• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Has Mountain West Been a 1-Bid Conference in Past 3 years?

dbackjon said:
Current NET Rankings:
Nevada 13
Utah State 39
Fresno State 76

Montana 113

San Diego State 145
Boise State 150
UNLV 156

Weber 170

New Mexico 176

No Colo 183

CSU 197

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Who do you think will make the ncaa tourney?

Fresno State? 17-6 and 8-3. Have to play Nevada and Ssn Diego St on road. And San Jose St. and Boise St.

I don't see Fresno making the ncaa tourney unless they win the conf tourney.

I sure hope the MW isn't a one-bid conf again.

Nevada is a lock
Utah State is on the bubble.
Others would need to win the conference tourney.

Exactly same situation as last week.

All three are rated much higher than Montana.

dbackjon said:
Nevada is a lock

I see that percentages of making the tourney are:

Nevada - 99.9%
Montana - 50.1%
Utah - 30.2%
Fresno -10.9%

My goal for UM is to make the tourney, not to have a high "RPI".

PlayerRep said:
dbackjon said:
Nevada is a lock

Nevada - 99.9%
Montana - 50.1%
Utah - 30.2%
Fresno -10.9%

Montana has a better shot at the tourney because SOMEBODY has to go from the BSC. And Montana is leading the league.

If Akoh is out, that percentage will drop fast.

And if USU makes it, they will be an 11 or 12 seed.

Figured I’d resurrect this old thread rather than start a new one.

I was updating my basketball database today, just getting somewhat started on my bid-prediction game, and a couple things stood out.

First, the Griz are hanging in there better than I expected, given the weakness of the Big Sky. That is, their NET rank is now sitting at #106, their RPI at #83. (The SOS sucks at #241, so it’s still “win or go home/NIT” for the conference tournament.)

In the Mountain West, Nevada is almost certainly a “lock” already for an NCAA bid, and will absolutely be one if they win one or two more games. Their NET and RPI ranks are, coincidentally, the same … at #18. That’s really good, but the process I use goes more on total wins versus the overall strength of a team’s conference. The problem is, Nevada’s SOS is not good, at #110.

Utah State is sitting at #37 NET, #40 RPI, with an SOS of #127. That might get them an at-large bid if they win a couple more regular season games. Which they could do, since they are at home for Nevada and SDSU, and then play Colorado State on the road. No other team in the MW has any chance unless they win the conference tournament. But if someone other than Nevada wins the tournament, I’m betting the MW still gets only two bids. (The “experts” are talking about 5-6-7 teams from more than one of the power conferences … severely cutting the chances for bubble teams from the weaker conferences.)

And, FWIW, the correlation between the NET and the old RPI has increased slightly -- now over 92% -- as the season has progressed. The NCAA spent a lot of money for no real gain in predictability … just so they could hide the process from outsiders. Typical.

PlayerRep said:
dbackjon said:
Nevada is a lock

Nevada - 99.9%
Montana - 50.1%
Utah - 30.2%
Fresno -10.9%

Those are very exact. :lol: Would love to see your “work”.

dbackjon said:
Nevada is a lock
Utah State may well have moved out of the bubble status -- or at least vastly improved it -- with a home win tonight against Nevada. If either of them wins the conference tournament, my current expectation is that both would get bids. But if someone else sneaks in (like SDSU or Fresno), then things get dicey because I just don't see enough at-large spots for the MW to get three bids.

There was action in the hallway after the game between people from both teams. Not necessarily players. A Nevada player punched the glass in a fire alarm or something. Yup, a 2 bid conference this year.

IdaGriz01 said:
dbackjon said:
Nevada is a lock
Utah State may well have moved out of the bubble status -- or at least vastly improved it -- with a home win tonight against Nevada. If either of them wins the conference tournament, my current expectation is that both would get bids. But if someone else sneaks in (like SDSU or Fresno), then things get dicey because I just don't see enough at-large spots for the MW to get three bids.

I would agree - huge win for Utah State. As of now, Lunardi has Utah State as an 11 seed, not even on the bubble.

Nevada dropped to a 5 seed.

dbackjon said:
IdaGriz01 said:
dbackjon said:
Nevada is a lock
I would agree - huge win for Utah State. As of now, Lunardi has Utah State as an 11 seed, not even on the bubble.

Nevada dropped to a 5 seed.
For me, the only surprise here is that Nevada didn't get "punished" for a loss as much as I thought they would.

Back