• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz OFFICAL Signing List

Those who criticize the recruiting class obviously have no clue about whether it is a good or not so good class. So why raise the negativity? Recruits go to this site - it has a rep - for good or bad. And nobody here knows if it is a good recruiting class even if they know anything about it because they haven’t evaluated the players. Do people here not think that Bobby doesn’t know what he is doing?

It is clear that Bobby likes Montana players. Maybe there is a reason for that. Look just at some of the walk-ons - O’Connell, Lewis, Cook and probably others - not to mention previous players such as Anderson and Mariani and more.

Great Twitter thread from Hauck on all the recruits. Pay close attention to his comment on our new punter. Bobby is hard not to love

https://twitter.com/frankgogola/status/1471307681071878144?s=21

https://twitter.com/frankgogola/status/1471307699770081281?s=21

MISSOULA — When Montana’s 14 seniors exhausted their eligibility Friday, none of them freed up any scholarships for the Griz to use in recruiting.

Seniors were permitted to return for an extra year of eligibility this fall season because of the pandemic. They could stay on scholarship, but their scholarship amounts and roster spots didn’t count toward the team’s regular numbers.

HookedonGriz said:
Great Twitter thread from Hauck on all the recruits. Pay close attention to his comment on our new punter. Bobby is hard not to love

https://twitter.com/frankgogola/status/1471307681071878144?s=21

https://twitter.com/frankgogola/status/1471307699770081281?s=21

The transfer punter said the same thing about the new punter, more or less.

HelenaHandBasket said:
MISSOULA — When Montana’s 14 seniors exhausted their eligibility Friday, none of them freed up any scholarships for the Griz to use in recruiting.

Seniors were permitted to return for an extra year of eligibility this fall season because of the pandemic. They could stay on scholarship, but their scholarship amounts and roster spots didn’t count toward the team’s regular numbers.

Whoa. That explains a lot of things.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Interesting and eye opening

GrizLawGrad said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I don't get it. What does it explain? Neither their scholarships nor their roster spots count towards the team's regular numbers....that seems like it frees up the team to go out and replace them while they remain on scholorship?

What am I missing?

Now that this team is all Bobby's, players will have to either produce or say goodbye. Scholarships will become available. Some young men won't be able to handle the every day pressure of school and sports.

AZGrizFan said:
GrizLawGrad said:

I don't get it. What does it explain? Neither their scholarships nor their roster spots count towards the team's regular numbers....that seems like it frees up the team to go out and replace them while they remain on scholorship?

What am I missing?

I think most of us were assuming that 10 to 12 scholarships were freed up and available from our seniors moving on, but it doesn’t sound like that is the case.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

What am I missing?

I think most of us were assuming that 10 to 12 scholarships were freed up and available from our seniors moving on, but it doesn’t sound like that is the case.

But if their scholarship amounts and roster spots DO NOT COUNT against the team's numbers, isn't that basically saying it DID free them up?

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

But if their scholarship amounts and roster spots DO NOT COUNT against the team's numbers, isn't that basically saying it DID free them up?
I interpreted it to say that we were allowed to go over the 63/85 scholarship limit for this season, and we now have to get back down to that number next season. I could be totally wrong about this, but that's how I read it.

Clear as Mud!! Seniors remain On scholly, no more eligibilty, have one more year on the roster due to pandemic. So why would they depart, and do they show up for Spring Ball??? What am I missing??

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Those 14 Seniors did not count for this last season, so they were in excess of the allowable. So them leaving doesn't free up spots moving forward.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Those 14 Seniors did not count for this last season, so they were in excess of the allowable. So them leaving doesn't free up spots moving forward.

Which explains why this signing class was so light on the highly regarded out of state guys we have typically seen in previous signing classes. Without the freeing up of 14 scollies from the outgoing Seniors, the actual number available is much smaller. Several of them have to be saved for the Transfer Portal, which is quite clearly going to be a big priority for the staff. I can't say I disagree at all with that plan, either. A potential 2 year starting transfer QB is much more valuable to this team than another freshman right now.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Correct, that is my understanding. There were no roster limits or scholarship limits for that class per Covid, so they were allowed to go over the normal limits (105, 85, 63) is my understanding. But this also means that any scholarship dollars that typically get freed up from seniors moving are not freed up this go round. At least that’s how I took it.

In the press conference yesterday Bobby said that we have 58 (I think that is the number he said) freshmen on the roster because of the Covid year. He basically said we do not need to get any younger. I took that to mean that pretty much everything else that happens recruiting wise this year was gong to be Juco players and transfer portal guys. Justin Greene said that anybody else they bring in thru the transfer route should be a potential starter.

84GRIZ said:
In the press conference yesterday Bobby said that we have 58 (I think that is the number he said) freshmen on the roster because of the Covid year. He basically said we do not need to get any younger. I took that to mean that pretty much everything else that happens recruiting wise this year was gong to be Juco players and transfer portal guys. Justin Greene said that anybody else they bring in thru the transfer route should be a potential starter.
It did seem like we had a lot of Freshmen and RS-Freshmen on the roster. Several needed to be called into service because of injuries which was a major story of the Griz team this year.
I saw where the NDSU Beezon had 24 signees which seems like a big difference. Do they normally keep a larger roster of total players than the us? Or is this just a case where they have a more Senior laden team than we did and needed more restocking of younger players?

behappp said:
84GRIZ said:
It did seem like we had a lot of Freshmen and RS-Freshmen on the roster. Several needed to be called into service because of injuries which was a major story of the Griz team this year.
I saw where the NDSU Beezon had 24 signees which seems like a big difference. Do they normally keep a larger roster of total players than the us? Or is this just a case where they have a more Senior laden team than we did and needed more restocking of younger players?

31 overall , 24 out of state kids

https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/1471147250122297344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1471147250122297344%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

behappp said:
84GRIZ said:

The NCAA has a boat load of roster rules that limit size to fall camp and regular season sizes. Moreover they limit the number of players receiving financial aid.

1. The FCS scholarship limit is 65 but it can be manipulated significantly. Based upon scholarship equivalents and the cost to fully fund a out of state student, the schools can divide them into 1/2 or 1/4ers for and if your player is an instate player that 1/2 scholarship effectively counts as a 1/4.
2. The FCS limits scholarship rosters to around 90 players, similar to that of the FBS. The pre-season and regular roster sizes are a bit different. The max roster for the regular season, including non scholarship is around 100 players.
3. The FBS is allowed to sign 25 players a year, but they can't divide them and their rolling average of their roster can't exceed 85 players on scholarship (4 year average) and they can roster up to 100 players on scholarship. They can exceed that 25 limit if their rolling average is lower than 25, but have to ensure their next year doesn't exceed the 4 year or the rolling average.

If NDSU had a lot of scholarships, it is likely that two things were true:
1) they held scholarships back at the end of last year in anticipation
2) they are likely overbudgeting scholarship offers knowing that there will likely be departures in the winter and spring. A lot of schools do this because they know kids are always going to leave and some years are larger than others.

Montana likely didn't because they didn't anticipate or don't anticipate outward migration and that they are looking towards the JC/Transfer portal to use 3-5 more scholarships, if not more.

I just checked out some of Eli Gilman's highlights, man this kid is going to be stud at RB. Best get of the class IMO.

Back