• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz and MWC

barryj said:
Just to add more food for thought:
University of New Mexico athletic budget: $34m, New Mexico State $21m and Boise State $40m.
These athletic budgets are basically estimates of annual expenses. They aim a bit high to be sure all expenses are covered and most actually include a “profit” when all’s said and done. It’s not like these are mandatory minimum membership amounts for the mwc.

Try to name another “entity” in a capitalist market that would refuse 4x the “profits” in year one because of concerns about expenses. It’s like saying, “I don’t want to win the lotto because then I would just have more bills.” Crazy talk.

If we get to chose our level of membership/expenses (and we would if invited), what is the problem with managing expenses accordingly?

Where’s all the profit? I’m looked through all the schools and roughly they’re (in millions) -1 -7 +1 -1 -3 +7 +3 0 +1 +1 +2 0. The +7 is Air Force, who doesn’t have to pay scholarships out. It’s been kind of thrown around that there would be danger of literally drowning in all the additional revenue the move up would make us. I’m not seeing it that way from the info provided on the previous page.

Montana athletics never makes a profit. It's athletic budget is heavily subsidized every year.

No business in America would agree to make 4 times the prior year's one million profit, i.e. $3 million more of revenue, if it would cost them $15 million to make the additional $3 million. That would turn a $1 million profit into a $11 million loss.

mthoopsfan said:
Montana athletics never makes a profit. It's athletic budget is heavily subsidized every year.

No business in America would agree to make 4 times the prior year's one million profit, i.e. $3 million more of revenue, if it would cost them $15 million to make the additional $3 million. That would turn a $1 million profit into a $11 million loss.
https://knightnewhousedata.org/fcs
Odd, this information that was previously presented as fact for the mountain west seems to indicate that we did not lose money. So that would put us in a better financial spot right now than over half of the mountain west. Also, Air Force at +7 million does not have to cover tuition.

dupuyer griz said:
Where’s all the profit? I’m looked through all the schools and roughly they’re (in millions) -1 -7 +1 -1 -3 +7 +3 0 +1 +1 +2 0. The +7 is Air Force, who doesn’t have to pay scholarships out. It’s been kind of thrown around that there would be danger of literally drowning in all the additional revenue the move up would make us. I’m not seeing it that way from the info provided on the previous page.

If you are looking for profit, don't look at college athletic programs and their reported numbers. That is not how it works.

HelenaHandBasket said:
dupuyer griz said:

If you are looking for profit, don't look at college athletic programs and their reported numbers. That is not how it works.
I didn’t realize it worked like politicians taxes

dupuyer griz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Odd, this information that was previously presented as fact for the mountain west seems to indicate that we did not lose money. So that would put us in a better financial spot right now than over half of the mountain west. Also, Air Force at +7 million does not have to cover tuition.

UM athletics needed to be subsidized almost $9 million in state/institution support and student fees to break even. This is pretty much the story of every college athletics department. In reality, almost every program is a money loser without the subsidies.

HelenaHandBasket said:
dupuyer griz said:

UM athletics needed to be subsidized almost $9 million in state/institution support and student fees to break even. This is pretty much the story of every college athletics department. In reality, almost every program is a money loser without the subsidies.

Boise state was subsidized at 19.6 million. If the argument to move up is money equivalent to the amount of pussy I thought I would get with a bowl cut everyone is going to be real disappointed.

dupuyer griz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Boise state was subsidized at 19.6 million. If the argument to move up is money equivalent to the amount of pussy I thought I would get with a bowl cut everyone is going to be real disappointed.

That is the big hurdle, but to what degree to be competitive. How much would the program need to find in State/Institution support, Student Fees, donor contributions, and sponsorships. My point previously was that NCAA and Conference Distributions along with guarantees would make the gap smaller than what was noted in a previous post. In theory, I would be all for it, but I am not sure it is feasible.

HelenaHandBasket said:
dupuyer griz said:

That is the big hurdle, but to what degree to be competitive. How much would the program need to find in State/Institution support, Student Fees, donor contributions, and sponsorships. My point previously was that NCAA and Conference Distributions along with guarantees would make the gap smaller than what was noted in a previous post. In theory, I would be all for it, but I am not sure it is feasible.
I’d really like to see what the students have to say about coming up with a portion of an additional 10 mil, likewise, taxpayers to come up with an additional 20 since blowsman will be coming along as well.

HelenaHandBasket said:
dupuyer griz said:

Good information Helena.

garizzalies said:
dupuyer griz said:
I just used the difference between us and Boise state for institutional and government subsidies. Fresno state was considerably higher.
So, yes?

I’m not guessing at all. I used the difference between us and Boise state, tuts roughly 10 million. The guessing is the people just throwing out how much more money we’ll make.

dupuyer griz said:
garizzalies said:

I’m not guessing at all. I used the difference between us and Boise state, tuts roughly 10 million. The guessing is the people just throwing out how much more money we’ll make.
Not really; I think you got it backwards. There’s a link supporting the media revenue figures but nothing to support your personal extrapolation based on complete speculation.

garizzalies said:
dupuyer griz said:
Not really; I think you got it backwards. There’s a link supporting the media revenue figures but nothing to support your personal extrapolation based on complete speculation.
I’d post a picture if it wasn’t next to impossible on this damn phone. You can click on any school by bouncing around in that link. In the bottom right it will show the school and you can click on the institutional profile. Above the pie chart or whatever the hell we want to call that thing there is an option for where the money goes and where the money comes from. Under UM it’s 8.01 million and under Boise state it’s 19.59 million. It’s actually a difference of 11.58 million. Boise state is about as close to us as you can get. Also, also, also, didn’t the university spend a metric shot ton of money to a firm to figure the numbers out? All I did was use the link provided that shows the value of moving up to show that there isn’t going to be a windfall of money. The students and taxpayers will absolutely have to pick up the tab for the move. I’m sure they’ll all be tripping bc over themselves to do that. There’s four pages of we’ll make so many more million moving up and we are losing money staying in fcs. They’re full of shit if they think that’s the case.

I don’t think anyone on this board has the full story in the difference in the finances between Montana being a member of the Mountain West or the Big Sky. It would be advisable for UM to compare both in detail should it ever be possible for us to move to the Mountain West.

Back