• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz and MWC

SaskGriz said:
kemajic said:
There once was a substantial Forest Products Industry until the Progressive locals ran it out of town.
The US forest industry exists only because of protectionist trade practices against Canadian lumber. Without that economies of scale alone would swamp the US market. We do the same thing in Canada to protect our small wine industry from California.

Yeah, sure. But you have to actually have people willing to go into the woods and cut them down. Canada has like, what, 8 people? :cool:

Hmm. Why the hell would Canada want a wine industry? Beer I can understand, but WINE? Like Montana's Wine Industry? Farther south than any of your vineyards.

AZGrizFan said:
SaskGriz said:
The US forest industry exists only because of protectionist trade practices against Canadian lumber. Without that economies of scale alone would swamp the US market. We do the same thing in Canada to protect our small wine industry from California.

Yeah, sure. But you have to actually have people willing to go into the woods and cut them down. Canada has like, what, 8 people? :cool:

And all of them have houses in Flathead or Lake County. Some are even in Swan Lake now...

3-7-77 said:
Hmm. Why the hell would Canada want a wine industry? Beer I can understand, but WINE? Like Montana's Wine Industry? Farther south than any of your vineyards.

Ever been to Kelowna BC? I can compare it to Bend, Oregon, except it’s further north, so it won’t be as hot. Similar climate and apparently rather decent reds. Not sure I’d want a Pinot from there.

Even nuttier is that I spent a couple nights in what apparently is Canada’s surfing capital. That’s Tofino, halfway up Vancouver Island, if so inspired.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Bear Spray said:
Convince me UM would be able to recruit to compete. If you think ESG - GCG is bad now.....

After watching the MSU-Wyoming game last season, you don't think the top BSC schools are almost comparable to the MWC schools and it wouldn't take a huge leap?

Wyoming had 2 conference wins. 2. Maybe after 4 years of recruiting um would be better if for no other reason than more bodies, but why would you go to Missoula when you could get an education at Utah State, Boise State, Airforce or Colorado State and avoid winter?

Bear Spray said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
After watching the MSU-Wyoming game last season, you don't think the top BSC schools are almost comparable to the MWC schools and it wouldn't take a huge leap?

Wyoming had 2 conference wins. 2. Maybe after 4 years of recruiting um would be better if for no other reason than more bodies, but why would you go to Missoula when you could get an education at Utah State, Boise State, Airforce or Colorado State and avoid winter?

Wait. Are you really attempting to suggest that the education one receives at USU, CSU or BSU (which is fvcking laughable) would be superior that at Montana (and yes, msu)? And last I looked, Colorado, Central Idaho and Utah all have winters.

As an aside, did I dream Montana beating a Top 20 P12 team last year? Maybe I did....

EverettGriz said:
Bear Spray said:

Wait. Are you really attempting to suggest that the education one receives at USU, CSU or BSU (which is fvcking laughable) would be superior that at Montana (and yes, msu)? And last I looked, Colorado, Central Idaho and Utah all have winters.

As an aside, did I dream Montana beating a Top 20 P12 team last year? Maybe I did....

Bear Spray’s argument might be the most retarded take I’ve seen on eGriz in some time. And that’s saying something.

Seems to me that the thing missing in this discussion is the financial side. Quick google search says UM's athletic budget is $23 million and University of Wyomings athletic budget is $41 million. So to move up UM has to nearly double the athletic budget, year after year after year. Same Google search seemed to indicate CSU subsidizes athletics to the tune of $25 million per year.

So where does the money come from? Ticket price increases might generate a little (ready for your tickets to double in price?); surely there is a big dollar payday game out there (ready to be on the other side of that experience?); and the MWC TV package has to pay a little better than the BSC (ready to play on thursday night?). After all that we still won't be close to footing the bill. So where does the money come from?

Please note, I'm not really offering an opinion on moving up, I'm just pointing out an important part of the discussion.

mcg said:
Seems to me that the thing missing in this discussion is the financial side. Quick google search says UM's athletic budget is $23 million and University of Wyomings athletic budget is $41 million. So to move up UM has to nearly double the athletic budget, year after year after year. Same Google search seemed to indicate CSU subsidizes athletics to the tune of $25 million per year.

So where does the money come from? Ticket price increases might generate a little (ready for your tickets to double in price?); surely there is a big dollar payday game out there (ready to be on the other side of that experience?); and the MWC TV package has to pay a little better than the BSC (ready to play on thursday night?). After all that we still won't be close to footing the bill. So where does the money come from?

Please note, I'm not really offering an opinion on moving up, I'm just pointing out an important part of the discussion.

Yet somehow nobody EVER moves down.

Well, except Idaho. And that’s the never-movers shining example of who we most CERTAINLY will become. :lol:

mcg said:

How to say you didn't read the thread without saying you didn't.

What IF, the schools left behind by the highest level, finally view this as opportunity to reduce expenses, being they no longer have to compete against the biggest of big boys? They collectively come up with new plans, etc.

IF that were to happen, what kind of changes would need to happen for the majority of GRIZ fans to support to moving on and joining the likes of the Mountain West? In my opinion, the schools that we belong with.

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

Bear Spray’s argument might be the most retarded take I’ve seen on eGriz in some time. And that’s saying something.

I'm still not certain he was serious.

alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:
Wyoming was 7-6 last year.

5 non conference wins?! Kem, I don’t think you’re being completely honest😎.

Bear spray was correct, wyoming had only 2 conference wins they were against Colorado state, and Utah state... 4 non-conference wins to start the season and their bowl win gave them 5 out of conference victories

mtgrizrule said:
What IF, the schools left behind by the highest level, finally view this as opportunity to reduce expenses, being they no longer have to compete against the biggest of big boys? They collectively come up with new plans, etc.

IF that were to happen, what kind of changes would need to happen for the majority of GRIZ fans to support to moving on and joining the likes of the Mountain West? In my opinion, the schools that we belong with.

I think you have a decent point. One problem is that if the super Dogs ditch the NCAA completely in all sports March Madness dies along with a lot of the billion a year CBS and Warner Media pay for it. Expenses will definitely have to be cut then. But yeah, I'd like to see us going head to head with MWC type schools when the time is right. No point in getting too excited until the shakeout happens.

Since this thread is still alive, one super fun point to make. I’m a Huskers fan, and yesterday in week zero at about 2pm the first fbs game ended and the Huskers season is essentially over. They have zero chance of making the championship series. This is the number one reason I have no interest in fbs. I realize some of you just can’t wait to tune into the auto zone lifetime guarantee brake pad bowl, I do not. So, to reiterate, while only like 10 teams games had even started the chances of a championship were over. In fairness, they really didn’t have a shot, but fbs is the only division of football where your season can be over in week zero. High school, NAIA, NCAA division 2,3 and FCS as well as the NFL this isn’t the case. It’s some hot bullshit.

dupuyer griz said:
Since this thread is still alive, one super fun point to make. I’m a Huskers fan, and yesterday in week zero at about 2pm the first fbs game ended and the Huskers season is essentially over. They have zero chance of making the championship series. This is the number one reason I have no interest in fbs. I realize some of you just can’t wait to tune into the auto zone lifetime guarantee brake pad bowl, I do not. So, to reiterate, while only like 10 teams games had even started the chances of a championship were over. In fairness, they really didn’t have a shot, but fbs is the only division of football where your season can be over in week zero. High school, NAIA, NCAA division 2,3 and FCS as well as the NFL this isn’t the case. It’s some hot bullshit.

Let’s be honest. Even in FCS, as long as NDSU is here the season is over before it starts for about 118 of the 120 teams. :roll:

Back