• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz OFFICAL Signing List

I don't understand the despair by some on here. If the cats had landed a few of these dudes we'd be freaking out. Gilman, Huot, Evans, Rostad....if we missed on those people would be upset. But....we didn't. They are signed as Griz. Give these kids a chance to get here and grow....No need for negativity right now. Huot has the best arm we've seen out of Montana in a long time. Big time get for the Griz.

I don't understand why everyone is so upset/surprised at the signings. They were all the guys who we previously knew verballed. Plenty of time to fill in the holes in either this signing period or the February one. Remember, Bobby got Kevin Macias in like mid August 2021. Building a team is Bobby's job. Any complaints about how he has done in previous years?

LaJollaGriz said:
Just a thought to ponder about our recruiting. We always hear about the incredible number of years of coaching experience our coordinators have. But that might be a negative when it comes to recruiting these 18 year old kids. Kids today have trouble relating to a 60 year old coach. And both of our coordinators are around that age or more. These kids want to have a coordinator who they can relate to, and it might be a stretch to think they can relate to a coach as old as their grandfather. Plus, do these older coaches have the same energy that the younger opposing coaches have for recruiting? Are they working as hard? Am I on the wrong track here?

You are probably right. It’s a good thought and I hope it’s something Coach Hauck is looking at.

Also, I live in western Montana, but for years Billings and Yellowstone County was a Griz recruiting mecca. Geez, I can’t remember how many Lebsock boys matriculated through WaGriz stadium. They have 3 AA high schools in the county, 2 Class A high schools, and another couple Class B schools. Why don’t we have a recruiter parked there permanently and grab these boys (and all of eastern Montana). We lost so many to the Cats this year. Last year we had Capser and then eventually scooped up Bergen in a coup. Before that it was Sulser and Gradney. Why can’t we do better than this out of Billings and surrounding communities?

it is interesting to read from all the "experts" about our recruiting class and how underwhelmed some of you are,. Be patient--it is early in recruiting and many transfers are going to be interested in the days and weeks ahead. Also, all of you negative nellies, look at the current roster of freshman and sophomores and see some of the big OL and DL there. The cupboard is far from bare and we have just had back to back 10 win seasons.

Another great class. Gilman and Alford look like they could both play right away. Got the majority of the best players in the state. Another signing period in February and free agent transfers coming soon. Hard to not be excited about this group. Of course some sleepers will emerge, as they do every year.

When recruiting and building depth you look at holes on the roster. The extra year will certainly help some our young guys be ready to go next year, but it can create a bit of a bottle neck as well. They are constantly evaluating the roster and determining where there are holes and where to fill those in so you can have a uniform amount of roster turnover from year to year and not have a drop off in experience from year to year.

A cursory look at our roster shows 12 freshman, redshirt freshman, sophomores and redshirt sophomores on our O Line. Just 2 Juniors. We have 12 freshman, redshirt freshman and sophomore on our D Line. 3 Juniors.

If we get some good freshmen that they feel are possible can't miss, I think they will jump on them. I am thinking they are looking more toward the likes of Forbes and Mayginnes. Guys with a couple of years behind them who are more ready to add depth and competition to the Sophomore/Junior area of the roster. I think you will see them looking at the same type of player for the DL.

I think our staff has decided to focus early recruiting on high school only, especially in state. I am sure they are actively recruiting now for the gaps they feel the roster has right now. Out of state guys who did not get the FBS offers they thought would come and the JC/Portal route for others.

These guys today will be a great backbone of this recruiting class. Enjoy it. Congratulate these kids and then wait to see what happens over the next 2 days for early signing and the next 2 months for late signing. There will also be some spring movement based on people who leave other programs after spring ball.

You have to like the trajectory this program has after the previous 5 years.

Merry Grizmas my fellow Griz fans.

I agree this class so far isn't very impressive. I'm not sure that it really matters with the transfer rules now. Why waste time recruiting a great freshman just to have him transfer to fbs after you spend time developing them? Wait get guys out of the portal or JC players. With the size of Griz fan base I'd think there should be more opportunities for nil deals for those players than almost any other fcs team.

https://gogriz.com/sports/football/roster/eli-gilman/6452

You would think they could, at least, spell his last name correctly...

I'll make this point and check out for the day:

This small class was tactical and if you listened to Bobby and others as far back as last spring, he was telling people that the next two recruiting classes are going to pose some challenges.

That being said, they are actively into the JC ranks and the transfer portal looking for good fits for the program. They need experience and not raw HS talent at a lot of positions and you aren't going to find that in the early window which has been predominately HS laden. They need an experienced QB, upper classmen on the OL, and veteran experience at DB. A LOT of those kids aren't going to be available until after term ends and final evals occur.

To that end it is a reminder that most JC and transfer kids can't be announced or won't be announced until they are admitted into school. That might not be until after terms have ended and grades posted for a lot of the JC/Transfer kids. They won't bring in kids that won't qualify. The enrollment deadline for second semester isn't for a while and has been a better indicator of transfer and JC kids than the early deadline has been.

Many are posting that they don't like this class, where's the beef they say. Deep dive shows on OL: 5 freshmen, 4 soph, 4 JR, 2 SR. total 15 OL, likely to add depth in the transfer portal. I for one am not worried. I've heard the young guys are coming along great.

D-line. 7 FR or true FR, 5 soph, 2 JR 3 sr. Again, I'm not worried. we are young and hungry!!

Keep in mind the logjam that the covid year caused. I'm confident in the recruiting and the coaching staff. At this level it is all about coaching the kids up and DEVELOPMENT!!!

Heard a Lincoln Reilly interview earlier this year where he said OU would put more emphasis on recruiting from the portal than high school because you’ve got kids who are stronger, understand the challenges of being a student athlete and have game ready experience.

Green: "6000 in the portal" :shock:

Hauck: "We don' need Freshman. We don't need to get younger."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEdkoJoV1PQ

I continue to be impressed by Coach Green. Really glad he came back to the U after his playing days in the NFL were over. He was truly fun to watch play for the Griz during his days as well. :clap:

Brother Bear said:
I continue to be impressed by Coach Green. Really glad he came back to the U after his playing days in the NFL were over. He was truly fun to watch play for the Griz during his days as well. :clap:

He is so valuable to the staff. How could a recruit not like him

grizfnz said:
Heard a Lincoln Reilly interview earlier this year where he said OU would put more emphasis on recruiting from the portal than high school because you’ve got kids who are stronger, understand the challenges of being a student athlete and have game ready experience.

This is the norm now. Recruit the blue chip high school athletes and then focus on the portal.

HelenaHandBasket said:
grizfnz said:

This is the norm now. Recruit the blue chip high school athletes and then focus on the portal.

And of course FCS schools will be able to compete with FBS schools for those athletes in the portal.

Spanky2 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

And of course FCS schools will be able to compete with FBS schools for those athletes in the portal.

Well, there are apparently around 6000 athletes in the portal.

Dawson Rudd, a stud OL and DL from Oklahoma is announcing tomorrow night. Follows some Griz coaches and vice versa. Retweets Griz stuff as well. Visited Missoula for a game. Wonder if we have a shot?

He has offers from South Dakota St, Weber St, SEMO, and others. Was 2-time defensive POTY for his district. He’s 6’6 270.

https://twitter.com/dawsonrudd20/status/1467179326349189122?s=21

Latest posts

Back