• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Egriz - Overreaction Nation

Alaska Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well I'm not closer to the program at all. All I know is what my eye sees. I went back and watched the game last night specifically focusing on the O-line. I watched Brown get absolutely owned on the first sack of Johnson. Then watching him get thrown to the ground like a ragdoll on a couple of other plays. Watching him get pushed backwards into the collapsing pocket like he's on roller skates on a number of plays.

Rushing: The majority of the running plays' success was because of the RB, not necessarily the O-line blocking. Ostmo had a 12 yard run in which a tackle was actually missed BEHIND the line of scrimmage, then he bounced off of two or three other tacklers on the way to the 12 yard gain. Harris's big gainer had first contact about 1 yard past the LOS. Lots of short gains due to O-lines inability to create holes or move the D-line (1, -7, 3, -6, 7, 6, -1, 1, 12, 4, 4, 3, 1, 16, 0, 1, 3, 4, 7, 3, 3, 8, 3, 3, 4, 3, 0, -21, -3, 3, 2, 1, 2). So in 33 rushing attempts, we had 5 TOTAL that went for more than 4 yards and rushed for a total of 70 yards and 2.5 ypc. And both of the long(er) ones were essentially all on the RB. Is that REALLY the production we want/need out of our rushing attack/O-line? (Just for comparison's sake, to see how we stack up against the team we presumably think we're meeting in the chipper, here are NDSU's rushing plays against FBS University of Arizona: 5, 3, 5, 3, 6, 15, 7, 7, 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 5, -12, 10, -1, 12, 1, 9, 2, 0, 2, 1, 6, 10, 1, 34, 19, 6, 4, 2, 4, 7, 11, 38, 22, 4 ,7, 14, -1, 0, 1, 2, -2. That's TWENTY TWO (out of 45) rushing plays over 4 yards, and ELEVEN of those were over 9 yards on their way to 283 yards rushing, on 6.3 ypc.)

Passing: IMHO the primary reason the O-line looks relatively good in pass protection is because the majority of the pass plays take less than 1.5 seconds to get the ball out of Johnson's hands. He's in the shotgun, takes the snap, makes a quick read and fires a short pass in the flat or across the middle. That is about 73% of our pass plays.

Pass Plays (including 3 that were nullified by penalty):
LJ: Short right, short right, short right
deep left, short right, deep left, deep right
deep right, short right, short right, short left
short left, deep right, deep left, short left, deep left
short left, short left
short right, deep middle, deep left, short middle
short left, short right, short right, short left
short right, short right
short middle, short right, short right, short left, short left, short left, deep middle
KB: short left, short right
short right, short left, short left, short left
short right, short left
deep left, deep left, deep left, short left, deep middle

34 "short" passes. 13 "deep" passes. Rarely is there a look downfield on a slower developing play, and RARELY do the O-linemen have to block for more than 1.5-2 seconds. And still Johnson often has to scramble and leave the "pocket" while searching for an open receiver (which he's VERY good at, by the way). So when Bobby says "we've got the right man for this system", I think that's maybe coach speak for "he can avoid the rush that's inevitably coming and still get the ball away fairly accurately to the receivers while running for his life".

One other thing I noticed: Not a SINGLE substitution on the O-line until KB came into the game. So Walker/MayGinnes/Forbes/Brown/Casey played every single meaningful offensive snap, which truly tells you what Bobby thinks of the "2-deep" backups and how well-positioned we are should one of those 5 go down with any kind of serious injury. Are they all young? Sure (well, except for Walker). Are they improving? I guess one could say that. But they'd better improve leaps and bounds or I stand by my initial observation that this unit is the weakest link and we are still no better than a quarterfinal team.

You might consider taking a deep breath and enjoying the season a little. Some good football getting played. As far as that bet, if you want to name an amount pm me. I'm good for any amount of money you want to put up.

Me thinks you might not have AZ type $. Recommend you rethink the any amount of money thing...

SoldierGriz said:
Alaska Griz said:
What do you mean, why I care so much? I've been around Griz athletics in different capacities since the late 90's. I know players and parents and coaches. Many parents and players read this site. I like rooting for their kids and being part of a program where they feel welcomed and want to play. I care about the team. I'm not too concerned about the last 7 years right now. I think Hauck has improved the team each year he's been back, as promised, to the point where we're now a contender.

The Griz can only beat the teams they play, and at this point in the season with only a few OC games played, combined records don't mean anything. I don't grade the o-line. I want the TEAM to win every game and peak later in the season. The o-line is protecting the QB and giving him time to throw. They seem to be improving. I like the young o-linemen and the class structure moving forward. I am proud of this team and I enjoy watching them compete.

This has the makings of a great season and I hope some of the couch coaches can take a deep breath and actually appreciate the effort and success this team achieves while understanding that health at a variety of positions on both offense and defense is likely the most important factor in a deep run.

Why are you so emotional about the C+ grade I gave them after the 1st game...and solid Bs since then?

Why do you get emotional because I think they are the weakest position group?

Why do you get emotional because I think CG has underperformed since his return to the Griz?

You are free to have different opinions on these things...and also free to walk by my posts.

I don't think emotional is what I'm being. Just supportive of the team that I think is on a great trajectory. I don't disagree the o-line has struggled in recent years. I like where it's at moving forward. I haven't mentioned anything about grades, that was you and pr's deal.

SoldierGriz said:
Alaska Griz said:
You might consider taking a deep breath and enjoying the season a little. Some good football getting played. As far as that bet, if you want to name an amount pm me. I'm good for any amount of money you want to put up.

Me thinks you might not have AZ type $. Recommend you rethink the any amount of money thing...

Now that is an odd comment backed by nothing. I imagine neither AZ nor I have any interest in dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars over a Griz football bet. Either way, I think I'll be just fine.

SoldierGriz said:
Alaska Griz said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alaska Griz said:
SoldierGriz said:

Now that is an odd comment backed by nothing. I imagine neither AZ nor I have any interest in dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars over a Griz football bet. Either way, I think I'll be just fine.

:thumb: By the way, I AM enjoying the season. Just making some observations. Grist for the mill, so to speak. ;)

Alaska Griz said:
SoldierGriz said:
Why are you so emotional about the C+ grade I gave them after the 1st game...and solid Bs since then?

Why do you get emotional because I think they are the weakest position group?

Why do you get emotional because I think CG has underperformed since his return to the Griz?

You are free to have different opinions on these things...and also free to walk by my posts.

I don't think emotional is what I'm being. Just supportive of the team that I think is on a great trajectory. I don't disagree the o-line has struggled in recent years. I like where it's at moving forward. I haven't mentioned anything about grades, that was you and pr's deal.

BTW, I don't disagree that the team is on a great trajectory. And the O-line can be both moving forward and improved over recent years AND still be the weak link. They're not necessarily exclusive of each other. I mean, at the end of the day, it ain't ANY position on D, and it's not the QB, RB or WR positions....that only leaves one group. :| :|

I don't believe in grades. I believe in how the learning makes the learner feel. Some learning can make the learner feel like a bird or a tree. Other lessons might make the learner feel like a rock or a puddle. Right now, I feel that the OL is between a tree and a wave with potential to be a sunset.

CDAGRIZ said:
I don't believe in grades. I believe in how the learning makes the learner feel. Some learning can make the learner feel like a bird or a tree. Other lessons might make the learner feel like a rock or a puddle. Right now, I feel that the OL is between a tree and a wave with potential to be a sunset.

Wow man, that's really deep!

AZGrizFan said:
Alaska Griz said:

BTW, I don't disagree that the team is on a great trajectory. And the O-line can be both moving forward and improved over recent years AND still be the weak link. They're not necessarily exclusive of each other. I mean, at the end of the day, it ain't ANY position on D, and it's not the QB, RB or WR positions....that only leaves one group. :| :|

Maybe, but the season is never played in a vacuum. Injuries always play a major role and can fluctuate the strengths of a team week to week and even derail a season. Can we beat upper tier teams with our backup qbs? Is QB a strength of the team without LJ? I doubt it. If we lose a couple of defensive tackles does our defense remain elite? Maybe, but I doubt it. Many thought we'd be solid at running back last year. Look how that turned out. I think it's more complex and there are very few positions that we could sustain multiple injuries to starters without a huge drop off. One reason I consider comfortable wins without major injuries to be successes. Otherwise, we might really have something to bitch about.

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Wow man, that's really deep!

Yeah, thanks. I just don’t know when this all became about performance and winning. They say holding is against the rules, but you know what to do with rules? Throw them out! Just go out and live, love, and enjoy your own unique journey as a being.

Alaska Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Maybe, but the season is never played in a vacuum. Injuries always play a major role and can fluctuate the strengths of a team week to week and can derail a season. Can we beat upper tier teams with our backup qbs? Is QB a strength of the team without LJ? I doubt it. If we lose a couple of defensive tackles does our defense remain elite? Maybe, but I doubt it. Many thought we'd be solid at running back last year. Look how that turned out. I think it's more complex and there are very few positions that we could sustain multiple injuries to starters without a huge drop off. One reason I consider comfortable wins without major injuries to be successes. Otherwise, we might really have something to bitch about.

Well, not every program can be like Bozeman State and have their backups be better than their starters. It's just the nature of the beast at the FCS level.

Htowngriz said:
Alaska Griz said:
Maybe, but the season is never played in a vacuum. Injuries always play a major role and can fluctuate the strengths of a team week to week and can derail a season. Can we beat upper tier teams with our backup qbs? Is QB a strength of the team without LJ? I doubt it. If we lose a couple of defensive tackles does our defense remain elite? Maybe, but I doubt it. Many thought we'd be solid at running back last year. Look how that turned out. I think it's more complex and there are very few positions that we could sustain multiple injuries to starters without a huge drop off. One reason I consider comfortable wins without major injuries to be successes. Otherwise, we might really have something to bitch about.

Well, not every program can be like Bozeman State and have their backups be better than their starters. It's just the nature of the beast at the FCS level.

Agreed. And it applies to FBS, just to a lesser degree.

CDAGRIZ said:

Please pass it...

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Please pass it...

Are you implying that my take on grades is as meaningless as others' grades for the OL?

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
Please pass it...

Are you implying that my take on grades is as meaningless as others' grades for the OL?

Yes....and please pass the stuff you were smoking when drafting the above. Then, do some grading. It is easy.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yes....and please pass the stuff you were smoking when drafting the above. Then, do some grading. It is easy.

I’ve already said I don’t believe in grades. They only serve to rank beings against other beings. Join us in the soil room tonight, where we will dine on chickpeas and attempt to summon the Great Bear Spirit in the hopes that we will all become one.

Or: We all get your OL opinion. Enough is Enough…it’s literally the same word.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

I’ve already said I don’t believe in grades. They only serve to rank beings against other beings. Join us in the soil room tonight, where we will dine on chickpeas and attempt to summon the Great Bear Spirit in the hopes that we will all become one.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

:lol:

The severe overreaction at issue was not a belief that the Oline was the weakest link, it was the campaign to have the Oline coach fired prior to this season for no good reason, and going as far as mocking the Oline coach’s name (Chad). That kind of sheer stupidity cannot go unchecked.

garizzalies said:
The severe overreaction at issue was not a belief that the Oline was the weakest link, it was the campaign to have the Oline coach fired prior to this season for no good reason, and going as far as mocking the Oline coach’s name (Chad). That kind of sheer stupidity cannot go unchecked.

Dear Chad,

Thank you for visiting this worn out thread. Appreciate the clicks. You know I get a kick-back for clicks on these threads, correct? Don't you have a game to prepare for?

Back