• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Has Mountain West Been a 1-Bid Conference in Past 3 years?

Bracketology has Utah State as the 5th out - so squarely on the bubble...

Even if they DON'T make it, the MWC is in position to get multiple bids.

dbackjon said:

If by “multiple” you mean two, I can agree. But I’m not seeing more than Nevada and Utah State with a chance. The USU win at Fresno State helps them a lot, but they still have two tough road games to get by. Conversely, Fresno’s loss at home is probably a deal-breaker for them.

But beyond those two, I’m not seeing much. By the rankings:
Code:
			NET	SOS	RPI	BPI
Nevada (21-1)		14	98	12	18
Utah State (17-5)	37	121	46	48
Fresno State (15-6)	84	174	110	65
SDSU (12-9)		155	195	159	127
BSU (9-12)		149	135	187	131
Even Nevada has to deal with a crappy SOS. That’s going hurt them badly on their seed, I think. And with their even weaker SOS, I’d say Utah State probably has to win most of its remaining games to be in the mix for an at-large bid. The good news for them: They probably can go at least 6-2 the rest of the way.

IdaGriz01 said:
dbackjon said:

If by “multiple” you mean two, I can agree. But I’m not seeing more than Nevada and Utah State with a chance. The USU win at Fresno State helps them a lot, but they still have two tough road games to get by. Conversely, Fresno’s loss at home is probably a deal-breaker for them.

Code:
			NET	SOS	RPI	BPI
Even Nevada has to deal with a crappy SOS. That’s going hurt them badly on their seed, I think. And with their even weaker SOS, I’d say Utah State probably has to win most of its remaining games to be in the mix for an at-large bid. The good news for them: They probably can go at least 6-2 the rest of the way.

Two is most likely. If say Fresno beat Utah State in the finals to claim the auto-bid, Nevada is in securely at this point. Utah State would be bubble, and depend as much on how other bubble teams do from and then.

But they are in position to do so. Big Sky is one bid regardless.

Sooooo, 3 full pages in we've concluded that the MWC is a vastly superior conference to the bsc in every shape, form, and manner.

Well okay, then.

dbackjon said:
Two is most likely. If say Fresno beat Utah State in the finals to claim the auto-bid, Nevada is in securely at this point. Utah State would be bubble, and depend as much on how other bubble teams do from and then.
My thoughts exactly. Utah State must keep winning and hope some of the other bubble sitters don't.

But Utah State also has some challenges. There next game is at SDSU. The Aztecs were 7-4 at home in their OOC schedule and they have not lost a conference game at home. The other teams on the USU schedule are not as tough as SDSU, but they cannot be overlooked.

dbackjon said:
IdaGriz01 said:
dbackjon said:

Code:
			NET	SOS	RPI	BPI

But they are in position to do so. Big Sky is one bid regardless.

Don't think MW will get in more than Nevada, unless Nevada were to get upset in the tourney.

Sorry, but MW has pretty much become a one-bid conference, at least for now.

EverettGriz said:
Sooooo, 3 full pages in we've concluded that the MWC is a vastly superior conference to the bsc in every shape, form, and manner.

Well okay, then.

Where has it been concluded that the MW is a vastly superior conference? It's been pretty so-so in the last 4 years. The only bright spot is Nevada this year.

If it's so vastly superior, why did you say that UM would have gotten in the tourney from the MW last year and would again this year? You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Well okay, then.

Where has it been concluded that the MW is a vastly superior conference? It's been pretty so-so in the last 4 years. The only bright spot is Nevada this year.

If it's so vastly superior, why did you say that UM would have gotten in the tourney from the MW last year and would again this year? You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

The MWC conference has three teams rated far higher than the BSC best. MWC has a chance at multiple bids. The Big Sky does not. The MWC has a chance at a good seed. The Big Sky will be lucky to get a 14 seed, likely a 15.

dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Well okay, then.

The MWC conference has three teams rated far higher than the BSC best. MWC has a chance at multiple bids. The Big Sky does not. The MWC has a chance at a good seed. The Big Sky will be lucky to get a 14 seed, likely a 15.

Who cares? It is highly unlikely that the MW will get more than one bid, unless Nevada gets upset in the conference tourney. Feel free to show all the brackets that select 2 teams from the MW.

I assume you are an NAU fan. When is NAU going to start qb club or something similar? Heard they didn't even have that. You may want to focus on your school's inadequacies instead pf spending so much time spouting off about the M.

The top conference RPI ranking is the Big 12, with a .605 rating.

The MW is 16th, with a rating of .496.

Ivy is 10th. A10 and Southern are 11th and 12th. MV is 14th.

The Big Sky is 25th at .456.

32 conferences.

dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Well okay, then.

Please name the 3 MW teams that are rated far higher than the BSC best. Should we agree to use the RPI?

PlayerRep said:
dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Well okay, then.

Who cares? It is highly unlikely that the MW will get more than one bid, unless Nevada gets upset in the conference tourney. Feel free to show all the brackets that select 2 teams from the MW.

I assume you are an NAU fan. When is NAU going to start qb club or something similar? Heard they didn't even have that. You may want to focus on your school's inadequacies instead pf spending so much time spouting off about the M.

Getting defensive now I see. NAU is what it is, not the primary school for the state, a teachers college that has turned into a very good University. But without professional schools like Law, Medicine etc.

Spouting off about the M? Mountain? Didn't see anything bad about Montana.

Oh well, continue to stick your head in the sand.

PlayerRep said:
dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Well okay, then.

Please name the 3 MW teams that are rated far higher than the BSC best. Should we agree to use the RPI?

Nevada, Utah State and Fresno.

Sure use RPI

Nevada 17
Utah State 39
Fresno State 65 (+10.50)

Montana 121 (+4.90)

dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Well okay, then.

Forget it, db. You're wasting your time. This is just pr saying clueless pr shit. Next he'll try to divert to a different subject altogether. It's what he does when he's proven wrong (e.g. 98% of his posts).

PlayerRep said:
dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Well okay, then.

HAHAHAHAAH!!! Right on cue! You're nothing if not fully predictable.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
dbackjon said:
Nevada, Utah State and Fresno.

Sure use RPI

Nevada 17
Utah State 39
Fresno State 65 (+10.50)

Montana 121 (+4.90)
Today's rankings (NET) - NCAA no longer uses RPI:

Nevada 12
Utah State 46
Montana 99
Fresno State 110

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-team
More NCAA bullshit … since they won’t tell any outsider how they calculate the NET numbers to determine a ranking. That makes it harder to compare mathematically because we don’t know the actual values, we only know the rank number.

For the RPI, rank #100 (the Griz rank as of this moment at RealTimeRPI) is 0.5437 while #90 is 0.5477 … a difference of only 4 in the third decimal point. We don’t know, but it’s likely that comparable numbers also show up in the NET calculation. So small differences in the actual calculated number can lead to (apparently) big differences in the ranking.

Just so you know, there is a 91% correlation (using the term loosely) between the NET rank and the RPI rank. That is considered “very highly correlated” in stat-talk. Put another way, if you know the RPI rank, the NET rank will most likely be within 20-30 of that number ... in a list that has 353 teams.

(MATH ALERT: The spreadsheet R-Squared value for these two variables is 0.9079.)

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:

HAHAHAHAAH!!! Right on cue! You're nothing if not fully predictable.

Actually, you are right on cue. A post with absolutely zero substance. Showing once again your absolute lack of knowledge about basketball and football, as well as Griz athletics. Missed you at the football event today. Been texting with Bobby tonight. How about you?

dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:
dbackjon said:
PlayerRep said:

Getting defensive now I see. NAU is what it is, not the primary school for the state, a teachers college that has turned into a very good University. But without professional schools like Law, Medicine etc.

Spouting off about the M? Mountain? Didn't see anything bad about Montana.

Oh well, continue to stick your head in the sand.

Huh? Could your rephrase or summarize your post, but this time in some readable form?

Back