• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Does EWU Do It?

CDAGRIZ said:
footballdood said:
I sense a lot of butthurt from emanating from UM fans over NDSU.

Oh and it's not like UM is Harvard of the West... They're not even in the same league as UC Davis! If UM fans really think that the reason for EWU's dominance has to do with academics.... Well, you probably also think Trump was a successful businessman.

I sense a lot of fans of other teams scrolling and posting on eGriz even though “the Griz haven’t been relevant in a decade.”

They haven’t been. It has been a decade since the Griz fielded a team with a legitimate top 5 team and they have missed the playoffs more than they have made it.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
footballdood said:

Oh and it's not like UM is Harvard of the West... They're not even in the same league as UC Davis! If UM fans really think that the reason for EWU's dominance has to do with academics.... Well, you probably also think Trump was a successful businessman.

I sense a lot of fans of other teams scrolling and posting on eGriz even though “the Griz haven’t been relevant in a decade.”

They haven’t been. It has been a decade since the Griz fielded a team with a legitimate top 5 team and they have missed the playoffs more than they have made it.
Well done. 6:37 AM and already posted on another FCS team’s board. Not your team or even one that is in the same conference as your team.

Ursa Major said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
footballdood said:

Well done. 6:37 AM and already posted on another FCS team’s board. Not your team or even one that is in the same conference as your team.

Sitting in the airport and waiting to depart Colorado.

Yep, same goes for NDSU. Not in your conference nor your team, yet you guys talk about them All The Fucking Time.

I’m not a Griz fan, but I do live here and attend games with coworkers because I enjoy watching college football.

Ursa Major said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
footballdood said:

Don’t you get it? He likes to post here because he thinks it’s entertaining, likes staying updated on CFB, and isn’t obsessed with the Griz at all. Watch him post again just to prove it.

Edit: Too late! Hahaha!!!

2011BisonAlumni said:
Ursa Major said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Sitting in the airport and waiting to depart Colorado.

Yep, same goes for NDSU. Not in your conference nor your team, yet you guys talk about them All The Fucking Time.

I’m not a Griz fan, but I do live here and attend games with coworkers because I enjoy watching college football.
There is zero equivalency here between this board making fun of UNDSU and your frequent visits here. Do you see that?

Your basic premise—You guys talk about UNDSU all the time here—especially after I (or another fat) comment on UNDSU. Is so fucking ironic given that you’re posting on EGriz in a thread about ewu.

On top of this, you’re a shitty fan who doesn’t watch his team play because you live out of state and go to another team’s games that you’re not a fan of.

Next time you’re in an airport and bored just do us all a favor and converse with your seatbelt extender about how great NDSU is.

kemajic said:
tnt said:
UM excels in the sciences. Trouble is most is prep for grad school not employment or needed STEM related jobs.
That is a strength of UM, not "trouble." Jobs do not have to occur after undergraduate school. Many of the finer jobs require a graduate education and UM has done a very good job of preparing STEM students for advancement. When I started a Ph.D program in chemistry at a PAC school after a UM B.S., I was far ahead of those from the big schools that put their energy in grad. programs at the expense of their undergrad programs.

It was a strength when you and I went to grad school. Harold Urey, a physical chemist, who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1934 was still fresh in everyone's memory (not unlike our 1995 FB National Championship is to fans today) and most of us who went on received graduate assistantships or fellowships or worked a great job for a few years. A chemistry degree then, especially if it was from a "good" school opened a lot of doors. As you said, now, the better jobs (if any job) requires a grad degree. But those fellowships and grad assistantships are long gone for most grad students these days and grad school is merely an extension of an undergrad program. With average student debt is now $38,000+ not counting credit card debt etc. As a result Grad school is something that comes later if at all. You and I likely graduated with NO debt and multiple jobs waiting. Today's job market is a lot different. Most good tech jobs don't require a grad degree (if they require a degree at all) What they do require is very industry-specific training. (sorta like engineering) Schools that offer such are flourishing. Those that don't and are living in the past (like UM) our struggling with an old and outdated model. Even our Business school is falling behind - Marketing and finance just aren't enough anymore. Even IT has compartmentalized. What UM has held onto is a Liberal Arts base. IT has moved into more and more Social Networking. Trouble is most of these guys are introverts with a very narrow focus. Now, what could possibly go wrong with introverts designing Social Networks of all manner? A broad Liberal Arts education helps - a bunch. I think Bodnar gets it. I hope he does. If not maybe a meeting with Mary Cullinan and Waded Cruzado could wake us up that Royce's Academic model is indeed dead.

CatzWillRise said:
EWU fans get disgruntled every time I mention it, but they have benefited from Prop 48 non-qualifiers...

So I'll ask you the same question Catzwillrize. Name one contributor with EWU that would not have qualified academically to play for the Cats or Griz? Its been a while.

CatzWillRise said:
EWU fans get disgruntled every time I mention it, but they have benefited from Prop 48 non-qualifiers...

I’d rather be gruntled than disgruntled. :cool:

CDAGRIZ said:
footballdood said:

I see you don't disagree with me though.

VimSince03 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
This is egriz, so good luck with that...

As for EWU, being able to recruit athletes that may not otherwise academically qualify helps. Also, identifying good coaching talent from the sea of mediocrity is vastly important. That’s on the EWU Athletic Director.

Not enough fans know about this...but it plays a major role in their lack of player turnover and ability to recruit a wider range of athletes.

What kids on EWU's roster wouldn't have been admitted to UM or MSU? Eastern has taken a flier on the Academic disqualifier, maybe a couple times in the past decade,but I don't believe EWU has had a kid like that in the past few years...and as someone pointed out earlier, the admission requirements are pretty similar across the board...

marceagfan5 said:
VimSince03 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
This is egriz, so good luck with that...

As for EWU, being able to recruit athletes that may not otherwise academically qualify helps. Also, identifying good coaching talent from the sea of mediocrity is vastly important. That’s on the EWU Athletic Director.

Not enough fans know about this...but it plays a major role in their lack of player turnover and ability to recruit a wider range of athletes.

What kids on EWU's roster wouldn't have been admitted to UM or MSU? Eastern has taken a flier on the Academic disqualifier, maybe a couple times in the past decade,but I don't believe EWU has had a kid like that in the past few years...and as someone pointed out earlier, the admission requirements are pretty similar across the board...

EWU has made some big strides in their academic programs in the last few years. They now have an ABET accredited engineering program in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, that is no small task.

CatzWillRise said:

We will take the Cooper Kupps over the Chris Murray’s any day of the week...

Eastern and the prop 48 discussion is a thing of the past and even then it was like 1 kid every couple years...

marceagfan5 said:
CatzWillRise said:

Eastern and the prop 48 discussion is a thing of the past and even then it was like 1 kid every couple years...

Taiwan Jones, TJ Lee, Renard Williams, David Gaylord, Ronald Baines, Anthony Larry - all recent non-qualifiers.

I don't know why you guys get so salty when this is brought up. Even if it is just 1 kid every couple of years, that kid might be Taiwan Jones or Renard Williams, both if memory serves were All-Americans.

There's nothing wrong with doing this (correctly, as EWU did find out in 2009). But you're just being naive if you don't think it's an advantage, even if slight.

CatzWillRise said:
marceagfan5 said:
CatzWillRise said:

Taiwan Jones, TJ Lee, Renard Williams, David Gaylord, Ronald Baines, Anthony Larry - all recent non-qualifiers.

I don't know why you guys get so salty when this is brought up. Even if it is just 1 kid every couple of years, that kid might be Taiwan Jones or Renard Williams, both if memory serves were All-Americans.

There's nothing wrong with doing this (correctly, as EWU did find out in 2009). But you're just being naive if you don't think it's an advantage, even if slight.

I agree, no need to get salty when the EAGS own MSU. Something like 32-10 for the all time series.

GoldenEagle said:
CatzWillRise said:
marceagfan5 said:
CatzWillRise said:

I agree, no need to get salty when the EAGS own MSU. Something like 32-10 for the all time series.

I kud nott agreee moore!

Deckstair Manlly

LINEMEN......Who controls the line of scrimmage wins. You look at NDSU and all of their OL and DL are FBS Big 5 caliber lineman. EWU is close to that as well. When the Griz were dominating, we were getting more linemen into the NFL than other positions. With a great line all of your O-backs, WRs, and D-backs shine.

Back