• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Choate to Texas Now?

I still think there are some issues with the NCAA on the horizon. He may have known feces was about to hit the fan as did Kane and both jumped ship before getting spattered.
If that's the case he should be a Gordon Lightfoot fan streaming The Edmond Fitzgerald.
My only regret is that I was so looking forward to the Griz kicking their ass in the next Griz Cat game.

My view is that this is the main why Choate left to be a top assistant at Texas. In interviewing at Boise St, even though he was a finalist (my word), he realized that he is not viewed as having the "tickets" and experience, yet, to jump to a top level FBS head coach position. This makes sense to me. I was surprised he was a finalist at Boise St., quite frankly.

"After being passed up at Boise State, Choate said it became clear he would have to take a step back in terms of the hierarchy of a team at an FBS program in order to become a head coach at that level."

66volvo said:
With a record of around 28-22, you will never get to the promised land.

This is what I thought all along. While I always thought Choate was probably going to be good, probably would do well at MSU, and had done quite well, I was surprised that he was a contender for Boise St. The overall record at MSU, while good for MSU and going in the right direction, was not exactly what I'd want in a coach if I were on the Boise St hiring committee. Lesser or struggling FBS schools, yes. Choate obviously had made good impressions on people at Boise St, UW and elsewhere. While not close to a slam dunk, I could see him using the Texas opportunity to propel his way forward to where he wants to be. Had I not realized that he is liked by many (as a result of his Boise interviewing), I would not have thought that.

Good luck to him. Texas should be a great place to coach, and he's with a top level coach and group. I liked him when I met and was around him. His wife is great. His kids are nice. As I may have said before, Gregorak introduced him to my wife and me, and we had his wife and kids, and Lisa Collins (who is also very nice) over to our lake house a few years ago (during a Cat tourney in Polson).

indian-outlaw said:
garizzalies said:
Just watched Choaches’es farewell zoom call. Like all his pressers, it was hilarious, entertaining, and cringy all at once. He looked giddy and not down at all.

He said the decision to leave MSMoo was a “slam dunk.” And he quoted his favorite band—REO Speedwagon—“I think it’s time for me to fly!”

He was essentially asked what was his main takeaway from being the HC in Blowsmen, and he said wherever he goes he will “be able to say [he] never lost to Montana.” Thus, his main takeaway had more to do with UM than MSMoo.

He was asked about “unfinished business” and he vaguely referenced some things “on the horizon” with the NCAA and BSC. Sounded super suspicious to me.

Only got one tough question and he refused to address it—the admitted cronyism between him and the UW DC.
Not sure what the fascination about his leaving and dissing on him is serving. He's going to double his salary, probably raise his coaching profile and have less responsibility. Did you rip on Bobby when he did it jumped ship? This is a business and a career for these guys.
I see the always lovely Mrs. Da Boys already put you in your place so I will keep this short. Do you believe any facts I posted in this thread are incorrect? Can you point out a single correction? No?

And I meant, every word I said. When I said he’s a grifter, I meant he’s a grifter forever. And I’m gonna keep on “dissing” too. ‘Cuz it’s the only thing I wanna do today

garizzalies said:
indian-outlaw said:
Not sure what the fascination about his leaving and dissing on him is serving. He's going to double his salary, probably raise his coaching profile and have less responsibility. Did you rip on Bobby when he did it jumped ship? This is a business and a career for these guys.
I see the always lovely Mrs. Da Boys already put you in your place so I will keep this short. Do you believe any facts I posted in this thread are incorrect? Can you point out a single correction? No?

And I meant, every word I said. When I said he’s a grifter, I meant he’s a grifter forever. And I’m gonna keep on “dissing” too. ‘Cuz it’s the only thing I wanna do today

It's time to roll with the changes, start riding the storm out. While cats fans cried don't let him go, after the Boise interview choate's inner circle advised him to keep pushin'. that's why Ioane decided to take it on the run.

And now I'm spent.

It is indeed fitting that the horniest coach in CFB history is going to the ‘Horns. Godspeed, Choach. Remember, those MILFs in the west hills of Austin are a bit more sophisticated than those in the GV. You can’t just tempt them with Mountain Dew and menthols like you’re used to.

CDAGRIZ said:
It is indeed fitting that the horniest coach in CFB history is going to the ‘Horns. Godspeed, Choach. Remember, those MILFs in the west hills of Austin are a bit more sophisticated than those in the GV. You can’t just tempt them with Mountain Dew and menthols like you’re used to.

:lol:

Cats starting to see some fallout with transfers hitting the portal. Greg Filer, senior corner back just entered portal. JT Reed, a OL/DL prospect they were quite excited about seems to be gone too. I’m assuming there will be more, which would be the hard part in these coaching changes.

Any news on who the replacement will be? I need to start workshopping like yesterday. I saw something about a guy with the last name "Eck". That would be almost too easy. Who is it? Who will be announced in the garage?

CDAGRIZ said:
Any news on who the replacement will be? I need to start workshopping like yesterday. I saw something about a guy with the last name "Eck". That would be almost too easy. Who is it? Who will be announced in the garage?

Eck from South St Dakota St came up but has already withdrawn it seems.

Other names floating around:

Roger Cooper, Junior Adams, Travis Lukas, Ty Gregorak, Kane Ioane, Bobby Daly

ABQCat said:
cclarkblues said:
Perhaps CDA's ability to live in his head caused Choach's exodus...
Yeah that it. Definitely. He was always really distracted on QBC calls, and would often stop midsentence because of a notification of CDA posting on egriz. At least twice per meeting he would just blurt out: "THAT GOSH DARN CDA!!".
What the hell are “QBC calls”? Were you trying to imply that Choach had something to do with plays called into the QB? If so, that’s laughable.

Or maybe you meant “QVC calls.” That actually makes more sense. I could see Choach calling into QVC to comment on their lustrous assortment of precious gems to bedazzle his jean jacket, but getting “really distracted”.

CDAGRIZ said:

Maybe the new theme song will be "Muskrat Love"...

HookedonGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Ugh. Not much to work with on that list. C'mon, Bobcats! Get a guy named "Funt" or "Schmee". Do your part.

HookedonGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I had to google some of these names. Was Roger Cooper the first James Bond?
Travis Lukas came up as a stone mason in Nebraska, or possibly a realtor in Texas. That would be such a Bubcat thing to do—hire some guy with no coaching experience just to preserve Choacheses’ culture. Which is awesome when you think about it: what culture? The culture of fucking up every QB? Maxing out at 3rd in the BSC? Skipping town at your first chance?
My neighbor mentioned someone called “Mickundo” and I have been praying ever since. I think he played the villain in the third Sharknado.

garizzalies said:
HookedonGriz said:

I had to google some of these names. Was Roger Cooper the first James Bond?
Travis Lukas came up as a stone mason in Nebraska, or possibly a realtor in Texas. That would be such a Bubcat thing to do—hire some guy with no coaching experience just to preserve Choacheses’ culture. Which is awesome when you think about it: what culture? The culture of fucking up every QB? Maxing out at 3rd in the BSC? Skipping town at your first chance?
My neighbor mentioned someone called “Mickundo” and I have been praying ever since. I think he played the villain in the third Sharknado.

No way they can afford Mickundo. They will get some HS coach from Sheridan, WY and trot him out as the new savior in the garage. They will likely extend his contract before his first game. HC at MSU is pretty cush. Just don't burn the stadium down and be competitive in one game per year, and you're a legend. That should actually be in the job ad.

Back