• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz @ New Mexico

Final Lobos 72
Griz 63

Total Fouls 29-15
Rebounds 43-31
Free Throws Taken 35-7

Positives
Griz only 6 Turnovers

They went 20 of 35 from the free-throw line while the Griz win 4 of 7, that’s an absolute travesty. Home cooking continues through thanksgiving

HookedonGriz said:
They went 20 of 35 from the free-throw line while the Griz win 4 of 7, that’s an absolute travesty. Home cooking continues through thanksgiving

You don't think the pattern relates to the Griz in anyway?

grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:

I watched this game and the fouls calls were a joke... No consistency. When in doubt they called the foul on UM.

griznative24 said:
Man, if this 2019 version of the Griz had a legit post player...

I wouldnt eve ask for Legit, just if Samualson and Anderson could reliably combine for 6pts a game and a block...games would be a lot different....and maybe that could happen by the end of the year. I would like to see Owens try a few post up looks

grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:

I mean its kinda what happens when you are way undersized, you have to be more physical and pick up more fouls and on the offensive side you get locked out of the post where most the shooting fouls happen. Not saying the officiating was great, but I wouldn't expect things to be even.

CleanHOUSE said:
grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:

I mean its kinda what happens when you are way undersized, you have to be more physical and pick up more fouls and on the offensive side you get locked out of the post where most the shooting fouls happen. Not saying the officiating was great, but I wouldn't expect things to be even.

This is my thought also. Same as the UW game.

Had to follow the game via Stats since there was no TV for me. Sorta humorous, actually. For slightly better than four minutes in the first half, from 17:79 to 13:43, neither team scored. I thought my iPad was low on battery. In fact, we went from 18:37 to 13:43, nearly five minutes, without a bucket. Again in the second half, when we took at one point lead on a three from Manuel, we went from 8:59 to 6:13 without scoring, nearly a three minute drought. This is killing us.

But of course, there's the homer aspect. How many times against good teams have we won from the field--USC, Washington, now New Mexico--only to get killed at the foul line.

But I have a theory about this. As our national profile rises in the next few years, the fouls will level off. Why? Because right now, there is simply too much for a Washington or a New Mexico to lose if they get beat by a team with our rating--now #131 according to Sagarin. Losing right now to Montana would be a huge embarrassment, a blow to post-season hopes. Next few years? I don't think so.

CleanHOUSE said:
griznative24 said:

I wouldnt eve ask for Legit, just if Samualson and Anderson could reliably combine for 6pts a game and a block...games would be a lot different....and maybe that could happen by the end of the year. I would like to see Owens try a few post up looks

6 pts? I'll take it! All I see tho is fouls and getting stuffed/stripped anytime the ball goes to the paint. Granted its against legit competition, but I'm having trouble seeing any bright spots for either post player. Owens seems to be able to do it all, going to be fun watching him and the rest of the freshman develop!

This was one of Sayeed's best games as a Griz: In 37 minutes he made 11-of-21 shots for 25 points, snared 10 rebounds,and had 5 assists, 3 steals and a blocked shot, with only 1 turnover. The Lobos simply couldn't stop Sayeed when he got into the paint.

grizindabox said:
CleanHOUSE said:
grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:

These kid of games are where it hurts not to have a Running Back like we have been used to having i.e. Cherry, Rorie, Ogunie. Vasquez is more of QB dont see the power or explosion to take the ball like a RB to the hoop, when you have that even against these big teams you can get to FT line. Pridgett can get inside but hes more of Tight End doesnt get guys chasing and reaching as much.
Maybe Egun can bring that dribble drive game eventually as he looks likes hes got a bit more of hefty build

grizindabox said:
CleanHOUSE said:
grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:

True to an extent but the cheapie hand check calls around the perimeter were not very even. We will have to accept that freshmen tend to get more than their share of dumb fouls.

Grizbballfan14 said:
I hate to make excuses and say things like we got robbed, but that is exactly what happened here.

Not really, their size took it's toll the last 10 minutes. Lots of second chance putbacks every time we got within 4 or 5. They did a good job of tightening it up at the head of the stretch run and were in it, couldn't finish around the rim a few times to make it a one possession game and took a few iffy shots. They are learning on the fly, getting better every game and UNM is a very solid team so I'm fine with where the Griz are at. Outside of the Tech loss it's been what I expected so far.

And Yagi is coming, should help a lot in the post. We've been pretty spoiled having a veteran core the last couple years.

CleanHOUSE said:
griznative24 said:

Anderson has a long way to go to get minutes and contribute. Good luck to him. Samuelson at 100% won't help. As I said when he first signed, he's a good NAIA / Frontier player, not D-1.

rosco said:
CleanHOUSE said:
griznative24 said:

Anderson has a long way to go to get minutes and contribute. Good luck to him. Samuelson at 100% won't help. As I said when he first signed, he's a good NAIA / Frontier player, not D-1.

Give Peter Jones a look! Is he essentially like a student manager or what does he do?

Back