• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Does EWU Do It?

I know a lot of coaches in Washington State - it's their camp system - hands down the best in the region and they use it to their advantage. Their coaching staff also makes themselves available to the High School coaches in the region throughout the year and they do a great job of passive recruiting. - they put coaches in the stands on Friday nights.

I have a Nephew that is a HS QB. - He has been to every QB camp in 5 states (WA, MT, OR, Cali, ID) and Eastern stands out even though essentially in his backyard... I'd assume if offered a ride, he will go there.

just some thoughts from a Griz Fan and Proud uncle -

Note to staff- when you have a one day QB/WR camp - run your camp int he Stadium not the NEZ tailgate area.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
mcg said:
For the last 10 or so EWU has had the best football team in the BSC. It is often put forth that the key elements in maintaining a top level football program is excellent facilities and coaching stability. EWU has neither, so how have they consistently stayed at the top of the league.

Please note that my intent here is to learn something and perhaps stimulate some discussion, not ignite a back and forth trash-talk-derby.

Recruiting and not really changing the offense or defensive schemes when there are changes on the coaching staff. They still run the same drills and their practices are the same even though there's a different position coach year after year. They're a lot like that group of Northern Iowa coaches who are the core of the NDSU staff now at Wyoming and Kansas State in that they do everything the same day after day.

It's called discipline fellas.

AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Same with NDSU...theyve had a decade straight of NFL QBs on an FCS roster.

Well, lets not get carried away here. Wentz? Yes. Jensen? Not so much....Stick? The jury is still out.

Jensen made it to the NFL tho. Thats what Im saying, they were NFL talent..as in they made it on NFL teams.

Incorrect. UDFA, signed after the 2014 draft. Released 7/28/14. Signed again 8/5/14, released again 8/11/14. Never "made the team". Never saw action in a game. Never was on a 53 man roster. And played in the CFL for just two seasons after that before being released. Saying Jensen "made it to the NFL" is like saying Brady Gustafson "made it to the NFL"...

Hmm, I thought Jensen was on a preseason roster?

I worked at EWU for over 18 years and spent a bit of time around the football program. I was also at every home game as part of my job. Here are my thoughts.

EWU Football and Gonzaga Basketball have shared a similar recipe for success. They created a winning culture before they were super successful, took a chance on small town kids, promoted coaches from within the program and established an identity for the player they were looking for. The EKG’s or “Eastern Kind of Guy” wasn’t just a marketing cliche’. They had criteria they looked for in recruits- Gritty, competitive, high character, team first focus, still try to play even if they can’t walk kind of guy. Heart and character was more important than athletic ability, although the results of the last decade now attract top tier talent.

Building a winning program is an elusive thing, and it’s hard to define. Something clicked for EWU, but like Gonzaga, you have to go back to the era before all the success to find the initial spark. Dan Fitzgerald started the spark for Gonzaga during his second coaching tenure. Coach Zornes started the spark for EWU. The momentum grew slowly at first with both programs but then they started to have breakthrough moments. Will EWU be able to sustain it for over 20 years like Gonzaga has? I have no idea, but it’s been a fun ride.

The Griz obviously have an amazing legacy in the Big Sky. Everything is cyclical and EWU's success will decrease at some point. All we can do is enjoy our teams successes when we have them, pull for them when they are in a downturn, and start each season with complete optimisim that this is "the" year.

Have a great season!

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Recruiting and not really changing the offense or defensive schemes when there are changes on the coaching staff. They still run the same drills and their practices are the same even though
there's a different position coach year after year. They're a lot like that group of Northern Iowa coaches who are the core of the NDSU staff now at Wyoming and Kansas State in that they do everything the same day after day.

Stability. They got something that works, and they stick with it. No fixing what ain't broke. :thumb:

Meanwhile, at UM: two ADs, three new coaching staffs and schemes, two U Presidents, hostile hometown newspaper and a town deeply divided, in just eight years. Bobby gets the call to come home and fix this mess. Don't know if NDSU, SDSU, EWU, or other successful schools has hired a total boob for its President. But that takes time to determine. Took a couple years at UM...

PDXGrizzly said:
This is egriz, so good luck with that...

As for EWU, being able to recruit athletes that may not otherwise academically qualify helps. Also, identifying good coaching talent from the sea of mediocrity is vastly important. That’s on the EWU Athletic Director.

Not enough fans know about this...but it plays a major role in their lack of player turnover and ability to recruit a wider range of athletes.

VimSince03 said:
PDXGrizzly said:

As for EWU, being able to recruit athletes that may not otherwise academically qualify helps. Also, identifying good coaching talent from the sea of mediocrity is vastly important. That’s on the EWU Athletic Director.

Not enough fans know about this...but it plays a major role in their lack of player turnover and ability to recruit a wider range of athletes.

Yep. Truly an unfair advantage.

CDAGRIZ said:
tourist said:
If Chris Murray had chosen EWU, he'd still be playing.

He'd likely be an academic All-American.

Lofty praise, CDA. But I have a feeling "Big Ol' Engine Repair 301" might have tripped him up a little. Take a B in that course and then things don't get any easier with "Briggs and Stratton Oil Changes 395" looming on the horizon.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
tourist said:

Lofty praise, CDA. But I have a feeling "Big Ol' Engine Repair 301" might have tripped him up a little. Take a B in that course and then things don't get any easier with "Briggs and Stratton Oil Changes 395" looming on the horizon.

Fair points. Stern, but fair.

EverettGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
PDXGrizzly said:

Not sure I would label it as unfair.

grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
PDXGrizzly said:

Am sure that I would. C'mon, man. You can't have Last Chance U in the same conference as respectable institutions without recognizing this.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:
VimSince03 said:

Am sure that I would. C'mon, man. You can't have Last Chance U in the same conference as respectable institutions without recognizing this.

Thing is, others could do it also because it is not against the rules. Hence, it is a big advantage, but I won't label it unfair.

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
EverettGriz said:

Thing is, others could do it also because it is not against the rules. Hence, it is a big advantage, but I won't label it unfair.

Man, don't I know it. In the 2008-2010 range, I personally witnessed UCLA being allowed 5 "special" admits for football. Five. During that time, Berkeley was allowed 25 specials for football. At the time, it was viewed as a way to keep the flagship relevant on the field. Personally, I think a conference could and should regulate the amount of special admits eligible to play sports, but that's just me.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
tourist said:

:lol: :lol: :clap:

I would suggest, though most would dis it, that you all way underestimate Academic opportunity at EWU..... They have spent considerable time and money bolstering their academics particularly in Business and Health sciences. Their graduates are graduating with less debt and higher salaries than U of M not to mention how much cheaper than UW and WSU they are.

tnt said:
I would suggest, though most would dis it, that you all way underestimate Academic opportunity at EWU..... They have spent considerable time and money bolstering their academics particularly in Business and Health sciences. Their graduates are graduating with less debt and higher salaries than U of M not to mention how much cheaper than UW and WSU they are.

Truthfully, undergraduate degrees are about the same everywhere--including Dartmouth. :-D

Back