• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz and MWC

AZGrizFan said:
dupuyer griz said:
Since this thread is still alive, one super fun point to make. I’m a Huskers fan, and yesterday in week zero at about 2pm the first fbs game ended and the Huskers season is essentially over. They have zero chance of making the championship series. This is the number one reason I have no interest in fbs. I realize some of you just can’t wait to tune into the auto zone lifetime guarantee brake pad bowl, I do not. So, to reiterate, while only like 10 teams games had even started the chances of a championship were over. In fairness, they really didn’t have a shot, but fbs is the only division of football where your season can be over in week zero. High school, NAIA, NCAA division 2,3 and FCS as well as the NFL this isn’t the case. It’s some hot bullshit.

Let’s be honest. Even in FCS, as long as NDSU is here the season is over before it starts for about 118 of the 120 teams. :roll:

But, we get the opportunity to find out.

dupuyer griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Let’s be honest. Even in FCS, as long as NDSU is here the season is over before it starts for about 118 of the 120 teams. :roll:

Oh, we go through the motions, sure. 24 teams can feel good about themselves because they “made the playoffs”….but in the end, there really hasn’t been much “anticipation” since NDSU started dominating. Honestly, there’s been more turmoil in the BCS 4-team playoff than there has been in FCS during the past decade+.

FCS:
NDSU - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021
SHSU - 2020*
JMU - 2016

BCS:
Alabama - 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020
Clemson - 2016, 2018
Florida State - 2013
Ohio State - 2014
LSU - 2019
Georgia - 2021

So really, IMHO, the only difference in the current arrangement is the size of the playoff system (which is what causes a 1-2 loss team to not make it). We have 8-win teams almost every year that don’t get selected. Why? Because they’re from a mediocre conference and don’t have a quality win—how different is that than knowing if you’re playing in the A-SUN or C-USA that you aren’t getting into a 4-team playoff? Shades of gray, IMHO.

AZGrizFan said:
dupuyer griz said:

Oh, we go through the motions, sure. 24 teams can feel good about themselves because they “made the playoffs”….but in the end, there really hasn’t been much “anticipation” since NDSU started dominating. Honestly, there’s been more turmoil in the BCS 4-team playoff than there has been in FCS during the past decade+.

FCS:
SHSU - 2020*
JMU - 2016

BCS:
Clemson - 2016, 2018
Florida State - 2013
Ohio State - 2014
LSU - 2019
Georgia - 2021

So really, IMHO, the only difference in the current arrangement is the size of the playoff system (which is what causes a 1-2 loss team to not make it). We have 8-win teams almost every year that don’t get selected. Why? Because they’re from a mediocre conference and don’t have a quality win—how different is that than knowing if you’re playing in the A-SUN or C-USA that you aren’t getting into a 4-team playoff? Shades of gray, IMHO.

Good points. If I just may add the point that those lower FBS players/coaches/fans probably don’t feel like they’re playing for nothing. If that were the case, why do recruits choose G5 FBS over FCS in droves? Why do coaches make the jump? Why are their stadiums much bigger/better on average?

I’ve said it before, but I’d love to see whether App State, Marshall, GA Southern fans want to move back to FCS.

AZGrizFan said:
dupuyer griz said:

FCS:
SHSU - 2020*
JMU - 2016

BCS:
Clemson - 2016, 2018
Florida State - 2013
Ohio State - 2014
LSU - 2019
Georgia - 2021

The auto bid ensures access for the winner of the conference. I get what you’re saying for sure, but going through the motions regardless of outcome is still a better option.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

FCS:
SHSU - 2020*
JMU - 2016

BCS:
Clemson - 2016, 2018
Florida State - 2013
Ohio State - 2014
LSU - 2019
Georgia - 2021

Good points. If I just may add the point that those lower FBS players/coaches/fans probably don’t feel like they’re playing for nothing. If that were the case, why do recruits choose G5 FBS over FCS in droves? Why do coaches make the jump? Why are their stadiums much bigger/better on average?

I’ve said it before, but I’d love to see whether App State, Marshall, GA Southern fans want to move back to FCS.

Exactly. Christ on a crutch, even IDAHO fans didn’t want to move back and they failed about as miserably as one can fail in their move-up experience.

AZGrizFan said:
dupuyer griz said:

FCS:
SHSU - 2020*
JMU - 2016

BCS:
Clemson - 2016, 2018
Florida State - 2013
Ohio State - 2014
LSU - 2019
Georgia - 2021

To me, I'm want to see how the latest version of Steve Spurrier, Lane Kiffin, does this year plus it's going to be Interesting to watch how Billy does in Gainesville. Kentucky is also worth watching this year.

As I sat in the local watering hole here in K.C. last night with my lady, we talked about the gameday experiences we miss outside Neyland Stadium or the World's Largest Floating Cocktail Party. There's a hell of a lot more to a college gameday (or week or month for that matter) than driving several hundred miles on Saturday morning, watch a podunk football game, and turn and burn back home. Heck, even Athens has university condos on campus. Talk about tailgating while you're at it.

Some seem to believe that remaining FCS, UM is able to protect Montana raised recruits rather than more talented recruits not from Montana if UM was in FBS.

If UM had FBS-necessary facilities (or enough upfront money to build them); had enough money to pay for the huge gap between UM's budget and required FBS budgets; the ability to fund NIL at the level necessary for attracting top recruits at the FBS level; and the ability to sustain the annual budget and NIL over time; that would probably change the views of some Griz fans. At this point, FBS and MW are just not financially feasible, not even close.

UM would need an invite. I don't think UM's number of tv fans is even close to being enough. The MW doesn't want to share its tv income with a school that won't contribute its fair share. I see there's talk of conferences not sharing income equally. That would not help UM sustain the necessary annual budget.

UM has the fans, season tickets, and ticket revenue to go FBS. And it could probably be improved a bit, but not a huge amount.

The playoffs are big for many UM fans, and probably for some of the Missoula businesses (who are asked to support UM).

A minor FBS bowl game is a big non-event for many UM fans, almost a joke.

Having a lot of MT kids is important for some fans, but more importantly, might be important for some of the Board of Regents. Why would the Regents want to fund more athletics or take more risks, for mainly non-MT kids.

The apparent MSU problem, with the Regents. I don't know anything about the extent or reality of this. It is probably real, I assume.

I don't know the impact of FBS or MW on other sports. I assume basketball would be fine, or would be helped.

Come up with an extra $10 to $15 million a year in revenue for the annual budget, above what the MW would pay annually,; and get an invite or realistic place to go, and the discussion could/would change; and get an invite. At this point, I still don't see the MW wanting
UM. Of course, things could change.

There just aren't enough FBS conferences in the West for UM to have or find a home, in my view.

Well the Regents are primarily funding non Montana kids for Men’s and Women’s basketball and Men’s and Women’s tennis for starters. Hardly a Montana kid on any! I wouldn’t think their concern for Montana kids applies only to football?

Spanky2 said:
Well the Regents are primarily funding non Montana kids for Men’s and Women’s basketball and Men’s and Women’s tennis for starters. Hardly a Montana kid on any! I wouldn’t think their concern for Montana kids applies only to football?

Note that there’s a lot of “probably”, “presumably”, “I think”, “I suppose”, “might be”, “apparently” in that post by PR, Spanky. That way no matter WHAT the argument he can claim he never said it. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:

Note that there’s a lot of “probably”, “presumably”, “I think”, “I suppose”, “might be”, “apparently” in that post by PR, Spanky. That way no matter WHAT the argument he can claim he never said it. :lol:

Every argument I made I will claim, and all of them are correct.

kemajic said:
Bear Spray said:
Wyoming had 2 conference wins. 2.
Wyoming was 7-6 last year.

"A Mickey Mantle Rookie Card Sells for $12.6 Million at Auction

The mint condition 1952 Topps baseball card of the Yankees slugger surpasses the previous sports memorabilia record—$9.3 million for Diego Maradona’s ‘Hand of God’ jersey"

Bottom line: UM has many non Montana kids on scholarship. If the Regents are interested in protecting Montana kids in football, the policy should be extended to all sports offered at UM.

Spanky2 said:
Bottom line: UM has many non Montana kids on scholarship. If the Regents are interested in protecting Montana kids in football, the policy should be extended to all sports offered at UM.

I wonder if it might make sense to get the best players we can get for football, regardless of where they’re from. I know that seems like a super wild idea.

Hoops watcher said:
mtgrizrule said:
What IF, the schools left behind by the highest level, finally view this as opportunity to reduce expenses, being they no longer have to compete against the biggest of big boys? They collectively come up with new plans, etc.

IF that were to happen, what kind of changes would need to happen for the majority of GRIZ fans to support to moving on and joining the likes of the Mountain West? In my opinion, the schools that we belong with.

I think you have a decent point. One problem is that if the super Dogs ditch the NCAA completely in all sports March Madness dies along with a lot of the billion a year CBS and Warner Media pay for it. Expenses will definitely have to be cut then. But yeah, I'd like to see us going head to head with MWC type schools when the time is right. No point in getting too excited until the shakeout happens.

I listen to ESPNU on Sirius a lot. Their's a lot of discussions going on to keep the tournament in place, even if there is a separation of some kind. There's quite a few proposals out there. There's also the possibility of different types of alignments for football and basketball.

I'm thinking, by next summer, we'll have a clearer picture of where things are heading and to put things into place.

It might take 5 to 7 years before Montana needs to make decisions. Either way, decision time is coming.

CDAGRIZ said:
Spanky2 said:

I wonder if it might make sense to get the best players we can get for football, regardless of where they’re from. I know that seems like a super wild idea.

Makes sense to me.

Here’s one to cogitate: UM could recruit 2-3 (conservative) quality kids every year solely from Indian reservations for basketball. The good news is that they’re from Montana and the Regents should be happy!!

Latest posts

Back