. Sounded super suspicious to me.

Only got one tough question and he refused to address it—the admitted cronyism between him and the UW DC.
Not sure what the fascination about his leaving and dissing on him is serving. He's going to double his salary, probably raise his coaching profile and have less responsibility. Did you rip on Bobby when he did it jumped ship? This is a business and a career for these guys.

indian-outlaw said:
garizzalies said:
Just watched Choaches’es farewell zoom call. Like all his pressers, it was hilarious, entertaining, and cringy all at once. He looked giddy and not down at all.

He said the decision to leave MSMoo was a “slam dunk.” And he quoted his favorite band—REO Speedwagon—“I think it’s time for me to fly!”

He was essentially asked what was his main takeaway from being the HC in Blowsmen, and he said wherever he goes he will “be able to say [he] never lost to Montana.” Thus, his main takeaway had more to do with UM than MSMoo.

He was asked about “unfinished business” and he vaguely referenced some things “on the horizon” with the NCAA and BSC. Sounded super suspicious to me.

Only got one tough question and he refused to address it—the admitted cronyism between him and the UW DC.
Not sure what the fascination about his leaving and dissing on him is serving. He's going to double his salary, probably raise his coaching profile and have less responsibility. Did you rip on Bobby when he did it jumped ship? This is a business and a career for these guys.

Is legitimate criticism "dissing" someone? Choate was a decent coach at MSU but other than beating the Griz what did he accomplish? He only had one really good year, and while Bobcat fans use 2019 as proof of being on an upward trajectory and predictive of future success, there's no guarantee that 2020 would have panned out the same way, especially without Troy Andersen. (And I contend that the 2020 Griz would have beaten the Cats in Missoula so he wouldn't even have had that to hang his hat on.)

I wasn't shocked that he would leave, and if he had gotten the HC gig at Boise it would have obviously been a huge step up, but going back to a position coach job was puzzling to me. But then I realized - maybe it was all about the money. Or maybe he thinks it's a better path to an FBS HC position. Or maybe he realized that 2019 was going to be his best year at MSU. Or maybe all of the above, which actually makes the most sense in the end.

garizzalies said:

Lol. This is certainly an interesting interpretation of the press conference.

indian-outlaw said:
garizzalies said:

Yeah, we shouldn’t discuss our main rival’s coach bailing, after bailing and failing two weeks ago. Grow up, Peter Pan.

Da Boyz Mom said:
indian-outlaw said:

Is legitimate criticism "dissing" someone? Choate was a decent coach at MSU but other than beating the Griz what did he accomplish? He only had one really good year, and while Bobcat fans use 2019 as proof of being on an upward trajectory and predictive of future success, there's no guarantee that 2020 would have panned out the same way, especially without Troy Andersen. (And I contend that the 2020 Griz would have beaten the Cats in Missoula so he wouldn't even have had that to hang his hat on.)

I wasn't shocked that he would leave, and if he had gotten the HC gig at Boise it would have been an obvious step up, but going back to a position coach job was puzzling to me. But then I realized - maybe it was all about the money. Maybe he thinks it's a better path to an FBS HC position. Or maybe he realized that 2019 was going to be his best year at MSU. Or maybe all of the above, which actually makes the most sense in the end.
I don't think the team he built there would have not been successful. Troy has been injured most of the time and did you forget how our game went against them without Troy?
It's obviously not all about the money. He took a huge pay cut to be the bobcats hc, he made literally half of what he made at washington. I just find it amusing to hear you guys ripping on him for making a move.

cclarkblues said:
Perhaps CDA's ability to live in his head caused Choach's exodus...
Yeah that it. Definitely. He was always really distracted on QBC calls, and would often stop midsentence because of a notification of CDA posting on egriz. At least twice per meeting he would just blurt out: "THAT GOSH DARN CDA!!".

ABQCat said:
cclarkblues said:
Perhaps CDA's ability to live in his head caused Choach's exodus...
Yeah that it. Definitely. He was always really distracted on QBC calls, and would often stop midsentence because of a notification of CDA posting on egriz. At least twice per meeting he would just blurt out: "THAT GOSH DARN CDA!!".

#legacy

wbtfg said:
garizzalies said:

Interpretation? I summarized it. Accurately. And you acknowledged that by not disputing any of my facts. Thanks for the affirmation.

garizzalies said:
wbtfg said:
Interpretation? I summarized it. Accurately. And you acknowledged that by not disputing any of my facts. Thanks for the affirmation.

I haven’t watched it, nor do I plan to. Did he seriously quote REO Speedwagon? That’s Toolio Iglesias behavior. .500 coach.

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:

I haven’t watched it, nor do I plan to. Did he seriously quote REO Speedwagon? That’s Toolio Iglesias behavior. .500 coach.

Probably lucky he didn't quote The Starland Vocal Band.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:

:lol: Very true. Dude was obviously all horned up his entire time at Bozeman. Didn’t even try to hide it, either.

The facts in my summary are 100% correct including the REO cite. I would never joke about Speedwagon.

Here’s some more truth I forgot: after saying he was abandoning his post and leaving his kid behind on the roster, he admitted his wife is sick of him picking up and leaving town “every 5 years”—something I’ve pointed out for weeks as a characteristic of every great grifter. After he said that, I thought for sure he would cite The Boss—“Baby we were born to ruuuuuun!”

garizzalies said:
The facts in my summary are 100% correct including the REO cite. I would never joke about Speedwagon.

Here’s some more truth I forgot: after saying he was abandoning his post and leaving his kid behind on the roster, he admitted his wife is sick of him picking up and leaving town “every 5 years”—something I’ve pointed out for weeks as a characteristic of every great grifter. After he said that, I thought for sure he would cite The Boss—“Baby we were born to ruuuuuun!”

Griz Nation, and, I assume, the nation as a whole, respects and admires the fact that you didn’t joke about REO Speedwagon. You don’t joke about Speedwagon. Everybody knows.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Or the 1910 Fruitgum Company.

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:

Griz Nation, and, I assume, the nation as a whole, respects and admires the fact that you didn’t joke about REO Speedwagon. You don’t joke about Speedwagon. Everybody knows.
Heard it from a friend whoooooo heard it from friend whoooo heard it from another choate’s been leaving town.........talk is cheap when the story is gooooood....and the tales grow taller on down the line .........I don’t believe it not for a minute.....but I’m telling you Bob that I don’t think it’s true Bob......you’re under the gun so you take it on the run. Lol

Da Boyz Mom said:
indian-outlaw said:

I wasn't shocked that he would leave, and if he had gotten the HC gig at Boise it would have obviously been a huge step up, but going back to a position coach job was puzzling to me. But then I realized - maybe it was all about the money. Or maybe he thinks it's a better path to an FBS HC position. Or maybe he realized that 2019 was going to be his best year at MSU. Or maybe all of the above, which actually makes the most sense in the end.

Throttled last year without the Cats having Troy and you contend 2020 would've been a W without Troy again? I'm not conjecturing who would or wouldn't win in 2020 but to be sure of a W in Missoula?

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:

No you do not joke about Speedwagon. That’s why it was so surprising to see Choach make the reference in his final press conference as a Bubcat, especially knowing how much of a fan he is. Normally, I would just chalk something like that up to nervous energy, but Choach seemed giddy and his filter was turned completely off, or maybe a little melancholy, like a candle in the window on a cold, dark winter’s night.

Latest posts

Back