• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Covid Updates - Not Politics

GrizLA said:
PhxGriz said:
So you really must be excited for the Maricopa audit. Be interesting to see if physical ballots match up with electronic count.
Stupidity such as that is hard to not admire. It takes brains to be that dumb...

How is actually comparing the manual ballot totals vs tabulation totals dumb? That's a process everyone can understand and hard to screw up. You would think if the Maricopa audit is anywhere near close to election results, it would completely shut down discussion of a stolen election.

PhxGriz said:
GrizLA said:
Stupidity such as that is hard to not admire. It takes brains to be that dumb...

How is actually comparing the manual ballot totals vs tabulation totals dumb? That's a process everyone can understand and hard to screw up. You would think if the Maricopa audit is anywhere near close to election results, it would completely shut down discussion of a stolen election.

it is easy to screw up when you have a bunch of untrained partisans sorting through ballots looking for any possible reason to throw out a ballot that isn't of their liking, due to a vote for biden, while ignoring anything when it is a pro-trump ballot. add in that it is all months after an election, that has been certified by republicans. seriously, the ccp might as well have identified what the parameters of an 'invalid ballot' is - one that the republicans don't like because it isn't in their favor. want to win elections? have some policies that actually help the majority of people, in a fair and reasonable way. don't whine, cry, moan, and complain that the other side 'cheated' by being better.

argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
Vindman is a turd.

Trump understood that international institutions are largely a waste of time and American money. The UN, World Bank, G-7, WHO etc...

Ask yourself - what war, conflict, or issue (social / diplomatic / information...) have these institutions prevented or mitigated. They are helpless bureaucracies with no real authority because there is no global authority - not one.

Nations will always behave in ways that are most favorable to them. Always. Except the U.S. under Liberal leaders who are willing to extract wealth from the American people in order to fund feel good international campaigns. Nonsense. What do these efforts yield for the American people?

Biden's faith in these international institutions will lead to more American expenditures, less American influence, and a weaker military.

and here i thought our army representatives understood the value of 'allies', especially given the number of bases the u.s. has around the world.

Ask yourself - what war, conflict, or issue (social / diplomatic / information...) have these institutions prevented or mitigated. They are helpless bureaucracies with no real authority because there is no global authority - not one.

Holy cow, how did I miss this post?

Should we start in 1948 with the Berlin Airlift and the Marshall Plan?

If it wasn’t for NATO, 447,000,000 Europeans would be living under Soviet Authoritarianism.

The fall of the Soviet Union was a direct result of the outside pressures, both economically and militarily, by NATO.

NATO continues to protect the freedom of former Soviet satellite countries. Ask a resident of those countries how important NATO is.

Without NATO the war and ethnic cleansing in former Yugoslavia would still be going on.

Maybe we can ask the 51,000,000 South Koreans who were saved by the UN from communist takeover by the communist N. Koreans, the Chinese People’s Liberation Army and supplied by the Soviet Union.

Or maybe the 21,000,000 Taiwanese that would not be an independent country without the Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty.

I could go on. I’m betting 10 years ago, you would have agreed with me, before you became radicalized.

argh! said:
PhxGriz said:

it is easy to screw up when you have a bunch of untrained partisans sorting through ballots looking for any possible reason to throw out a ballot that isn't of their liking, due to a vote for biden, while ignoring anything when it is a pro-trump ballot. add in that it is all months after an election, that has been certified by republicans. seriously, the ccp might as well have identified what the parameters of an 'invalid ballot' is - one that the republicans don't like because it isn't in their favor. want to win elections? have some policies that actually help the majority of people, in a fair and reasonable way. don't whine, cry, moan, and complain that the other side 'cheated' by being better.

Are you familiar with their process? Seems pretty straightforward.

Edit: Finally found the process, so I changed my summary.

Some of what Cyber Ninjas is looking for includes examining physical ballots, noting any difference in thickness, color, text, or otherwise. Folds, or lack thereof, will also be checked out.

As part of the process, Cyber Ninjas explicitly states the audit would be live-streamed “to the world” with a 24-hour feed of what’s going on until ballots are back in Maricopa County’s custody.

The documents also elaborate on their process for counting accuracy, stating that "ballot counting teams must be accurate to within 0.03%" and "will be counted by three counters. After every 100 ballots, the three counters will total their tally sheets."

If the three counters run into discrepancies in their counts and a "counter is off by 3 votes in any one race, the ballots must be recounted," the document states.

In addition, there are observers, both Dem and Rep throughout, and there are nine cameras streaming the audit over the web. Not to mention Secretary of State Katie Hobbs is attending along with her delegates she has appointed.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on the auditors swaying the audit through cheating.

Ursa Major said:
argh! said:
and here i thought our army representatives understood the value of 'allies', especially given the number of bases the u.s. has around the world.

If it wasn’t for NATO, 447,000,000 Europeans would be living under Soviet Authoritarianism.

The fall of the Soviet Union was a direct result of the outside pressures, both economically and militarily, by NATO.

NATO continues to protect the freedom of former Soviet satellite countries. Ask a resident of those countries how important NATO is.

Without NATO the war and ethnic cleansing in former Yugoslavia would still be going on.

Maybe we can ask the 51,000,000 South Koreans who were saved by the UN from communist takeover by the communist N. Koreans, the Chinese People’s Liberation Army and supplied by the Soviet Union.

Or maybe the 21,000,000 Taiwanese that would not be an independent country without the Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty.

I could go on. I’m betting 10 years ago, you would have agreed with me, before you became radicalized.

I never said anything about military alliances...but let's just go down this road.

You are out of your league here...I am a very senior ranking member of our Armed Forces and a graduate of the War College. I have spent 29 years defending our nation with 4 tours in Iraq, 2 in Afghanistan, and 2 in the Balkans.

1. The US IS NATO. We work within the process designed, but we provide nearly ALL of the fighting forces. Member Nations provide support in many ways, and they nearly ALL fail to achieve the agreed upon funding. When I was a planner in Afghanistan, France decided to remove their forces...nearly overnight....creating a real issue for the rest of the forces. They come with caveats stating that they will not leave their bases etc..it's outrageous.

2. The Berlin Airlift was executed by the US Air Corps (US Army). And, the Marshall Plan was designed and paid for (largely) by the American people.

3. The fall of the Soviet Union had nothing to do with NATO. The US simply out spent the Soviet Union. That is it. PERIOD. They had no economic levers to compete, and they didn't. They are ONLY concerned with the US.

4. The US led ALL effort into the Balkans...with half assed contributions from NATO nations. Everything done there was accomplished under US leadership regardless of titles. I WAS THERE.

I could go on, but I won't because on this topic, you are completely out of your element.

But, I get it - you are a big government, international institution type of guy. You believe in them...I simply don't. Has nothing to do with radicalization....but

Maybe you can run to Portland and find a few friends.

SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

I never said anything about military alliances...but let's just go down this road.

You are out of your league here...I am a very senior ranking member of our Armed Forces and a graduate of the War College. I have spent 29 years defending our nation with 4 tours in Iraq, 2 in Afghanistan, and 2 in the Balkans.

1. The US IS NATO. We work within the process designed, but we provide nearly ALL of the fighting forces. Member Nations provide support in many ways, and they nearly ALL fail to achieve the agreed upon funding. When I was a planner in Afghanistan, France decided to remove their forces...nearly overnight....creating a real issue for the rest of the forces. They come with caveats stating that they will not leave their bases etc..it's outrageous.

2. The Berlin Airlift was executed by the US Air Corps (US Army). And, the Marshall Plan was designed and paid for (largely) by the American people.

3. The fall of the Soviet Union had nothing to do with NATO. The US simply out spent the Soviet Union. That is it. PERIOD. They had no economic levers to compete, and they didn't. They are ONLY concerned with the US.

4. The US led ALL effort into the Balkans...with half assed contributions from NATO nations. Everything done there was accomplished under US leadership regardless of titles. I WAS THERE.

I could go on, but I won't because on this topic, you are completely out of your element.

But, I get it - you are a big government, international institution type of guy. You believe in them...I simply don't. Has nothing to do with radicalization....but

Great post Soldier. :clap:

The only thing the NATO is good for is being a giant money sucking machine and letting countries feel good about their “contributions” to peace.

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

The only thing the NATO is good for is being a giant money sucking machine and letting countries feel good about their “contributions” to peace.

He had me at War College! Always wanted to go.

PhxGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

he had me at "you are out of your league". if he's a current "senior ranking" u.s. army member, what is he doing commenting on political issues using a public forum like this? and with a initial rejoinder that for all practical purposes means "shut up, you don't get to comment"? i think the myanmar junta has some jobs open. you could tell everyone you know better, and have power over all those pesky civilians with their pesky "own views".

Argh, :stfu:. Ursa just got it stuck up his ass, and Soldier was pulling his punches. Now, you want some. Soldier, don't pull your punches.

I assume the War College covers all types of war. There is a cultural war going on in this country. Fight it like you intend to win it. Shock and awe.

argh! said:
PhxGriz said:

he had me at "you are out of your league". if he's a current "senior ranking" u.s. army member, what is he doing commenting on political issues using a public forum like this? and with a initial rejoinder that for all practical purposes means "shut up, you don't get to comment"? i think the myanmar junta has some jobs open. you could tell everyone you know better, and have power over all those pesky civilians with their pesky "own views".

There are scores of papers/articles in professional military publications that describe exactly what I have posted.

At least Ursa can make a cogent argument...you offer nothing.

3-7-77 said:
Argh, :stfu:. Ursa just got it stuck up his ass, and Soldier was pulling his punches. Now, you want some. Soldier, don't pull your punches.

I assume the War College covers all types of war. There is a cultural war going on in this country. Fight it like you intend to win it. Shock and awe.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

argh! said:
PhxGriz said:

Not trying to be a dick, because I value your input, but how is Soldier's statement any different than your ad hominem attack on the audit?

One came from a place of knowledge, while the other didn't.

Good update: Mask mandate at the office has been lifted. I feel like a kid again.
I thought about throwing most of mine away, but I think I'll keep them so I don't need to buy new ones when the Echo/Gamma variant is ravaging the nation in a few months.

CDAGRIZ said:
Good update: Mask mandate at the office has been lifted. I feel like a kid again.
I thought about throwing most of mine away, but I think I'll keep them so I don't need to buy new ones when the Echo/Gamma variant is ravaging the nation in a few months.

We were recently notified that you need to register in the HR database and prove you were vaccinated to work without a mask.

Been interesting to see the emails start with how you can volunteer your status, to now see that you must comply. I expect a few lawsuits out of this one.

SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Ursa is licking his wounds. Well done.

CDAGRIZ said:

CDA, honest question. How can anyone, any organization require anyone to prove vaccination status given HIPPA?

3-7-77 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

CDA, honest question. How can anyone, any organization require anyone to prove vaccination status given HIPPA?

No clue, but the public school system (elementary up to university) have been doing it for years. Not saying that it is right or wrong, but just stating the facts. It'll be interesting to see if the hullabaloo about vaccination status trickles down into proving / not proving your child has been vaccinated before entering the public school system.

3-7-77 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

It's a fine question, and one I am asked often. I don't know the ins and outs of HIPAA. In an employment context, I'd guess that the employers would liken it to drug testing in terms of it being a safety issue (as shaky as that analogy may be). That's a medical procedure. Employers can drug test you, get your results, and make decisions on your employment therefrom. In at least some places you have to disclose whether you have certain medical conditions to get certain licenses. I haven't looked it up, but I'd guess that you'd have to get some sort of screening to be eligible for a CDL. Handicap placards could be another example. My daughter broke her leg and we got a temp HC placard because she was in a wheelchair. We had to disclose her medical info to get it.

The fact of the matter is: An employer can "require" pretty much anything as a condition of employment. Your boss could make a rule that you can't wear pants on Tuesdays. Unless and until someone sues and wins (which would almost certainly happen in that instance), "Ass Out Tuesdays" would be a thing.

Now, if we're talking sporting events, concerts, etc., I think it might get a little hairier. I'm not sure how that would play out. On one hand, you have the venue that issues a ticket, which is a license, that can restrict all types of things. On the other, you might have people saying they are unfairly discriminating based on a medical condition. Maybe the best bet for the anti-vaxers is to try to get designated as handicapped so the ADA comes into play (joke, kind of).

Sorry for the long and serious non-answer, but it's definitely interesting to think about.

Thanks CDA. I didn't expect THE definitive answer, and you used just enough of a written response to provide an answer.
Glad I could 'tee one up' for an accomplished golfer.

CDAGRIZ said:
3-7-77 said:

It's a fine question, and one I am asked often. I don't know the ins and outs of HIPAA. In an employment context, I'd guess that the employers would liken it to drug testing in terms of it being a safety issue (as shaky as that analogy may be). That's a medical procedure. Employers can drug test you, get your results, and make decisions on your employment therefrom. In at least some places you have to disclose whether you have certain medical conditions to get certain licenses. I haven't looked it up, but I'd guess that you'd have to get some sort of screening to be eligible for a CDL. Handicap placards could be another example. My daughter broke her leg and we got a temp HC placard because she was in a wheelchair. We had to disclose her medical info to get it.

The fact of the matter is: An employer can "require" pretty much anything as a condition of employment. Your boss could make a rule that you can't wear pants on Tuesdays. Unless and until someone sues and wins (which would almost certainly happen in that instance), "Ass Out Tuesdays" would be a thing.

Now, if we're talking sporting events, concerts, etc., I think it might get a little hairier. I'm not sure how that would play out. On one hand, you have the venue that issues a ticket, which is a license, that can restrict all types of things. On the other, you might have people saying they are unfairly discriminating based on a medical condition. Maybe the best bet for the anti-vaxers is to try to get designated as handicapped so the ADA comes into play (joke, kind of).

Sorry for the long and serious non-answer, but it's definitely interesting to think about.

While this doesn't apply to employers it will give you some idea of how scared the medical community is of violating HIPAA.

I used to work for a medical laboratory as a sales/service rep and part of my job would be to resolve issues... obviously. Anyway, our lab clients (doctor's offices) would proceed to tell us about an issue with a patient testing results. When that happened, you simply would ask for a copy of the test results so you had all the pertinent information.

I can't tell you how many times the staff would start blacking out patient information on the report! Had to tell them they didn't need to do that, as that information came from our lab. We sent it to them! :lol:. The lab tracked our usage to ensure we weren't surfing for people's results.

Back