• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz OFFICAL Signing List

AZGrizFan said:
GrizLawGrad said:
Whoa. That explains a lot of things.

I don't get it. What does it explain? Neither their scholarships nor their roster spots count towards the team's regular numbers....that seems like it frees up the team to go out and replace them while they remain on scholorship?

What am I missing?

i'm with you, the post gives conflicting information.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:
I don't get it. What does it explain? Neither their scholarships nor their roster spots count towards the team's regular numbers....that seems like it frees up the team to go out and replace them while they remain on scholorship?

What am I missing?

It is not rocket science. They already are near the normal limits based on previous classes. For an example, after last years recruiting class, they had 63 FTE scholarship players + 14 additional seniors returning for another season. In this scenario, 63 FTE scholarships is the normal limit. So when the 14 seniors leave, they are still at the 63 FTE limit. This in theory means that they have 0 FTE for the next class. So to answer AZ question, they have already used those scholarships equivalencies.

argh! said:
AZGrizFan said:

What am I missing?

Our seniors "graduated" from counting against our numbers last year, allowing us to bring in a freshman class in 2020. Those seniors were still allowed to keep their scholarships and play this fall.

We essentially have no graduating seniors right now, which, as you can imagine, creates a rather sizable numbers crunch.

uofmman1122 said:
argh! said:
Our seniors "graduated" from counting against our numbers last year, allowing us to bring in a freshman class in 2020. Those seniors were still allowed to keep their scholarships and play this fall.

We essentially have no graduating seniors right now, which, as you can imagine, creates a rather sizable numbers crunch.

i get that, just the wording on the original post contradicted it, as pointed out by azgriz. whatever, though. i wonder how many guys will graduate 'early' because of the extra year, and move on with their lives? i'm thinking players like grossman, who will be a 5th year senior as a student but a redshirt sophomore as a player. who knows, maybe he'll look at those years left and decide to try fbs, as he's probably good enough.

argh! said:
uofmman1122 said:

i get that, just the wording on the original post contradicted it, as pointed out by azgriz. whatever, though. i wonder how many guys will graduate 'early' because of the extra year, and move on with their lives? i'm thinking players like grossman, who will be a 5th year senior as a student but a redshirt sophomore as a player. who knows, maybe he'll look at those years left and decide to try fbs, as he's probably good enough.

Guess I don't see the contradiction.

HelenaHandBasket said:
argh! said:

It is not rocket science. They already are near the normal limits based on previous classes. For an example, after last years recruiting class, they had 63 FTE scholarship players + 14 additional seniors returning for another season. In this scenario, 63 FTE scholarships is the normal limit. So when the 14 seniors leave, they are still at the 63 FTE limit. This in theory means that they have 0 FTE for the next class. So to answer AZ question, they have already used those scholarships equivalencies.

I guess I was under the impression those "extra" numbers were going to be carried through for the four classes....To end up with ZERO schollies to offer an incoming class? That doesn't seem right...

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I guess I was under the impression those "extra" numbers were going to be carried through for the four classes....To end up with ZERO schollies to offer an incoming class? That doesn't seem right...
It’s not exactly zero, but they had to plan for this last year, which was another class with mostly partial scholarship guys. But it’s true that the Griz didn’t gain any new free scholarships since signing day 2020 (minus guys that quit the team).

Grizfan-24 said:
behappp said:
It did seem like we had a lot of Freshmen and RS-Freshmen on the roster. Several needed to be called into service because of injuries which was a major story of the Griz team this year.
I saw where the NDSU Beezon had 24 signees which seems like a big difference. Do they normally keep a larger roster of total players than the us? Or is this just a case where they have a more Senior laden team than we did and needed more restocking of younger players?

The NCAA has a boat load of roster rules that limit size to fall camp and regular season sizes. Moreover they limit the number of players receiving financial aid.

1. The FCS scholarship limit is 65 but it can be manipulated significantly. Based upon scholarship equivalents and the cost to fully fund a out of state student, the schools can divide them into 1/2 or 1/4ers for and if your player is an instate player that 1/2 scholarship effectively counts as a 1/4.
2. The FCS limits scholarship rosters to around 90 players, similar to that of the FBS. The pre-season and regular roster sizes are a bit different. The max roster for the regular season, including non scholarship is around 100 players.
3. The FBS is allowed to sign 25 players a year, but they can't divide them and their rolling average of their roster can't exceed 85 players on scholarship (4 year average) and they can roster up to 100 players on scholarship. They can exceed that 25 limit if their rolling average is lower than 25, but have to ensure their next year doesn't exceed the 4 year or the rolling average.

If NDSU had a lot of scholarships, it is likely that two things were true:
1) they held scholarships back at the end of last year in anticipation
2) they are likely overbudgeting scholarship offers knowing that there will likely be departures in the winter and spring. A lot of schools do this because they know kids are always going to leave and some years are larger than others.

Montana likely didn't because they didn't anticipate or don't anticipate outward migration and that they are looking towards the JC/Transfer portal to use 3-5 more scholarships, if not more.

….and these last paragraphs might be the issue that we need to address as a program…not sure how other top 10 fcs programs are handling this. Bobby/Green sounded like in the press conference that they won’t go over. Why not if others are? Are we projecting enough that leave voluntary or are encouraged to move on? I hate to say it but maybe the top FCS programs are advising their redshirt junior/redshirt senior players the next fall that if they aren’t projected to be seeing the field per the staff’s view….especially if graduating soon…to move on. That’s the tough part to the business side of this.

Also, could we ever be possibly taking on too many partials that fill our numbers ? Many MT kids are in involved in these and contribute on special teams….so love seeing these kids get opportunities and help.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Well, there is never zero, but the jest is that the 14 seniors leaving doesn't just open 14 scholarships.

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:
Grizfan-24 said:
The NCAA has a boat load of roster rules that limit size to fall camp and regular season sizes. Moreover they limit the number of players receiving financial aid.

1. The FCS scholarship limit is 65 but it can be manipulated significantly. Based upon scholarship equivalents and the cost to fully fund a out of state student, the schools can divide them into 1/2 or 1/4ers for and if your player is an instate player that 1/2 scholarship effectively counts as a 1/4.
2. The FCS limits scholarship rosters to around 90 players, similar to that of the FBS. The pre-season and regular roster sizes are a bit different. The max roster for the regular season, including non scholarship is around 100 players.
3. The FBS is allowed to sign 25 players a year, but they can't divide them and their rolling average of their roster can't exceed 85 players on scholarship (4 year average) and they can roster up to 100 players on scholarship. They can exceed that 25 limit if their rolling average is lower than 25, but have to ensure their next year doesn't exceed the 4 year or the rolling average.

If NDSU had a lot of scholarships, it is likely that two things were true:
1) they held scholarships back at the end of last year in anticipation
2) they are likely overbudgeting scholarship offers knowing that there will likely be departures in the winter and spring. A lot of schools do this because they know kids are always going to leave and some years are larger than others.

Montana likely didn't because they didn't anticipate or don't anticipate outward migration and that they are looking towards the JC/Transfer portal to use 3-5 more scholarships, if not more.

….and these last paragraphs might be the issue that we need to address as a program…not sure how other top 10 fcs programs are handling this. Bobby/Green sounded like in the press conference that they won’t go over. Why not if others are? Are we projecting enough that leave voluntary or are encouraged to move on? I hate to say it but maybe the top FCS programs are advising their redshirt junior/redshirt senior players the next fall that if they aren’t projected to be seeing the field per the staff’s view….especially if graduating soon…to move on. That’s the tough part to the business side of this.

Also, could we ever be possibly taking on too many partials that fill our numbers ? Many MT kids are in involved in these and contribute on special teams….so love seeing these kids get opportunities and help.

NDSU gets a lot of kids to come in as walk-on with no money, redshirt, and earn a second year scholarship. Also keeps them at over 100 on roster. Power of building a winning program.

argh! said:
uofmman1122 said:

Kid could become the first player to get his PhD while playing football the whole time! :lol:

You should the WR Rainier HS commit the eagles got signed. 6’5”, 4.5- 40 speed receiver with offers from Colorado and Oregon State. His tape is impressive.

HookedonGriz said:
Dawson Rudd, a stud OL and DL from Oklahoma is announcing tomorrow night. Follows some Griz coaches and vice versa. Retweets Griz stuff as well. Visited Missoula for a game. Wonder if we have a shot?

He has offers from South Dakota St, Weber St, SEMO, and others. Was 2-time defensive POTY for his district. He’s 6’6 270.

https://twitter.com/dawsonrudd20/status/1467179326349189122?s=21

Damn, he chose South Dakota State. Was hoping to see him in maroon and silver.

Gonna be tough to compete against recruiting classes like this:

https://gobison.com/news/2021/12/15/north-dakota-state-adds-31-on-football-early-signing-day.aspx

I opined 3 years ago that the Griz should recruit in the heartland but was generally rebuked with so many phony reasons why it could never happen I just let it go.

sdk.catfish said:

https://gobison.com/news/2021/12/15/north-dakota-state-adds-31-on-football-early-signing-day.aspx

I opined 3 years ago that the Griz should recruit in the heartland but was generally rebuked with so many phony reasons why it could never happen I just let it go.

Why do you say that? Are these all-world players? A bunch of 3 and 4 star players? We won't know squat about this NDSU class for 3-4 years....

AZGrizFan said:
sdk.catfish said:

Why do you say that? Are these all-world players? A bunch of 3 and 4 star players? We won't know squat about this NDSU class for 3-4 years....

They have a ton of OL and DL recruits

AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

If you really feel that the potential for the NDSU 2021 class and Hauck's 2021 class are equal then I guess you better roll with that opinion. Lots of reasons why that might not be but if you don't wan't to entertain them no reason for me to say more.

sdk.catfish said:
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

If you really feel that the potential for the NDSU 2021 class and Hauck's 2021 class are equal then I guess you better roll with that opinion. Lots of reasons why that might not be but if you don't wan't to entertain them no reason for me to say more.

I'm honestly asking....how do you KNOW it's going to be hard to compete with that class?

Does anybody on EGriz really "Know" anything. It's an opinion board man and its my opinion that the NDSU class has far more potential to compete down the road that the Griz class (or Cat class for that matter). If that's not your opinion I can live with that

sdk.catfish said:
Does anybody on EGriz really "Know" anything. It's an opinion board man and its my opinion that the NDSU class has far more potential to compete down the road that the Griz class (or Cat class for that matter). If that's not your opinion I can live with that

I'm just genuinely curious what it is that leads you to that opinion. If you don't care to share your logic, that's fine. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back