• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz and MWC

1. College football attendance declined for 7th straight season to lowest average since 1981

2. MWC, 21,401 average, -7.9%

Lowest ever

3. Sun Belt 18,410 +0.04

4. SEC
Lowest since '99

5. Big Ten
+0.003
Highest since '18

Spanky2 said:
What facilities do we need?

Don't know.

New press box area and expansion on west side. Possible stadium expansion. A good indoor practice facility, assuming the one being built is a bit small and temporary. A better basketball facility. A new or better track facility. A new or better soccer stadium. (If these two weren't already updated.) An indoor facility for tennis (unless the new indoor facility is sufficient). Another sport and Title IX compliance.

Weight training, academic centers coaches offices, football and basketball locker rooms and nice softball facility have been done, I believe. And, at least a small/okay indoor practice facility is being built.

What else? Athletic department jet for the football team and big boosters. Ha.

Less parking and tailgating areas; oh, that's being worked on. Ha.

garizzalies said:
mthoopsfan said:
Come up with an extra $10 to $15 million a year in revenue for the annual budget, above what the MW would pay annually
Is there a link to support these figures?

2 links. One is to the UM annual budget of about $23 million per year. The other is to the MW annual budgets. An average of $43.3 million per year ($508 million divided by 13 teams). $43 - 23 equals a $20 million gap. I guessed $5 million of new conference-related revenue. I then gave UM the benefit of the doubt by saying that UM would need a budget of $10-$15 million. The higher side of $15 million would probably be necessary to be competitive.

https://www.on3.com/news/montana-football-beats-washington-nice-payday-victory-over-ranked-team/

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/mwc

If you have better or different figures, please provide a link. Thx.

mthoopsfan said:
garizzalies said:

2 links. One is to the UM annual budget of about $23 million per year. The other is to the MW annual budgets. An average of $43.3 million per year ($508 million divided by 13 teams). $43 - 23 equals a $20 million gap. I guessed $5 million of new conference-related revenue. I then gave UM the benefit of the doubt by saying that UM would need a budget of $10-$15 million. The higher side of $15 million would probably be necessary to be competitive.

https://www.on3.com/news/montana-football-beats-washington-nice-payday-victory-over-ranked-team/

Thanks. I followed the mwc link you provided. It is set to the “where the money goes” option to show expenses. If you click the “where the money comes from” option, you can see the revenue figures.

It seems our average revenue would be more than our expenses, like all the other schools (except one apparently). According to your own math, our average revenue would be about $39.5 million per year ($513 million divided by 13 teams). This is about twice our current revenue, and more than your $15mil guess for expenses.

garizzalies said:
mthoopsfan said:

Thanks. I followed the mwc link you provided. It is set to the “where the money goes” option to show expenses. If you click the “where the money comes from” option, you can see the revenue figures.

It seems our average revenue would be more than our expenses, like all the other schools (except one apparently). According to your own math, our average revenue would be about $39.5 million per year ($513 million divided by 13 teams). This is about twice our current revenue, and more than your $15mil guess for expenses.

Nope, UM's revenue is $23 million. The MW pays out $4 million to its teams.

Your calculation is the MW team's average revenues, not UM's. UM would have to figure out how to get there. Please don't play dumb.

mthoopsfan said:
garizzalies said:

Your calculation is the MW team's average revenues, not UM's. UM would have to figure out how to get there. Please don't play dumb.
As I’ve said before, the only legitimate reason not to change conferences is if finances don’t allow the change. It’s looking a little bleak based on the numbers thus far.

mthoopsfan said:
garizzalies said:

Not playing dumb at all. I’m using your math, your logic, and your link.

Why is it okay for you to use the average expenses page but I can’t use the average revenue one? Shouldn’t it go both ways?

garizzalies said:
mthoopsfan said:

Why is it okay for you to use the average expenses page but I can’t use the average revenue one? Shouldn’t it go both ways?

Nope. Please don't tell us you're that stupid. Feel free to get anyone on the board to agree that UM would automatically have $43 million of revenue if it went to the MW.

mthoopsfan said:
garizzalies said:

Here’s what I got from that first link: Washington is our BITCH. :lol:

mthoopsfan said:
garizzalies said:

Nope. Please don't tell us you're that stupid. Feel free to get anyone on the board to agree that UM would automatically have $43 million of revenue if it went to the MW.
Why do you stoop to suggesting I’m dumb/stupid? I’m using your math from your link. Do you resort to name calling when losing an argument? Can you not answer my questions?

Why is it okay for you to make “automatic” assumptions but if someone else does (while using the same link) they are dumb/stupid?

You “guess” that expenses will increase to the average but I can’t do the same on the revenue side? Do you really believe expenses will increase about 200% but revenue will only increase about 20% ? Where are you coming up with this disparity? Just another “guess”?

Watching both the Portland vs San Jose game and the cal poly vs Fresno game I am even more convinced that both UM and MSU would find near immediate success in the mountain west.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/multiple-schools-have-reached-out-about-wanting-to-join-the-pac-12/ar-AA11naLu?li=BBnb7Kz

Looks like the trickle continues.

Wolf777 said:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/multiple-schools-have-reached-out-about-wanting-to-join-the-pac-12/ar-AA11naLu?li=BBnb7Kz

Looks like the trickle continues.

Nice find and a short read.
If that happens, the MWC would be looking to add. If all the schools mentioned go to the PAC, then Montana and MSU could get calls.

From the linked article:

"As it stands right now the Pac-12 is still in the midst of negotiating their media rights deal, but as explained by Canzano, adding more schools such as San Diego State, UNLV, or even SMU will likely only increase their value."

"Canzano did say that one of the schools that has reportedly done some back-channeling is Boise State, who is one of the schools both Canzano and myself have identified as a possible fit."

Stanford and Boise St. Two peas in a pod. Ha.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

Here’s what I got from that first link: Washington is our BITCH. :lol:

Haha! :clap:

mthoopsfan said:
From the linked article:

"As it stands right now the Pac-12 is still in the midst of negotiating their media rights deal, but as explained by Canzano, adding more schools such as San Diego State, UNLV, or even SMU will likely only increase their value."

"Canzano did say that one of the schools that has reportedly done some back-channeling is Boise State, who is one of the schools both Canzano and myself have identified as a possible fit."

Stanford and Boise St. Two peas in a pod. Ha.
Good one! I have a lot more respect for BSU as an educational institution than a lot on here ... but to say they are "a possible fit" with the likes of Stanford (or Cal, or ...) is hilarious.

FWIW: Give Boise credit for educating students in fields where they can actually get jobs, like health care (nursing to pre-med), media (think TV and movie production), and STEM.

Now that the FBS is expanding to a 12-team playoff, I am more interested in a move "up." I'll be all set to go if they go to 16 teams, especially if the winner of the MWC were invited to fill one auto-bid. Because that's what's gonna make the playoffs fun, not watching the SEC schools beat up on one another.

I do think the Mountain West schools are a better fit in terms of the types of institutions to be associated with, let alone sports programs. Just my two cents.

I think it's better to look NOW at where to re-align than to wait for forces to push us around.
I would think/hope Montana would be welcomed by the MWC.

But it's not up to me and I have exactly zero control over whether it happens.

GrizGuy said:
Now that the FBS is expanding to a 12-team playoff, I am more interested in a move "up." I'll be all set to go if they go to 16 teams, especially if the winner of the MWC were invited to fill one auto-bid. Because that's what's gonna make the playoffs fun, not watching the SEC schools beat up on one another.

I do think the Mountain West schools are a better fit in terms of the types of institutions to be associated with, let alone sports programs. Just my two cents.

I think it's better to look NOW at where to re-align than to wait for forces to push us around.
I would think/hope Montana would be welcomed by the MWC.

But it's not up to me and I have exactly zero control over whether it happens.

There is no way in hell the Mountain West is going to expand right now.

Latest posts

Back