• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz and MWC

dupuyer griz said:
garizzalies said:
Not really; I think you got it backwards. There’s a link supporting the media revenue figures but nothing to support your personal extrapolation based on complete speculation.
I’d post a picture if it wasn’t next to impossible on this damn phone. You can click on any school by bouncing around in that link. In the bottom right it will show the school and you can click on the institutional profile. Above the pie chart or whatever the hell we want to call that thing there is an option for where the money goes and where the money comes from. Under UM it’s 8.01 million and under Boise state it’s 19.59 million. It’s actually a difference of 11.58 million. Boise state is about as close to us as you can get. Also, also, also, didn’t the university spend a metric shot ton of money to a firm to figure the numbers out? All I did was use the link provided that shows the value of moving up to show that there isn’t going to be a windfall of money. The students and taxpayers will absolutely have to pick up the tab for the move. I’m sure they’ll all be tripping bc over themselves to do that. There’s four pages of we’ll make so many more million moving up and we are losing money staying in fcs. They’re full of shit if they think that’s the case.
Oh trust me, I understand perfectly.
My point is you don’t know for sure and are really just guessing. You have a predetermined outcome already in mind and you are back-filling rank speculation to support it. Which is fine, I just think that should be made clear to the board.

I personally think there is a defeatist attitude around here on this subject and one the U should avoid. As the venerable CDA might say, “it can’t be done, just can’t; we’ve always done it this way and it’s the only way.”

If and when playoffs in the G5 occurs or an invite comes along, we must be ready to pounce immediately. We cannot take a wait and see approach or we will be left in the dust. There’s only one good team left in FCS for cripes sake. One! All the rest have left already. Why the hell would we want to the the last one holding the bag?

HelenaHandBasket said:
How much would the program need to find in State/Institution support, Student Fees, donor contributions, and sponsorships. .

Anyone thinking the students will go along with increased fees is delusional. Back in the '70s, before I got my degree, the students basically said 'Hell No!' to any fee increases for the Athletic Department. The last time was to subsidize the Majestic Plaza or whatever it is called. Same answer. Not gonna happen.

garizzalies said:
dupuyer griz said:
I’d post a picture if it wasn’t next to impossible on this damn phone. You can click on any school by bouncing around in that link. In the bottom right it will show the school and you can click on the institutional profile. Above the pie chart or whatever the hell we want to call that thing there is an option for where the money goes and where the money comes from. Under UM it’s 8.01 million and under Boise state it’s 19.59 million. It’s actually a difference of 11.58 million. Boise state is about as close to us as you can get. Also, also, also, didn’t the university spend a metric shot ton of money to a firm to figure the numbers out? All I did was use the link provided that shows the value of moving up to show that there isn’t going to be a windfall of money. The students and taxpayers will absolutely have to pick up the tab for the move. I’m sure they’ll all be tripping bc over themselves to do that. There’s four pages of we’ll make so many more million moving up and we are losing money staying in fcs. They’re full of shit if they think that’s the case.
My point is you don’t know for sure and are really just guessing. You have a predetermined outcome already in mind and you are back-filling rank speculation to support it. Which is fine, I just think that should be made clear to the board.

I personally think there is a defeatist attitude around here on this subject and one the U should avoid. As the venerable CDA might say, “it can’t be done, just can’t; we’ve always done it this way and it’s the only way.”

If and when playoffs in the G5 occurs or an invite comes along, we must be ready to pounce immediately. We cannot take a wait and see approach or we will be left in the dust. There’s only one good team left in FCS for cripes sake. One! All the rest have left already. Why the hell would we want to the the last one holding the bag?

I don't think any of the posters questioning or not supporting moving up, or asking how it could possibly be done successfully, have a "defeatist" attitude. My view is that anyone saying others have defeatist attitudes probably doesn't understand the game or competition very well.

3-7-77 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
How much would the program need to find in State/Institution support, Student Fees, donor contributions, and sponsorships. .

Anyone thinking the students will go along with increased fees is delusional. Back in the '70s, before I got my degree, the students basically said 'Hell No!' to any fee increases for the Athletic Department. The last time was to subsidize the Majestic Plaza or whatever it is called. Same answer. Not gonna happen.

And if UM players start getting any significant amount of NIL, most other students are going to say no to increased fees, and why doesn't some of the NIL go to decreasing student fees.

Comparing UM and Boise State is foolish. Not apples and oranges, its apples and Ferrari's. Ada County and Canyon County, which comprise the majority of the Treasure Valley, have a population of 781,000, in a state with 2.04 million people. Boise is also the capital of Idaho. Home to Hewlett-Packard and Micron. Funding Boise projects is not a problem. Why, I wonder? Hmm. The Ferrari factor.
Then, we have Missoula, with half the town supporting Griz athletics, the other half(the Raze Missoula crowd)wanting to destroy Griz athletics. No seat of state government, no industry, no nothin'. The Missoula Metro population is less than 118,000 in a state of a little over one million. The apples factor.

mthoopsfan said:
And if UM players start getting any significant amount of NIL, most other students are going to say no to increased fees, and why doesn't some of the NIL go to decreasing student fees.

This almost makes me want to confront a student group with the fact that this idea is illegal, with thanks to Michael Jordan. My “want” is to see and hear the reaction, which I think would be predictable.

I can think of one school whose students actually voted for a fee increase in the last 20-25 years for the purpose of moving up. And I can’t tell you what UC San Diego students were thinking when they did it. Shrug.

3-7-77 said:
No seat of state government, no industry, no nothin'.
There once was a substantial Forest Products Industry until the Progressive locals ran it out of town.

kemajic said:
3-7-77 said:
There once was a substantial Forest Products Industry until the Progressive locals ran it out of town.
Yeah kind of like the ones in Oregon, Washington and California. They did an amazing job of sustainable in those states. :roll: The only reason it isn't worse in Montana is there is only pecker poles there.

mthoopsfan said:
garizzalies said:

I don't think any of the posters questioning or not supporting moving up, or asking how it could possibly be done successfully, have a "defeatist" attitude.
You’re right; it can’t be done. Can you imagine the number of swim caps alone we would have to buy? At least 7-8, maybe more.
And some anonymous guy on the internet confirmed it. He extrapolated numbers out his butt based on a different school 8hrs away, so it must be true. Luckily only the great FCS schools will move up so we can rtd someday.

garizzalies said:
dupuyer griz said:

[spoil]There is a 1000% chance we will be left holding the bag.[/spoil]

garizzalies said:
mthoopsfan said:
I don't think any of the posters questioning or not supporting moving up, or asking how it could possibly be done successfully, have a "defeatist" attitude.
You’re right; it can’t be done. Can you imagine the number of swim caps alone we would have to buy? At least 7-8, maybe more.
And some anonymous guy on the internet confirmed it. He extrapolated numbers out his butt based on a different school 8hrs away, so it must be true. Luckily only the great FCS schools will move up so we can rtd someday.

Sigh. Putting words in peoples mouths means you get Richter Scale eyerolls from me.

It can be done, but you need to know what to actually do. There’s a fair chance that, for Montana, this starts with doubling or tripling the state’s population in a short period of time, and that probably starts with wrecking whatever property appreciation you were hoping to achieve in order to help make residences more affordable. It also doesn’t hurt to kidnap local developers. Simple, no?

I write from the Portland metropolitan area, which is growing faster than Montana on a percentage basis (and is already more than twice the population). Considering the rise of housing prices in this area, I do wonder sometimes how that growth is happening, but this place still does get influx from even higher cost areas… and not everybody bases their relocation choices on price.

CDAGRIZ said:
garizzalies said:

I suppose I should make comments like the defeatist one, by saying that people who support moving up just want to run Griz football into the ground. Or, everyone should be making a million dollars a year so they can help fund the NIL coop. Anyone doesn't think he can make a million dollars is defeatist and is moving backward (because not moving towards a million is standing still, and thus moving backward).

Maybe that will help the discussion.

mthoopsfan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I suppose I should make comments like the defeatist one, by saying that people who support moving up just want to run Griz football into the ground. Maybe that will help the discussion.

Not necessarily. I understand people’s concerns on both sides of it. I really do. If the financial reality is that it isn’t happening anytime soon, then I honestly believe we will be one of the only good programs left in 10-15 years. It’s been trending that way for awhile now.

Pounder said:
garizzalies said:

Sigh. Putting words in peoples mouths means you get Richter Scale eyerolls from me.

It can be done, but you need to know what to actually do. There’s a fair chance that, for Montana, this starts with doubling or tripling the state’s population in a short period of time, and that probably starts with wrecking whatever property appreciation you were hoping to achieve in order to help make residences more affordable. It also doesn’t hurt to kidnap local developers. Simple, no?

I write from the Portland metropolitan area, which is growing faster than Montana on a percentage basis (and is already more than twice the population). Considering the rise of housing prices in this area, I do wonder sometimes how that growth is happening, but this place still does get influx from even higher cost areas… and not everybody bases their relocation choices on price.
I don’t want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying a move up starts with a rapidly increasing population and property prices? Hmm. Have you been in MT recently?

mthoopsfan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I suppose I should make comments like the defeatist one, by saying that people who support moving up just want to run Griz football into the ground. Or, everyone should be making a million dollars a year so they can help fund the NIL coop. Anyone doesn't think he can make a million dollars is defeatist and is moving backward (because not moving towards a million is standing still, and thus moving backward).

Maybe that will help the discussion.
You forgot if you’re not cheating you’re not trying (oh wait that’s the bubcat mantra)

I believe most posters (not you) have not visited the mwc schools and compared them to other bsc schools. The only ones close are in MT. The CA schools seem to have the resources but not the following. The campuses of even the bottom mwc teams, like UNR, make a great BSC team, like ewe, look like a clown car act show.

Because I know how much you love cliche arguments, here’s another: a rising tide lifts all ships. A move up would not just help FB. I would love our campus to look like UNR’s. Imagine bball, or wrestling! It’s not just about FB playoffs. Can you not see the forest for the trees? Or is it through the trees?

The BSC is on the south side of the RxR tracks, past the slaughter house and tire fire, but some could possibly get out and move to the ritzy neighborhood. All we need is an invite and we’d be like George Jefferson, but posters would rather fear monger with made up figures.

garizzalies said:
Pounder said:

I don’t want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying a move up starts with a rapidly increasing population and property prices? Hmm. Have you been in MT recently?

You missed where I wrote that, for all the growth Montana might have, other places have more growth, and not all of the schools in those places are getting the benefit of the doubt in realignment scenarios.. And I’m aware there’s literally a low-level TV series that is or was advertising availability in Montana. (Officially, it’s been almost 6 years since my last trip, unless I’m forgetting something.)

In Montana’s case, I’m saying that dropping the prices will lead to a much bigger influx… though probably still not on a Vegas or Arizona (or even Boise) scale. I am purposefully ignoring physical, social, and moral requirements involved in such growth that current residents might experience because, unless I find a funkier retirement deal than I am counting on getting right now, it’ll be your problem, not mine. But there aren’t many assurances at this point.

I do want to baseline something. You should WANT to move up. Even if the move doesn’t happen, you’ll learn something in the process. I’m just amused by the continued conversation here being about it as a matter of will, the thought that “we just have to advertise that we want to and we’ll get invited.” That is not at all the case. 75% of the recent realignment has had population at the center of the discussion. I mean, ask yourself why NDSU hasn’t moved up already.

If UM is given the opportunity to move to the Mountain West, the only reason not to make the move is inadequate funding should that prove to be the case. All other reasons stated on this forum are nonsense.

getgrizzy said:
Griz to mwc is a done deal. Expect to see something in the next few weeks. MSU is staying in BSC.
Well, of course we'll be expecting. Like we're expecting the border to be secure, etc.

kemajic said:
3-7-77 said:
The US forest industry exists only because of protectionist trade practices against Canadian lumber. Without that economies of scale alone would swamp the US market. We do the same thing in Canada to protect our small wine industry from California.

Back