• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

College Admissions Scandal: Top Coaches Involved

PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:
tourist said:
When I got in, anyone who graduated from a Montana high school was accepted. :lol:
I grew up around the silos, at one point living within half a mile of one of the holes. Always figured if the end was coming, grab the lawn chair and whiskey, and get a good view of the incoming. No sense running.

"You can run if you want, but you'll just die tired."

When I got in all you needed as an international student was a 65%, so I got out of high school with a 67.2% (which my smart ass Grade 11 son, throws in my face when I get on him about being lazy AF). I used to think it was so low because they knew how much better other country's schools were compared to the US, I have since wised up and realised they just liked my international student tuition cheques. LOL

I have very few regrets in life but one of them is not enrolling at UBC. But, it all balances out, in the end.

Hey LA, my wife and I will be in downtown Savannah for a few days in a couple weeks. Where should we eat? We've visited some friends in Charleston twice in recent years, so opted to see a new place this time. On our way to dad's weekend at our son's fraternity at Sewanee, and their annual crawfish boil.

PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:
tourist said:
When I got in, anyone who graduated from a Montana high school was accepted. :lol:
I grew up around the silos, at one point living within half a mile of one of the holes. Always figured if the end was coming, grab the lawn chair and whiskey, and get a good view of the incoming. No sense running.

When I got in all you needed as an international student was a 65%, so I got out of high school with a 67.2% (which my smart ass Grade 11 son, throws in my face when I get on him about being lazy AF). I used to think it was so low because they knew how much better other country's schools were compared to the US, I have since wised up and realised they just liked my international student tuition cheques. LOL

I have very few regrets in life but one of them is not enrolling at UBC. But, it all balances out, in the end.

Hey LA, my wife and I will be in downtown Savannah for a few days in a couple weeks. Where should we eat? We've visited some friends in Charleston twice in recent years, so opted to see a new place this time. On our way to dad's weekend at our son's fraternity at Sewanee, and their annual crawfish boil.

If you are driving from Ga to Charleston, Beaufort is well worth the stop and there is a very good and old place...The Old Bull..this is one of the few places NOT burned down by Sherman in the Civil War...In Charleston, it is almost impossible to get a bad dinner but I favor the Hominy Grill near College of Charleston, Husk, Poogan's Porch, and High Cotton, are all great. If you have $$ to burn and like to be around those that do, McCrady's Tavern is a must...been there for years...a Steak house but lots of Southern cha'wm, y'all. It's off the tourist path by a couple blocks, in the Alley..I don't spend a lot of time in Charleston anymore. Prefer the Aiken to Orangeburg area..best Carolina BBQ..

GrizLA said:
PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:

I misread...thought you were going to Charleston...I don't know much about Savannnah except it is spread out and you best have good shoes...I've only been to two places there both goood The Boar's Head is on the waterfront and one of the oldest and best and I liked it. Also has a lot of locals. The other place is a real Southern adventure, Mrs. Wilkes Dining House...but, be prepared to sit at a large table with strangers unless you come with a large group as they be suvin' Suth'un vittles, family style. Best fried chicken outside of Orangeburg. But, there are literally dozens of good places around the old historic center....good and bad...Savannah is not Charleston.

GrizLA said:
GrizLA said:
PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:

I misread...thought you were going to Charleston...I don't know much about Savannnah except it is spread out and you best have good shoes...I've only been to two places there both goood The Boar's Head is on the waterfront and one of the oldest and best and I liked it. Also has a lot of locals. The other place is a real Southern adventure, Mrs. Wilkes Dining House...but, be prepared to sit at a large table with strangers unless you come with a large group as they be suvin' Suth'un vittles, family style. Best fried chicken outside of Orangeburg. But, there are literally dozens of good places around the old historic center....good and bad...Savannah is not Charleston.

Thanks. This is good info for us. We just picked Savannah on a suggestion and a whim. We are staying downtown by river and historic area. Will be driving from Atlanta airport to Savannah and then to Sewanee. Montana driving distances.

srgrizizen said:
With upward mobility for ordinary middle class kids at an all time low due to the banana republic-like inequality in this country, just about the only escape route is (was?) education. Now the moneyed oligarch class is closing even that loop hole. Time to put all the money back in the bank, give equal shares to all players, and let them start passing go.

I just belatedly looked at some of the reactions to this old post of mine. I get it that this board slants heavily to the right wing politically, but I'm surprised that no one seemed to understand my reference to the game of MONOPOLY. You know, the basic primer on American capitalism that most of us past a certain age grew up on. My semi-facetious reference to turning all the money back to the bank and starting over with everyone having the same shot was not meant literally. It's straight from Parker Bros, not Marx. To stick with the metaphor, we have clearly established the "winners" of the game since about 1984. It's the 1% who own about 80% of all the wealth in this country and employ it quite effectively to keep it safe from democracy. So I make no apology for suggesting it's time for another "New Deal," i.e start over with everyone having a more equal chance. Conditions today are so far removed from when folks graduated from H.S. from about 1945 to the early 80's, there is no comparison. Of course some will say that all the winnings from one game of Monopoly should carry over into all future games. You won it, so you must deserve it. These people probably also think the estate tax (with its $5 million) exemption is immoral. So fire away if you wish. I won't respond. Or, you could go read Joseph Stiglitz: The Price of Inequality, but you won't like it.

srgrizizen said:
srgrizizen said:
With upward mobility for ordinary middle class kids at an all time low due to the banana republic-like inequality in this country, just about the only escape route is (was?) education. Now the moneyed oligarch class is closing even that loop hole. Time to put all the money back in the bank, give equal shares to all players, and let them start passing go.

I just belatedly looked at some of the reactions to this old post of mine. I get it that this board slants heavily to the right wing politically, but I'm surprised that no one seemed to understand my reference to the game of MONOPOLY. You know, the basic primer on American capitalism that most of us past a certain age grew up on. My semi-facetious reference to turning all the money back to the bank and starting over with everyone having the same shot was not meant literally. It's straight from Parker Bros, not Marx. To stick with the metaphor, we have clearly established the "winners" of the game since about 1984. It's the 1% who own about 80% of all the wealth in this country and employ it quite effectively to keep it safe from democracy. So I make no apology for suggesting it's time for another "New Deal," i.e start over with everyone having a more equal chance. Conditions today are so far removed from when folks graduated from H.S. from about 1945 to the early 80's, there is no comparison. Of course some will say that all the winnings from one game of Monopoly should carry over into all future games. You won it, so you must deserve it. These people probably also think the estate tax (with its $5 million) exemption is immoral. So fire away if you wish. I won't respond. Or, you could go read Joseph Stiglitz: The Price of Inequality, but you won't like it.
:clap: :thumb: :thumb:

Back