• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz @ New Mexico

That was a great outing by the Griz! That team beat Wisconsin a few days ago. My take is that the Griz are getting better by leaps and bounds each week. Defensively the Griz worked their ass off and kept game close. Even with their big time drop downs Sayeed was best player on the floor. Timmy lost his composure a bit but I love how he competes. Manuel missed some shots that he will make as season goes on. The freshman played big time. I’m telling you this team will be tough as hell come Big Sky Tournament.

CleanHOUSE said:
rosco said:
CleanHOUSE said:
griznative24 said:
Man, if this 2019 version of the Griz had a legit post player...

I wouldnt eve ask for Legit, just if Samualson and Anderson could reliably combine for 6pts a game and a block...games would be a lot different....and maybe that could happen by the end of the year. I would like to see Owens try a few post up looks

Anderson has a long way to go to get minutes and contribute. Good luck to him. Samuelson at 100% won't help. As I said when he first signed, he's a good NAIA / Frontier player, not D-1.

Give Peter Jones a look! Is he essentially like a student manager or what does he do?

I believe he's injured again. Could be wrong, though.

grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:
They went 20 of 35 from the free-throw line while the Griz win 4 of 7, that’s an absolute travesty. Home cooking continues through thanksgiving

You don't think the pattern relates to the Griz in anyway?

I hear you....the Griz are often outsized, out experienced, and outmatched which will definitely lead to more fouls than the other team. However shooting FTs at a 5-1 ratio is a joke. I watched the whole game and the foul calls were so weak. TD was getting close to losing it.

Welcome to my world....now you know how I felt last year when MSU shot 31 more free throws than we did...they made 25 more than we did and won the game by 14.....

HookedonGriz said:
grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:
They went 20 of 35 from the free-throw line while the Griz win 4 of 7, that’s an absolute travesty. Home cooking continues through thanksgiving

You don't think the pattern relates to the Griz in anyway?

I hear you....the Griz are often outsized, out experienced, and outmatched which will definitely lead to more fouls than the other team. However shooting FTs at a 5-1 ratio is a joke. I watched the whole game and the foul calls were so weak. TD was getting close to losing it.

Those free throw stats are pretty familiar from the last several Pac12 games too...

sacstateman said:
Welcome to my world....now you know how I felt last year when MSU shot 31 more free throws than we did...they made 25 more than we did and won the game by 14.....

Got homered in the UW game and UNM!

Hoops watcher said:
... UNM is a very solid team so I'm fine with where the Griz are at. Outside of the Tech loss it's been what I expected so far.
The Lobos are indeed a "solid" team ... and when they are even a little bit above mediocre, they are practically unbeatable at "The Pit." Historically, through good years and bad, they have won something like 82% of their home games.

I was very encouraged by the Griz performance at New Mexico. Playing against much bigger schools on the road, in front of more than 10,000 fans, comes with its share of challenges. But this young Griz team never backed down.

Josh Vazquez will hold some career records by the time he's finished. He shows a ton of poise for a frosh! Kyle Owens and Derrick Carter-Hollinger played well beyond their years also - it's almost impossible to fathom that Carter-Hollinger is still 17!

Timmy Falls and Kendal Manuel contributed as well. It was too bad that Timmy fell into a hole with three fouls early, but he came back and played very well in the second half. Kendal will hit a lot of big shots for this team.

Jared Samuelson and Mack Anderson seem to be progressing nicely. I think their continued development will determine how well we perform in conference play. Having Yagi on the court should make a big difference also. I have no idea what to expect with him, but I trust that Coach DeCuire sees some things that he likes.

Let's take care of UND on Friday and move on to conference play!

UncleRico said:
That was a great outing by the Griz! That team beat Wisconsin a few days ago. My take is that the Griz are getting better by leaps and bounds each week. Defensively the Griz worked their ass off and kept game close. Even with their big time drop downs Sayeed was best player on the floor. Timmy lost his composure a bit but I love how he competes. Manuel missed some shots that he will make as season goes on. The freshman played big time. I’m telling you this team will be tough as hell come Big Sky Tournament.

My take is similar to yours, I'm a glass half full guy when assessing this team and Yagi will shore things up on the interior.

Anyone in town for the playoff tilt should take a couple hours off from their shift at Red's and come out and check what Coach D has brewing with this bunch. The frosh are getting half the minutes and any college hoop fan can get excited about the future. Watching Travis build this program with quality student athletes has been a blast and the sky is the limit the next few years. So get your butts in those seats people!

Hoops watcher said:
UncleRico said:

My take is similar to yours, I'm a glass half full guy when assessing this team and Yagi will shore things up on the interior.

Anyone in town for the playoff tilt should take a couple hours off from their shift at Red's and come out and check what Coach D has brewing with this bunch. The frosh are getting half the minutes and any college hoop fan can get excited about the future. Watching Travis build this program with quality student athletes has been a blast and the sky is the limit the next few years. So get your butts in those seats people!
I agree with you completely! I don't know how anyone could not have anticipated some growing pains with so many young kids playing. I have watched every game and I think the growth is pretty evident. This group is extremely talented but just young. Carter-Hollinger is still just 17 for just one example. I find this group to be very entertaining to watch and it is going to be fun to watch them develop. I agree take a break Friday night and go watch the Griz!

I realize I’m focused on football at the moment, but why isn’t the ticket office promoting the “doubleheader” this weekend a little bit? I think it would be nice if it were advertised with the football crowd coming in. Football ticket holders ought to get in free or at a discount to support Griz hoops. Hell, we will all be drunk and loud downtown, might as well be drunk and loud at the basketball game.

Buttegrizzle said:
I realize I’m focused on football at the moment, but why isn’t the ticket office promoting the “doubleheader” this weekend a little bit? I think it would be nice if it were advertised with the football crowd coming in. Football ticket holders ought to get in free or at a discount to support Griz hoops. Hell, we will all be drunk and loud downtown, might as well be drunk and loud at the basketball game.

Good point, you'd think a half off deal for FB fans or something similar would have crossed the marketing people's radar. :thumb: I'm going to be at both games ready to roll. Kind of a shame to not take advantage of thousands of potential customers, no?

Somebody said there is such a promo being advertised on the radio. Of course in Butte I can’t get Griz hoops on the damn radio unless they are playing the Cats, that is.

Buttegrizzle said:
Somebody said there is such a promo being advertised on the radio. Of course in Butte I can’t get Griz hoops on the damn radio unless they are playing the Cats, that is.

Hope so, would be nice to see the place at least half full.

Hoops watcher said:
Buttegrizzle said:

Good point, you'd think a half off deal for FB fans or something similar would have crossed the marketing people's radar. :thumb: I'm going to be at both games ready to roll. Kind of a shame to not take advantage of thousands of potential customers, no?

It was announced as early as last Friday. 1/2 off BB tickets with FB ticket.

So two people have mentioned they heard that. Announced where? That’s my point. Someone one said “on the radio”. Well, sad to say the Grizzly Basketball Network ain’t what it used to be. If it was a footnote on GoGriz I missed it. I checked the basketball schedule there out of curiosity and saw they have the home game Friday night but there was no promotion mentioned. Just seems a news story, the pressers, the Hauck show, even a newspaper article about the SELA game could hype it a little.

maroonandsilver said:
Hoops watcher said:
Buttegrizzle said:

It was announced as early as last Friday. 1/2 off BB tickets with FB ticket.

It DOES appear that the game is being promoted as part of the upcoming weekend activities. I DO know that coaches Hauck and DeCuire very actively support all the programs at the university. It's good to see this (though we followers of Montana hoops know that basketball has been underpromoted for quite some time). It looks as if the promotion targets students only, though.

[media]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES/status/1202256630706065408[/media]

Latest posts

Back