• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Does EWU Do It?

tnt said:
I would suggest, though most would dis it, that you all way underestimate Academic opportunity at EWU..... They have spent considerable time and money bolstering their academics particularly in Business and Health sciences. Their graduates are graduating with less debt and higher salaries than U of M not to mention how much cheaper than UW and WSU they are.

I would suggest, you are not talking about the same thing as others.

tnt said:
I would suggest, though most would dis it, that you all way underestimate Academic opportunity at EWU..... They have spent considerable time and money bolstering their academics particularly in Business and Health sciences. Their graduates are graduating with less debt and higher salaries than U of M not to mention how much cheaper than UW and WSU they are.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think that's possible, tnt. Tell us more about the . . . bwaha . . . academic opportunity at . . . ha aha ah . . . Eastern Washington. Spray farting on a Scantron to get in excluded.

grizindabox said:
tnt said:

I would suggest, you are not talking about the same thing as others.

I would suggest, you are correct.

You could start with admission requirements

EWU:
Have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 (or higher) on a 4.0 scale.
Earn a minimum SAT score of 1100 or a
minimum ACT composite score of 24.

U of M: (MSU the same BTW)
An ACT composite score of 22.
or a SAT combined score of 1120 (1540 for tests prior to March 2016)
or a 2.50 cumulative grade-point average (or upper half of graduatingclass)

Similar but slightly lower at U of M. EWU is not exactly last Chance U could it be U of M? Hard to tell. Strange as it may seem many of most Students attend college with at least the thought of completing a degree and academic programs do matter. Perhaps the lack of STEM at U of M has something to do with its 35% enrollment decline and the added emphasis at EWU of stem reversed several years of decline and had substantial increases the past few. Or maybe its the new Health Sciences Center in Spokane Riverfrontor Perhaps the new Business Inovation Hub Building/program? Dunno. Could it be Royces fault for gutting everything?

But lower academics is not the reason for EWUs success.......

tnt said:
You could start with admission requirements

EWU:
Have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 (or higher) on a 4.0 scale.
Earn a minimum SAT score of 1100 or a
minimum ACT composite score of 24.

U of M: (MSU the same BTW)
An ACT composite score of 22.
or a SAT combined score of 1120 (1540 for tests prior to March 2016)
or a 2.50 cumulative grade-point average (or upper half of graduatingclass)

Similar but slightly lower at U of M. EWU is not exactly last Chance U could it be U of M? Hard to tell. Strange as it may seem many of most Students attend college with at least the thought of completing a degree and academic programs do matter. Perhaps the lack of STEM at U of M has something to do with its 35% enrollment decline and the added emphasis at EWU of stem reversed several years of decline and had substantial increases the past few. Or maybe its the new Health Sciences Center in Spokane Riverfrontor Perhaps the new Business Inovation Hub Building/program? Dunno. Could it be Royces fault for gutting everything?

But lower academics is not the reason for EWUs success.......

Another poster touting lack of STEM at UM. The only category UM is lacking is engineering. They have Science, Tech and Math degree programs.

It appears that STEM at ewu isn’t helping enrollment enough to prevent some fairly significant faculty layoffs.

You have to look where those layoffs have occurred at EWU. Much different that the across the board layoffs happening elsewhere. STEM is more than science math etc. There is little call for mathematicians, chemists , or biologists. Coders engineers nurse medical technologists (of all types) is a different matter. UM excels in the sciences. Trouble is most is prep for grad school not employment or needed STEM related jobs. Even our business school is living 20 years in the past. It's not just a UM problem. We are bringing in this professions from overseas.

tnt said:
You have to look where those layoffs have occurred at EWU. Much different that the across the board layoffs happening elsewhere. STEM is more than science math etc. There is little call for mathematicians, chemists , or biologists. Coders engineers nurse medical technologists (of all types) is a different matter. UM excels in the sciences. Trouble is most is prep for grad school not employment or needed STEM related jobs. Even our business school is living 20 years in the past. It's not just a UM problem. We are bringing in this professions from overseas.

The wild thing about all of this is how it has nothing to do with how EWU consistently brings in the dumbs who can run a skinny post and catch it in traffic.

Sure it does. EWU is kicking our ass on the FB field, turned around their enrollment, has their grads earning more than ours and has surpassed our admission standards contrary to what some here are rationalizing. So has "State" Could it be leadership? Will our recent changes in that area turn it around or is it too late? Perhaps it isn't EWU doing so well as the star of this thread indicated, but rather its we have been doing so poorly and we just gave them the improvement and consistency.

CDA, I think EWU may have had a few non qualifiers in the past but following them the last 10 years I think they have made a push in their program to recruit good students. I challenge you to name a contributor on this years team that would not have qualified academically on the Griz roster. I'd hate to think that Griz fans are making excuses as to why Eastern has dominated them this past decade.

bitterrootobserver said:
CDA, I think EWU may have had a few non qualifiers in the past but following them the last 10 years I think they have made a push in their program to recruit good students. I challenge you to name a contributor on this years team that would not have qualified academically on the Griz roster. I'd hate to think that Griz fans are making excuses as to why Eastern has dominated them this past decade.

I’m losing that challenge, because I can’t name a player on their roster. I just know they are mostly dullards. Post all the stats about EWU you want, but it doesn’t change the name of the “school”.

tnt said:
Sure it does. EWU is kicking our ass on the FB field, turned around their enrollment, has their grads earning more than ours and has surpassed our admission standards contrary to what some here are rationalizing. So has "State" Could it be leadership? Will our recent changes in that area turn it around or is it too late? Perhaps it isn't EWU doing so well as the star of this thread indicated, but rather its we have been doing so poorly and we just gave them the improvement and consistency.

It’s Eastern Washington University. Always will be.

Let's hope not CDA
Because EWU and MSU have been eating our lunch on more than the Football field far far too long

AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
1972 said:
They have been very good at the quarterback position consistently.

Same with NDSU...theyve had a decade straight of NFL QBs on an FCS roster.

Well, lets not get carried away here. Wentz? Yes. Jensen? Not so much....Stick? The jury is still out.

Jury still out? I’m sorry but when you are drafted in the NFL as a QB in the 5th round, ya you were an NFL QB. Doesn’t mean you will stick around for years to come or be a starter, but being drafted in the NFL as a QB is an incredibly difficult feat to accomplish. At the very least, it speaks to a skill set offered at the position which rarely exists for a college football team, let alone an FCS program.

2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
1972 said:

Well, lets not get carried away here. Wentz? Yes. Jensen? Not so much....Stick? The jury is still out.

Jury still out? I’m sorry but when you are drafted in the NFL as a QB in the 5th round, ya you were an NFL QB. Doesn’t mean you will stick around for years to come or be a starter, but being drafted in the NFL as a QB is an incredibly difficult feat to accomplish. At the very least, it speaks to a skill set offered at the position which rarely exists for a college football team, let alone an FCS program.

The Dangling Participle: You have constructed a sentence where the Adverb and Verb - "rarely exists" is modifying "position" rather than the intended "skill set". It therefore reads that you believe QB is a position that rarely exists for a college football team. This would only be true if one were referring to Montana State University.

Freshman English 101 at the U of M but probably not covered at NDSU's 'Merican 101 Intro to Menu Readin'

SaskGriz said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

The Dangling Participle: You have constructed a sentence where the Adverb and Verb - "rarely exists" is modifying "position" rather than the intended "skill set". It therefore reads that you believe QB is a position that rarely exists for a college football team. This would only be true if one were referring to Montana State University.

Freshman English 101 at the U of M but probably not covered at NDSU's 'Merican 101 Intro to Menu Readin'
:lol: :lol: :clap:

2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
1972 said:

Let’s see. Wentz is hurt all the time and is about one pick away from taking a few D-cells to the dome, given where he “plays”. I know for a fact most in DelCo view him as a weird, Opie-like fella who has been a bust so far. Jansen was good at handing off. Stick? Jury is still out, but he looks pretty good at handing off, too.

SaskGriz said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

This is one damn funny post! :lol:

SaskGriz said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Haha! Imagine a menu without pictures. 60% of those in the Dakota Four Footprint would starve.

tnt said:
UM excels in the sciences. Trouble is most is prep for grad school not employment or needed STEM related jobs.
That is a strength of UM, not "trouble." Jobs do not have to occur after undergraduate school. Many of the finer jobs require a graduate education and UM has done a very good job of preparing STEM students for advancement. When I started a Ph.D program in chemistry at a PAC school after a UM B.S., I was far ahead of those from the big schools that put their energy in grad. programs at the expense of their undergrad programs.

Back